HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2009 Draft Talk : Live From Montreal!

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2009, 11:28 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
yeah, I also thought they redid the ranking after each round.

We finished 1st in East and 3rd in the league last year, yet we were supposed to draft 25th.
Ahhh, good point guys, didn't think about that. So obviously the farther you go in the playoffs, the later you draft.

Old
04-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Count of DannyKristo

This is how it works.

The playoff clubs are ranked 15-30 in the draft order as of right now, with the division winners slotted in at 25-30.

The two losers of the conference finals are ranked 27 and 28, the SCF loser is ranked 29 and the Stanley Cup champion picks 30th.

That is why we were to pick 25th in 2008. We started at 28th at the beginning of the playoffs (with Det and SJ above), but Pittsburgh-Philly-Dallas jumped ahead of us because they made it to the Conference finals.

Old
04-11-2009, 01:08 PM
SwedeSenators

This question has probably been asked but when are ticket information and stuff planning to be released to the public?

Old
04-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimono View Post
If we get eliminated in the first round (let's hope don't.), um, what pick # are we likely to get ?

I soooo want Philippe Paradis. (as a 2nd pick.)
I saw Paradis play last night and I like him a lot. I don't think he has the offensive flair to play a top-6 role in the NHL but because of his size, strength and excellent, stong skating, he's pretty close to a sure-shot to make it there as a 3rd or 4th liner. Plays a very smart & simple, north-south game, hits hard and doesn't take any shifts off.

Old
04-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I saw Paradis play last night and I like him a lot. I don't think he has the offensive flair to play a top-6 role in the NHL but because of his size, strength and excellent, stong skating, he's pretty close to a sure-shot to make it there as a 3rd or 4th liner. Plays a very smart & simple, north-south game, hits hard and doesn't take any shifts off.
I see him as comparable to Cormier, who I really liked last year.

Probably an early-mid 2nd rounder. Wish we still had one. Or two.

Old
04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
I agree. But I also think he has some underrated hockey sense. Small example but he's skating towards the opponent's blue line with a teamates just behind him, get the 2 defenders to attack him so he slowed down, let his teamate pass him and passed the puck so his teamate has a great scoring chance almost being alone. And tons of others plays without the puck as well.

Again, not a 1st rounder but I would not hesitate to pick him with a 2nd rounder that we don't have yet. I believe that he'll be gone before our 3rd rounder or even Atlanta's 3rd rounder if we lose in the 1st round.

Old
04-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I agree. But I also think he has some underrated hockey sense. Small example but he's skating towards the opponent's blue line with a teamates just behind him, get the 2 defenders to attack him so he slowed down, let his teamate pass him and passed the puck so his teamate has a great scoring chance almost being alone. And tons of others plays without the puck as well.

Again, not a 1st rounder but I would not hesitate to pick him with a 2nd rounder that we don't have yet. I believe that he'll be gone before our 3rd rounder or even Atlanta's 3rd rounder if we lose in the 1st round.
Since the draft is in Montreal, I could definately see a trade up that has us giving next year's 2nd+ (maybe one third rounder). Of course, they'd have to like Paradis and he'd have to drop somewhat near the middle of the 2nd, which is possible.

Old
04-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Some good news and some bad news for us Werek fans.

As I predicted ( ), Ethan Werek has gone on a tear in the U18's, tied for first in goal scoring in the tourny so far. He now has 4 goals, 1 assist and a roughing penalty () in 2 games.

Bad news. He might not be avilable at our spot.

Old
04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Some good news and some bad news for us Werek fans.

As I predicted ( ), Ethan Werek has gone on a tear in the U18's, tied for first in goal scoring in the tourny so far. He now has 4 goals, 1 assist and a roughing penalty () in 2 games.

Bad news. He might not be avilable at our spot.
19 goals for Canada in 2 games. Not exactly the best sample size.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 04-12-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old
04-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
19 goals for Canada in 2 games. Not exactly the best sample size.
Considering he's leading the team in goals (and all skaters except the guys he's tied with), I'd say it's still impressive.

However, there's still plenty of hockey left to play.

Old
04-13-2009, 09:48 AM
habsdude

So, at the moment it appears we would be drafting 19th since among the playoff teams Anaheim, Columbus, and St.Louis have less points.

Of course this could change if we reach the conference finals or one of the lower teams i mentionned make it. Have I understood correctly?

Old
04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsdude View Post
So, at the moment it appears we would be drafting 19th since among the playoff teams Anaheim, Columbus, and St.Louis have less points.

Of course this could change if we reach the conference finals or one of the lower teams i mentionned make it. Have I understood correctly?
If the Habs lose to Boston and all the other favorites win their series, we'll be drafting 18th. Any upsets from Anaheim, Columbus or St-Louis would mean we get to draft earlier. If all those teams win and we lose, we get to draft 15th overall. If we beat Boston, the earliest we can pick is 23rd.

Old
04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
fredez

I found a way to watch Elistserien games. If you contact me by PM, I'll provide you with a link (torrent site).

I have 8-9 games but I've watched only 2 so far. Both were Timra vs Frolunda so I got a chance to watch 2009 eligible Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson and Anton Lander. They don't get much ice time but that Magnus kid always (ALWAYS) make something happen on the ice. Almost every shift! Lander plays on the same line and, from my limited viewings, he benefits a lot from Magnus. I hadn't read much about MSP's passing ability and I originally thought it was a flaw but on some occasions he delivered some pretty creative feeds to Lander who couldn't bury it. I was also impressed by MSP's explosiveness and speed. His style reminded me a lot of Michael Frolik when he first played at the WJC.

Lander has good instincts and good positioning but his finishing ability is lacking. Missed two golden opportunities from 5-10 feet in. Seemed to play with intensity though which is always good.

A guy that caught my eye is Eric Moe (yes he's swedish). He's an undrafted 21 years old defenseman. He was solid on both ends, solid first pass, well positioned and seems to have a certain "flair" in the offensive zone. I'm intrigued and I believe he has the potential to be a #5-#6 D in the NHL.

Other notes :

-Ari Ahonen is an absolutely horrible goalie.
-Peter Tenkrat looks pretty good (which makes me question the quality of this league)
-Oscar Hedman (Victor's brother and 2004 draftee by Caps) is a rock on defense
-It's only two games but the Elitserien doesn't seem physical at all

Old
04-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Roulin

At tsn.ca, it looks like Bob McKenzie is taking draft questions that he'll answer at 1pm.

I asked him about the Swedish forwards. Not that the Habs are likely to take one, given the team's recent draft history, but they are interesting - I find it hard to gather info on Josefson or Johansson.

Old
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
At tsn.ca, it looks like Bob McKenzie is taking draft questions that he'll answer at 1pm.

I asked him about the Swedish forwards. Not that the Habs are likely to take one, given the team's recent draft history, but they are interesting - I find it hard to gather info on Josefson or Johansson.
I got a question in for us Werek fanboys.

Old
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Fozz

Quote:

Some info on Josefsson found here:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=418132

By the way, the final rankings from Central Scouting are out already:
Article on top N.A. players:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

Top 10 North American skaters:
1 TAVARES, JOHN LONDON (OHL)
2 DUCHENE, MATT BRAMPTON (OHL)
3 KANE, EVANDER VANCOUVER (WHL)
4 SCHENN, BRAYDEN BRANDON (WHL)
5 SCHROEDER, JORDAN U OF MINNESOTA (WCHA)
6 MOORE, JOHN CHICAGO (USHL)
7 GLENNIE, SCOTT BRANDON (WHL)
8 DESPRES, SIMON SAINT JOHN (QMJHL)
9 COWEN, JARED SPOKANE (WHL)
10 KASSIAN, ZACK PETERBOROUGH (OHL)

Top 10 European skaters:
1 HEDMAN, VICTOR MODO, SWE
2 PAAJARVI-SVENSSON,MAGNUS TIMRA, SWE
3 JOSEFSON, JACOB DJURGARDEN, SWE
4 EKMAN-LARSSON, OLIVER LEKSAND, SWE 2
5 ERIXON, TIM SKELLEFTEA, SWE
6 RUNDBLAD, DAVID SKELLEFTEA, SWE
7 KLINGBERG,CARL FROLUNDA, SWE JUN
8 JOHANSSON, MARCUS FARJESTAD, SWE
9 ORLOV, DMITRI NOVOKUZNETSK, RUS
10 NATTINEN, JOONAS BLUES, FIN JUN

Old
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I got a question in for us Werek fanboys.
Right on!

Quote:
Some info on Josefsson found here:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=418132
Thanks a bunch, Fozz.

Old
04-14-2009, 12:41 PM
vad87

Hey MTL, do you know when your list gonna be ready? I'm looking forward to see it

Old
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Right on!
I tried.

We'll just have to wait for tonight to get some more insight on the guy.

Old
04-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:

He answered my question about Rundblad

Old
04-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Darz

Thread has to be closed due to number of posts.

Feel free to continue the discussion in Part II

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=631237