HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pgh-Edm

Old
04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Horseradish

vCash: 500
Pgh-Edm

Well Pittsburgh is always looking for guys to play with Crosby. Edmonton is looking for a serviceable younger defensive d-man.

What about:
Orpik
for
Pouliot and Staios

Pouliot played with Crosby in Rimouski and they had great chemistry. At worst, if it doesn't work out, he's a solid 3/4 liner with some offensive ability. I think it would serve Edmonton best to give up on the Pouliot project as he's not at the defensive ability that Brodziak, Moreau and Pisani are at, and he's not a top 6 forward in the Oilers' system. His departure allows younger guys to take his spot in the lineup.

As for Staios, he's a solid #4-5 d-man who can replace Orpik easily, but is a bit older than Orpik.

Orpik offers the Oilers a solid defensive d-man with a physical presence which they're so sorely missing.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:35 PM
66-29-33

Another Pens/Oilers thread?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
God
Free Citizen

Staios is overpaid for what he brings, and Pouliot isn't enough to warrant giving up Orpik.

God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
No ****ing way whatsoever. No Staios can not easily replace Orpik lmao, he is second in the league in hits you realize? please do enlighten me how 35 year old Staios and his 98 hits easily replace 28 year old Orpik and his 305 hits. Over 200 more hits yet Orpik takes 20 less penalty minutes? Orpik magically has more points than him.

What is with the influx of Edmonton to Pittsburgh proposals, I hope you guys aren't going to spend all playoffs using this as your way to entertain yourselves.

Last edited by Morozov: 04-11-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:15 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Well Pittsburgh is always looking for guys to play with Crosby. Edmonton is looking for a serviceable younger defensive d-man.

What about:
Orpik
for
Pouliot and Staios

Pouliot played with Crosby in Rimouski and they had great chemistry. At worst, if it doesn't work out, he's a solid 3/4 liner with some offensive ability. I think it would serve Edmonton best to give up on the Pouliot project as he's not at the defensive ability that Brodziak, Moreau and Pisani are at, and he's not a top 6 forward in the Oilers' system. His departure allows younger guys to take his spot in the lineup.

As for Staios, he's a solid #4-5 d-man who can replace Orpik easily, but is a bit older than Orpik.

Orpik offers the Oilers a solid defensive d-man with a physical presence which they're so sorely missing.
HAHA I'm an Edmonton fan and I know the Oilers could never get a deal like that.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
wow does Pittsburgh ever get fleeced here

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:17 PM
AK

Orpik is almost untouchable just because he's the only player of his kind that the Penguins have, and he's locked up on a good deal for five more seasons.

Gilbert would be a good starting point if Shero was ever high enough to be looking to trade him.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

im starting to see a trend here...

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:24 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Pgh? Has anyone EVER referred to Pittsburgh as Pgh before?

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:25 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Pgh? Has anyone EVER referred to Pittsburgh as Pgh before?
It's a postal abbreviation, but not nearly as common as "PIT".

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:30 PM
angelgirl77

NO.

Orpik isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He has a cap friendly contract, and is a total beast.

Much like Staal, you would have to pry him from Sheros cold dead hands.

angelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Alex28*

Take Orpik out of the proposal and you may be on to something.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Horseradish

I think Pens fans overrate Orpik. He's a solid 3rd d-man, and physically dominant.

But I also didn't realize he's under contract for 5 years. Good contract too.

What if it was Gilbert on the table instead of Staios? Even throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:29 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:

What about:
Orpik
for
Pouliot and Staios

If Staios can replace Orpik so easily why bother trading? And there is a 7 year age gap between them, not a "bit older". Honestly, what need is being met for the Pens here? Pouliot has done nothing at the NHL level and the theory that Crosby can revive any fringe 3rd line player to 1st line success is unfounded, he needs to work with legitimate talent (see Kunitz, Guerin, and Hossa) for maximum results. Guys like Pouliot are a dime a dozen in this league, Pens don't need to part with their #2, punishing, just signed a long-term contract d-man for that. Heck they could just promote Tyler Kennedy, he's actually proven his talent.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
I don't think Pittsburgh moves Orpik.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

I'm beginning to loathe Oiler fans.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
I think Pens fans overrate Orpik. He's a solid 3rd d-man, and physically dominant.

But I also didn't realize he's under contract for 5 years. Good contract too.

What if it was Gilbert on the table instead of Staios? Even throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
If we overrate him it's because he is the only player of his mould on the team. The person being overrated here is Staios who you suggest can easily replace Orpik despite him having over 200 less hits on the season. If anything we want another Orpik not to move the one we have. He flat out is NOT available so please stop trying.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I'm beginning to loathe Oiler fans.
These Pens-Oiler proposals are making Oiler fans seem pretty lacking in anything remotely resembling intelligence.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:16 AM
jiggyman

I'd be willing to give Pittsburgh both Staios and Pouliot for free. If Orpik were coming back the other way, I'd probably wet my pants on the spot, then proceed to worship our GM for pulling off such a brilliantly lopsided deal.

Let's roll with the proposals, how about Staios, Moreau, Pouliot and a 5th for Malkin. The leadership going Pittsburgh's way puts the Penguins over the top. Crosby could learn to play the game like a dumbass from Moreau, while learning how to play defense 2 steps behind the opponent, when that fails, flop onto the ice and rack up the blocked shots like Staios. Combine those skills with the elite Pouliot-Crosby combo and this deal favors Pittsburgh.

Throw in a 2nd and Edmonton considers. No deal? fine Edmonton will accept a Crosby autographed puck for that package.

jiggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Orpik brings a unique element to the game, he's the only defenseman in the top 10 for hits. And unlike a lot of physical, stay at home types, he's also very mobile and can skate the puck out of danger. He's entering his prime and becoming more refined, Staios has been getting worse for a couple of years now.

I actually kind of like Staios, and he'd be a good depth guy if his contract wasn't terrible, but for Orpik? You're crazy. If Shero wants a player like Staios he can just pick Greg de Vries as a UFA without giving up anyone. A declining defenseman with an albatross contract isn't going to fetch you much.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Take Orpik out of the proposal and you may be on to something.
Edmonton takes that deal and runs.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote