HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Resting some players for the last game? Can we call some guys up?

Old
04-10-2009, 03:48 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Pitts has an history with NJ, they clearly have their number, they have no complex against them, what is unfortunately not our case, every time we face NJ its like we were mentally done even before the puck is dropped....
I didn't know that, I know that pitt and philly have some real good battles. To me you should be pushing to win every game, so if they sit people it could bite them in the ass. I wouldn't take Marty so lightly, then again if I had Malkin and Crosby on my team perhaps I wouldn't care as much.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I didn't know that, I know that pitt and philly have some real good battles. To me you should be pushing to win every game, so if they sit people it could bite them in the ass. I wouldn't take Marty so lightly, then again if I had Malkin and Crosby on my team perhaps I wouldn't care as much.
It's the playoffs. No one is relishing any particular matchup. The Rangers, to me, are the only weak club in the bunch.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:55 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
How do you know Pitt would rather face NJ then philly? just wondering, I know NJ is struggling now, but who's to say they won't turn it around. Plus Pit is tied with philly but have more wins so if the flyers don't get a point, they will move below Pitt.
The Devs were booed on home ice just this week, following a long, bad slump.

Everyone wants to play them in the East (all the lower seeds that is).

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
The Devs were booed on home ice just this week, following a long, bad slump.

Everyone wants to play them in the East (all the lower seeds that is).
I don't want the Habs to face them, they own us in NJ. I don't care that they are slumping, I wouldn't take them lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It's the playoffs. No one is relishing any particular matchup. The Rangers, to me, are the only weak club in the bunch.
That's not what other posters are saying. They are saying pitt will sit out players against us so they can face nj, I don't agree.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 04:08 PM
CPrice

Despite the Devils recent slump, I still think they are the top team in the East. When this team pulls it together they are a real force.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 04:43 PM
NewGuy

I think if there's a lesson to be learned from the last 15 years it's never underestimate the Devils.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Lucius

Quote:
That's not what other posters are saying. They are saying pitt will sit out players against us so they can face nj, I don't agree.
I know, I am agreeing with you

Old
04-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
If the Pens went out and sat some players to purposely get the 2nd place last year... , they're certainly not above choosing NJ for their opponents by sitting some of their players. I still remember how they played that night, it's clear they all wanted the loss.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 07:58 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I want Washington. We'll do better against them. Not win, but better. There is a small chance that the crowd can go into Jose's head. Then miracles can happen by winning some games away and we could have a surprise.

I still don't see us winning against Wash but I totally don't see us winning against the Bruins.
Dude.. I've always respected you.. but what's the point of critiquing the team after the games, etc.. or even showing up in the GDT if you don't think we can win?

I just expected you, of all people, to have a bit of faith.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:18 PM
HFboarder*

I hope to see a lose tomorrow night.
**** it! Bring the ruins!

HFboarder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:26 PM
sakiaba

I think you're being a bit harsh... the fact is that no matter who the Canadiens play, they're underdogs for a reason. We'd all love to see them upset Washington or (especially) Boston, but given how fragile they've looked in the past few months, you have to admit that the odds aren't in their favour.

That said, I agree with Whitesnake; Theo and a finesse team like the Caps seems to be the better matchup than does Boston. And, frankly, the mere thought of being eliminated by the Bruins just made me vomit blood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Dude.. I've always respected you.. but what's the point of critiquing the team after the games, etc.. or even showing up in the GDT if you don't think we can win?

I just expected you, of all people, to have a bit of faith.

sakiaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Looks like Tanguay is getting a night off to rest, could be others.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/272800.html

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:18 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Schneider no question.. Hamrlik? I think he really deserves to be rested..

I would rest the first line and call Maxwell or Desharnais from Hamilton.. Play Stewart and Laraque of course..

thoughts?
I don't know why we would call those young kids up for one game......Hamilton is headed to the playoffs and reached 100 points for the second time in history this year. Leave the young kids down there, they are one of the top AHL clubs this year and one of the favorites to win the Calder Cup. I would rest some of our players and put in Stewart and Laraque today.

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Schneider no question.. Hamrlik? I think he really deserves to be rested..

I would rest the first line and call Maxwell or Desharnais from Hamilton.. Play Stewart and Laraque of course..

thoughts?
So..you want to have Maxwell, D'Ago, Stewie, Laraque, Metro, Weber, O'Byrne, Brisebois with A.Kost and Plek that aren't playing that well (although better last game)...
We still need to win this game because our style matches Washington much better than the Bruins. Even if we're the Bruins's Nemesis and a Series vs them is always entertaining, on paper we have a much better chance to win vs WSH.

I want us to win tonight. If Schneider's shoulder is as he said it is, then there's no need to rest him.
All the players are going to have a 4-5day rest regardless of if they play tonight or not.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

This game means nothing. We have plenty of meaningful games ahead of us. Rest your injured players, your veterans. It's common sense.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:04 PM
C4KOMI

Janik something.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakiaba View Post
I think you're being a bit harsh... the fact is that no matter who the Canadiens play, they're underdogs for a reason. We'd all love to see them upset Washington or (especially) Boston, but given how fragile they've looked in the past few months, you have to admit that the odds aren't in their favour.

That said, I agree with Whitesnake; Theo and a finesse team like the Caps seems to be the better matchup than does Boston. And, frankly, the mere thought of being eliminated by the Bruins just made me vomit blood...
I disagree. Whether we finish 8th or 7th, people shouldn't underestimate us.
We've had a season full of ups and downs, the media didn't help us with all the crap they published throughout the year, the centennial distractions, the injuries, Carbo firing, Kovalev resting, etc.. Somehow we managed to pull through to make the POs. I don't care what anybody says, but that shows there's a lot of character in that locker room.
Going into the POs, Lang might be the only one to still be on IR, so we'll have a pretty good team dressed.

Koivu/Kovalev are known PO performers. Add Tanguay that was crucial and amazing during the Colorado cup run, and that makes a pretty dangerous line.
If Plek/D'Ago/A.Kost can work like it did yesterday, it won't be a line to dismiss easily.
If Lappy's 3rd line can be as effective as it has, they can turn out to be very crucial to our team seeing as the 3rd line is one of the most important one in POs.
If we can finish with a strong checking line with Metro/Higgy/Dandy, we won't be a team easily beaten.

Komi's game vs Boston might have woken him up a bit and he seems to feed on intense games. He also gained a lot of experience from last year's POs.
Markov should be back and I'm sure he'll have a much better performance than last year.
With Schneider on the point, they'll be a force on the PP again. Matthew brings a lot of experience which is always important for the POs.
Hamrlik knows what's coming too and I'm sure he'll be much more effective than during the season.
Gorges will be Gorges as he's always been.
If Weber can stabilize a spot to be used as 5th-6th with Breezer/Bouillon, it'll not only make our D better but give us more options for the PP too.

People that say we have NO chance to win are greatly underestimating us and forget we almost never had a completely full healthy roster all season long.
We finished 1st last year with a weaker team (on paper), so there's no reason to say we don't stand a chance in PO. All the players that underperformed this year will now have the opportunity to start from scratch.

All the people that criticize some of the players regarding their ''heart'', ''integrity'' or ''leadership'' will have their answers come PO time. We'll be able to see who steps up, and who lets us down.

I think our team was battered at the end of the season and we managed to get our precious pts out of the best team in the East. That is a job accomplished by our players that will turn the page after tonight, relax, and come focused for POs.

We will rally!

I BELIEVE!

Last edited by Kriss E: 04-11-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

I am surprised that Schneider is in, but I am thrilled to see that Gainey is going to give Weber a chance on defense.

I think the kid basically "has to work out" if we're going to survive long enough to get Markov back.

Old
04-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Either team is a toss up on who will win vs. Boston or Washington. I am all for sitting players for the last game tonight although it would suck to have purchased tickets for this match up BUT I would rather sit players incase of injuries. Wouldn't it suck if we iced the whole team and something similar happens to the team like what happened in the Leafs game.
I would be so pissed if Tanguay or any other of our top players got injured for a meaningless game like tonight's. Yes we COULD move up in the standings ONLY if the Rags lose but is it worth taking the chance? I vote no.
Oh and btw..what is our season record against the Caps?

Last edited by Habsfan2992: 04-11-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

Looks like they only sit him...and O'Byrne

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Looks like they only sit him...and O'Byrne
And I wouldn't call O'Byrne "resting"