HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Son just starting to play

Old
04-12-2009, 01:45 PM
hockeymom03

vCash: 500
Son just starting to play

and I know nothing about the sport

where my son comes from I have no idea LOL - both my husband and I are not into sports - his 1/2 siblings are 100% into video games
and about a week before my sons birthday he was watching a hockey game at walmart and asked for a hockey stick instead of a video game (like I was gonna argue)

I got him a street hockey set - and he had started to bug me to play on ice.. - so I took him to a rink to show him ice- and found a place that does 8 weeks free hockey lessons (my guess to see if your kid actually likes it) - He asked to start now - (this is with NO pressure from me) Hey I figure why not let him go at his speed... (he's 6) but I know NOTHING about Hockey - being a hockey mom or anything!

any tips? advice? (besides selling my eggs for equiptment and touring costs)

hockeymom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:34 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
The biggest thing is to let him have fun and don't pressure him too much. But the best thing you can do is keep him skating, keep him in lessons, and leave it to the people who know the things to guide him. If you'd like to be more involved there is plenty of videos on drills and fundamentals that you can learn and reinforce to him.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 02:42 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

it might be better that you don't know hockey so well

speaking from expirience as a coach, I can tell you there is nothing worse then a parent trying to coach the kid, especially when they tell them something different then what we tell them. Just make sure he can play somewhere, get a decent amount of ice time, and not have a lot of pressure on

The more you watch him, the more you'll learn to love the game to, good luck

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 06:21 PM
SirJW

Skating is the most important thing to learn. If he likes it, extra lessons would be great. Good fitting skates are key, he doesn't need the top of the line yet just the pair that feels best. You do not need the latest and greatest stick, a low price point one will be fine. The rink can steer you in the right direction for gear in your area. Play it Again Sports (PIAS) and Craigslist are good options for gear and if you are lucky enough to live in an area that has Ski and Hockey gear swaps you can look there in the fall. Most of us older players grew up playing w/ hand me down gear, I'm not sure if that is the norm anymore...

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Huggy Bear*

Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
Don't spend too much on skates at first because he'll be growin' like a weed.

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

If he loves the clinics week in and week out, it's best to put him on a team that practices quite often (2-4 times a week). It will always give him an advantage. For the first four years of playing, I couldn't afford to pay for a team like that, had 3 practices all season, and the rest were games. Barely improved. I decided to split the price for a team that practices a lot and improved greatly.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom03 View Post
and I know nothing about the sport

where my son comes from I have no idea LOL - both my husband and I are not into sports - his 1/2 siblings are 100% into video games
and about a week before my sons birthday he was watching a hockey game at walmart and asked for a hockey stick instead of a video game (like I was gonna argue)

I got him a street hockey set - and he had started to bug me to play on ice.. - so I took him to a rink to show him ice- and found a place that does 8 weeks free hockey lessons (my guess to see if your kid actually likes it) - He asked to start now - (this is with NO pressure from me) Hey I figure why not let him go at his speed... (he's 6) but I know NOTHING about Hockey - being a hockey mom or anything!

any tips? advice? (besides selling my eggs for equiptment and touring costs)
Coaching Tips...I have tons. Some like them, some don't. It's all good!
Come and sign up on my site...it's free. Tons of tips and drills.

Now, one of the other posters on this thread said..."Don't spend money on skates." In fact, this is where you want to spend the money. Not on expensive equipment until he's at the checking age level.

Hockey is 80% skating and 80% of skating is balance. This is key! Invest time and money in skating clinics. You want to have a super star...skating is where it's at.

Now, as far as expensive skates. I recommend you go to "Play it again sports" and find an expensive pair that someone wanted to turn in for resale. Trust me when I tell you, they are out there, and they will be CHEAP!

An expensive skate has great support. And like the other guy said, kids grow out of them very fast. So go get expensive used one.

If you want help, PM me and I will try to help long distance.

Head coach

04-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy Bear View Post
Don't spend too much on skates at first because he'll be growin' like a weed.
At the same time, don't try to cheat a little by buying them too big so he can grow into them - ill-fitting boots will make learning to skate very rough on him. Headcoach's advice about finding a quality used pair is good.

When picking out a stick, while holding it straight vertically it should come up to his chin if he's in skates, or his nose if he's not.

And you can never own too much hockey tape.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Headcoach's advice about finding a quality used pair is good.

When picking out a stick, while holding it straight vertically it should come up to his chin if he's in skates, or his nose if he's not.

And you can never own too much hockey tape.
Thanks for the plug. If you don't mind, let me add to your stick thing. I am about to open up a large can of worms on this one...

Hockeymom03: When you select a stick for him, make sure that it is the proper stick for him. 85% of all Canadiens shoot left. The reason behind this is that they teach their kids the proper way to select a stick.

The top hand that goes at the top of the stick, is the artistic side of the stick which enables him to stick handle. It helps in rolling his wrist in order for him to cup the puck.

The bottom hand that goes down the shaft, is known as the power hand and as he gets older, this hand will help him add pressure to the stick to make the flex of his stick work for him and to use this hand as a fulcrum, which will allow him to use maximum leverage behind his wrist shot.

So what do I mean by the artistic side. What ever hand he writes with, be it pen, pencil, or crayon...this hand goes at the top of the stick.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
hockeymom03

Thanks guys, the only gear I've bought now, is skates in his current shoe size and a helmet/mask (we can use the equiptment where he can learn to play for free - I just didnt feel right him using someone elses helmet esp b/c he has a big head - and the skates - I gotta good deal on them)

His coach is very nice - I was gonna wait until he could rollerblade til I put him onthe ice - but the coach suggested I put him on now (considering he isnt getting paid - i figure it isnt about the $$)

He is very excited about Wednesday.........

BTW does he NEED a mouth guard right away

hockeymom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Huggy Bear*

Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
Quote:
Thanks guys, the only gear I've bought now, is skates in his current shoe size and a helmet/mask (we can use the equiptment where he can learn to play for free - I just didnt feel right him using someone elses helmet esp b/c he has a big head - and the skates - I gotta good deal on them)

His coach is very nice - I was gonna wait until he could rollerblade til I put him onthe ice - but the coach suggested I put him on now (considering he isnt getting paid - i figure it isnt about the $$)

He is very excited about Wednesday.........

I would definitely invest in one, they really help protect against concussions.

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Sideline

Quote:
If he's six it can probably wait a few days. As the other poster mentioned the chief benefit is concussion prevention. At the speed 6 year olds move those are hard to get if you're wearing a good quality properly fitted helmet.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Old Time Sauce

Quote:
I would get him a mouthguard ASAP, its a good habit to get into, he may not truly need it yet, but i've seen kids who never had to were mouth guards growing up, get older , still don't where a mouth guard, get drilled without one in, and get some serious concussions, very scary stuff

i was taught growing up to always have one, and i can't play without one, it just doesn't feel right

as a parent, helmet and mouth guard are the most important pieces of equipment not to go cheap on

just my two cents

hope your son has a ball playing the greatest game in the world

Old Time Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:01 AM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
I used to wear a mouthguard but I took it out of my helmet because it was giving me mouth sores and I can't talk during games..

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Globalz

Headcoach could you elaborate on why its better to force the kid to play lefty if he writes with his right hand?

Im a righty in hockey and in life aswell actually in eveysport i am a righty and all of that is by feeling.

Globalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:56 AM
SirJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24godard View Post
I used to wear a mouthguard but I took it out of my helmet because it was giving me mouth sores and I can't talk during games..
Try a different mouth guard.

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:13 AM
vivianmb

ask your kid this question before he gets on the ice.
"what is your job?"
his response should be this;
1. HAVE FUN
2.LISTEN TO THE COACH.
3.TRY MY HARDEST.
unless you start coaching him yourself... that is all you have to do.(and support him of course)

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:14 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalz View Post
Headcoach could you elaborate on why its better to force the kid to play lefty if he writes with his right hand?

Im a righty in hockey and in life aswell actually in eveysport i am a righty and all of that is by feeling.
strong hand on top.

Old
04-13-2009, 11:27 AM
LarryO

Quote:

Same here. I don't believe in having a naturally stronger side. One side will only be as strong as you train it to be.

