HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
  #76
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,238
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I wonder how much Regier shapes the draft?

There are some GMs that let their Amateur Scouting staff drive the decisions and take a hands off approach.

Then there are other GMs who are more hands on.

I wonder whoch way Regier leans?
Regier is the chief decision maker in the first two-three rounds. The scouting department calls most of the shots from there.

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
04-07-2009, 09:21 AM
  #77
HarriSateri
 
HarriSateri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
I would go for OEL over Ellis if he is still on the board.

HarriSateri is offline  
Old
04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
  #78
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Regier is the chief decision maker in the first two-three rounds. The scouting department calls most of the shots from there.
Persson over Berglund

Jame is online now  
Old
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
  #79
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
I would go for OEL over Ellis if he is still on the board.
Forgive my ignorance, but who is OEL?

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
04-07-2009, 10:59 AM
  #80
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but who is OEL?
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, D, Leksand (Sweden)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=7693&lang=en

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=7027

Quote:
12 Buffalo Sabres 85 0.8 - D Oliver Ekman-Larsson
13 St. Louis Blues 86 1.5 - D Ryan Ellis
14 Florida Panthers 89 0.5 - D Simon Despres

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
04-07-2009, 11:55 AM
  #81
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I sort of like it. There is some talk that OEL could end up being the best d-man in the draft, long-term, but I'd still much rather end up getting a forward. The pipeline on D is surprisingly deep.

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
  #82
HarriSateri
 
HarriSateri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
I sort of like it. There is some talk that OEL could end up being the best d-man in the draft, long-term, but I'd still much rather end up getting a forward. The pipeline on D is surprisingly deep.
I would draft the best player available rather than draft for need personally.

Also, we could potentially end up with the 7th overall pick if we suck enough and the teams below us win a few of their last games.

HarriSateri is offline  
Old
04-07-2009, 09:13 PM
  #83
N.Y. Orangeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
I would draft the best player available rather than draft for need personally.

Also, we could potentially end up with the 7th overall pick if we suck enough and the teams below us win a few of their last games.
Put me in the camp that in non-egregious calls, organizational need trumps overall rating. The concept of signing or trading for quality has become increasingly difficult in the last 2-3 years.

N.Y. Orangeman is offline  
Old
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
  #84
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,375
vCash: 500
The 5 Mock Drafts on NHL.com has us tacking:

Adam Kimelman: 13th overall Scott Gleenie, RW, Brandon Wheat Kings

Brad Holland: 13th overall Jacob Josefson, C, Djurgardens IF Stockholm

Shawn P. Roarke: 13th overall Dimitri Kulikov, D, Drummondville

Mysterious Eastern Conference Scout: 12th overall John Moore, D, Chicago Steel

Western Scout: 12th overall Scott Glennie again.

I'd be for Glennie.


Last edited by Duddy: 04-08-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Duddy is offline  
Old
04-08-2009, 06:19 PM
  #85
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,004
vCash: 500
After going completely North American last 2 years, it'll be interesting to see whether they continue that trend or pick a European. That may work against picking OEL if they continue to make N.A. picks.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
04-11-2009, 01:52 PM
  #86
Jim Carr's Rug
Registered User
 
Jim Carr's Rug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
I have to say, I was really impressed with Ryan Ellis at the World Juniors. I kind of hope someone ahead of us reaches for him for though, leaving a little more forward talent on the board.

But if he's there, how can Buffalo not take him?

Jim Carr's Rug is offline  
Old
04-11-2009, 02:10 PM
  #87
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr's Rug View Post
I have to say, I was really impressed with Ryan Ellis at the World Juniors. I kind of hope someone ahead of us reaches for him for though, leaving a little more forward talent on the board.

But if he's there, how can Buffalo not take him?
Doesn't fill a need and would give Buffalo yet another midget to get manhandled.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 08:42 AM
  #88
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Doesn't fill a need and would give Buffalo yet another midget to get manhandled.
Who do they have in the pipeline that can really run a PP?

I think there is always a need for a defenseman with high level hockey sense and is a PP wizard like Ellis.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
  #89
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Who do they have in the pipeline that can really run a PP?

I think there is always a need for a defenseman with high level hockey sense and is a PP wizard like Ellis.
Gragnani.

Biega, Brennan and Schiestel also are that type of player.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
  #90
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Gragnani.

Biega, Brennan and Schiestel also are that type of player.
I've seen Gragnani and he does not have anywhere near the hockey sense that Ellis has.

Gragnani is more of a Mike Green-lite type guy (More of a shooter) and I see Ellis more like Rafalski (More of a playmaker).

And the Biega/Brennan/Schiestal mix seems like Sekera-ish upside to me. As a comparison, Ellis outscored Brennan and Schiestal combined this season.

Having that group as the future PP QB Dman is like saying they have enough size up front in the pipeline because of Adam and Gogulla.

I still think that the value Ellis will have at 13 will trump organizational need as 10 years from now, I'm betting that Ellis is one of the 5 or 6 best players in the 2009 draft.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
  #91
BritSabre
Patrick's Eye Shadow
 
BritSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reading, UK
Country: England
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
The guy I want in our spot is Jacob Josefson, if he's gone then grab Scott Glennie - his versatility appeals to me. Very disappointed we threw away the 2nd rounder, there's still going to be a lot of talent left in the 2nd round.

BritSabre is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 08:59 AM
  #92
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I've seen Gragnani and he does not have anywhere near the hockey sense that Ellis has.

Gragnani is more of a Mike Green-lite type guy (More of a shooter) and I see Ellis more like Rafalski (More of a playmaker).

And the Biega/Brennan/Schiestal mix seems like Sekera-ish upside to me. As a comparison, Ellis outscored Brennan and Schiestal combined this season.

Having that group as the future PP QB Dman is like saying they have enough size up front in the pipeline because of Adam and Gogulla.

I still think that the value Ellis will have at 13 will trump organizational need as 10 years from now, I'm betting that Ellis is one of the 5 or 6 best players in the 2009 draft.
Good points all.

And yet... it wouldn't surprise me if he's not on the board when the Sabres go to pick.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 09:02 AM
  #93
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Good points all.

And yet... it wouldn't surprise me if he's not on the board when the Sabres go to pick.
If he is off the board, then I'm all for the most talented forward (preferably a center) with size.

WhoIsJimBob is online now  
Old
04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
  #94
Devo-2
Registered User
 
Devo-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I still think that the value Ellis will have at 13 will trump organizational need as 10 years from now, I'm betting that Ellis is one of the 5 or 6 best players in the 2009 draft.
Which is why if DR is still running the show come draft time Ellis has the time of "value" that fits Darcy's mold.

Devo-2 is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 09:14 AM
  #95
OpethianSabre20
..........
 
OpethianSabre20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Youngstown, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,123
vCash: 500
I really liked what I saw out of Panik in the WJCs. I wouldn't mind trading down and picking him up.

OpethianSabre20 is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 10:37 AM
  #96
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,768
vCash: 500
I'm usually a BPA type of person, but I'm really thinking the Sabres need some 1st round quality forwards in the system. If the choice was between Hedman and Josefson, then we stick with Best Player Available of course, but if there is no clear cut BPA, then I think the organization should choose the highest F on their board and hope for the best. With our recent track record drafting in the first round its not a given the guy we "want" is going to pan out anyways. Might as well pick a player with more oportunities to advance at a position with less depth.

Digable5 is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
  #97
Tra La La
Registered User
 
Tra La La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
OK

So I believe in drafting talent. Despite the size thing they shouldn't pass on SCHROEDER if he's there.

Tra La La is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 05:03 PM
  #98
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
OK

So I believe in drafting talent. Despite the size thing they shouldn't pass on SCHROEDER if he's there.
Definitely not, but I highly doubt he'll be there at their pick. Though it's a little early for him, another guy I wouldn't mind considering is Zach Kassian, add a big, gritty power-forward to the top 6 at some point. He's been compared to Milan Lucic, we could definitely use that type of player in our pipeline.

Buffalo87 is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
  #99
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Definitely not, but I highly doubt he'll be there at their pick. Though it's a little early for him, another guy I wouldn't mind considering is Zach Kassian, add a big, gritty power-forward to the top 6 at some point. He's been compared to Milan Lucic, we could definitely use that type of player in our pipeline.
Pssst. See pages 2 and 3.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
04-13-2009, 05:26 PM
  #100
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,238
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Pssst. See pages 2 and 3.
I'd love to see them trade down and get a later first and a second or two.

Hobey Baker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.