HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PRICE wins the 2008-2009 Molson Trophy!

Old
04-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Souvenirs

vCash: 500
Price wins Molson Cup

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL -- Goaltender Carey Price is the Molson Cup Player of the Year for the 2008-09 season. He succeeds forward Alex Kovalev who earned the honor last season.

Born in British Columbia Price ended the season with 53 points in the Molson Cup standings following a first-star selection in the last regular season game on Saturday against Pittsburgh. Price who had seven (7) first-star selections, five (5) second-star selections and three (3) third star selections finished the season on top of the standings ahead of teammates Alex Kovalev (44 points) and Andrei Markov (37 points). Price, the Canadiens’ Player-of-the-Month in November, ranked second for the March-April segment with a monthly harvest of 21 points, one less than segment winner Alex Kovalev (22 points).

Price played in 52 regular season games in 2008-09. He posted a record of 23 wins, 16 losses and 10 overtime/shootout losses with a 2.82 goals-against-average and a .905% save percentage. The starting goaltender for the Eastern Conference at the NHL All-Star Game presented in Montreal on January 25, Price stopped two of the three penalty shots he faced this season. He also recorded 22 saves on 35 shots in the shootout, the 5th highest number amongst NHL goaltenders in 2008-2009.

from canadiens.com

What do you think? Price had an inconsistent season, but still managed to be the team's most valuable player at times. He was bashed and demolished by many but still earned it.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Shnitzel

PRICE wins the 2008-2009 Molson Trophy!

CONGRATS CAREY!

Shnitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:34 AM
albertabound

How in the heck does he manage to win this- he has suck the last most important part of the season - after our first rd with Bruins they are going to be asking him for this trophy back Kost or Lappy would of been better candiates

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Captain Saku

I know that the Molson trophy is based on the 3 stars system but that's a horrible choice.

How is Price the winner of the Molson trophy over Markov is beyond my understanding.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Shnitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
I know that the Molson trophy is based on the 3 stars system but that's a horrible choice.

How is Price the winner of the Molson trophy over Markov is beyonf my understanding.

Yeah, that's what I also thought... I Guess Markov is not enough in the shadow to receive the Jacques Beauchamps trophy, but too much to get the Molson one!

Shnitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:38 AM
LeHab

Markov > *

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:38 AM
BoNeS42

He won by the rules. Get over it. It's also a big confidence boost for Carey! Show the organization there Molson ranking doesnt suck ass!

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:42 AM
TheCH*

Just futher's the proof of the organization's favoritism towards their golden boy, he really didn't have a good year at all. Even the biggest Price fanboy would tell you Markov got robbed here!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

You've got to be kidding me...

It had "Markov" written all over it. If not then there would have been many more players more deserving than Carey. He's had a bad season by his standards and he'd be the first to admit it I'm sure. Don't get me wrong, I think it was just an off-year and that he will rebound (hopefully in the playoffs) but he was putrid for an extended stretch, if he played like an NHL goalie in February we could have clinched much earlier. But of course the Molson trophy does not reward consistancy... Get a first star here and there and you win. Markov would get a point or two nearly every game but he was rarely selected star of a game.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
He won by the rules. Get over it. It's also a big confidence boost for Carey! Show the organization there Molson ranking doesnt suck ass!
I don't know if any of them care THAT much that they won a cup like that.. Thats just my opinion. Im sure he is happy, but I dont think its going to make him do the "Tom Cruise" on his coach or something..

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Just futher's the proof of the organization's favoritism towards their golden boy, he really didn't have a good year at all. Even the biggest Price fanboy would tell you Markov got robbed here!
it's not the organization who decides. This is based on the 3 stars of the game, who are chosen by the media.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:49 AM
RE-HABS

He wins an award and is playing better hockey but yet there are still many here questioning why and trashing him.

Please people lets move onto the Playoffs and put the Regular Season behind us.

Thanks.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:55 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
I too agree that Carey should not have won the award.

However, despite having an inconsistent second half, people seem to forget that Carey had a pretty good first half (stats-wise). I think he was top-8 in pretty much all goaltending categories.

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

It could be worse... could have been Kovalev!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:09 AM
davenash

I can't believe that EVERY YEAR there still people *****ing about the Molson Cup winner. It's just the total of stars, they just don't award it to whoever they want.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Pedro McGuire*

WTF!?!? seriously?? this is not a joke?? this kid is born silver spoon in hand... and it continues... he has done NOTHING to earn him this. Im sure Ill be hated on by all the Price boot lickers now but seriously, do they give out the trophy judging on their last shift of the season or something?

I just read the above thread and im left with even more questions than answers... ok so it wasnt given to him judging on his entire season but instead on seperate games of his?? he has let in at least 1 bad goal every game he has played with the exception of maybe 2 of 3 games... he is so not (Any kind of trophy) worthy.

PROVE ME WRONG CAREY!!

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
WTF!?!? seriously?? this is not a joke?? this kid is born silver spoon in hand... and it continues... he has done NOTHING to earn him this. Im sure Ill be hated on by all the Price boot lickers now but seriously, do they give out the trophy judging on their last shift of the season or something?
So I guess you want them to retroactively adjust all the 3-star selections during the season?

It would pretty much defeat the point of the trophy.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:56 AM
timbitca

Oh brother...

Only way he won this trophy is by getting the most 3-star nominations points over the 82-game schedule. Educate yourself before getting your panties in a bunch people.

Good job Price.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:02 PM
ReVeuF

Price as winner is not right, i saw most of the games except 2-3 maybe and Markov deserve it way more.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post

How is Price the winner of the Molson trophy over Markov is beyond my understanding.
So - you know and understand how the selection process works. You know Price wins under those rules.

Yet here you all are whining. I'm baffled. Should we do away with this 'prize' altogether? What would make you confused folks happy?

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
This will probably boost Price's confidence.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:32 PM
SakuKovalev

LOL The complaining is hilarious. What next, complaining about Malkin winning the Art Ross? UNDESERVED

SakuKovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
It could be worse... could have been Kovalev!
Dont you mean should've been.. He was second in voting

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
dd

Since 1998-99, goalies have won the award 8 times!
Only Koivu and Kovalev won as position players in the last 10 years.
They should probably call the award the Vezina Montreal award!

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
He has some strong performances at the start of the season so was able to get a lot of points and so many players were injured that they were not able to get enough games to catch up. I am surprise Markov did not win but I guess that goes with his being the leader and most important part of this team in near obscurity.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote