HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik - Do you think Gainey goes after him this offseason?

Old
04-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 500
Players can heal. Before his cancer year Koivu averaged 57 games per season (and if you ignore his 82 game rookie season it's closer to 52).

Upon returning he's averaged 74.

If this team wants an offensive superstar without tanking a season or finding a diamond in the rough a la Detroit, they'll have to gamble at some point. I'm not saying I would try to sign Gaborik but I wouldn't outright dismiss it.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Players can heal. Before his cancer year Koivu averaged 57 games per season (and if you ignore his 82 game rookie season it's closer to 52).

If this team wants an offensive superstar without tanking a season or finding a diamond in the rough a la Detroit, they'll have to gamble at some point. I'm not saying I would try to sign Gaborik but I wouldn't outright dismiss it.
If you're going to gamble, do it on a Canadian player with skills and grit!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Gaborik isn't exactly a cream puff. He's no Bertuzzi, but he isn't afraid to go to dirty areas to get goals. 17 pts in 18 games in the Wild's 2003 playoff run, in the clutch-and-grab era and in a stifling Minnesota defensive system.

And other than Ovechkin or Kovalchuk, nobody can match his speed and goal-scoring ability, which would both compliment this team and add a dimension we don't have. Adding Gaborik wouldn't give us more of the same because frankly nobody on our team is in the same league as him offensively.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:30 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
No reason to say Canadian player.. there are tons of Americans and Europeans who play that style of game, it doesn't matter who we get, so long as they play that style.

However, for the price he's going to get, Gaborik is too much of a risk. I'm not willing to sign a guy for $7M for the *potential* that his injury trouble is behind him. Less than $4M, sure.. but he's not going to sign for that.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
No reason to say Canadian player.. there are tons of Americans and Europeans who play that style of game, it doesn't matter who we get, so long as they play that style.
Crosby is Canadian

Ovechkin is Russian

Who is Grittier?

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:36 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

However, for the price he's going to get, Gaborik is too much of a risk. I'm not willing to sign a guy for $7M for the *potential* that his injury trouble is behind him. Less than $4M, sure.. but he's not going to sign for that.
Exactly. Might be a good gamble to take, but not at the contract he'll be looking at getting.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
JAVO16

Quote:

Quote:
Gaborik isn't exactly a cream puff. He's no Bertuzzi, but he isn't afraid to go to dirty areas to get goals. 17 pts in 18 games in the Wild's 2003 playoff run, in the clutch-and-grab era and in a stifling Minnesota defensive system.

And other than Ovechkin or Kovalchuk, nobody can match his speed and goal-scoring ability, which would both compliment this team and add a dimension we don't have. Adding Gaborik wouldn't give us more of the same because frankly nobody on our team is in the same league as him offensively.
Agreed, we've been in need of a superstar for a long time and the closest we've had to that is Kovy last year. People have forgotten the impact of a superstar.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:51 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I did not read the thread but here is a question for you...If you had a choice between Gaborik or Lemaire as coach which do you go for? Not saying either will happen but just something I was thinking of. I believe that they are far from friendly so I doubt that it would be possible to get both.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:56 PM
TheGoalJudge

I want him. IMO he coasted this year in Minnesota because he lost his desire. I think if we bring him in he'll "re-motivate" and magically stay healthy.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Crosby is Canadian

Ovechkin is Russian

Who is Grittier?
I would actually have to say that they are somewhat similar at this point. Crosby is willing to drop the gloves etc. Crosby is a little whinier but meh.

Old
04-13-2009, 01:59 PM
JohnnyReb

If we are going to be going for supremely talented, point-per-game, but often injured wingers who may or may not be contract nightmares, why not Martin Havlat? That guy at least owns a house in Montreal, so we might have a better chance at getting him...

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:07 PM
neofury*

Quote:

Exactly. Part of the reason why I chose him is because he is a goal scorer. If you look at all his seasons it's always around even in the point production department, having a few more goals then assists.

We need a goal scorer and imo Gaborik if healthy, can actually be a top 10 in the NHL kind of guy. I agree he is a question mark in terms of health though, but as others have speculated, could just be awful luck.

I think he's one of those players who is worth the risk. Only problem is I doubt we'd really want to risk it for more then a 2 year deal and he likely could find at least a 3-5 year deal elsewhere, from a more desperate team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:11 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Exactly. Part of the reason why I chose him is because he is a goal scorer. If you look at all his seasons it's always around even in the point production department, having a few more goals then assists.

We need a goal scorer and imo Gaborik if healthy, can actually be a top 10 in the NHL kind of guy. I agree he is a question mark in terms of health though, but as others have speculated, could just be awful luck.

I think he's one of those players who is worth the risk. Only problem is I doubt we'd really want to risk it for more then a 2 year deal and he likely could find at least a 3-5 year deal elsewhere, from a more desperate team.
That is what I would want also, a goalscorer like him or Kovalchuk. Personally I would take either of them over Lecavalier but that is just me.

Old
04-13-2009, 02:13 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
If we are going to be going for supremely talented, point-per-game, but often injured wingers who may or may not be contract nightmares, why not Martin Havlat? That guy at least owns a house in Montreal, so we might have a better chance at getting him...
I didn't know that honestly, but I wouldn't be against a havlat signing either.

If both are healthy, both are good.

Both are players who have had their fair share of injuries. It's hard to choose which one really, but I'd say the likeliness of getting Gaborik is greater based on the fact that I think he's definitely looking for a new team, where as Havlat would likely be more inclined to stay a Hawk.

If we could sign Havlat for cheaper though I'd definitely say him. But honestly I think Gaborik truly does have the potential to be a top 10 in the NHL kind of guy. Not saying Havlat is some schmuck, he's a great player too.

Man that would be a hard decision but I guess I would choose whichever one would take a shorter term deal for cheaper if it came down to both of them, which would likely be Havlat.

Old
04-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I want him. IMO he coasted this year in Minnesota because he lost his desire. I think if we bring him in he'll "re-motivate" and magically stay healthy.
All we need are a few shakes of your magic wand and poof! We're set!

Personally I say stay away from him and his 10 million a year asking price. Way too much of a risk and not what we need.

Just my two cents.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
All we need are a few shakes of your magic wand and poof! We're set!

Personally I say stay away from him and his 10 million a year asking price. Way too much of a risk and not what we need.

Just my two cents.
He's exactly what we need....minus injuries. A risk is a risk. People are all for taking a chance as long as we're not taking a chance. Those are the same people who complain about our lack of success. Not saying we should sign him...but we do need to take the next step and change the face of this franchise.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
That is what I would want also, a goalscorer like him or Kovalchuk. Personally I would take either of them over Lecavalier but that is just me.
Same here. Lecavalier would be a big waste imo. We'd have to give up assets for him and that would be fail imo. Especially when there are UFA's available. (Not saying any of them want to sign here, but I'd rather we sign a UFA then pay out the nose for lecavalier)

I want Gaborik because I think he could be the habs hero goal scorer and a top guy in the NHL.

How often does the opportunity arise that a player like Gab is available on the UFA market? And is it not true he does not want to re-sign in Min? That does help when said UFA doesn't want to re-sign with his current team.

This is Gaineys chance imo. I do agree that Havlat could also be another choice.

Only thing I dislike about the scenario is that where would that leave Kovalev, on another team, or would we then try to make 2 solid scoring lines?

Also which d-men or players would we then be not signing or re-signing.

To be honest, I'd be willing to let Komi go in order to guarantee Jaybo. I haven't been all that impressed with Komi this season, and that's not to say he won't be stellar next season, but I honestly wouldn't mind taking Jaybo if it meant not being able to re-sign Komi.

We're already paying Hamrlik, another stay at home D 5 mil right? Not to say Komi isn't younger and better, but we'd need to put like 25 mil into D alone if we had Komi and Jaybo would we not?

I like the idea of Gaborik in a habs uniform, but don't get me wrong if a UFA center of similar skillset was available I'd want to jump on that too, but who?

