HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kopitar Signs SEVEN YEAR, $47.6 million ($6.8MM/yr) Contract Extension!

Old
10-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Mike Richards
And Brendan Morrow. Shane Doan does it too. Jarome Iginla? Yep him too. Deeker is clueless again.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:20 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

The deal impresses me, and I give props where props are due, and DL gets them here.
I have to assume that JMFJ may be next and soon. DL still has a ways to go to completely win me over, but this sure makes it hard to question desire to stick to his plan!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:51 PM
deeker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Mike Richards
Um, no. Little Richards isn't striking fear into anybody, and I don't even think he hits very often, from my recollection anyway.

I really think the only comparable is Morrow, and Dustin is better at it...

deeker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:10 PM
deeker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
And Brendan Morrow. Shane Doan does it too. Jarome Iginla? Yep him too. Deeker is clueless again.
Why are you TRYING to talk smack? Don't be such a hater LOL.

Morrow - covered that already

Doan - hits HALF as much a Dustin

Iginla - wow, anybody that knows anything knows that the dude plays a SOFT game for his size. new to the game?

deeker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Why are you TRYING to talk smack? Don't be such a hater LOL.

Morrow - covered that already

Doan - hits HALF as much a Dustin

Iginla - wow, anybody that knows anything knows that the dude plays a SOFT game for his size. new to the game?

The image you have included is very fitting with this post. I congratulate you.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
crazedcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I think it was slightly higher than Kopitar was worth right now.....but it is probably a progressive contract that starts off somewhere at $4-$5 million and ends somewhere around $7-$8 million, so it is just about right for Anze. I am not upset at the contract at all.....in fact I hate Lombardi 50% less than I did 24 hours ago. He really impressed me on this one.
Any word on the salary/yr instead of the cap hit yet?

crazedcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedcanuck View Post
Any word on the salary/yr instead of the cap hit yet?
Not yet.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:04 AM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

Looking back, don't you guys think we should have gotten more of a Perry/Getzlaf ($5.325m cap hit) kind of deal out of Anze rather than a hefty cap hit of $6.8/year? I still doubt that Lombardi is going to be able to keep all the players he wants to keep with the salary cap going down in the next few years.

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBlack87 View Post
Looking back, don't you guys think we should have gotten more of a Perry/Getzlaf ($5.325m cap hit) kind of deal out of Anze rather than a hefty cap hit of $6.8/year? I still doubt that Lombardi is going to be able to keep all the players he wants to keep with the salary cap going down in the next few years.
That's interesting that you bring that up. I actually think about it all the time I watch Getzlaf play. I like Kopi but I like Getzlaf's game more.

Still happy though.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBlack87 View Post
I don't doubt it, but it is not overwhelmingly ridiculous considering Kopitar's age and I am just glad overall that it is locked and done and we don't have to worry about him for a long time.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:58 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

5.5-6mill cap hit would have been ideal, but I have confidence that in the end Kopitar will end up better than Getzlaf and be well worth his cap hit. I was thrilled when I he signed it and I'm still thrilled. There can be no true retrospective on this for another 3-4 years.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:33 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

I'm only questioning the number becasue DL has talked about not paying others based on potential, but performance. Personally, I think with all the heat he took on other negotiations, that he caved for Kopitar to show fans that the team would spend. I think he had to do something similar. But I believe (sorry, no link)that Kopitar would have signed a similar deal at 5.5 to 5.8MM a year and that difference could have been used to bring in another superstar.

After Lombardi's comments in Hammond's interview about not paying a "ridiculous amount" for a left wing, does DL think he can get a Gaborik type player for under what he's paying Kopitar? Wouldn't everyone agree that a healthy Gaborik is easily worth 7MM a year? Does anyone else feel that DL will say that's simply too much to pay? And if he does, doesnt that throw into question why you would pay 6.8MM to Kopitar but not 7MM to Gaborik?

Can someone help me understand this?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:45 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I'm only questioning the number becasue DL has talked about not paying others based on potential, but performance. Personally, I think with all the heat he took on other negotiations, that he caved for Kopitar to show fans that the team would spend. I think he had to do something similar. But I believe (sorry, no link)that Kopitar would have signed a similar deal at 5.5 to 5.8MM a year and that difference could have been used to bring in another superstar.

After Lombardi's comments in Hammond's interview about not paying a "ridiculous amount" for a left wing, does DL think he can get a Gaborik type player for under what he's paying Kopitar? Wouldn't everyone agree that a healthy Gaborik is easily worth 7MM a year? Does anyone else feel that DL will say that's simply too much to pay? And if he does, doesnt that throw into question why you would pay 6.8MM to Kopitar but not 7MM to Gaborik?

Can someone help me understand this?
Well we can only hope that since DL has recently signed a player to $6.8mill contract that he doesn't view $6.5 - 7 (maybe 7.5?)mill as a "ridiculous amount". We have to hope he is referring to upwards of 8-10 mill, which I kind of agree with if that's the case. An $8mill-10mill contract for anything longer than 2 years would make it much harder to give Doughty the HUGE raise he will deserve.

I mean if you piece some things together, it would seem most likely that by 'ridiculous' he means that high. If he payed Kopi $6.8 but admitted that he isn't yet a first line center on a cup team, then even when basing that contract on potential, I would have to think in the dark recesses of his constantly spinning mind he thinks a legit first line winger is worth atleast $6.5mill.

What I really wonder is whether in DL's head Kopi's contract set the bar or whether he is willing to go higher for that ever elusive and annoyingly termed "right fit".

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote