HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bruins fans' overconfidence / Comparison with 2001-02 playoffs

Old
04-13-2009, 05:35 AM
wikiwa

vCash: 500
Bruins fans' overconfidence / Comparison with 2001-02 playoffs

I went on Bruins board, and even if I think they're favorites over the Habs to win this series, what i saw there showed me a lot of confidence... too much I think. I don't remember to have seen that from us last year...

It's like if they don't know that every series between those two teams are always very tight!

I think their 2001-02 team witch finished first in the East, can be compared to the team they have this year (Thornton, Guerin, Rolston, Murray, Knuble...) ... and in my opinion, even if we had tough times this season, I think we're WAY better that we were that year (Perreault, Petrov, Zednik, Gilmour...).

2001-02 W L T OTL PTS
Boston Bruins 43 24 6 9 101
Montreal Canadiens 36 31 12 3 87

2008-09 W L OTL PTS
Boston Bruins 53 19 10 116
Montreal Canadiens 41 30 11 93

Well maybe their team is better this year that it used to be in 01-02, but the gap betweet MTL and BOS teans is way smaller this year...

It's ok to think they'll win... but saying they could win this in three games... let's hope it reflects the Bruins player's state of mind...!

So we'll see, but IMO, there are way too much confidents and I hope the Habs will make them realize as soon as possible...!!! Go Habs!!

Last edited by wikiwa: 04-13-2009 at 05:54 AM.
wikiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:45 AM
ReVeuF

Especially if Habs win the first game in Boston, that will shut them up

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:38 AM
bib
#believe

They are far too overconfident. Their toughness as well as their "dominating size" is overblown. If they want to play rough, we'll match them every step of the way. How many of their forwards are 200 pounds or more? 3, that's all. only 3 of their 16 forwards are 200 pounds or more.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Habs4thewin

It's not going to be complicated. We'll know exactly what kind of series we'll have after the 1st game... If the Habs come out playing some solid hockey like they can do, we'll have a series. If they concentrated to play hockey and scores some goal, we'll have a series... If the Bruins come out pumped as hell and take the lead easily, we'll have a short playoff time. If they get into habs player's head, the series will be be short...

We need to play our best game of the year Thursday night to show everyone that we are serious. Every Bruins players will probably say things like " Habs are good, it's going to be long a series. They have alot of talent, we respect them, bla bla bla. But they think exactly what the Bruins fans are saying.. It's going to be quick, they don't have any chance...

Game 1 guys, game 1 will tell us alot about this series....

Go Habs Go !

Habs4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:07 AM
CHestah in Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiK_CH View Post
I went on Bruins board, and even if I think they're favorites over the Habs to win this series, what i saw there showed me a lot of confidence... too much I think. I don't remember to have seen that from us last year...

2001-02 W L T OTL PTS
Boston Bruins 43 24 6 9 101
Montreal Canadiens 36 31 12 3 87

2008-09 W L OTL PTS
Boston Bruins 53 19 10 116
Montreal Canadiens 41 30 11 93

Well maybe their team is better this year that it used to be in 01-02, but the gap betweet MTL and BOS teans is way smaller this year...

It's ok to think they'll win... but saying they could win this in three games... let's hope it reflects the Bruins player's state of mind...!

So we'll see, but IMO, there are way too much confidents and I hope the Habs will make them realize as soon as possible...!!! Go Habs!!
First off, who really cares about what Bruins' fans think about the series?? If I wanted to know, I'd go looking on the Bruins board! I'm so tired of seeing threads about the Bruins on this board.

Second, the gap between teams is quite larger this year than '01-'02: 23 points to 14.

CHestah in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Warriorsoftime55*

We beat them in the playoffs in 2003-2004 ,2007-2008 etc..I'm sure we can ROLL THEM again.

Warriorsoftime55* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:30 AM
gobruins14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiK_CH View Post
I seem to remember a ton of "Habs in 3" predictions from this board last year.

gobruins14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHestah in Maine View Post
First off, who really cares about what Bruins' fans think about the series?? If I wanted to know, I'd go looking on the Bruins board! I'm so tired of seeing threads about the Bruins on this board.

Second, the gap between teams is quite larger this year than '01-'02: 23 points to 14.
The 01-02 Bruins team was a better team on paper with bigger , better elite players.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

LMFAO...

Please explain how reading the B's board and the overconfidence of some Boston fans has anything at all to do with what the outcome of this series will be?

Last time I checked, the fans didn't lace them up and play...

Too funny.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
LMFAO...

Please explain how reading the B's board and the overconfidence of some Boston fans has anything at all to do with what the outcome of this series will be?

Last time I checked, the fans didn't lace them up and play...

Too funny.
I love all the B's fans posting on the habs boards and voting in our polls. Its only too bad we're not allowed to do the same over there.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
How many of their forwards are 200 pounds or more? 3, that's all. only 3 of their 16 forwards are 200 pounds or more.
I have to say with all the talk of Montreal being a small team up front, especially down the middle, Boston is just as small if not smaller (although this is based off the roster lists, so not sure how accurate it is, guess it comes down to which team inflated the sizes less).

The problem is several of our forwards shy away from the stuff. I wish A Kost would play the way he did at the beginning of the season before the hit. I still remember the play where he knocked the opposing played on his ass at their blue-line and went in and scored.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to confidence, Bruins have it, we don't. Although I do think a couple of our players are starting to get it back, it is Plekanec and A Kost that worry me the most though.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Newhabfan

You know guys - let's wait for the games. If you don't like the Bruins fans - don't act like them.

I see little point in posts like this. We all know that our chances are higher then what statistics say. But we could also lose in 4 like the Sens last year. So...lets just wait and rub it to them after we win the series.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobruins14 View Post
Isn't that what's gonna happen this year?

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
I love all the B's fans posting on the habs boards and voting in our polls. Its only too bad we're not allowed to do the same over there.
It happens on both sides...

I think its great as long as the people are civil and show respect, I mean if someone went on the Bee's board and started to go off on "Lucie" and "diving Mark Savard" and "injury faking Aaron Ward"...ya people are going to get pissed...

Mind you, I have seen times were a Hab fan was being respectful and just putting in 2 cents and was still told to get lost...and the same happens here

So, unless there is a filter to not allow posters to post on other boards other than there own (which would be STUPID) there is no way to stop it

Honestly, I appercaite seeing the different opinions, I try my best to be objective, but yes, sometimes its all in perspective and in order to get that, you need to talk to fans from other teams...or else, what will you debate? or get another view from?...if all someone wants is re-assurance they are right, why bother to post anyways?

I dunno, just my opinion...

Like me, not a Habs fan, my roommate is, so I watch a lot of Habs games and because I have no real emmotional attachment to the team I see the game differently than he would... and I get curious to see how others viewed incidents or games or players...

example, I think Tom Kostopolous is great, sure he has no skill, but I would take him on my team ANY day because he gives it night in and night out... and thats all you can ask for...imagine Kovalev had the heart or determination of Kostopolous?....

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

Who cares what Bruins' fans think? I know that I don't, and I'm sure that most Boston fans could care less what Hab fans think as well.

I could share that I find the Boston fans to be fair-weather fans and front runners, so to speak, because they had stopped supporting their team in recent years. The poor attendance figures of recent seasons support this. That is something that you cannot accuse the Hab fan base of doing, we've been blindly supporting unsuccessful teams for quite awhile.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Seriously. For all the times I complain about habs forum overmodding, the bruins forum is just a bunch of wimpy QQers who won't even allow you to post a comment in a thread without being given infractions. Responding to a thread in the bruins forum during the playoffs = infractions.

I always found that funny, how people complain all the time about habs fans and all when the bruins fans on this forum including mod fans are among the biggest crybabies and sore losers on the forum. Sorry guys but learn to accept a comment on your forum before you come on here handing them out like it's going out of style. At least our mods allow you to speak here, in your section you guys simply can't "handle" a little friendly conversation. I've been infracted over there for posting in a thread after a game, and I wasn't even rude just stated some facts about the game at hand and was double infracted.

Yet you guys come here all the time and make retarded posts and nothing ever happens lol. I love how the bruins fan base are just a pack of crybabies who can dish it out but never take it. Go back to your bruins forum where the mods practically sensor 90% of the content so that it doesn't hurt the feelings of your fanbase in anyway shape or form inclusive of facts being said.
From a psychological point of view the explanation is simple - insecurity. you are capable of hearing the other expressing a different opinion only when you feel secure about yourself. They have no reason to be secure so they have to claim it all over and then to remove any "security menace"

At another level though - realize that a lot of the Bruins posters are recent bandwagoners due to their excellent year. They were a lot fewer last year. What this means is that they know less about hockey for one and that they have a "flexible personality". Should we beat them in the series they will most likely abandon the boat and move to another sport probably.

There are probably many good, decent, experienced posters there (I know a few), but they are swarmed right now.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I have to say with all the talk of Montreal being a small team up front, especially down the middle, Boston is just as small if not smaller (although this is based off the roster lists, so not sure how accurate it is, guess it comes down to which team inflated the sizes less).

The problem is several of our forwards shy away from the stuff. I wish A Kost would play the way he did at the beginning of the season before the hit. I still remember the play where he knocked the opposing played on his ass at their blue-line and went in and scored.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to confidence, Bruins have it, we don't. Although I do think a couple of our players are starting to get it back, it is Plekanec and A Kost that worry me the most though.
I have to agree, with such a crappy Habs team...we sure take it to the "best team ever in the NHL", one build with the next "Cam Neely". Give me a break.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Seriously. For all the times I complain about habs forum overmodding, the bruins forum is just a bunch of wimpy QQers who won't even allow you to post a comment in a thread without being given infractions. Responding to a thread in the bruins forum during the playoffs = infractions.

I always found that funny, how people complain all the time about habs fans and all when the bruins fans on this forum including mod fans are among the biggest crybabies and sore losers on the forum. Sorry guys but learn to accept a comment on your forum before you come on here handing them out like it's going out of style. At least our mods allow you to speak here, in your section you guys simply can't "handle" a little friendly conversation. I've been infracted over there for posting in a thread after a game, and I wasn't even rude just stated some facts about the game at hand and was double infracted.

Yet you guys come here all the time and make retarded posts and nothing ever happens lol. I love how the bruins fan base are just a pack of crybabies who can dish it out but never take it. Go back to your bruins forum where the mods practically sensor 90% of the content so that it doesn't hurt the feelings of your fanbase in anyway shape or form inclusive of facts being said.
The part that really gets me is how over the top they are on their boards. Continuous bashes against the Habs as divers, paying off refs, no honour?, ethnic bashes, being soft, etc which is essentially trolling for hab fans to go in and try to defend against the ignorance. The difference between the two boards is night and day. We don't continually bash the B's or the city of Boston here (if so these posts aren't up for long because I have yet to see them).

It probably has something to do with the lopsided playoff history between these two teams (where many B's fans look to blame anyone but the play of their own team). I also think it has alot to do with the cultural difference between USA/Can posters as it seems other sport forums (which are US dominated) seem to have alot of this crap as well.

There are a lot of good B's posters but they seem ignore the garbage posted in their own forums and maybe if they policed it a little more they would have some more respect when they come in and post on our boards. Posting an innocent comment on the habs board when you just finished posting inflammatory garbage on your own board doesn't fool anyone. It goes both ways. I think it adds something to these boards when fans from different teams can post freely about hockey. Unfortunately, if I want to post something about the Bruins I have to do it in the Habs board which seems out of whack.

I guarantee that if the B's win this series the discussion will be 99% dissecting our team's play/future than whining about some bullsh!t reason the series was "stolen" from the habs. That is unless someone tries to carve out Koivu's eye again with no penalty. That one kind of got us going....

Sorry for the rant

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd877 View Post
Seriously? You actually think the Habs can match the Bruins toughness??? Have you watched any of the games this year? Did you not see Komi turtle? O'Byrne? Lapierre. Good luck going with that theory.

PS - 6 of the Bruins forwards are 200lbs plus. Besides weight doesnt matter, Komi is 240+ and is a fairy, O'byrne is around 230 and couldnt be more of a wus.
Yeah wish they could be as tough as Chara, throwing punches with his gloves on....or how about Lucie jumping someone from behind..yeah that will teach um!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Lone Rogue

If Montreal wins, its just another year beating the Bruins.
If Boston loses, its just another year losing to the Canadiens.

But if its the other way around, its everything.

Boston wins a rare series against the Habs. They break the "curse". They finally make the second round for the first time since 1994. Claude Julien gets revenge on his old team. Michael Ryder gets to show how Montreal made a mistake with him. The Bruins finally have the opportunity to show that in a city full of Celtics Championships, Patriots Championships and Red Sox Championships that they too could be Champions.

But if Montreal wins... its just another year beating the Bruins.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:30 AM
RealCity

They have yet to win a playoff series since the 90's.

Once we knock them out first round they will slip back into obscurity so fast it'll make their heads spin.

Go Habs.

RealCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Magic33

This is a hockey discussion forum. I dont get why we cant have a legitimate discussion with other posters from other teams (unless of course they are here to post non sense). It would make things a lot more interesting if we could have a normal discussion with the other side!

As for this thread, I think they have the right to be confident. They do have a good team and they pretty much owned the series against us. In the playoffs though anything can happen. I just cant wait to see good, intense hockey.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Originalsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobruins14 View Post
How does that even make any SENSE?!

Originalsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:44 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm not convinced who will win the series. I think I need more Bruins fans to come onto our board and sell me their diluted sense of reality so I can rest easy over the next couple days knowing we have no chance in hell. Just like every other Boston-Montreal play-off series I remember watching.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Habs killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
The 01-02 Bruins team was a better team on paper with bigger , better elite players.
stacked up front in 01/02, blue line was not very good at all. Defense alone, comparing the 01/02 season to this year is night and day, not even close.

Habs killer is offline   Reply With Quote