HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs-Bruins 1st Round prediction

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Habs in 4 16 3.45%
Habs in 5 15 3.23%
Habs in 6 129 27.80%
Habs in 7 72 15.52%
Bruins in 4 41 8.84%
Bruins in 5 119 25.65%
Bruins in 6 60 12.93%
Bruins in 7 12 2.59%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-12-2009, 12:29 AM
MoonlightGraham

vCash: 500
I optimistically voted Habs in 7.

I think the Habs might somehow find a way to win if Markov plays. Price has to be great and Plekanec really has to step up his game. I have high hopes for the Koivu line, him and Kovalev are known to be awesome in the playoffs. I can't wait to see what they'll do with Tanguay. It's a lot of ifs, but we always seem to find a way to win in the playoffs against the Bruins. But honestly, if Markov doesn't play, I expect the Bruins to take win in 5. Montreal-Boston games are always great, and I'm looking forward to what should be an interesting first round.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Habskrieg

I want Habs in 4! But my guts say this going to 7 games.

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Erika

Bruins in 5, with or without Markov...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I'd have a lot more hope for this series if Plekanec wasn't playing like such a ****ing ****** right now. The guy is so small and weak he spends 75% of his shifts losing battles in his own zone. He's holding on to the puck to long, and never, ever wins a powerplay faceoff. I want the real Plekanec back along with a healthy Markov and I think we have a chance.
My fear is that playoff time is not the time to have a change of heart and grow a pair. If you're scared during the season, watchout in the playoffs.

then again, I hope I'm wrong because I'll never hear the end of it at work (all Sens fans.)

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And I thought that being a fan was to still have opinions that might not go the way you would want it to go. Who says that Boston will be undisciplined? How about playing hard without getting penalties? By the way, the quote your responded to was about which players on our side had the ability to injure other players from other teams. And the answer is nobody. Now that this is settled, as far as winning games are concerned, I just don't see it. I don't have the utmost confidence in Carey yet. I don't have confidence that Pleks will upgrade his game, nor do I think that there's enough depth up front and on D, especially if Markov isn't there, to go through that Boston team who, compared to last year, has THEIR Markov in full health, has way more confidence as a team and against us and who is just a better team in itself.

I believe that any bad team can beat a great team any given night.....but not win 4 games. I wish as hell that I'm wrong, that's what being a fan REALLY is. Despite any predictions that goes against your team, that you prefer being wrong and see your team win, instead of hoping you're right just to say that you were. I know a couple of posters like that, I know I'm not one of them.
Nobody on our side has the ''ability'' (don't know why you call this an ability) to injure someone on the other team?..The puniest player in the league can injure any player if he hits him at the exact spot needed. Perezhogin ended Primeau's career, granted he had gone through 300 concussions but still. Anybody can injure anybody, and guys like Komi/Hamrlik/Lappy/Lats/Stewie/A.Kost/Higgins/Kovalev/Laraque/Kosto are not little guys.

You say you don't have the outmost confidence in Price right now, and I agree. I think he's great, but do I think he can lead us to the SCF??..It's a far stretch.
That being said, I wouldn't bet on Thomas being better than Price.
And all you're doing is being negative.
You don't think Plekanec can turn it up in POs, although 2years ago after a very poor first half of season, he ended up being our best player in the 2nd half. So we know he can be better. Will he be better?..I don't know, neither do you. I like to be positive and say yes. You like to be negative and say no ( but will probably come back to say, you're just realistic or something like that).

Our 3rd/4th line are solid. Begin/Smokes/Kosto was one of our best line during POs last year. Lats/Lappy/Kosto are a better trio. Metro's checking line has been successful at shutting down solid lines, so no reason to think they won't be able to do it in POs.
Our 1st line is solid and have 3players that are PO proven performers.
It all comes down to the 2nd line.

If Markov and Bouillon come back and they're healthy enough to perform well, and Hamrlik/Komi can play as well as they can then our D will be tough to play against. Without forgetting about Schneider/Gorges.

I'm also quite surprise to hear you say ''any bad team can beat a great team any given night...but not win 4games''.
First off, we're NOT a bad team.
Second, you've been a fan of hockey long enough to know upsets ALWAYS happen. This happens almost every year and for more than just 1 team.

Also, you say Boston has more confidence and simply is a better team than us. Last year, we beat them 8 times in a row. We owned them. We were a better than them on paper, and our confidence was as high as it can be. Yet they took us to Game 7 and if it weren't for the same Price that you doubt, we would have been eliminated in the 1st period.

You can very well say that you don't think we'll win for x and y reasons. But to say we have NO chance is very negative and simply not true. Boston are the favorites to win of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs pulled an upset at all.

Habs in 6 baby. Have the faith fellow fan, The Habs need the positive energy!!

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Bruins in 5, with or without Markov...

What if Sergei on defense and on the PP?

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:04 AM
ScherbakAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
What if Sergei on defense and on the PP?
Habs in 3 of course. The Bruins would abandon after the 3rd game.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Nobody on our side has the ''ability'' (don't know why you call this an ability) to injure someone on the other team?..The puniest player in the league can injure any player if he hits him at the exact spot needed. Perezhogin ended Primeau's career, granted he had gone through 300 concussions but still. Anybody can injure anybody, and guys like Komi/Hamrlik/Lappy/Lats/Stewie/A.Kost/Higgins/Kovalev/Laraque/Kosto are not little guys.

You say you don't have the outmost confidence in Price right now, and I agree. I think he's great, but do I think he can lead us to the SCF??..It's a far stretch.
That being said, I wouldn't bet on Thomas being better than Price.
And all you're doing is being negative.
You don't think Plekanec can turn it up in POs, although 2years ago after a very poor first half of season, he ended up being our best player in the 2nd half. So we know he can be better. Will he be better?..I don't know, neither do you. I like to be positive and say yes. You like to be negative and say no ( but will probably come back to say, you're just realistic or something like that).

Our 3rd/4th line are solid. Begin/Smokes/Kosto was one of our best line during POs last year. Lats/Lappy/Kosto are a better trio. Metro's checking line has been successful at shutting down solid lines, so no reason to think they won't be able to do it in POs.
Our 1st line is solid and have 3players that are PO proven performers.
It all comes down to the 2nd line.

If Markov and Bouillon come back and they're healthy enough to perform well, and Hamrlik/Komi can play as well as they can then our D will be tough to play against. Without forgetting about Schneider/Gorges.

I'm also quite surprise to hear you say ''any bad team can beat a great team any given night...but not win 4games''.
First off, we're NOT a bad team.
Second, you've been a fan of hockey long enough to know upsets ALWAYS happen. This happens almost every year and for more than just 1 team.

Also, you say Boston has more confidence and simply is a better team than us. Last year, we beat them 8 times in a row. We owned them. We were a better than them on paper, and our confidence was as high as it can be. Yet they took us to Game 7 and if it weren't for the same Price that you doubt, we would have been eliminated in the 1st period.

You can very well say that you don't think we'll win for x and y reasons. But to say we have NO chance is very negative and simply not true. Boston are the favorites to win of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs pulled an upset at all.

Habs in 6 baby. Have the faith fellow fan, The Habs need the positive energy!!
He's not negative, he just likes to eat a lot of crow.

He's a realist who can only see the strenght of his opponents and the weakness of his own team, and nothing other than that.

But the reality is that Boston also has weaknesses. Montreal also has strenghts. But we are both cheerleaders, so we're probably wrong.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
Habs in 3 of course. The Bruins would abandon after the 3rd game.
Sergei is a shoe-in for the Conn Smythe. Whether we lose in the 1st round or not.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:26 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Habs in 7

BELIEVE!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:43 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
Are you kidding ? Thomas has been very good most of the season and sucked during the second on Thursday. If he plays as he can and has this year, we're toast. Seriously, the optimism baffles me. The Bruins took themselves out of the game. Right now, they're a better team with the puck than us and have their monster player on D.

They are better at every position at every level in the lineup, if they play anywhere close to their potential we have no chance. I think the PP success of Thursday was a blip on the radar, put pressure on Schneider and he won't be able to do anything as Pittsburgh demonstrated.

Price is way too inconsistent to have any hope. He's often not ready when the game starts. There are way too many holes in this lineup. Come on, take off the blinds people and see the light, this team is not that good. It's the worst team in the second half to make the playoffs to think we can just switch it on is ridiculous.
The habs brass should take this, blow it up and post it on the Habs dressing room wall; there's nothing more motivating than someone telling you that you just can't do it.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:46 AM
pachorella

habs in 6, with a good carey price, and remember we have guys that have good playoff experience, we will win and I will be reallyyyy happyyyyy beating boston.

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Montrealer

Brain Believes Bruins in 5.
Heart Hopes Habs in 7.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:41 AM
Spectaculard
Trout109HR330RBI407R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
I nearly died of laughter at the amount of Bruins fans who voted in this poll.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:12 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Game 3 No Matter What goes to the Canadiens.....

At least Milan was there last year......yeah, he was there, he knows about youse.......

I say Canadiens win game 3.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 05:21 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Exactly!

My heart is with the Habs
My head on the Bruins
yeah pretty much, everything can happen but the Ruins are clearly a superior team this season, everything depends on Thomas and Price on who could choke or steal the serie.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Capitano

Habs in 6.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:35 AM
MicroFracture

Bruins in 6.

It will be an intense and amazing series but the Bruins will come out victorious, as they should.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:01 AM
BeBen*

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1588/nhlplayoffs2009.jpg

Should i put the Habs logo in Semifinals right now?

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I said Boston in 6, obviously without markov..

with Markov and a pleky and Kost running at 60% at least cylinders, because of the history and all, i would say montreal in 7.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I think Boston has a good chance to sweep the Habs. They are simply the better team, and have been all season. Montreal has been good, awful, and okay. Even at "good", Boston was the better team this year.

To have a chance, things have to go right for Montreal AND things have to go wrong for Boston. Without some combination of the following, Boston will roll easily:
  • Price must outplay Thomas, decisively
  • The 2nd line, whoever is on it, must contribute in a big way
  • Boston's secondary threats (Kessel, Wheeler, Krejci, Kobasew and others) must fizzle
  • Habs special teams must be much better than Boston's
  • Chara must be sloppy and un-dominant
  • Boston's physical game must lead to more Boston penalties than Montreal turnovers

I would say that at least half of those things have to go Montreal's way for them to have a realistic chance.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:52 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I think Boston has a good chance to sweep the Habs. They are simply the better team, and have been all season. Montreal has been good, awful, and okay. Even at "good", Boston was the better team this year.

To have a chance, things have to go right for Montreal AND things have to go wrong for Boston. Without some combination of the following, Boston will roll easily:
  • Price must outplay Thomas, decisively
  • The 2nd line, whoever is on it, must contribute in a big way
  • Boston's secondary threats (Kessel, Wheeler, Krejci, Kobasew and others) must fizzle
  • Habs special teams must be much better than Boston's
  • Chara must be sloppy and un-dominant
  • Boston's physical game must lead to more Boston penalties than Montreal turnovers

I would say that at least half of those things have to go Montreal's way for them to have a realistic chance.
We were saying the same thing about the Habs last year at the beginning of the playoffs. Guess what we almost lost in 7.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I gotta go with Boston in 5

Without Markov it's going to be really hard,the Bruins are a disciplined team,what they did Thursday ain't gonna happen come playoff time

Hope I'm wrong but I don't see an upset this year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Voted for Habs in 4, just a feeling.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:03 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Agree. Not only that but I really think that the Bruins started the series being intimidated by the regular season they had against us.....but then woke up and realized that they could play with us. Clearly the intimidating factor is not on our side this year to say the least....
The last game we played them we didn't look overly intimidated. I actually think the guys came out of that game with alot more confidence that they could square off with the B's during the playoffs. I think our guys woke up and realized they could play with the B's.

If the B's want to intimidate physically then let them. We'll field BGL and Stewart and take out their better players and they'll take out ours and whoever advances does so with a seriously depleted ability to move forward through the payoffs. We won't be seeing that happen. Everybody loses.

Since I had squat to do this morning I took a look at our respective rosters. The B's average 6'1" with their forwards and 6'1.5" with the defense. The Habs average 6'0" for their forwards and 6'1" for their defense. In the weight category B's forwards 193.75 lbs. defense 208.25. Habs forwards 206.80 lbs. defense 208.30.

If the Habs decide to play physically they match up well losing an inch in height and outweigh them up front. It will come down to what game plan the B's decide to use. If they bully it up they will pay with our PP like in the last game. If they don't then our speed should be a factor.

I am not trying to convince you we are better but we can offer a challenge. The Bruins have had 20 points on us for a couple of months now. They haven't been exactly burning it up any more than we have. If TT hadn't played the way he did all season long you can bet it would be a lot closer than what you are seeing now.

I think we'll be more of a challenge that you are giving them credit for.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote