HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NY Islanders re-sign Doug Weight

Old
04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I know that he is going to be a good help for the kids but I think that he should have tested the market. He had a pretty good year and I could see some winning teams giving him a one or two years contract. I mean it's better finishing a great career with a cup contender rather than one of the worse teams in the league.
i think weight's still keeping that option open with a 1-year contract though. They couldnt trade him this year because of his injury, but if the isles arnt in it next season, he could go to a contender for a playoff run.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM
E_Godard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I know that he is going to be a good help for the kids but I think that he should have tested the market. He had a pretty good year and I could see some winning teams giving him a one or two years contract. I mean it's better finishing a great career with a cup contender rather than one of the worse teams in the league.
maybe he really does enjoy playing on Long Island..

Quote:
This is not a case of seeing if the grass is greener on July 1, Weight said. I know what we have here with the Islanders and Im very excited about it. With a lot more health and whatever changes management makes, this team can go from the bottom of the league to the playoffs next season. I truly believe that.

I cant tell you how much Id kill to be in the playoffs next season in an Islanders uniform. This place has come to mean a lot to me. They gave me a chance last summer to prove I had something left, and we proved it together. Im going to play next season, and I hope its here.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:11 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Weight is really a great overall ambassador of the sport.

I see him having a long career in relation to the NHL with respect to no less than a broadcasting position. He may be brought in for "more" at some juncture. He's intelligent and personable. He can hold his own with any good ambassador of any of the other sports.

He has provided some real leadership on a young team, on and off the ice. Heck, he was running at pretty much a PPG pace for the first 25 games or so.

What the Islanders can expect next year is probably several more injuries that'll sideline him for stretches at a time. His body is showing some real wear and tear. Chances are too, that unless a lot of guys just don't pick up their game much, that he'll not get as much PP time as he generally has this season.

In general, any progress made by several of the younger players will see Weight's on-ice role diminish accordingly.

He's worth his 'Weight' in gold though when you take into account what he probably means to these kids and to the fans/organization. He'll help this team one way or another next season.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 08:02 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Unofficial player coach?
This.

I think Weight is a great influence to have around the kids, I felt the same way about Recchi with Stamkos. Gotta have the "old wise one" to help out the youngsters.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:03 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

The Islanders couldn't get anything good for him at the deadline so they are giving it another go.

That's probably the essence of why they resigned Weight.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:04 AM
The Thomas J.*

Does this mean Weight gets the C?

It's good to see that there are Vets out there like weight that are willing to stick with the franchise.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:01 AM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
Weight had a comeback season here and he will likely do it again next year. The circumstances are right for him here, he gets lots of ice time, plays a big role on the PP and gets to play big brother to a bunch of talented young kids that respect him and want to learn from him.

He already has a cup ring, his family likes it here and he's well liked. I don't know why some people have to harsh on it for no reason.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote