HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lemaire as the new coach?

Old
04-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Melvin Udall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Lemaire HATED coaching in Montreal because he had to answer to too much people. He didn't like that journalists and fans were questioning every plays he was making his teams do. So I don't see him coming here when he could not stand coaching in Minnesota anymore where the environment was relatively easy compared to MTL.

I think also think his time as coach is over. And he would be better served as GM or ass. GM. The guy is still a genius and could help any teams that way. He could help our next GM next year.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:59 PM
GoldenForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
This.

No thanks on having J. Lemaire as coach. He's a good coach, but boring to tears. It's bad enough Carbo always tried to trap the other team in the 3rd when he had the lead, and we all know how that ended up often enough, Lemaire will have them playing the trap in the first 5 minutes of the game.
The one thing you have to keep in mind when calling him a trapping coach is that a) in NJ in the 1990s, the NHL had not yet implemented the post-lockout penalty crackdown so he worked the rules in his favor and b) in Minnesota, he didn't have the talent to do much more than trap and be opportunistic on turnovers.

Montreal has the ability to play a more up tempo, puck possession style...great coaches adapt their system to the talent they have and Lemaire is a great coach. Invariably, we will become a better defensive team but my guess is that he would actually encourage a little Red Wing hockey if he has the assets on the ice.

I think it would be great if he coached the Habs for 2 seasons all the while grooming a young coach to succeed him. Smooth transition is good.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
and you are replacing BG because ? His french is pretty good no ? You guys make me laugh BG ain't going nowhere, get used to it !
If his french is pretty good it surely means that it has nothing to do with language isn't it? As much as people will always like it to be....

1st round exit and either the new owner will send him packing or Gainey will leave. He's probably not going to as soon as the season ends 'cause I would be surprised to see him leaving with all those problems coming in. Unless we know that most players won't like to come back, he's going to work out those contracts.

But I don't see him back in Septebmer with a 1st round loss.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Giddens

If I was Gainey I would hire Lemaire right away as a consultant for the playoffs. Muller and Jarvis are not tactical wizards (I don't know about Lever) but Lemaire is...

Giddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddens View Post
If I was Gainey I would hire Lemaire right away as a consultant for the playoffs. Muller and Jarvis are not tactical wizards (I don't know about Lever) but Lemaire is...
He's under contract with Minnesota until July 1st.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
He's under contract with Minnesota until July 1st.
That.

And the last thing the players needs is an other coach going in..

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
I think its almost a given that we'll see Lemaire as the Habs new head coach next season.

No question.
I don't think that's the case at all. I think it's a longshot he'll be with the Habs next year. If management fired Gainey and wanted to rebuild the culture altogether, that's a different story. I don't think JL would come to MTL as a coach under Gainey though.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:45 PM
LastRide

The Habs need to cut down their goals against, its brutal.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
C4KOMI

was there
done that.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

defensive coach.... the hockey would really be boring then.....I hope he doesnt get the job

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:58 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmmm. I seem to recall Lemaire hated to coach in a City like Montreal where his every move would be second guessed

On the other hand I can't say I'd be too excited about the prospect of a Lemaire type team. I think he is a smart guy, but I just don't want to watch Montreal Wild style games

I have the Centre Ice package and Minnesota was one of the teams I found least interesting to watch. So I hope Lemaire enjoys retirement or coaching in some other City

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:03 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Hmmmm. I seem to recall Lemaire hated to coach in a City like Montreal where his every move would be second guessed

On the other hand I can't say I'd be too excited about the prospect of a Lemaire type team. I think he is a smart guy, but I just don't want to watch Montreal Wild style games

