HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque/Stewart role in this series

Old
04-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Talent Analyst

vCash: 500
Laraque/Stewart role in this series

Hi guys, we all know this series will be tough and intense. Bruins have Lucic, Thornton and Chara who disturb our best players.

We also know that no one want to fight Laraque. He must find a way to be useful in this series. IMO, the only was he can help us is to play like a pest. He can hit really hard and he surely can respond to any Bruins. Disturb Chara and send him to the penalty box for 5 minutes with him, it clearly help us. Or hit hard Savard in the first game many times and he would be scare to play along the board.

For Stewart, his speed and intensity can also be benefic in this way.

We shouldn't be victims anymore, we need to be agressor.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:36 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Hi guys, we all know this series will be tough and intense. Bruins have Lucic, Thornton and Chara who disturb our best players.

We also know that no one want to fight Laraque. He must find a way to be useful in this series. IMO, the only was he can help us is to play like a pest. He can hit really hard and he surely can respond to any Bruins. Disturb Chara and send him to the penalty box for 5 minutes with him, it clearly help us. Or hit hard Savard in the first game many times and he would be scare to play along the board.

I think Gainey is going to try game #1 without Laraque and see how Julien plays his cards and then come back with Laraque if we need him.

Personally, I would love to see Stewart do to Lucic what he did to Ott in Dallas and just get a 2:00, 5:00 and a 10:00 in game #1 or game #2 in Boston.

Aside from that, Komisarek has to be the Komisarek we know and hit anything and everything in our zone and Price has to use his stick to slash a few legs in front of him.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM
albertabound

Send Stewart back to Hamilton and keep BGL in the line we don't need 2 same style players in a playoff round bring pacs up these 2 have no talent except for policing a game we only need 1 we need talent.

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:42 AM
NHLcrazy

If Stewart and Laraque can take Lucic and Chara out for about 10-15 mins each game it's good for us...The Bruins can only lose if these 2 want to play the goons all the time.

Plus Laraque has been playing really well lately and Stewart did his job perfectly all year...they should be dressed every game IMO

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Laraque has shown that he can be more than just an enforcer out there, more than a security guard for the rest of the team as he's contributed quite well down low in the offensive zone. He MUST be in the line-up every game in this series. Gainey went and got him for that reason after the Boston and Philly series last year.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
MathMan

I'm a little confused by the importance that is being put on Laraque. I was listening to CKAC last afternoon and was amazed that Laraque in Boston was all they would talk about. Mind you, it was Dave Morisette talking -- maybe if the media didn't have this fixation about ex-goons as analysts, goons wouldn't get such a disproportionate amount of attention.

I'd be a lot more concerned about the absence of Markov and how the blueline minutes are going to be spread out as a result, but that's just me.

I'm willing to accept that enforcers might not be quite as useless as I generally envision them to be -- especially in the playoffs when they tend to be squarely stuck to the press box and fighting is rare, betraying coaches' real feelings about fighting in games that really matter. (It's telling about the NHL and its officiating that it's about the only sport where teams feel compelled to carry a player for the specific purpose of trying to make up for officiating deficiencies.)

But in any case, if the series hinges on a guy with zero goals and who ultimately is lucky to play 8 minutes a night, either the team or the sport is in deep, deep trouble.

I think both players can have a role, but the series will be won by the skill guys and goaltending, as most series are. The grinders will be evaluated on their ability to disturb and disrupt the opposing skill guys. The series hopefully won't be won or lost on whether Laraque dresses and what he does if and when he is.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:48 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post

No one ?? both chara and thornton challenged him the game he was chasing lucic around the ice making a fool of himself..I personally hope he plays every single game..everyone knows there really arent any fights in the playoffs and because of this laraque will be useless.. he's too slow to check anyone.. I'd love to see him line up Looch cause he will be the one winding up on his butt..

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Woland

of course you dress him !

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

To dress Laraque or to not dress Laraque for the Boston series?

That is the question.

No doubt this is almost specifically why he was brought in. Bob McKenzie believes we have to out skill and out speed the Bruins to win this series.

I on the other hand, believe if we are going to win this series it will be in 6 or 7 games. And if we expect to last that long, we can't be getting bullied every night like we were on Thursday...

With Metropolis and Higgins on the "4th" line, I like the idea of dressing Laraque. Why? Because this would give us a great spot on a line to double shift Kovalev every other shift here, as Higgins and Metro have as much skill as any two "4th" liners in the league, and we can use this to our advantage.

Dress Laraque as a body guard, but be double shifting Kovy in his spot every other shift. That's what I'd do, and I hope what the plan is...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Laraque has shown that he can be more than just an enforcer out there, more than a security guard for the rest of the team as he's contributed quite well down low in the offensive zone.
I come in complete peace to have a fairly even handed discussion on this, because personally I think Claude pulled a master move if he can trick Gainey into dressing Laraque.

You mention that Laraque has contributed quite well down low. He's got 0g, 2pts, and is a -6. I know he's been a bit snake bitten, but imho if we can get you to dress this guy in all the games, it's not going to be a good series for you.

Boston rolls the deepest set of scorers in the nhl with more 20g men then anyone. The last thing you want to do is react to Lucic with goons. You need to out-depth us. You dress Laraque and it'll be just the opposite.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
I come in complete peace to have a fairly even handed discussion on this, because personally I think Claude pulled a master move if he can trick Gainey into dressing Laraque.

You mention that Laraque has contributed quite well down low. He's got 0g, 2pts, and is a -6. I know he's been a bit snake bitten, but imho if we can get you to dress this guy in all the games, it's not going to be a good series for you.

Boston rolls the deepest set of scorers in the nhl with more 20g men then anyone. The last thing you want to do is react to Lucic with goons. You need to out-depth us. You dress Laraque and it'll be just the opposite.
If Laraque is dressed, we will be double shifting Kovalev in his spot every other shift, which is not a bad thing, especially when those 2 other "4th" liners are the skilled Higgins and Metropolis.

Old
04-13-2009, 01:00 PM
TheCH*

Quote:

Laraque's job is the same as Thorntons.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:05 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:

Also, Laraque won't take the spot of another useful player. We
do have some players who are having a hard time when things get physical.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
You'd be surprised though. for example:

Yelle has 7 goals, 11 assists, 18pts, +6
Thornton has 6 goals, 5a, -2

Getting 13g's from those 2 on the 4th line, and better then 50% in the faceoff circle is really not that much of a pure checking roll.

Old
04-13-2009, 01:11 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
thornton is the better player however: Laraque cant do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ma8Z7d6tc4

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:15 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
thornton is the better player however: Laraque cant do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ma8Z7d6tc4
Not saying thornton isn't the better hockey player, but has he ever done this:

Old
04-13-2009, 01:15 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

Getting 13g's from those 2 on the 4th line, and better then 50% in the faceoff circle is really not that much of a pure checking roll.
Well we had a combined 40 points from Metropolit and Higgins, and Higgins missed like a month of the season. And with Kovy double shifting there, that will be a line that can score...

Old
04-13-2009, 01:17 PM
bipolarhabfan

IMHO, Laraque is practically useless in the playoffs. I say sit him out game #1 and see what happens. He won't intimidate anyone by arriving 5 second late to a hit because of a lack of foot speed, and there is virtually no fighting in the playoffs right now. So what would he be good for? playing 3 minutes and ruining the possibility of rolling four lines which would keep players fresh?

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Benzaza

stewart's fighting abilities are a bit overrated from what I hear people say...he is brave and strong but is not match to a lucic or thornton...

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
evilstanley

Big G must get angry

thats the bottom line. no more Mr Nice Guy.

i want to see ANGRY GEORGES.

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Well we had a combined 40 points from Metropolit and Higgins, and Higgins missed like a month of the season. And with Kovy double shifting there, that will be a line that can score...
To be fair Metro didn't do most of that in your jersey. He got you a goal and was -3. But I agree he's a nice 4th line player, he played well for us last year in the playoffs.

I had no idea Higgins had fallen all the way to your 4th line!

Old
04-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Pascal

Pens got to the finals with Laraque in. I believe the Oilers did too.

So whatever argument people have against him being in the lineup is pretty much moot IMO. He knows what he has to do.

Interesting to note that with the Pens he only had 4PIM in 15 games.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Benzaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Pens got to the finals with Laraque in. I believe the Oilers did too.

So whatever argument people have against him being in the lineup is pretty much moot IMO. He knows what he has to do.

Interesting to note that with the Pens he only had 4PIM in 15 games.
Laraque was at Phoenix in 2006 but still a valid point with pittsburgh..

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:08 PM
TheCH*

Quote:

Laraque is quite capable of those numbers. Just because Thornton had a better regular season doesn't mean anything, just like the ruins having the better regular season doesn't mean they'll have the better playoffs. And yes, Thornton is a pure checking roll player, 11 points is nothing out of the ordinary for a 4th liner by any stretch of the imagination.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaza View Post
Laraque was at Phoenix in 2006 but still a valid point with pittsburgh..
he played for Edmonton in the year they made the finals.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote