HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long term deals for any of our free agents?

Old
04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Long term deals for any of our free agents?

What do you guys think?

obviously Koivu and Kovalev are too old for that type of deal, but considering TanguayHiggins/Pleks/Komi are all also up for new deals, would you want to see any of them signed to the type of deals the Red Wings (and others) are handing out?

imo, Higgins and Pleks are at a point development wise that they haven't shown nearly enough to warrant any serious financial commitment, so it wouldn't make much sense for either side to sign on long term.

Tanguay and Komi, however, I'd consider.

If Tanguay really wanted to stay here, and was willing to take a 3.5-4M cap hit, front loaded, over 7-8 years, I think I'd pull the trigger.

Pretty much the same for Komi, closer to the 3.5M...

don't know if either would accept that, but I think it would be solid for us. Would lock in two pretty good pieces long term at a very reasonable cap hit, something that would make it easier to build a contender than by having to go out and sign older UFA's at above market deals in the future.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:16 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Starting to feel a lot more like football these days with the contracts.
I don't know, worries me these long contracts

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I'm not a fan of the long term deals.
11 years for Franzen is ludicrous. Giving contracts to players until they'll be 40-41 is ridiculous. Zetterberg I can understand, even if I think it's too much of a risk with any player, I still get it cuz he's a superstar. But Franzen??

So, I don't want any of our players to be locked up for more than 5-6years tops. The only guy I'd be tempted to give a long term deal to is Markov but he's under contract for another 2years.
I wouldn't give 8-9-10year deals to any of our players.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:18 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
What do you guys think?

obviously Koivu and Kovalev are too old for that type of deal, but considering TanguayHiggins/Pleks/Komi are all also up for new deals, would you want to see any of them signed to the type of deals the Red Wings (and others) are handing out?

imo, Higgins and Pleks are at a point development wise that they haven't shown nearly enough to warrant any serious financial commitment, so it wouldn't make much sense for either side to sign on long term.

If Tanguay really wanted to stay here, and was willing to take a 3.5-4M cap hit, front loaded, over 7-8 years, I think I'd pull the trigger.

don't know if either would accept that, but I think it would be solid for us. Would lock in two pretty good pieces long term at a very reasonable cap hit, something that would make it easier to build a contender than by having to go out and sign older UFA's at above market deals in the future.
No one Hab free agent is really a franchise guy worth paying big bucks to keep.
It might be better to splurge for one or two bonafide free agent stars over the next couple of years. They would be complemented with guys like Weber, Subban, McDonough, Pacioretty, Maxwell and D'Agostini to name a few.
If the brass picks the right free agent signings from other teams, the Habs can be strong for the next two to three years, while managing the cap with solid prospects.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:19 PM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I don't know, worries me these long contracts
Me too Yoda.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Franzen just got 3.9M/year for 11 years. Way too long IMO but that was the only way they could fit him under the cap. They prolly hope he retires at 35-36...

I don't think Higgins/Plekanec are worth long contracts. I could see Komi/Tanguay getting a 6 year deal though. Not that I'm all for it. I still have doubts about Tanguay.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Toro

Long term contracts up to 6 yrs is risky enough. Anything longer is just stupid. Bob won't do a deal longer than 6 yrs.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Habskrieg

I would sign Tanguay for 3-4 years. Komi 2-3, markov as well. Pleks and Higgins, hard to say, I still want to see these two develop, but i wouldn't sign for 3 years or more.

long term on the lines of 10 years? nah.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:52 PM
C4KOMI

long term makes sense if money
given is not above 3 or 4 mil$
since the cap changes from year to year.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

This. Tanguay plays a smart game, so as long as he works hard in the gym and keeps himself in game shape, he'll keep producing enough to be worth the price.

A long term for Komisarek might be a little premature. Unless it's a ridiculous lengthy contract like 10-11 years, there's just no way to cushion the cap hit because he just turned 27.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Rgolt

only player i would give a long contract to is tanguay

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Bullsmith

5-6 years is the maximum contract length I'm comfortable with, and even then I like 4 deals a lot more. Pleks and Higgins have had such bad years, really, that maybe their price is down. If they'd take three or four year deals in the 2.5 range I think it's worth it. I have a feeling Pleks is gone, though. Komi's had a setback year, but is still worth big money and I'd like to sign him for whatever it costs pretty much. Of the other UFA's I'd sign Tanguay for four years, but no one else.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Lucius

The problem is the 10-11 cap.

I would try and resign a lot of the free agents upcoming, but except in special cases, keep the deals short.

Koivu - A semi long-term deal (2-3 years) to let him finish his career.
Kovalev - A nice one year contract, so we have flexibility in 10-11.
Tanguay - Again, one year. Nothing personal, just leaving flexibility. Likely would need longer though.
Lang - May have to move on.
Higgins - I'd try and give him a decent length contract given his bargaining position is low.
Plekanec - See above.
Kostopolous - A one year deal.
Latendresse - A few years is normal for guys at his age.
Schneider - One year deal again, so we have freedom at 10-11.
Bouillon - I'd let him go.
Dandenault - Again, let him go somewhere where he can play regularly on D.
Komisarek - Might need to give him a few years to keep him.
Brisebois - Retirement.
D'Agostini - A couple years.
Stewart - A couple years.

The key is flexibility in 10-11. Anyone who is older should not get more than a single year if we can avoid it. Hopefully some of our veterans will play ball on that.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Miller Time

Seems like most people would shy away from the long term (6+years) deals, which was my initial feeling on the matter as well...

but on the other hand, I can see guys like Komi/Tanguay, in their prime and right now valuable enough that at least 1 or 2 teams make a strong run at them, requiring a huge cap hit on a shorter, 2-3-4 year deal.

Do we really have the ability, or the desire, to match a 5M $ offer to Komi? Do we really doubt that NYI or ATL will hesitate to throw that kind of money at him?
Or ditto for Tanguay, whose likely to be in high demand once Hossa and the Sedins get signed.

thing with the long term deals is that the team gets a smaller cap hit while giving the player the security of years. Front loading also gives the player the ability to make the deal even more valuable, assuming they have half-decent financial advise (earning solid interests of the early money will make the final "total" value of the contract greater than if they received equal payments throughout)

if you take away the years, you have to give more $$ and take the bigger hit.

I dunno, I guess I'm torn, but with each new signing we hear about, the pressure on the habs gets that much greater because the bar is still being set high(years or $$), and given how weak the UFA market is shaping up to be, guys like Komi/Tanguay (in their prime with many potentially good years ahead of them) could stand to cash in.

i hope gainey has some master plan that's quietly coming together, otherwise we could be in some serious trouble.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote