HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bruins fans' overconfidence / Comparison with 2001-02 playoffs

Old
04-13-2009, 10:01 AM
bib
#believe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd877 View Post
Seriously? You actually think the Habs can match the Bruins toughness??? Have you watched any of the games this year? Did you not see Komi turtle? O'Byrne? Lapierre. Good luck going with that theory.

PS - 6 of the Bruins forwards are 200lbs plus. Besides weight doesnt matter, Komi is 240+ and is a fairy, O'byrne is around 230 and couldnt be more of a wus.
The habs can, have, and will match the Bruins toughness. Besides Lucic and Chara, you guys are an average team physically, it really is all an illusion. And last game against the Ruins was one of Komi's best. He was dominant physically, dished out great hits, and was able to get under the skin of many Ruins. And he didn't turtle. Idiot Chara came in and started throwing punches for no reason. I'd like to see him do that with Laraque on the ice, but as we've seen before, Chara will end up hugging Laraque to the ice. Chara's a great fighter only when he fights non-fighters.

And I correct myself, only 4 of the Ruins forwards 200 or over

http://bruins.nhl.com/team/app?servi...rs&type=roster

You guys have outhit us in only one game this year, and only by a margin of 5 hits. We've outhit you guys in every other game, with the largest margin being 26 hits. And during the season series we've outhit your team 205 to 141. So bring on the physical play.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:04 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobruins14 View Post
I seem to remember a ton of "Habs in 3" predictions from this board last year.
I also seem to remember many posters saying that it would be no cakewalk despite taking the season series 8-0, finishing first in the east, and owning your team for decades.

The playoffs are a whole different game. Your board needs to learn that.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Capitano

This is by FAR the worst possible matchup for the Bruins, just like last year was bad for us. The two teams obviously have some history and this is not just a 1 vs 8 series.

We will win this series.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
the cambridge VS Windsor hate...lol... i love it
I had friends who were from Cambridge. Shoes were "kicks" and bummer was "dagger". For example:

Regular Human Being: "Bummer, my shoes got dirty."
Cambridge Resident: "Guy, look at my kicks! Not white anymore! Dagger."

It wasn't just them. If I heard the word "dagger" around the U campus, I knew it was someone from Cambridge whining.

They were good guys though, until they pretty much got addicted to smoking weed

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissHiggins View Post

You see how he got back up after completely failing at the art of a body check? Heart of a Champion.

Old
04-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Frankenheimer

I personally like the fact the Bruins and Bruin fans are feeling so confident about their team and want to face us. I just fear for their mental health once they get eliminated after finishing a number 1 seed again. I can't even imagine the level of frustration they'll feel at being eliminated by the habs. I wouldn't want to be a Bruins fan next week.

On the other hand, we have Carey Price to worry about.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissHiggins View Post
Oh sweet jesus. That guy's stupidity is going to win us the playoffs.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Row*

I'm sure that's the only time lucic has made a stupid play...or left his feet when trying to make a check...or looked like a complete moron

If they have any mic'd up sessions, they should slap one on lucic, you just know all he ever says during a game is "braaaaaaains braaaaaaaains"

Row* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Turboflex*

Don't be intimidated by the Bruins statistics (the GF/GA difference), even their record with 116 pts or whatever.

The Bruins padded their stats bigtime in games against SE div teams back in December & January. They were beating them every night 5-1, 6-1, which is fine cuz that's what good teams are supposed to do against bottom dwellers (as opposed to the habs who no-show and probably have a losing record against bad teams). A big part of their impressive individual stats (esp. young guys like Kessel & Krecje) were racked up then. In the last month or two these guys are almost as unproductive as Pleks/Andrei.

Right NOW, the Bruins scorers have come down to earth, Thomas is still good, but the habs are one of the better teams at getting to him. Meanwhile, the habs PP is on fire with Schneider, their season average is now 19%, but thats the sum of 14-15% before Schneider, and about 25-30% after. The Habs big line, 3rd and 4th line are playing great hockey. The key will be Price, but he seems to have recovered his game and watch out Bruins if he plays like he did Saturday, that is stonewall goaltending that wins playoff series.

The stats are lies, these teams are a lot more equal than any stats indicate, they are exaggerrated by regular season discrepencies that are now ancient history.

Price is playing well now, the habs are getting lots of PP goals and have 3 solid 5 on 5 lines. Markov coming back is hugely important but it does look like he's a go. If Plekanecs and Andrei can show up and score it would help (it's not like they can get any worse).

The Bruins meanwhile are playing mediocre hockey all around lately, especially against better teams and have to lean very heavily on goaltending to win anything.

Both teams will elevate their games for the playoff series, but I'm just saying victory is up for grabs here, there are no real statistical or talent advantages. I'm gonna be the homer and say that Koivu/Kovalev will once again put on a heroic playoff performance and sink the Bs (Koivu did it against Joe Thorton, and he'll do it to Savard).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
The part that really gets me is how over the top they are on their boards. Continuous bashes against the Habs as divers, paying off refs, no honour?, ethnic bashes, being soft, etc which is essentially trolling for hab fans to go in and try to defend against the ignorance. The difference between the two boards is night and day. We don't continually bash the B's or the city of Boston here (if so these posts aren't up for long because I have yet to see them).

It probably has something to do with the lopsided playoff history between these two teams (where many B's fans look to blame anyone but the play of their own team). I also think it has alot to do with the cultural difference between USA/Can posters as it seems other sport forums (which are US dominated) seem to have alot of this crap as well.

There are a lot of good B's posters but they seem ignore the garbage posted in their own forums and maybe if they policed it a little more they would have some more respect when they come in and post on our boards. Posting an innocent comment on the habs board when you just finished posting inflammatory garbage on your own board doesn't fool anyone. It goes both ways. I think it adds something to these boards when fans from different teams can post freely about hockey. Unfortunately, if I want to post something about the Bruins I have to do it in the Habs board which seems out of whack.

I guarantee that if the B's win this series the discussion will be 99% dissecting our team's play/future than whining about some bullsh!t reason the series was "stolen" from the habs. That is unless someone tries to carve out Koivu's eye again with no penalty. That one kind of got us going....

Sorry for the rant
I totally agree with you. I'm not even bothering reading their board, even if 50% of their threads involve the Habs. And yes, there seem to be a different moderation for this board and the Bruins board.

But on the other hand, Moderators are people like you and me who try to moderate those forums on their free time. So just like any poster, some are impartials, some are biased, some are quick to judge and others are more careful. I guess it really depend of the personnality of each one.

I'm not expecting the same impartiality that I can expect from a judge, a cop or any law enforcers. This is a internet forum after all and like I previously said, those guys are moderating on their free time. I really think that most of the mods are trying to do their best with the knowledge they have.

Last edited by Gee Wally: 04-13-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: don't discuss banned memebers
Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Either team can win. The Habs must play solid hockey to win... Tis all.

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
This is a hockey discussion forum. I dont get why we cant have a legitimate discussion with other posters from other teams (unless of course they are here to post non sense). It would make things a lot more interesting if we could have a normal discussion with the other side!

As for this thread, I think they have the right to be confident. They do have a good team and they pretty much owned the series against us. In the playoffs though anything can happen. I just cant wait to see good, intense hockey.
Best post I've read here. Sure, we are confident this year, much like Habs fans were very confident last year. I also know the fan cockiness has no impact on the team whatsoever... I'm not lacing up my skates for this series. This is the best Bruins team I've seen in my life, and I really think they can go far. However, I know that the Habs are going to be a very hungry team. They battled hard this season through some pretty ridiculous stuff (Carbo being fired, the gangster Kostitsyn's, etc.) and I'm sure they'd love to crush the Bruins in the playoffs. This is gonna be an all out war of a series, and I'm very excited to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Don't be intimidated by the Bruins statistics (the GF/GA difference), even their record with 116 pts or whatever.

The Bruins padded their stats bigtime in games against SE div teams back in December & January. They were beating them every night 5-1, 6-1, which is fine cuz that's what good teams are supposed to do against bottom dwellers (as opposed to the habs who no-show and probably have a losing record against bad teams). A big part of their impressive individual stats (esp. young guys like Kessel & Krecje) were racked up then. In the last month or two these guys are almost as unproductive as Pleks/Andrei.

Right NOW, the Bruins scorers have come down to earth, Thomas is still good, but the habs are one of the better teams at getting to him. Meanwhile, the habs PP is on fire with Schneider, their season average is now 19%, but thats the sum of 14-15% before Schneider, and about 25-30% after. The Habs big line, 3rd and 4th line are playing great hockey. The key will be Price, but he seems to have recovered his game and watch out Bruins if he plays like he did Saturday, that is stonewall goaltending that wins playoff series.

The stats are lies, these teams are a lot more equal than any stats indicate, they are exaggerrated by regular season discrepencies that are now ancient history.

Price is playing well now, the habs are getting lots of PP goals and have 3 solid 5 on 5 lines. Markov coming back is hugely important but it does look like he's a go. If Plekanecs and Andrei can show up and score it would help (it's not like they can get any worse).

The Bruins meanwhile are playing mediocre hockey all around lately, especially against better teams and have to lean very heavily on goaltending to win anything.

Both teams will elevate their games for the playoff series, but I'm just saying victory is up for grabs here, there are no real statistical or talent advantages. I'm gonna be the homer and say that Koivu/Kovalev will once again put on a heroic playoff performance and sink the Bs (Koivu did it against Joe Thorton, and he'll do it to Savard).
I would agree with the mediocre hockey comment back in February-March, but the B's have turned it back around.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-13-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Bruins4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:20 AM
CarrePrisme

This idea that you can't post on a public INTERNET board because you're a fan of another team is really really really sad...in a WoW addict kind of way.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
why do you even need to post in the bruins forum anyways, when half of the threads here are about Boston?

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
This idea that you can't post on a public INTERNET board because you're a fan of another team is really really really sad...in a WoW addict kind of way.
Actually, it might even look sad to most of the people I know that play WoW. It's downright pathetic and childish 'OMG a fan from another team! Go home!' Last I checked I signed up here for HFBoards, not the Montreal Canadiens subforum, even though they are my favorite NHL team, most of my posts have probably come outside of this forum.

But anyway... back on topic. If the B's want to play the physical game like they did on Thursday, let them do so, we only have to hope the referee's in the playoffs will be a tiny less stupid and our PP should be able to come out on top, like it very nearly did on Thursday. Sure it may look lame to turtle in a 'fight' but if it makes you win the game.... who's the winner at the end? The guy who won the fight or the one whose team won and still has a chance for the Cup?

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
This is a hockey discussion forum. I dont get why we cant have a legitimate discussion with other posters from other teams (unless of course they are here to post non sense). It would make things a lot more interesting if we could have a normal discussion with the other side!

As for this thread, I think they have the right to be confident. They do have a good team and they pretty much owned the series against us. In the playoffs though anything can happen. I just cant wait to see good, intense hockey.
Bruins fan here, and I agree with the bolded quote. I read the Habs board a lot because there are a lot of interesting discussions about hockey. And of course I want to know what Habs fans think because that makes the whole thing more fun.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
sheed36

There should be a rule here @ HF when the Habs/Bruins meet that fans from each team are not permitted to post on the others board because it never ends well...

As far as this thread is concerned the Bruins fans have a right to be confident..The had the best team in the East this year and won the season series quite handily with the Habs so some of their fans think it should be an easy win this year in round 1....

All I know is if Markov is not able to play this will be a quick series and for the Habs to have any chance at all they will need Markov in the line up and for Price to play solid...Without Markov = Sweep or 5 games max...With Markov this could go to 6 - 7 games..

Even as an Habs fan I still think the Bruins will win in 5-6 games this year..I hope I am wrong but with the way the Habs played the 2nd half of this season it doesn't fill me with confidence that this Habs team can win a series against the best team in the East this year...

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Savynquick*

This is the best team we've ever put on the ice in the 21+ years I've been a Bruins fan. Top to bottom we've never had a more complete team. So there's a reason we're all so confident and excited.

If you couple that with no Lang, maybe Markov not playing, and Schneider playing while he may eventually need surgery, you can understand why we'd like this matchup more then say a Carolina or NYR. Although I think we'd have beaten the Rangers too. But they're a lil healthier too my knowledge.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Actually, it might even look sad to most of the people I know that play WoW. It's downright pathetic and childish 'OMG a fan from another team! Go home!' Last I checked I signed up here for HFBoards, not the Montreal Canadiens subforum, even though they are my favorite NHL team, most of my posts have probably come outside of this forum.
If the Habs lose to the Bruins, I actually hope the Bruins make it far. I kinda like the Bruins. Does that admitting that give me the right to at least read the Bruins board?

Seriously, I suspect that the people who care about that are either below 10 years old or people over 50 who think the internet is real life.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:31 PM
JrHockeyFan

When you visit ANY team's board the fans tend to be more confident than they should be. Why? Because mostly they are relying on their wishes instead of the facts.

I'm not going to use a home board to gauge the strength of an opponent. How does it make any sense? And again that is any board

Any serious fan knows who the favourites are and know what they expect to happen. Is that the way it always turns out? Not that I have seen.

So if fans are over-confident who cares and what difference does it make in the outcome? If things don't go as expected the crash hurts a bit more. That's about it.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
LMFAO...

Please explain how reading the B's board and the overconfidence of some Boston fans has anything at all to do with what the outcome of this series will be?

Last time I checked, the fans didn't lace them up and play...

Too funny.
<------------------------- Bruins' board

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:59 PM
wikiwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
LMFAO...

Please explain how reading the B's board and the overconfidence of some Boston fans has anything at all to do with what the outcome of this series will be?

Last time I checked, the fans didn't lace them up and play...

Too funny.
I'm just wondering if it would be possible that what I see on Bruin's board, reflects an overconfidence climat in Boston... and such a thing would be good for us, because you don't win with this kind of attitude...

wikiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Skelator 786*

I am cheering for the Habs even though I don't like them. Bruins fans are by far and away the worst after those bandwagon Pittsburgh fans.

Skelator 786* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator 786 View Post
I am cheering for the Habs even though I don't like them. Bruins fans are by far and away the worst after those bandwagon Pittsburgh fans.
*hugs*

I always loved Burnaby, almost as much as Prince George.

Old
04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
If Montreal wins, its just another year beating the Bruins.
If Boston loses, its just another year losing to the Canadiens.

But if its the other way around, its everything.

Boston wins a rare series against the Habs. They break the "curse". They finally make the second round for the first time since 1994. Claude Julien gets revenge on his old team. Michael Ryder gets to show how Montreal made a mistake with him. The Bruins finally have the opportunity to show that in a city full of Celtics Championships, Patriots Championships and Red Sox Championships that they too could be Champions.

But if Montreal wins... its just another year beating the Bruins.
Good post except Boston got to the 2nd round in 1999 after beating Carolina in the 3-6 matchup. That's still 3 fewer series wins than us since 1994.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote