HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason thread

Old
04-12-2009, 09:54 AM
RollingPredFan

vCash: 500
Offseason thread

Ok someone had to make one

Anyways... who stays and who goes? I saw in the paper Arnott was asking for Poile to re-sign Sullivan. Of course how much to pay him. He is no doubt a catalyst for our late season push but he has lost a step and has a history of injuries and is 34....

Well I would like to keep:
Sully, Bonk, Ward, Zanon

And let these guys go (and hopefully upgrade the position)
Fiddler, Nichol, Koistenen, Devries

I hope we can add a decent free agent veteran d-man and a winger that can put the puck into the net.

What say you?

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Well I would like to keep:
Sully, Bonk, Ward, Zanon

I hope we can add a decent free agent veteran d-man and a winger that can put the puck into the net.

What say you?
If we resign the above players, I doubt we could afford to sign "a decent free agent veteran d-man" and a "winger that can put the puck into the net".

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:15 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Sully and Ward and Sully is a maybe because of age and injuries.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Sully and Ward and Sully is a maybe because of age and injuries.
agreed ... I'd much rather go after someone a tad bit younger, than Sullivan in UFA

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
thrillhous

Are you guys not big fans of Koistenen?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
nope ... he played the "its all about me card" earlier in the season, he can go play in traffic for all I care

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 04:13 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Not really. He's slow and gets dominated in high traffic areas. I admire his willingness to use his body, but he's just not big enough or strong enough to really make an impact with his physical play.

He came into camp flat, played much of the season flat, and finally came on in the last week of the season.

If he wants to stay in Nashville and re-sign for very little money, we may hang onto him as the 7th, or we may go with a more experienced, stay-at-home option at the #7 spot.

==================================

A source on the NP.com boards said that Zanon has turned down a 2 year/$4M offer from the Predators. Now, I don't know the poster (reg dunlop) personally, but he called the Legwand and Dumont extensions as well as the Henry signing way back when, and probably some others before that, so this has some ethos behind it.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 04-12-2009 at 04:18 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:08 PM
predfan24

I think the money is about right. He probaly wants more years however there is no way in hell I would give it to him. 2yrs/4mill is as high as I would go.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I wouldn't go higher than 2 million a year for Zanon. I think he will probably end up with a 4 year 9 million dollar deal, or something of that nature.....which is a big stretch. Despite what he does for the team, he really is not THAT good as a number 4 defenseman. He made pretty obvious defensive mistakes on a consistent basis. I like the guy, but we may have to watch him go if we plan on keeping Dan Hamhuis.

Ward should be back on a 1-2 year deal with Fiddler like money. 2 years 1.7 million?

Sully.......bring him back. 1-2 year deal, 2-2.5 million. He was the catalyst to this team. Short investment, less money....

Fiddler/Bonk/Nichol....sure you could bring back 1-2 of these guys, but only if it is around 600-700k each.

Koistenen/Devries.....both should be gone unless Zanon leaves AND we sign them at close to league minimum. I could theoretically see DeVries (God help us) resign at 800-900k on a 1 year deal if Zanon leaves.....

Sulzer is definitely going to be in our top 6 next year. Franson and Blum will both get good looks, and I expect one of the two to be on the team....You never know if a guy like Laakso surprises at camp and wins a spot as well. We will likely bring in a guy to compete who will surprise as well.

With Minnesota winning last night, we have the 11th pick in the draft.

04-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Not necessarily we could drop to 12th if someone behind us wins the draft lottery. We also have back to back (41st and 42nd) picks in the 2nd round.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Not necessarily we could drop to 12th if someone behind us wins the draft lottery. We also have back to back (41st and 42nd) picks in the 2nd round.
there is a 2% chance of that happening... we're picking 11th

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:09 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
there is a 2% chance of that happening... we're picking 11th
what are our chances to move up to 7th?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:42 PM
dulzhok

One major question is Radulov. Gotta get him back. I know he acted inmature, but we are desperate for some offensive punch. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Bring him back, and give him an extension for 3yr/9 million (after his last year on his entry level is up). At the very least, this will give him more trade value in the event that he is a negative influence on the team.

Resign Ward, but don't go crazy. He was a good surprise but looking at him as anything more than a good 3rd liner is a stretch.

Resign Sullivan. 2.5 million sounds good. There is still a pretty big risk with him, plus as well as we treated him, he should be giving us the benefit of the doubt.

Give Rinne an extension, but don't go crazy. 3 yrs, 7.5 million max. Don't wait until next offseason to re-sign him.

Go after Patrice Bergeron. I know Poile has shown no ability to make a trade of any significance in the offseason, but come on Poile, do for us just this one. Boston can't afford all their young forwards. Begeron has a question mark with health, but he would be a HUGE addition for us up front assuming he's health. HAMHUIS for BERGERON. Take a risk to get out of the 46 percentile, Poile!

In summary, I'm not happy with this roster as is! I don't care if we still resign everyone (Sullivan, Zanon, Ward, Bonk), we'll still likely be a non-playoff team. And even in the remote chance we sneak into the the playoffs, we'll have virtually no chance of getting out of the first round.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I like the idea of bringing in Bergeron. The question is, though, do you move him or Legwand to wing?

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

We probably won't even have to move up.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 04-12-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old
04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
brevard*

I think Sulivan will want (and maybe get someplace) 3 mill a year. If he is 34 and not 35 when he signs sign Sullivan to a 6 year 12 million dollar deal paying 3m, 3m, 3m, 1m, 1m, 1m.

He gets 3 mill a year for 3 years and the cap hit is only 2 million. He retires after the 3rd year and is off the books without penalty or cap implication for the final 3 years.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:47 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
nope ... he played the "its all about me card" earlier in the season, he can go play in traffic for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Not really. He's slow and gets dominated in high traffic areas. I admire his willingness to use his body, but he's just not big enough or strong enough to really make an impact with his physical play.

He came into camp flat, played much of the season flat, and finally came on in the last week of the season.

If he wants to stay in Nashville and re-sign for very little money, we may hang onto him as the 7th, or we may go with a more experienced, stay-at-home option at the #7 spot.
Forgive my ignorance, but what did he do that was "all about me"?

I suppose with your deep blueline letting someone like Koistenen go is not all that big of a deal...

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:51 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
I think Sulivan will want (and maybe get someplace) 3 mill a year. If he is 34 and not 35 when he signs sign Sullivan to a 6 year 12 million dollar deal paying 3m, 3m, 3m, 1m, 1m, 1m.

He gets 3 mill a year for 3 years and the cap hit is only 2 million. He retires after the 3rd year and is off the books without penalty or cap implication for the final 3 years.
No way Sullivan gets a 6 year deal. No way. What happens if his back starts acting up again... then a team's gonna be on the hook for 6 years of paying him? Also, he's going to be pretty much insurable. 2 year max deal for Sullivan. $2.0-3m, with team option for 2nd year.

Old
04-13-2009, 12:00 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
I like the idea of bringing in Bergeron. The question is, though, do you move him or Legwand to wing?
Move Legwand to another team Half way kidding. This guy epitomizes the 46 percentile. Legwand for Tobias Enstrom.

My so-called plan

Sullivan-Arnott-Dumont
Knuble-Bergeron-Radulov
Erat-Wilson-Ward
Phistrom-Bonk-Tootoo

Weber, Suter, Enstrom, Zanon, Sulzer, Klein

Rinne, Ellis

*Hamhuis - Bergeron
*Legwand - Enstrom
* FA- Knuble

STRIVING FOR SOMETHING BETTER

Old
04-13-2009, 12:06 AM
predfan24

Remember just because it worked in NHL 09 doesn't mean it's gonna work in real life. Mr. Freeman would also like to know where all the money comes from to sign/trade for these guys?

Old
04-13-2009, 12:33 AM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
No way Sullivan gets a 6 year deal. No way. What happens if his back starts acting up again... then a team's gonna be on the hook for 6 years of paying him? Also, he's going to be pretty much insurable. 2 year max deal for Sullivan. $2.0-3m, with team option for 2nd year.

Lets deal in facts. Every player cleared to play has their contract insured for up to 7 years. There are also no "options" permitted in the CBA. Learn the rules. If his back goes he goes on LTIE and the insurance pays him
I am not saying he plays in years 4 thru 6. If you think Franzen is playing years 10 and 11 for 1 mill. I have some swamp land for you. It's a loophole in the CBA that permits teams that want to keep their players to pay them while lowering the cap hit.
As long as the player is under 35 when he signs the deal he can retire and his cap hit goes away so they pay big $$$ for a few years and then add a few years at small amounts so when averaged the cap hit when playing is small even though the dollars are not.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:35 AM
predfan24

I have to admit though I am befuddled as to what we should do this offseason. There are so many factors to consider. Alot of contracts are up and I would like to see a pretty big turnover to upgrade on the Fiddlers, Nichol's and Devries's of the world but at the same time I am not quite sure who is out there for free agency and I understand with the financial struggles of this team sometimes they have to go with the medicore bargin instead of the upgrade. We also don't have the young and upcoming prospects teams like STL,CHI,CBJ have to help us turn things around quickly. At least not for next year. It's tough to watch team's in our division get so much better so fast and feel like we are either stuck in nuetral or perhaps even sliding back a bit.

That being said I'll make a stab at guessing what we should do with our free agents:

Say bye bye: Fiddler,Nichol,Devries,Ortmeyer.

As far as Koisty goes I would actually like to keep him as a spare 7th dman/ extra forward for cheap if he would agree to play that role but obviously he doesn't want too so I say he will probaly leave too.

We will probaly resign Jones because he is a RFA but I could care less either way. I don't see long term NHL potential in him personally.

Keep: Sully- Hopefully he gives us some sort of discount. He is such a one dimensional player but for a team that lacks offense he sure can use that fact to bend us over a barrel in negotiations

Ward- Hopefully he signs for 1.2ish but deep down I think we will lucky to get him for 1.75.

Zanon- If he really wants more than 2 million a season at more than 2 years than let him go. Love Zanon's mentality and leadership but that money could be better used down the line.

Bonk- I actually think Bonky is a perfect 4th line center. Great at faceoffs, defensively responible, an enigma when it comes to the offensive side of the game but shows flashes. Can fill in on a scoring line role temporaily unlike Fids and Nichol. However he would have to take a paycut. Is he willing to do that? Probaly not but it is nice to wish.

Old
04-13-2009, 02:59 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Remember just because it worked in NHL 09 doesn't mean it's gonna work in real life. Mr. Freeman would also like to know where all the money comes from to sign/trade for these guys?
Salary is really not that much different

Lose Hamhuis (2.5), Legwand (5.0), Devries (2.5)

and gain Begeron (5.0), Enstrom (3.75), and Knuble (3.0ish)

10 million vs 12 million. Also remember that Hamhuis is going to be due about a 2 million raise after next season.

And where does the money come from? Well, in part, it comes from the 10 million dollar check Freeman is about to get. And from the over 14,000 fans that supported the Predators every game this year.

We can not have the lowest payroll in the league every year. It won't get us out of the first round. And if we never get out of the first round, hockey will NEVER reach success in Nashville.

Old
04-13-2009, 03:08 AM
dulzhok

The thing to keep in mind is that most GMs are going to be VERY, VERY HESITANT to spend money this offseason. We'll see what happens between no and July 1, but things aren't looking optimistic.

We are in a prime position. We have one of the lowest payrolls in the leuage (or is it the lowest?). All these other teams are going to be cap hell, especially with the likelihood of the cap going down in 2010.

Will Poile capitalize, and use the situation to his advantage? Or will he just sit around waiting for free agents to call him?

Old
04-13-2009, 03:14 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what did he do that was "all about me"?
Ignore him. There was an article in a local paper that said VK wanted to be traded, and he spoke out in Finnish media outlets effectively calling the article a gigantic load.

There was also an article about him supposedly wanting more ice time, and I can't blame him - he probably hadn't played in 20 or so games when that article came out.

Quote:
I suppose with your deep blueline letting someone like Koistenen go is not all that big of a deal...
Our depth is actually a bit overstated right now. Hamhuis is a free agent next year and we don't have a player that can step in and replace him right away unless Blum comes in and blows everybody away. Our defensive prospect pool is starting to dry up, and hopefully we'll pick up three or maybe even four blue liners with our enormous wealth of picks this year.