HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Reported to be Finalist to Play Winter Classic

Old
04-11-2009, 03:23 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
The Islanders PxP guy just say that we were playing the B's at Fenway... I dont know if he was just talking about this rumour at all.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
That would be absolutely awesome. Habs won't be in it because they've been in one recently. Rangers won't be because they have no national appeal, they have nobody exciting. Fenway Park would absolutely be so cool. I would find a way to get there.
The Rangers have no national appeal?
What are you kidding?
They've got arguable the 2nd biggest road presence among US teams behind Detroit with fans all over.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
and we are significantly bigger than pittsburg, but that doesn't stop the NHL from plastering crosby everywhere they can. It is what you get for having an NBA guy running the NHL, the NBA is a star league with star rules, hockey has always been the ultimate team sport.
I don't think the league is doing itself any favors by advertising strictly individuals. If they want to get anywhere they need to realize they should be building up all the rivalries again. But that's besides the point (probably because they'll never realize this).

If the team's going to be in one of these things I'd much rather it be against the Pens, because the only thing better than kicking Pittsburgh's ass would be doing it outside.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

The game is pretty much a lock for Boston, as the annual Christmas at Fenway was moved up a week for this December with no explanation given at the time.
I would love to see the Flyers at Fenway, but Peter Luukko seemed to want Beaver Stadium during the STH Town Hall Meeting I went to. He said Bettman was against it because he couldn't understand the significance of Happy Valley, blowing it off as not a major market. Luukko also wanted the Penguins as the opponent.
He also said what the CBC reported in February, that Bettman wanted the Flyers to explore hosting the WC at the Linc. Luukko said he's explained to Bettman that no one wants to watch hockey in 50 degree weather and rain.
Putting the Flyers in Fenway is an opportunity lost for the NHL, because the Flyers at Penn State would create a unique Winter Classic, even if the Penguins were not the opponent. But put the Pens and Flyers in Beaver Stadium and at least 100,000 fans will show up. The NHL can't do much better than that for fan support and potential ratings.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:33 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
The game is pretty much a lock for Boston, as the annual Christmas at Fenway was moved up a week for this December with no explanation given at the time.
I would love to see the Flyers at Fenway, but Peter Luukko seemed to want Beaver Stadium during the STH Town Hall Meeting I went to. He said Bettman was against it because he couldn't understand the significance of Happy Valley, blowing it off as not a major market. Luukko also wanted the Penguins as the opponent.
He also said what the CBC reported in February, that Bettman wanted the Flyers to explore hosting the WC at the Linc. Luukko said he's explained to Bettman that no one wants to watch hockey in 50 degree weather and rain.
Putting the Flyers in Fenway is an opportunity lost for the NHL, because the Flyers at Penn State would create a unique Winter Classic, even if the Penguins were not the opponent. But put the Pens and Flyers in Beaver Stadium and at least 100,000 fans will show up. The NHL can't do much better than that for fan support and potential ratings.
It would be amazing spectacle.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:41 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrit View Post
The Rangers have no national appeal?
What are you kidding?
They've got arguable the 2nd biggest road presence among US teams behind Detroit with fans all over.
Nobody except Rangers fans would ever want to watch them play. They have nobody to market, they are not an intriguing team. Then there are teams like Washington with the young superstars(Ovechkin, Semin, Green), Boston with the young superstars(Krejci, Kessel, Wideman), Philadelphia with the young superstars(Carter, Richards, Giroux), Chicago with the young superstars (Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Versteeg), Pittsburgh with the young superstars (Crosby, Malkin), see a pattern here? Then Detroit was the defending champion, best team in the league, exciting to watch. Buffalo, I don't know, maybe because it was a good environment for it? My point is the NHL is trying to market its best young up and coming players, not the old overpaid ones.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
The Eagles will never, ever, ever, let anyone lay down a hockey rink at the Linc. If I were Peter Luukko I would have told Bettman "Ok, you can ask Jeff Lurie and let me know what he says."

I think the Flyers want to host it because it would relieve themselves of the post-holiday road trip they always impose on themselves.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:05 PM
UseYourAllusion

That road trip is circus related correct? All I know is it always screwed me over on winter break from college.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's because of Disney on Ice. Somehow, they think that's more important. If I get to a STH town hall meeting, that's the first question I'm asking.

With the Olympics next season, it's a condensed schedule, and it reeked havoc on the Flyers in 2006 when they had to go on they have to play 11 games in a row on the road. Even though they got the break, they were out of gas and they paid for it in the playoffs. They may be forced into something similar.

Last edited by GKJ: 04-11-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old
04-12-2009, 12:07 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Not sure if I believe that. I think the NHL would want to either play to their biggest rivalry (Boston-Montreal) or their biggest market (the Rangers)
Exactly, Flyers vs. Boston makes absolutely zero sense. Not to mention, there is pressure for the game to involve a Canadian team next season, combined with the Fenway leaks. Bruins vs. Habs is a much more marketable game and makes more sense. Then I'd go with Toronto vs. Rangers in Toronto the following year, so you'd knock off all 6 "Original Six" teams, have a Canadian-based game, and involve 2 large television markets.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Again, Canadian teams can forget it. A good way to make fans south of the border disinterested is to have a team from Canada in the game. The Habs were talking about hosting their own outdoor game, separate from the Winter Classic because they feel they will never be in one, maybe against Toronto. Canadian teams will never be included in the Winter Classic as long as NBC is involved.