HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Sign van Riemsdyk to Entry Level Contract

Old
04-09-2009, 03:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Wow JVR was motoring then. Who said this kid couldn't skate?
People who watched him play in college...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:16 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Wow JVR was motoring then. Who said this kid couldn't skate?
Seriously, he blew by that defender, got poke checked, and still scored.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

I don't even think he got poke checked. It looks to me like he put the puck between his legs on purpose, and then gathered it again before going to the net. Beauty goal!

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk View Post
I don't even think he got poke checked. It looks to me like he put the puck between his legs on purpose, and then gathered it again before going to the net. Beauty goal!
Yep thats what i'm thinking. Looks like he did it on purpose

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:09 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk View Post
Yea, after watching it again I think you are right. I said he got pokechecked cause the announcer said he did, and it looked like the defender knocked his stick away. But it does look like JVR either knocks it between his legs, or right in front of himself and the defender, then backhands it.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Ok so after going to the game last night all I can honestly say about him is he was not noticeably good or bad. He showed great speed and a real quick burst on one play but that was the only time I saw him skate more than a couple strides at a time all game. Though you could just tell by the way he moved he was fast as hell. He forchecked really hard on one shift, but again it was only on that shift, the rest of the time he gave a good effort but not like that determined Mike Richards, Scottie Upshall effort I'd like to see. He just looked like every other AHL player out there which I don't know if thats good or not.

I also don't think he looked lazy or like a floater, but I can definitely see why people have said that. He has really long strides and it looks like he's not skating hard but he's moving faster than most of the players out there. He got caught behind a play and in like 3 strides was right back in the middle of it. I hope that he just needs some time to get comfortable. He looked tentative to me which might have been do to the fact that he got his face slammed into the boards pretty friggin hard in the first few minutes. I really hope it isn't though. I hope he isn't a big guy that doesn't like to get hit like Jagr...actually on second thought I'd be fine with it if he scored like Jagr lol.

I hope that what people have been interpreting as lazy was just a boredom factor in college, and him being uncomfortable so far in the AHL and isn't a problem thats gonna hold him back. A lot of the players that become bust do so because of their lack of work ethic not their skill. After watching him I'm really worried that what I hope is just uneasiness isn't him being uninterested.

I was surprised to see he didn't have any special teams time that I noticed. He might have got some PP time at the end of penalties, but he wasn't on one of the top 2 units.

Overall I wasn't impressed at all. He definitely has a lot of speed, and of course size. He has good hands as I've seen from highlights, but he didn't really show even a glimpse of how good they are in the game. Unless he drastically improves during the playoffs and over the off season he won't be on the team out of camp unless some moves are made and he has too be. He didn't seem to have a desire to dominate the game like Richards does. He just doesn't have that drive, or motor, whatever you wanna call it. I feel like he has so much more talent than pretty much everyone else on the ice, but he didn't show that need to show everyone that he's better than them. I hope you get what I'm tryin to say. Maybe as he gets more playing time and gets adjusted and gets used to his linemates he'll start goin balls to the wall, and show just how talented he is. But if you watched that game you wouldn't know one of the top prospects in the world was on the ice.

On a side note Sbisa looked pretty solid.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 05:48 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiria92 View Post

On a side note Sbisa looked pretty solid.
Sbisa also apparently lost 10 lbs. while with Lethbridge.

Apparently he played 41 minutes in their game 7.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 05:54 PM
SteveH

I was kinda thinking the same thing, maybe it's the hype factor. Could it be that it's a chemistry/adjustment thing going to a new team?

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Sbisa also apparently lost 10 lbs. while with Lethbridge.

Apparently he played 41 minutes in their game 7.
Sweet Jesus 41 minutes! Please tell me there was OT and more than 1.

He got crushed along the boards more than once during the game but he didn't even seem to notice that he just got plastered. He moved the puck well, made some dangerous plays but they worked out, and he had a couple of real hard shots but I'm not sure how many actually made it threw the traffic and on goal. He looked good though. Maroon also looked pretty good as well. I wonder if he'll actually make onto the team as a 3rd liner sometime in the future.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:07 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Got to see him play in Hershey tonight. Nothing really notable at all. He had a chance to score on a breakaway but got stoned. Other than that he was pretty much invisible on the ice.

Patrick Maroon took a couple cheap elbow shots at Alexandre Giroux and then proceeded to stick his tongue out at the Bears bench and crowd. I'm not sure if this is typical for him (I don't see the Phantoms play too often) but I definitely don't have any respect for the guy after that.

On a side note Sbisa had a goal tonight and looked solid out there.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:24 AM
itstheroc87

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
Got to see him play in Hershey tonight. Nothing really notable at all. He had a chance to score on a breakaway but got stoned. Other than that he was pretty much invisible on the ice.

Patrick Maroon took a couple cheap elbow shots at Alexandre Giroux and then proceeded to stick his tongue out at the Bears bench and crowd. I'm not sure if this is typical for him (I don't see the Phantoms play too often) but I definitely don't have any respect for the guy after that.On a side note Sbisa had a goal tonight and looked solid out there.
...guess you're not a scott hartnell fan than either...

itstheroc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:40 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
JVR article:

http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in...next_step.html
Quote:

James van Riemsdyk has planned to put his best foot forward for nearly two years since the Philadelphia Flyers drafted him with the second overall pick in the 2007 NHL Draft. But when that day arrived this month, the Middletown native quickly realized it wouldn't be his left foot, thanks to a hasty packing job in his cramped New Hampshire dorm room.

"I was so excited when I was packing," the 19-year-old said. "I grabbed two right shoes, and I didn't even think about it."

Neither did the Flyers, who welcomed van Riemsdyk's mismatched shoes in Philadelphia, so long as that meant he was there, too. The club has waited the past two seasons for the top prospect while he deferred his NHL career to play Division 1 college hockey at the University of New Hampshire.

It wasn't until the beginning of this month, after his team lost in the NCAA Tournament, that van Riemsdyk felt he was finally ready for the professional ranks. On April 1, he signed a multiyear, entry-level deal with the Flyers.

"He needed a change, and the sooner the better for the organization," said John Paddock, head coach of the Philadelphia Phantoms, the Flyers' AHL affiliate. "Just to get the process started of him being what everybody in hockey thought: Someday being a top-six forward in the NHL."
Quote:

So far the Flyers organization has been pleased with how van Riemsdyk has adjusted to the AHL, after taking the ice for a game the same day he signed. His 6-3 frame and puck-handling skills translate well to the professional level, though Paddock expects he'll still need to add 10 to 15 pounds -- on top of the same amount he put on while at New Hampshire.

"He has a huge upside, but he's sort of at the bottom of the hill right now," said Paddock, who has five years of NHL head coaching experience. "You're not going to get ahead by forcing somebody to do something. I think this is the right time, and I think he's on track to make the most of it."

The Flyers will see for sure this fall, when van Riemsdyk will compete for a roster spot in his first NHL training camp. He has the chance to be a complement to an already talented group of forwards -- including centers Jeff Carter and Mike Richards -- at the age of 20, even with the delay.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:13 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
Nah i've read all ur posts so I understand how you defend him. Poor line-mates just doesnt justify it and nor does playing out of position. LW-C-RW - if your a 2nd overall pick you should dominate college.
JVR = 74 points in 67 college games, or 1.10 points per game

Other early picks who didn't dominate in college because they partied too much and therefore will flop in the pros:

Jonathan Toews = 85 points in 76 games, 1.11 ppg
Kyle Okposo = 51 points in 58 games, 0.88 ppg
TJ Oshie = 142 points in 129 games, 1.10 ppg
Blake Wheeler = 96 points in 127 games, 0.76 ppg

I'm tempted to mention that the guys named above were surrounded by superior talent than what JVR had in New Hampshire, but apparently the quality of one's linemates has no impact whatsoever on scoring numbers.

CarlRacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki View Post
JVR = 74 points in 67 college games, or 1.10 points per game

Other early picks who didn't dominate in college because they partied too much and therefore will flop in the pros:

Jonathan Toews = 85 points in 76 games, 1.11 ppg
Kyle Okposo = 51 points in 58 games, 0.88 ppg
TJ Oshie = 142 points in 129 games, 1.10 ppg
Blake Wheeler = 96 points in 127 games, 0.76 ppg

I'm tempted to mention that the guys named above were surrounded by superior talent than what JVR had in New Hampshire, but apparently the quality of one's linemates has no impact whatsoever on scoring numbers.
How dare you try to introduce actual facts into this thread!

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:58 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheroc87 View Post
...guess you're not a scott hartnell fan than either...
Hartnell isn't a cheapshot kinda guy. When you're throwing elbows at the heads of league MVP's like Ovechkin or the AHL equivalent to him (Alexandre Giroux) then proceeding to taunt the other teams bench/fans in the process, is something I have ZERO respect for. If anything, you may be able to compare that to the antics of Downie or Avery.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki View Post

its been mentioned countless times by myself, Flyhigh and a couple others but like always its fallen on deaf ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
Hartnell isn't a cheapshot kinda guy. When you're throwing elbows at the heads of league MVP's like Ovechkin or the AHL equivalent to him (Alexandre Giroux) then proceeding to taunt the other teams bench/fans in the process, is something I have ZERO respect for. If anything, you may be able to compare that to the antics of Downie or Avery.
not familiar with the Philly/Hershey rivalry are you? stuff much worse then this used happen on a regular basis.
But yeah I am sure Hershey is full of clean, innocent players.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote