HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Question

Old
04-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Wooty

vCash: 500
Skate Question

How do you know when your skates are worn out and it is time to replace them? I do mean by feel. Obviously you can see skates that are broken and are physically damaged.

I know as a runner, when the road starts getting harder, I am loosing cushioning and need new running shoes. How do you tell with ice hockey skates?

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
When they start getting soft is the big thing people replace them for, the boot will break down and it won't be as stiff, and you won't get as much energy transfer out of it.

You could also wear out the outsole, happens on some skates. It starts sagging and softening like the boot.

You can also get padding breaking down, and that can affect the feel of the boot and the support it gives to your ankle.

I should also mention that composite skates help with the problems of outsoles and boots softening. You will have issues with the foam and the skate breaking over time still though.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 05:08 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
When they start getting soft is the big thing people replace them for, the boot will break down and it won't be as stiff, and you won't get as much energy transfer out of it.

You could also wear out the outsole, happens on some skates. It starts sagging and softening like the boot.

You can also get padding breaking down, and that can affect the feel of the boot and the support it gives to your ankle.

I should also mention that composite skates help with the problems of outsoles and boots softening. You will have issues with the foam and the skate breaking over time still though.

^^ pretty much summed it up. Good post ^^

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Wooty

Thanks for the reply(ies)

I have lost about 70 pounds of weight and have really struggled getting my stride, balance and power back. It is hard to tell when your physical abilities have diminished and when your equipment is letting you down.

My backward skating is atrocious now and my speed is much lower then it used t be.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:37 AM
ClicheGuevara

IMO, it's 90% in the heel. If your heel no longer locks into place the skate is done.

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:08 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
Thanks for the reply(ies)

I have lost about 70 pounds of weight and have really struggled getting my stride, balance and power back. It is hard to tell when your physical abilities have diminished and when your equipment is letting you down.

My backward skating is atrocious now and my speed is much lower then it used t be.
It doesn't sound like your skates are what's messing things up. You lost a hefty amount of weight. It's no doubt changed your balance and flexibility. That's going to effect your stride, which in turn effect all aspects of your skating.

In time you will adjust to your new weight. So give it a little bit before heading the shop for new skates.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
It doesn't sound like your skates are what's messing things up. You lost a hefty amount of weight. It's no doubt changed your balance and flexibility. That's going to effect your stride, which in turn effect all aspects of your skating.

In time you will adjust to your new weight. So give it a little bit before heading the shop for new skates.
This. Unless you're dying to buy new skates anyway see if there's another reason for your dip in performance. I wouldn't expect a sudden loss of quickness and balance if your skates are on their way out -- it takes a long time for them to wear down so the decline would be more gradual and less noticeable.

Congratulations for dropping 70lbs, that's quite an achievement. I find it odd that you lost all that weight and feel slower, though -- you should be tearing around the ice without the extra weight to slow you down. I think you may have lost some muscle mass in the process. If that's the case please be careful and pace yourself -- your cardio and your endurance may not be the same as before. If your stride isn't as explosive as before you may need to build back up to that. Only thing skate related I can think of is you might experiment with a deeper hollow. If you're lighter your blade might not "dig" into the ice as deeply so you'd have less traction and it would compromise your pushoff. Here I'm just speculating because I've never been skinny.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:25 AM
stick9

Quote:
Only thing skate related I can think of is you might experiment with a deeper hollow. If you're lighter your blade might not "dig" into the ice as deeply so you'd have less traction and it would compromise your pushoff.
Good call.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Wooty

Good points.

I am skating on very old vapor 8's, it is time for an update anyway. I do have a harder time getting comfortable in my existing skates, it seems the lacing and ankle lock is constantly changing on me.

I do feel weaker in my skating but I am also a year older and have been doing medium distance running. My fast muscles seem to have left me.