HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

BobbyMac sums it up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2009, 07:29 AM
  #1
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
BobbyMac sums it up

http://tsn.ca/

There is a video on the right side of the page called "First Round Forecast"
I think Bob MacKenzie sums up what we need to do to beat the Bruins in the first round.



Just thought you should know....

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:02 AM
  #2
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,440
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I didn't click it, but if he said "score more goals than them" then he is 100% right.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:05 AM
  #3
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
You can throw the form chart out the window when Boston and Montreal get together in the playoffs. Quite often the lower placed team beats the higher seeded team.

If the Montreal Canadiens are going to have a chance against the Boston Bruins then they've got to do, to some degree what they did in the final regular season matchup between the two teams.

The Habs can't try to match the Bruins punch-for-punch and hit-for-hit, the Canadiens strength is that they are a puck moving, skating hockey team. Their chances goals against Boston in that game came off the rush. They want to try and push the pace while upping the skill level. They can't worry about trying to match Zdeno Chara, Shawn Thornton and Milan Lucic physically, because they simply cannot match them physically. They must make the Bruins try to match their level of skill because that is the best chance that they have to win the series.



and that's the blog for the lazy bums

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:06 AM
  #4
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
http://tsn.ca/

There is a video on the right side of the page called "First Round Forecast"
I think Bob MacKenzie sums up what we need to do to beat the Bruins in the first round.



Just thought you should know....
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip160369#clip160369

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:06 AM
  #5
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I didn't click it, but if he said "score more goals than them" then he is 100% right.
this is more of a Benoit Brunet type prediction

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:13 AM
  #6
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,931
vCash: 500
The thing that people need to realize about the Bruins is that the Big Bad Bruins image of a big, physical team is seriously overdone. This isn't to say there isn't a kernel of truth to all the talk about Chara, Lucic, and Thornton. But of that group only Chara is a major contributor. Lucic has stats reminescent of Latendresse and Thornton is a glorified goon.

The players carrying the mail offensively are Savard, Kessel, and Krejci -- smaller, skilled guys. The Habs' scoring-type forwards are actually bigger than the Bruins'.

I'm not convinced that the Habs can't compete physically with the Bruins. I do think it's not to their advantage because I think their skill level is higher -- although it'd be a mistake to think the Bruins can't compete there, either.

There needs to be, however, the clear realization that the Bruins' offensive machine is built around small, nonphysical forwards and that trying to defend against them as if you were dealing with Cam Neely will be counter-productive. Don't get obsessed with Lucic -- his skill is overrated, and he's not as much of an offensive threat. The dangerous guys are the little guys.

The image is one thing... but in reality, the Bruins and Habs are a lot more alike than the average Boston fan would care to admit.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
  #7
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
well said mathman. So you're saying we should run over those 3 guys?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:32 AM
  #8
Krautso
Registered User
 
Krautso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The thing that people need to realize about the Bruins is that the Big Bad Bruins image of a big, physical team is seriously overdone. This isn't to say there isn't a kernel of truth to all the talk about Chara, Lucic, and Thornton. But of that group only Chara is a major contributor. Lucic has stats reminescent of Latendresse and Thornton is a glorified goon.

The players carrying the mail offensively are Savard, Kessel, and Krejci -- smaller, skilled guys. The Habs' scoring-type forwards are actually bigger than the Bruins'.

I'm not convinced that the Habs can't compete physically with the Bruins. I do think it's not to their advantage because I think their skill level is higher -- although it'd be a mistake to think the Bruins can't compete there, either.

There needs to be, however, the clear realization that the Bruins' offensive machine is built around small, nonphysical forwards and that trying to defend against them as if you were dealing with Cam Neely will be counter-productive. Don't get obsessed with Lucic -- his skill is overrated, and he's not as much of an offensive threat. The dangerous guys are the little guys.

The image is one thing... but in reality, the Bruins and Habs are a lot more alike than the average Boston fan would care to admit.
I totally agree with this. Kessel, Savard and Krejci are all under 6'0 and about 190 lbs with a total of a whopping 18 playoff games combined under their belt. The Habs didn't lean on them last year because they didn't feel they had to in order to win the series. They could all play through the physical stuff and perform (like Koivu) or they could become injured, tentative, ineffective as a result (like Plekanec). If the habs are successful at putting the body on them every chance they get, there's a good chance they'll be much less effective. Without those guys going their offense would be worse than last years...

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:25 AM
  #9
Giddens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Talent wise the Habs and Bruins are not that dissimilar... The Bruins finished with 23 more pts not because they have more talent. They had better coaching and certainly better chemistry and a higher degree of cohesiveness.


In terms of "pure" talent Kovalev, Tanguay, Markov, Price and A. Kots can certainly compete with Savard, Krejci, Chara, Thomas and Kessel. It remains to be seen whether Markov can play and whether Kovalev and Tanguay can continue to be 1.5 ppt per game players... and whether A Kots can finally leave the off-ice problems behind him (I think that the media fisco really affected him mentally).

Giddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:46 AM
  #10
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
The ruins were supposed to own us physically in the playoffs last year as well yet it was the complete opposite. Nothing to worry about there. The ruins know they can't be undisciplined like the last outing against us because that will just backfire when we score on the pp.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:54 AM
  #11
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,777
vCash: 500
IMO the key to this series is Thomas vs Price. IMO you can throw the rest out the window.

Thomas is equally capable of winning a game by himself as he is of losing it by himself. The fact that he has NEVER won a playoff series has to concern Bruins fans.

Price so far in his NHL career has not shown the capability to be consistently good, which Price will we see? The one that stoned Boston in game 7 last year or the one that took a vacation against Philly?

Whichever one of these 2 has the stronger series, thats the team that will win IMO.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:57 AM
  #12
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
The fact that he has NEVER won a playoff series has to concern Bruins fans.
Not really.

Do you think Steve Mason never winning a playoff series concerns the Blue Jackets?

The worry isn't Thomas' playoff record, but Thomas' confidence. If he gets eaten up early, it's going to take a long time for him to rebound.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
  #13
NHLcrazy
Registered User
 
NHLcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Qc city
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
So let me get this straight...

I agree like he said we should use our speed and skill instead of matching their goonery and physical play but this is not the regular season anymore, the refs won't call the hold, hooks, roughing like they did...they will let the bruins run wild and we'll get killed if we play only our skill and speed.

Now if they read the rule book and applied the the rules to the letter (ie dropping the glove = 5mins for anyone anytime) we'd have a good chance but we all know it won't happen.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:12 AM
  #14
Krautso
Registered User
 
Krautso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
So let me get this straight...

I agree like he said we should use our speed and skill instead of matching their goonery and physical play but this is not the regular season anymore, the refs won't call the hold, hooks, roughing like they did...they will let the bruins run wild and we'll get killed if we play only our skill and speed.

Now if they read the rule book and applied the the rules to the letter (ie dropping the glove = 5mins for anyone anytime) we'd have a good chance but we all know it won't happen.
Its not like they have Getzlaf or Iginla to worry about though. If the refs put their whistles away, how hard is it to lean on Savard and Kessel?

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
  #15
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,258
vCash: 500
We have the same team as last season, minus Streit (Great move Bob). If we had three more wins, the negativity would be all but gone.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
  #16
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,079
vCash: 50
We are underrated physically, a lot of our guys play physical. Boullion, hammer, komi, latendresse, kosto, lapierre, stewart, metro. we have the guys, we just don't play the fighting style. Within the notion of playing hockey and not a goon match, we're perfectly capable of maintaining the pace physically I think.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:55 AM
  #17
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
BobbyMac states the obvious in when saying we have to make the other team play to our game which is a skating and skill set, we do that and 9 out of 10 times we win because we play our style.

Hopefully the team plays this way, I think though if they do keep on Chara (Wideman as well) we can wear him down a bit like we did in previous series. Contain Krejci and Savard and you contain the scoring from Ryder, Recchi, Wheeler and Kessel as well.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:06 AM
  #18
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
It's easy. here's my tactic:

1. Tell OByrne to run over Lucic and make him drop the gloves. Then turtle. This gets Lucic out for 5 min and OB 5 min, good trade off.

2. Repeat 1.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:19 AM
  #19
mlandry
Registered User
 
mlandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
The ruins were supposed to own us physically in the playoffs last year as well yet it was the complete opposite. Nothing to worry about there. The ruins know they can't be undisciplined like the last outing against us because that will just backfire when we score on the pp.
Yep

But of course, the Habs are small and weak; everyone seemingly blocked this event from their memory.

Even vs Philly we weren't overmatched. That series could of gone both ways but shaky goaltending and better opportunism got them the wins.

We have nothing to fear concerning toughness.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
  #20
Joe Malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mabou....Wawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
I think we need Price to play solid, perhaps spectacular hockey. We also need scoring from our second line.

I believe Price is ready; the second line has to show up.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
  #21
Originalsix
Registered User
 
Originalsix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddens View Post
Talent wise the Habs and Bruins are not that dissimilar... The Bruins finished with 23 more pts not because they have more talent. They had better coaching and certainly better chemistry and a higher degree of cohesiveness.
Don't forget the Bruins did not suffer nearly the same number of injuries during the regular season as did the Habs.

Originalsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:54 PM
  #22
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
We're going to win.

Because it is written.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:24 PM
  #23
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I didn't click it, but if he said "score more goals than them" then he is 100% right.
Technically, that's not true.
They can beat us 8-0 the first game only to see us win the next 4, 2-1 / 1-0 / 3-1 / 2-0

They'd have 10GF and us 8GF.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:27 PM
  #24
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The thing that people need to realize about the Bruins is that the Big Bad Bruins image of a big, physical team is seriously overdone. This isn't to say there isn't a kernel of truth to all the talk about Chara, Lucic, and Thornton. But of that group only Chara is a major contributor. Lucic has stats reminescent of Latendresse and Thornton is a glorified goon.

The players carrying the mail offensively are Savard, Kessel, and Krejci -- smaller, skilled guys. The Habs' scoring-type forwards are actually bigger than the Bruins'.

I'm not convinced that the Habs can't compete physically with the Bruins. I do think it's not to their advantage because I think their skill level is higher -- although it'd be a mistake to think the Bruins can't compete there, either.

There needs to be, however, the clear realization that the Bruins' offensive machine is built around small, nonphysical forwards and that trying to defend against them as if you were dealing with Cam Neely will be counter-productive. Don't get obsessed with Lucic -- his skill is overrated, and he's not as much of an offensive threat. The dangerous guys are the little guys.

The image is one thing... but in reality, the Bruins and Habs are a lot more alike than the average Boston fan would care to admit.
I do agree, but I'm sure you also know that 3rd/4th liners play a huge role in the POs. The hard hitting players from Boston are usually on those lines.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
  #25
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I do agree, but I'm sure you also know that 3rd/4th liners play a huge role in the POs. The hard hitting players from Boston are usually on those lines.
So are ours. The two teams are built remarkably similarly, especially up front.

Only difference is that Lucic is the next Cam Neely and Latendresse is a borderline bust despite getting roughly the same results.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.