HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-signing Babchuk and Ruutu: what's it going to take?

Old
04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Cardiac_Canes

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I would also consider Brind'Amour in the retirement category despite what he said earlier in the year during his struggles.... Jussi Jokinen gets offered a pittance as compared to his current salary to stay on a team with a more clearly defined role for him.
No way Brindy retires after finishing the season so strong. I'd be really shocked if he hung up his skates. And isn't Jokinens QO something like $1.9 mil? I heard that somewhere but I'm not sure.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:31 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Larose is a fan favorite, but I think it's imprudent to give him a "big" contract at his age after coming off a career year of a contract year. I'd be fine with something like 2 or 3 years/1.5 million per, but that's only if we can get rid of some dead weight like Kaberle, Wallin and Walker to save some money. The big priorities should be Ruutu, Cole and Babchuk as I feel they have much more of an effect on the team. I'm also not ready to give up on Eaves.. he might not be the spark plug that Larose is but he can do everything Larose does, if not more (he's already produced more albeit with Ottawa a few seasons ago), plus he's already under contract. He's younger and even with his craptastic past two seasons he still has more career points in less games than Larose. If we can somehow afford to keep Rosie after re-signing our key guys, I'd be all for it.

I also agree with Cardiac there's no way Brindy hangs 'em up after this season... unless we win a Cup or something, but we have a ways to go for that one.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
No way Brindy retires after finishing the season so strong. I'd be really shocked if he hung up his skates. And isn't Jokinens QO something like $1.9 mil? I heard that somewhere but I'm not sure.
In order to keep Jokinen against his will, we'd have to offer him his minimum qualifying offer. However, since he's not exactly a hot commodity he and his agent would be insane to expect anything approaching that number and both parties should be fully aware of that.

The QO only serves to retain the player's rights as restricted. If the June 1st deadline passes and Jokinen has not signed a contract with Carolina and has not been offered his QO then he is free to field offers as an unrestricted free agent.

With the massive mismanagement of Jokinen it wouldn't shock me to see him go elsewhere after the season, but you can bet your bottom dollar that he won't get inside $500k of that minimum QO he has.

In technical terms, we could probably offer him the league minimum and if he signed it then great for us. However, if we offered him that and he sat on it until June 1st, we'd either have to offer him his qualifying offer in order to keep his rights or just assume that he won't be back.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote