HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM-PIT blockbuster

Old
04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
JustinCider

vCash: 500
well, I guess we'll see. I just see that pens have a couple very valuable assets and they are locked up at big money. It would be one thing to move them for garbage, but I don't see Hemsky, Gagner, and Gilbert as garbage. Obviously most pen fans don't like this deal. I like the pens, I just think in this salary cap era, you have a small window to win, and next season when both Malkin and Crosby will be making big money, I believe it will be very tough for the pens to ice a deep team that has a chance to win the cup. On the other hand, they are in much better shape than the Oilers and they do have some very valuable assets in Malkin and Crosby if they ever decide to go another direction.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:33 PM
ds246pit

Oh i don't think the players coming back are garbage at all. I think they are all talented guys but none are in the league with Sid and you have to ask is a team with Sid/Malkin really a downgrade from a Malkin/Hemsky/Gagner/Gilbert team when they do have some other talented wingers in the system.

If money becomes really tight they could move a Kunitz making 4 million per season for a draft pick or something along that lines.

I guess my overall argument is that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Right now this team has no cap issues so why mess with the chemistry to fix a problem that currently does not exist.

If at the end of next year its looking really bleak and there is no other way to survive then consider moving one of the 3 best players in the league but before that time comes.

ds246pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:37 PM
FlyingPenguin

I can't help but notice that the argument that the Pens need to save money in order to not be Tampa Bay North tends to come up when someone is trying to justify why the Pens just HAVE to trade Crosby, Malkin, or Crosby AND Malkin to their favourite team.

FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

There are about 20 guys who will be moved to free up cap space before Sid and Geno. I'm not sure why people can't see this?

For those of you saying that the Pens NEED to move one of their stars I have a few questions for you, because you obviously know things that I don't:

What is the salary cap going to be for each of the next 5 years?

Are all of the Pens prospects going to be busts and never be able to play in the NHL?

How is the new CBA going to work?

Is there still a hard cap?

Is there going to be a soft cap?

Is there going to be a Franchise option?

Will GMs going to be able to retain salary in trades?

Will GMs be able to trade cap space?

Thanks in advance.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote