Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anual Fed Up Rant

Old
03-06-2009, 08:15 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
I'll keep my rants in one place.

I am almost done with the wild. Never as a fan. But trying to guess what they will do next.

We sign Backstrom. Great. Now we have an expensive goalie on a d first team. He is solid. Thats is clear. But Roloson, Fernendez, even McLennan were good here in our system. Harding has a better GAA and SV%. He is cheaper.

In Backstrom we have a million dollar garage to park a 2001 Ford F-150.

We are most likely going to lose Pouliot and Harding. Two young guys that never really got a chance. We play Gillies like he is the next best thing. Sheppard is in the tail end of his second year here. And is looking better. But in 36 more games he out scored Pouliot by 3 points. And Sheppard had better line mates.

I will not get into te farm. We do not have one and what we do have.

We hold onto out first this year like it means something. Brunno and Nolan are one injury away from never coming back. Brunno is all ready not the same.

In the four years we will have Backstrom. We have a good amount of money tied up in older players. We have yet to come around potential young stars. Little cap room. what are we thinking. Just get into the play offs and hope?

Either become sellers or buyers. But not bargin shoppers.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
We sign Backstrom. Great. Now we have an expensive goalie on a d first team. He is solid. Thats is clear. But Roloson, Fernendez, even McLennan were good here in our system. Harding has a better GAA and SV%. He is cheaper.
There were rumors that Lemaire would retire last summer, and, if they held any merit, then there's a good chance that he could retire this summer. Once Lemaire's gone, don't be surprised to see the direction and style of this team change. Having Backstrom locked up for 4 years means that the Wild will be strong on the back end even after Lemaire is gone. When the team becomes more offensive, they won't have to worry as much as most other teams about being scored against, because a very solid goalie will be back there.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 06:09 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
There were rumors that Lemaire would retire last summer, and, if they held any merit, then there's a good chance that he could retire this summer. Once Lemaire's gone, don't be surprised to see the direction and style of this team change. Having Backstrom locked up for 4 years means that the Wild will be strong on the back end even after Lemaire is gone. When the team becomes more offensive, they won't have to worry as much as most other teams about being scored against, because a very solid goalie will be back there.

Too bad there isn't enough cap room to actually land a top line scorer though. We are still going to have to do this with what we already have on the team, maybe even less.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:55 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
... Once Lemaire's gone, don't be surprised to see the direction and style of this team change.
I don't think this will happen. The Jacques Bible of hockey has been written in stone on this franchise. Look at the New Jersey Devils. The still play his game 11+ seasons after he left there.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I don't think this will happen. The Jacques Bible of hockey has been written in stone on this franchise. Look at the New Jersey Devils. The still play his game 11+ seasons after he left there.
I think that it has more to do with Brodeur than anything.

Old
03-08-2009, 09:51 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
I think that it has more to do with Brodeur than anything.
Add to that their defensive core. Stevens, Souray, Neids....that was the '98-'99 core with Rafalski coming the following year. Not like they didn't have some amazing players on the blueline that made it pretty easy to help out Marty. Play the game your good at. Trap system just doesn't work in the WC. NJ is only 8-5-0 this year against the WC

Old
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Add to that their defensive core. Stevens, Souray, Neids....that was the '98-'99 core with Rafalski coming the following year. Not like they didn't have some amazing players on the blueline that made it pretty easy to help out Marty. Play the game your good at. Trap system just doesn't work in the WC. NJ is only 8-5-0 this year against the WC
Exactly.

The Wild have a great goaltender, and a solid defense. There's no reason to make the forwards perform less on offense with the back end as strong as it is. The forwards need to be focusing on offense, and under Lemaire's system, they simply aren't doing that.

A great example of the exact same situation is the Canucks. They played a defensive style last year, and missed the playoffs. They changed to a more offensive style for this season, and suddenly they're 5th in the conference.

Old
03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
MN_Gopher

One problem, well maybe my biggest problem is. As much as we are an expansion team. We were never trezted like one.

We always use vets and never just let the kids play. Yes we do bring along our first rounder most years and if not by the next. Koivu was an exeption and Thelen just never turned out.

Our deep draft picks. Schultz got in. But Roche never got a good look(in retrospect he was not good enough but we did not know that, Wallin 10 points in 19 NHL games, but could not break in Kalus same thing, Michalek gets traded for almost nothing, again another that could break in with us. Ryan Jones gets traded, a guy with 15 NHL points in limited time between the NHL and AHL. And do on...

So we rely on out studs for spots. Thats fine with me. IF you have a Brodeur, Elias, Stevens, Neidermyer, even "depth" guys like Holik, Arnott, White and so on.

Or Vancouver. We have no one like the Sedins. Van goes out and gets Sundin. when was the last time the Wild made a big move during the season?

Look at the ages of the top 10 scorers on each team. MN 25, 24, 28, 35, 37 32, 31, 24, 28, 32. Three at 25 or younger and 5 in their 30s. VAN. 28, 28, 24, 34, 27, 27, 22, 23, 22, 25. You have 5 at 25 and younger and 1 in their 30s.

By the ages you would think we aere on the tail end of a great run. But no. we signed these older guys to give us just enough pop to fight for 8th and make it so we will never know waht we have on the farm.

Old
04-12-2009, 07:28 AM
MN_Gopher

I was looking at the team. And thinking about what JL did. ANd what DR did. If he had not made a few trades. And kept a few players our team wuld have looked liek a young up and coming team.

Michalek and Mitchel on D. And if not for the Demo trade probally Mitera back there too. Reitz maybe. Kuba still. .

O'Sullivan and Jones up front. Ward maybe still?

And Harding in the net.

To go along with Gaborik, PMB, Koivu, Clutterbuck, Boogaard, Sheppard, Gillies, Pouliot, Olvecky, Veillieux, Burns, Schultz, Foster and i am sure a few more.

Thats some good talent for next to nothing against the cap. Thats a good foundation.

My big thing now. Is if we still hide under build from with in add key FAs. I am lazt to do the salary cap for those guys. But i bet it is low.

On D

Mitchell- Burns
Mickalek- Kuba
Schultz- Mitera-Reitz or Foster.
With Cuma i nthe near future.
We could add a J-Bo to that in cap space no problem.

Gaborik- Koivu- O'Sullivan
PMB- Sheppard-
Pouliot- Jones- Clutterbuck
Veilieux- Boogaard-

You could add 2 FAs no problem and bump Sheppard and Jones down one.

Old
04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
BigT2002

What about Bruno?? Know he wasn't drafted by us but we still acquired him in the young years