I have the Centre Ice package and Minnesota was one of the teams I found least interesting to watch. So I hope Lemaire enjoys retirement or coaching in some other City
I don't get it.
Seems like some would rather see many uninspired performances during the year, then a hard working team effort that may result in close games and defensive hockey.
The Devils and Wild have had a strong work ethic during Lemaire's stays. No slouches! It would be nice to know that the Habs would not be performing Jekyll and Hyde throughout the year.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd View Post
I don't get it.
Seems like some would rather see many uninspired performances during the year, then a hard working team effort that may result in close games and defensive hockey.
The Devils and Wild have had a strong work ethic during Lemaire's stays. No slouches! It would be nice to know that the Habs would not be performing Jekyll and Hyde throughout the year.
They don't need to play the trap to have a work ethic.
I don't like that style of play, and it doesn't fit the players we have.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissHiggins View Post
They don't need to play the trap to have a work ethic.
I don't like that style of play, and it doesn't fit the players we have.
Montreal is not exactly an offensive powerhouse!
Their leading point getter wuld have been a defenseman if he didn't get hurt. Kovalev caught fire at the end and ended up with 65 points, good for 48th in the NHL.
The team had Plekanec, a 20 goal scorer (39 points), AK, a 23 goal scorer (41 points) and Kovalev with 26 goals. Respectively, they had 6, 6, and 11 PP goals. That style of play is uninspiring. Sabres, Leafs and Flyers had as many or more goals than the Habs this year. New Jersey had 5 goals less than Montreal. I wonder what would fit the hab players style.
The team does not have to play the trap to be successful, but there is definitely something lacking.
Habs needed the Panthers to fade in order to make the playoffs this year.
Something needs to change next year, be it the system, revamping of players,..

Old
04-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Bohemian93

no hes getting out for good

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd View Post
Montreal is not exactly an offensive powerhouse!
Their leading point getter wuld have been a defenseman if he didn't get hurt. Kovalev caught fire at the end and ended up with 65 points, good for 48th in the NHL.
The team had Plekanec, a 20 goal scorer (39 points), AK, a 23 goal scorer (41 points) and Kovalev with 26 goals. Respectively, they had 6, 6, and 11 PP goals. That style of play is uninspiring. Sabres, Leafs and Flyers had as many or more goals than the Habs this year. New Jersey had 5 goals less than Montreal. I wonder what would fit the hab players style.
The team does not have to play the trap to be successful, but there is definitely something lacking.
Habs needed the Panthers to fade in order to make the playoffs this year.
Something needs to change next year, be it the system, revamping of players,..
Maybe not this year, but the Habs had the most productive offense in the league last year, though it may seem hard to believe. I'd much rather win a game 4-3 or 6-4 than a 1-0 where the goalie has to bail them out all the time. No thanks, do not want.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

I wanted to start a new thread 'cause there's a new hockey person now available to be hired.

François Giguère as our new GM !!!

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:51 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneInTokyo View Post
I wanted to start a new thread 'cause there's a new hockey person now available to be hired.

François Giguère as our new GM !!!
Who's the Top prospect for '10? And how badly do we want him?

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Jigger77

Anytime. I want the Habs to win and be difficult to play against.

Why? Because we are not good enough defensively. I personally really enjoy defensive hockey. A 1-0 win for me is more satisfying than a 6-5 win. I hate allowing goals, always have always will.

And also because it works. Especially in the playoffs. If he wants to come back I'd love to see Jaques Lemaire behind our bench.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Maybe not this year, but the Habs had the most productive offense in the league last year, though it may seem hard to believe. I'd much rather win a game 4-3 or 6-4 than a 1-0 where the goalie has to bail them out all the time. No thanks, do not want.
Yes, the Habs were productive offensively last year. So what?
Go back the last five years and you will see that the team's offense and overall performance has been inconsistent. This past decade has not been a good one for the team.
It would be nice to see a consistently top 4-6 team rather than a one year surprise in 2008.

Old
04-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

There's no doubt Lemaire is a fine coach and he has enjoyed success. However, it's well to remember that he voluntarily stepped down as the coach of three different teams: Montréal, New Jersey, and Minnesota. I don't think he has the stomach to start all over again with the Habs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Personaly I would like Lemaire particularly coming to help us against the Bruins. Not as head coach, just dump Jarvis, put Lemaire in there in his place. Lemaire would help us beat the Bruins in so many ways. First as a psychological weapon, the Bruins seeing him there would make them shiver a bit. Second the guy has tasted Bruins' blood before, he knows how to get over their intimidation. Third, who better to beat Julien's trap than someone who's a master at understanding it. Fourth, Lemaire loves to employ dirty tactics and this would help us against a gritty team like the Ruins. Heck just one-on-one Lemaire would humiliate Julien as far as coaching.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I'd get him just for our games against NJ. Then trap the **** out of them and see how they like it.

( and yes i know they don't play like that anymore)

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I like Lemaire but I wouldn't want him to coach this team.I hope Hartley is named head coach with Lever and Muller as assitants

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Lucius

The big thing for me is to wait and see who is available.

Jacques Martin might be an interesting choice, if he gets the boot in Florida. Terrible GM, but a good coach and passes the French test.

Definitely one of the most experience bilingual candidates out there and likes an up tempo style.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote