HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Draft Talk : Live From Montreal!

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Jacob Josefson already on the verge of making amends for his poor World Juniors....1G, 3A in his first game. Strong first games for Jeremy Morin and Toni Rajala as well.

Old
04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
It doesn't absolutely mean that he will be drafted that high, you're right. What it does show though is that there are some people are extremely high on the kid, so there's potential for him to go higher.

Bottom line is, nothing means anything until June 26th. All I was trying to say was that Kassian has all the tools that generally make a team reach for a player.
You're right. That's the beauty of this year's draft. There's so much depth and quality in the first 40-45 players that it could go any number of ways. Kassian if one of the very few players in that group that has the ability to play the intimidation card, as well as having an interesting talent level. I'm sure that a team that lacks in this area or that's stuck in the pre-lockout frame of mind will take fairly early.

Old
04-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Fozz

I'm trying to make up my mind as to what the Habs need most when it comes to this year's draft and I can't decide between the choices below.

I think we are set on the back end and that we're somewhat thin in front. That said, what do you think would be the biggest need?

- a big power-forward type with some skills?
- a true sniper that's dangerous around the net? or
- a smart play making pivot with vision and smarts?

Old
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I'm trying to make up my mind as to what the Habs need most when it comes to this year's draft and I can't decide between the choices below.

I think we are set on the back end and that we're somewhat thin in front. That said, what do you think would be the biggest need?

A big centerman...

I would have that tendancy to for grit/skills and sniping mentality. Thing is you can adress those during the draft but then chances are you would have needed a 2nd to be sure that it's not that much of a crapshoot but we can't go back....

But in the 1st round, while I kinda contradict myself 'cause Holland is in my list, I would want a guy with some grit that could score. Guys like Werek, Glennie, Kreider, Kassian etc....I think that Glennie is slowly but surely rising in my top 5.

I personnally want to change the philosophy of this team (not sure that's what this management want) but I want to be bigger, meaner and grittier. But skills can't be overlooked in the process that's for sure.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post

Personnaly, I think we need to get a top line prospect. We may not really have great playmakers, but we just don't have a pure sniper. Since you can't teach the goal scoring instinct, I go with the guy that has it.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

We need a guy like Kassian, badly!

Old
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Personnaly, I think we need to get a top line prospect. We may not really have great playmakers, but we just don't have a pure sniper. Since you can't teach the goal scoring instinct, I go with the guy that has it.
A.Kost is about as pure a sniper as we will be able to draft. You could lump D'agostini in there, if he can be a bit more consistant he can put up 30.

I think the size thing is overblown, most of our prospects up front are 6' or more (Pacioretty White Chipchura Maxwell Quailer).

Old
04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Personally, I'm a believer in BPA at almost all costs. But for a pure sniper, I think Landon Ferraro is your guy.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
A.Kost is about as pure a sniper as we will be able to draft. You could lump D'agostini in there, if he can be a bit more consistant he can put up 30.

I think the size thing is overblown, most of our prospects up front are 6' or more (Pacioretty White Chipchura Maxwell Quailer).
Size thing is not overblown as far as prospects who can actually play in the NHL. Chances are this upcoming 1st rounder will play in the NHL while it's still unknown as far as White, Chipchura and Quailer are concerned. Though I'm a big fan of Maxwell and I really like what Quailer as done, I think that what it's talked about here when there's a talk about size is that grit needs to be part of it as well. And so far neither is Maxwell and Quailer in that category. Not saying they won't be good hockey players in the process, I keep comparing Maxwell top potential to a poor man's Brad Richards and Richards is not the grittiest guy. And Qualier looks to me like a Blake Wheeler so if it turns out that way, with or without grit, we'd be fine. Still, you can disregard what toughess and grit can bring to a team and if he plays in your top 6, I can't see this as a disadvantage.

White can end up at best as a 3rd lineman. I was hard on him but really like what he did this year in Hamilton. Cooled off, or so it seems to me as the year passed by, but I didn't expect what I've seen from him this year. So grit is not a problem as far as he's concerned. I'm also under the impression that 6'0 is not considered so big anymore. I would bet you that when there's a talk about getting bigger, it starts at 6'2'' 200lbs....

I would add that you need strong players. David Fischer is tall,might be close to 200lbs but there's ton of room for improvement as far as strength is concerned.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

D'Ags is no top line prospect.

We don't have any top snipers in the juniors, NCAA, or AHL/ECHL. Personnaly, I'd go for Werek : sniper, big body, can play center, great instincts, great shot.

Old
04-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

For this year's draft, IMO in the 1st round, we should try to get a center with alot of skill, preferably with some size, but not necessarily... we need a first line center prospect, badly. Glennie, Leblanc or Holland if he drops to us, even Jordan Caron...

BUT, as there are alot of good sized prospects this year, I'd prefer that way, especially aggressive, but a bit less skilled ones. I have a man crush on Kassian, he's exactly what the doctor ordered for us, but I wonder if he'll fall to us. Also, Kreider and Werek should go in the 1st too, or early to mid 2nd. I wouldn't mind Philippe Paradis, in fact it would even be nice. In the later rounds, I'd like us to grab Marcus Foligno, he could become a beast...

Old
04-10-2009, 01:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
For this year's draft, IMO in the 1st round, we should try to get a center with alot of skill, preferably with some size, but not necessarily... we need a first line center prospect, badly. Glennie, Leblanc or Holland if he drops to us, even Jordan Caron...

BUT, as there are alot of good sized prospects this year, I'd prefer that way, especially aggressive, but a bit less skilled ones. I have a man crush on Kassian, he's exactly what the doctor ordered for us, but I wonder if he'll fall to us. Also, Kreider and Werek should go in the 1st too, or early to mid 2nd. I wouldn't mind Philippe Paradis, in fact it would even be nice. In the later rounds, I'd like us to grab Marcus Foligno, he could become a beast...
do you seriously think Jordan Caron will become a first line center in the NHL?

Old
04-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Fozz

Quote:

That's why I also put a choice there for a playmaker/cerebral passer. How much more dangerous would Kostitsyn and D'agostini be if they had a Marc Savard type guy to feed them? I just don't see that from any in our players or prospects. Maxwell might be closest thing to that but he's still not good enough at it IMO.

Old
04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Who knows, do you have a crystal ball ?

Old
04-10-2009, 03:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

For anyone interested, the list for the combine is out.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=417452

Old
04-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Mathletic

where should Casavant go in this draft?

and what would people say if the Canadiens got out of the 3rd round with Mikko Koskinen (goalie from finland) ... if he ever makes it to the 3rd ...?

Last edited by Mathletic: 04-10-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old
04-10-2009, 05:59 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
not a chance in hell.......he's a RW

Old
04-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
For anyone interested, the list for the combine is out.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=417452
I can't wait to see how Budish does.

Thank you for that.

Old
04-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
We need tough skilled forwards. Who fits that bill besides Kassian?

Old
04-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
We need tough skilled forwards. Who fits that bill besides Kassian?
Jeremy Morin led the USNTDP team in goals, and was second in penalty minutes. I've seen him ranked all over the place - it's tough to say whether he'll go closer to 10th or 30th overall.

Old
04-11-2009, 12:47 AM
sukimono

If we get eliminated in the first round (let's hope don't.), um, what pick # are we likely to get ?

I soooo want Philippe Paradis. (as a 2nd pick.)

Last edited by sukimono: 04-11-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old
04-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Mathletic

poor Riopel who gets eliminated in a 1-0 loss

Old
04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
FrankMTL

So depending on tonight's results for the NY Rangers and the Blue Jackets, we will be drafting between 17-19 at the draft....unless we win the Stanley Cup of course..

20. Calgary- 96 points
19. NY Rangers- 93 points
18. Montreal- 93 points
17. Columbus- 92 points
16. Florida- 91 points

What players do you hope are available at that rank? Would you be willing to trade to move down to grab a second round pick? This draft seems to have a lot of dark horses that should be around in the second..

Old
04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
So depending on tonight's results for the NY Rangers and the Blue Jackets, we will be drafting between 17-19 at the draft....unless we win the Stanley Cup of course..

20. Calgary- 96 points
19. NY Rangers- 93 points
18. Montreal- 93 points
17. Columbus- 92 points
16. Florida- 91 points

What players do you hope are available at that rank? Would you be willing to trade to move down to grab a second round pick? This draft seems to have a lot of dark horses that should be around in the second..
isn't there some form of ranking that if you go to round 2 you draft later, then round 3 and so on?

Old
04-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
isn't there some form of ranking that if you go to round 2 you draft later, then round 3 and so on?
yeah, I also thought they redid the ranking after each round.

We finished 1st in East and 3rd in the league last year, yet we were supposed to draft 25th.

Closed Thread