If you want to use the "artistic side" as an argument, it's well known that the right hemisphere of the brain is known as the artistic side. It controls the left side of the body. That would mean that most people should be playing with the left hand at the top of the stick. Not so. Just let the kid hold the stick the way he feels comfortable with, and let him practise and train that side, instead of trying to force some pre-conceived notions on him.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

i do most things left handed but also shoot left.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I think its pretty badass that he's that into hockey at age 6.

what brand are his skates just outta curiosity?

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:11 PM
frito

A lot of this has been discussed but I'll chime in on a couple topics:

1. Mouth guard - By all means get him a mouth guard now. even though they aren't checking, kids can still fall down and bang their noggin. As was pointed out, the main propose of a mouth guard is to prevent concussions, not necessaily to protect teeth. You can get a custom fit mouth guard for about $50 at www.customguards.com. While coaching U10 girls, i had a girl bite through her tongue as she fell and banged her chin against her knee. A mouthguard would have prevented this. Ironic thing is her dad is a doctor.

2. Stick - if your little guy is just starting out I suggest getting a straight stick (i.e. one without a curve). I made my kids use a straight stick for the first few years they played. It allows them to naturally gravitate one way or the other as to what feels comfortable. It also helps with the basic stickhandling and passing. They may not be able to lift their shots as easily with a straight stick but that's not the most important thing when first starting out. By the time he grows out of that stick he should be demonstrating a natural tendency to shoot one way or the other. Buy him the proper curve at that time.

Good luck and have fun.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:11 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveLeCavalier View Post
I think its pretty badass that he's that into hockey at age 6.

what brand are his skates just outta curiosity?
my older son has been on ice since 17months.
my younger one has been on ice sine14 months.
both have been hockey nuts since ...ever.
it's a sport boys just take to.

Last edited by vivianmb: 04-13-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Headcoach

Quote:

Well, Playing hockey is not like playing Baseball or hitting a ball at the driving range. Plus, it has nothing to do with forcing anyone to do anything. It mainly has to do with using the proper leverage and force behind each shot.

Now, can you train a kid to shot anyway they want? Yes, you shoot right, it proves that one can train their body to do things differently.

Example: I shoot left, but I bat right and drive golf ball right. Now, if you have ever spent time with a golf pro, he will have you stand with your left hand at the top of the shaft and place your right hand under the left, lacing the index of the left and the pinky of the right...correct?

Well, when he has you driving long distances, he will have you stand the same way, but only with your left hand on the shaft and drive the balls down the field. Why?

The golf pro will tell you that the left hand is for power behind the drive and the right hand is for accuracy. The way you do this is by rolling the right wrist a couple of degrees to make the ball turn in the direction of the dog leg fairway.

Now, in hockey the bottom hand does the same effect for power. In fact, if you think about it, the bottom hand just holds the stick lightly while you stick handle with the top hand. The top hand does all of the manipulation of the stick when it comes time to cupping the puck.

A drill that I have seen in the past is to take an empty toilet paper roll and place it down the shaft on the bottom hand to hold the shaft with. This is to get you to think about not tolding ths shaft to tight while you stick handle. Thus, allowing the top hand to do all of the majority of the artictic work with the stick...get it!

So tell me..."Why do more Canadiens shoot left?" Is it because they all are left handed writers? Do more left handed writers live in Canada then the US?

Why do more Europeans shoot left? Is it because every where else in the world they are doing it wrong? Or, could it just be that hockey is more of a Canadien sport then it is here in the US.

How that hockey is here to stay in the US and more kids are egtting use to playing, more parents are going into "Dicks Sporting Goods" and thereis a kid behind the counter asking the parent..."which way does your son bat?"

The parent says...right, so the clerk hand him a right stick, never played the game himself, now you have a kid that will shoot right the rest of his life, not knowing why his shot is so weak. Yes, I know there are a lot of players out ther that right with their right hand and shoot right. great more power to you. But it probably took you twice as long to learn how to shoot right then it would have been is someone would have help you correctly when you started.

Or could it be that ALL of those Canadiens are wrong...Hum, let me see.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Globalz

No i think it is actually right that most right handed writers play in their counter side but it's not a big problem. i still sometimes borrow a lefty stick for fun and it's just a wierd feeling to shoot and have a good balance on shoots i guess im just different.

Globalz is offline   Reply With Quote