Old
04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
odishabs

COULD YOU IMAGINE?

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Gaborik
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Lang-D'Agostini
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopolous

Komisarek-Markov
Schneider-Hamrlik
Gorges-Weber

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:30 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I would actually have to say that they are somewhat similar at this point. Crosby is willing to drop the gloves etc. Crosby is a little whinier but meh.
We are getting a little of topic but I have to comment.

How many times did Crosby drop the gloves, Twice?
He's not exactly known for his earth shattering hits.

Ovy is known for 2 things, Goals and Hits.

Grit and fighting are not the same thing.

I'm not knocking Crosby, few can match his skill level but he's nowhere near as gritty as Ovy IMO.

Old
04-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Crosby is Canadian

Ovechkin is Russian

Who is Grittier?
Richards is Canadian
Malkin is Russian

Who is Grittier?

Just stop these stupid comparisons right now.

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:32 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Richards is Canadian
Malkin is Russian

Who is Grittier?

Just stop these stupid comparisons right now.
I was basically making the same point as you, saying a player is grittier because he's Canadian is not very logical. Comparison based on nationality is stupid.

Old
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
MonacoBlue

The Habs have enough wingers. I'd rather get Lecavalier and be strong down the middle. Having a strong center position is the key to success. Lecavalier is a goal scorer, too. He just happens to have the added bonus of being a center.

Plus, Gaborik is an injury risk.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I didn't know that honestly, but I wouldn't be against a havlat signing either.

If both are healthy, both are good.

Both are players who have had their fair share of injuries. It's hard to choose which one really, but I'd say the likeliness of getting Gaborik is greater based on the fact that I think he's definitely looking for a new team, where as Havlat would likely be more inclined to stay a Hawk.

If we could sign Havlat for cheaper though I'd definitely say him. But honestly I think Gaborik truly does have the potential to be a top 10 in the NHL kind of guy. Not saying Havlat is some schmuck, he's a great player too.

Man that would be a hard decision but I guess I would choose whichever one would take a shorter term deal for cheaper if it came down to both of them, which would likely be Havlat.
I actually think it's irrelevant either way. Even if we assume that either of Gaborik or Havlat would come here (taking pay cuts according to some) how are we going to fit all these players under the 2011 salary cap, when the cap is expected to drop down to around $46-48 million?? That's why I said it would be a "nightmare" of a contract.

With guys like Markov and Hamrlik still under contract for then, and with long term UFA contracts given out to Komisarek/Koivu/Tanguay/Gaborik/Havlat/Kovalev/whoever (and they ain't going to sign for one year), plus the expected raises that will have to be given to guys like Price, Lapierre and Sergie, we ain't going to be under $48 million... I've seen a lot of projections for next year's salary-cap lineup, but not many for two years from now... and that's the season that's going to make or break many franchises...

We may get a Gaborik... but it will mean losing Tanguay and possibly Koivu and/or Kovalev as well... are we that much better that way?

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
I actually think it's irrelevant either way. Even if we assume that either of Gaborik or Havlat would come here (taking pay cuts according to some) how are we going to fit all these players under the 2011 salary cap, when the cap is expected to drop down to around $46-48 million?? That's why I said it would be a "nightmare" of a contract.

With guys like Markov and Hamrlik still under contract for then, and with long term UFA contracts given out to Komisarek/Koivu/Tanguay/Gaborik/Havlat/Kovalev/whoever (and they ain't going to sign for one year), plus the expected raises that will have to be given to guys like Price, Lapierre and Sergie, we ain't going to be under $48 million... I've seen a lot of projections for next year's salary-cap lineup, but not many for two years from now... and that's the season that's going to make or break many franchises...

We may get a Gaborik... but it will mean losing Tanguay and possibly Koivu and/or Kovalev as well... are we that much better that way?
Yes. With Gaborik we gamble but if he's healthy, we get a 40 goal, mayube 50 goal player. We haven't had that in Montreal in forever.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I prefer going after Bouwmeester and making Markov - Bouwmeester our top two!
I would too...but I see about zero chance Bouwmeester signing here this summer.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote