HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lemaire as the new coach?

Old
04-12-2009, 10:47 AM
snakeye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Lemaire HATED coaching in Montreal because he had to answer to too much people. He didn't like that journalists and fans were questioning every plays he was making his teams do. So I don't see him coming here when he could not stand coaching in Minnesota anymore where the environment was relatively easy compared to MTL.

I think also think his time as coach is over. And he would be better served as GM or ass GM. The guy is still a genius and could help any teams that way. He could help our next GM next year.
Ass GM as in Brian Lawton?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd View Post
Lemaire will not return to Minnesota as head coach.
Would the quiet, introspective coach be interested in returning to media crazy Montreal?
After all, he would join a host of ex Montreal players, return to La Belle Province, and probably earn a good salary.
The media would be happy to have a francophone coach and the fans would love to have a proven winner.

Lemaire left because he could not stand the medias. And you think he would come back ?

He is almost 65 year old now. Time for a good retreat.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:54 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Are you serious ? 3 out of 8 with a new concession team is bad ? You have to compare his stats with the ones of the Blue Jackets or Atlanta . And you also have to considere all the games their star Gaborik missed .You also have to count the 4 playoffs out of 5 seasons he got with NJ .

Lemaire is a very good coach . One of the best . He just didn't have the teams to go farther ( Wilds editions )

Look at the team he had , when they went in the conference finals , only at the 3 th season of the Wilds ;

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MIN/2003.html
I suppose that if your criteria for a replacement for Gainey is an experienced francophone then Lemaire would be a good fit.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:58 AM
MdGazou

I recall Lemaire saying that he didn't want to coach to Habs again because of the media, I doubt we'll see him here

MdGazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Pascal

The Gainey/Lemaire link would make sense.. and like Laraque maybe he feels ready to come back home with the Habs.

I hope so. We'd finally have an experienced coach who has won the cup before.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:02 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

No for Lemaire. He hasn't done any miracles in Minnesota and I don't feel like watching boring defensive hockey all the time.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdGazou View Post
I recall Lemaire saying that he didn't want to coach to Habs again because of the media, I doubt we'll see him here
Read the article I linked earlier. He said he wants to coach and will only coach on a team where he already has a "relationship" with the GM. When asked directly about the Canadiens he did NOT say anything like the above, he just said that he can't name specific teams he is interested in because he is still under contract.

If he was so deadset on not returning here, he could have simply ruled the Canadiens out right there. IMO by saying he will only coach on a team where he has a relationship with the GM like he did in Minnesotta and not flatly ruling out the Habs, he is saying a lot.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:36 AM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
No for Lemaire. He hasn't done any miracles in Minnesota and I don't feel like watching boring defensive hockey all the time.
Lemaire has done a remarkable job in the past, be it with NJ or the expansion Wild.
His teams work hard and are known as tenacious, no nonsense squads.
As Hab fans many have cited the endless days off taking by players, the divided clubhouses, endless partying,... . Lemaire clubs have never had that reputation, even when he was in media crazy Montreal. While no one is suggesting a "squeaky clean" team would emerge under Lemaire's tenure, he would not likely tolerate "lazy". "unmotivated", "lacklustre", disinterested performances from his squad.
It would be nice to see a team come to play every day, rather than a sometimes exciting,team, usually erratic, and sometimes disinterested.

He may not be a candidate for Montreal, but to diss Jacques and his coaching is..... !

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:37 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Here is an article about Lemaire from today where he is asked about Montreal. Judge for yourself if he sounds like he doesn't want to coach here.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...tml?page=1&c=y
That interview looks like he'll be headed to a front office gig.

Hmmm

Lemaire to replace Gauthier possibly. A front office guy with that type of coaching experience would be great. Honestly don't think Lemaire would coach here, he knows all about the pressure and his ability/willingness to handle it.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Read the article I linked earlier. He said he wants to coach and will only coach on a team where he already has a "relationship" with the GM. When asked directly about the Canadiens he did NOT say anything like the above, he just said that he can't name specific teams he is interested in because he is still under contract.

If he was so deadset on not returning here, he could have simply ruled the Canadiens out right there. IMO by saying he will only coach on a team where he has a relationship with the GM like he did in Minnesotta and not flatly ruling out the Habs, he is saying a lot.
I agree.....He is probably heading to Montreal

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Got further in the playoffs than the Habs ever did in the past 15 years.
Went there 3 times out of 8. Lost twice in the first round, once in 3rd.

We don't have the players to play the trap. I guess it all depends who we resign, but right now we have a speedy team that's offensively minded.

I don't want Lemaire here to be honest, unless he changes his style.
But I can just see all the french media doing a ''Lemaire for Coach'' petition.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:09 PM
habs86

vCash: 325
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

I think also think his time as coach is over. And he would be better served as GM or ass. GM. The guy is still a genius and could help any teams that way. He could help our next GM next year.

What do you think of this; BG moves up in the ranks in the oragnization, JL takes over GM and Ted Nolan, becomes our new coach? just a idea.

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Are you serious ? 3 out of 8 with a new concession team is bad ? You have to compare his stats with the ones of the Blue Jackets or Atlanta . And you also have to considere all the games their star Gaborik missed .You also have to count the 4 playoffs out of 5 seasons he got with NJ .

Lemaire is a very good coach . One of the best . He just didn't have the teams to go farther ( Wilds editions )

Look at the team he had , when they went in the conference finals , only at the 3 th season of the Wilds ;

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MIN/2003.html
They had a pretty decent roster with good veterans. But the main reason they got so far was because Roloson/Fernandez was the tandem of the league. Without them they probably wouldn't have made the POs.
And it's easy to pin point one season. Look at the team he had last year, that's not a bad team at all.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MIN/2008.html

But Lemaire is a great coach, there's no doubt about it. He is the best coach available out there. Now it's up to management to decide if he's the best one to fit our team or not.

Old
04-12-2009, 12:32 PM
MathMan

Objectively, best candidate out there by a mile. Highly regarded, highly successful, speaks French, demonstrably makes teams better, can last a while with the same team. He is the kind of coach that gets his goalies big contracts and lots of regard by making them look really good -- be it Brodeur, Fernandez, or Backstrom.

However -- he's already indicated that he is not interested in dealing with the Montreal media (and who would be?) and I'm not sure the fans would apreciate the brand of hockey that almost killed the sport. He remains an extremely defensive-oriented coach.

Still, he's gotten better about the latter and he wouldn't be the first to change his mind about coming to Montreal.

If I'm Gainey, I certainly put him at the top of my list.

But damn, I don't want to see trapping all year even if it wins games.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:44 PM
BobLoblaw

My father plays golf with Mario Tremblay occasionally, and he said Lemaire was retiring from coaching.

So highly unlikely IMO.

BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:44 PM
1UP

I thought we all learned something from Carbo's stay.

Style is as important as the skill of the coach.

I don't belive Lemaire's style will fit our team setup.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:12 PM
mabus

Lemaire would be perfect for montreal. You will not find a more experianced and more knowledgeable coach in the NHL today. The only one better would be Bowman but he's inactive and into his 70's.

It's interesting that he's saying today that he is leaving his current position this way. It's possible he's got an eye towards montreal. I know he has his detractors but I think he'd be just perfect for us.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Again.....how the hell can Lemaire be even considered as being a coach in Montreal when he hates the media and the every day scrums. And it's not like he had changed his mind either.

Lemaire as the new GM though, that's another story.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:19 PM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I would actually like to enjoy watching us play.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:11 PM
les3couleurs

How about Mario Tremblay, wait for it, to replace Benoit Brunet on RDS, I defended him at the start of the year, but I can't take it anymore.

Edit : Lemaire is past his prime, he is not what's needed.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:16 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Again.....how the hell can Lemaire be even considered as being a coach in Montreal when he hates the media and the every day scrums. And it's not like he had changed his mind either.

Lemaire as the new GM though, that's another story.
and you are replacing BG because ? His french is pretty good no ? You guys make me laugh BG ain't going nowhere, get used to it !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
How about Mario Tremblay, wait for it, to replace Benoit Brunet on RDS, I defended him at the start of the year, but I can't take it anymore.

Edit : Lemaire is past his prime, he is not what's needed.
HAve you ever heard Tremblay speak?
RDS has to draw the line somewhere!

Old
04-12-2009, 02:18 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
HAve you ever heard Tremblay speak?
RDS has to draw the line somewhere!
He was doing the job during the Habs 93 stanley cup win on (SRC) i think or maybe it was CKAC.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Lucius

Not unless we're prepared to build a defensive style team.

The Habs need a run and gun coach to go with the run and gun players.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
psychonaut

Hummm would not like the style but we have a great young goalie + a ton of D prospect. He is the best coach available and speaks french.

If the idea is a cup anytime soon he be are best chance.
Anyways its playoff time and we need to beat the Bruins 1st

Habs in 6

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote