HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins fans' overconfidence / Comparison with 2001-02 playoffs

Old
04-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Lone Rogue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Good post except Boston got to the 2nd round in 1999 after beating Carolina in the 3-6 matchup. That's still 3 fewer series wins than us since 1994.
Yeah, I missed that one. Maybe I should re-iterate that the only second round birth the Bruins made that mattered to them was in 1994.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs 2002 playoff team was a ragtag bunch, judging from the roster. I still can't fully explain how they upset the Bruins, although in retrospect the Bruins Dmen were as mobile as oak trees. At least in 2004 they had one line that dominated the Bruins as well as the advantage of playing against Raycroft.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:59 PM
GoldenForum

I mean seriously, if the Habs looked like the Bruins entering the playoffs don't you think Habs fans would be a little overconfident too. Think about the beginning of the year when all prognosticators had the Habs finishing 1st overall.

It is always such a pleasure to wipe that Beantown grin off their face.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Savynquick*

There isn't a team in the remaining 7 that I'd rather face then Montreal right now. And that seems to be a general trend in fans of other teams. How could you not want to face the team that backed into the playoffs with 4 loses, is riddled with injuries, and has a young goalie. You dream for that matchup.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:12 PM
number 11

can't really blame them for being confident the way the bruins have been playing this year. either way...playoffs is a whole different beast, and I still think the habs have a chance.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
There isn't a team in the remaining 7 that I'd rather face then Montreal right now. And that seems to be a general trend in fans of other teams. How could you not want to face the team that backed into the playoffs with 4 loses, is riddled with injuries, and has a young goalie. You dream for that matchup.
You may be right but your comments are reminiscent of what Bruins fans were saying in 2002. How could the first place Bruins lose to such a ragtag Habs team, with Koivu just returning from cancer therapy and the roster full of over-the-hill players like Gilmour and McKay and Audette and their high scorer (Zednik) felled by a cheap shot? If the Bruins are as undisciplained as they were last Thursday they could be in for a rude surprise.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
can't really blame them for being confident the way the bruins have been playing this year. either way...playoffs is a whole different beast, and I still think the habs have a chance.
Exactly we said the same thing last year,after the first couple of minutes of game 1 when it was quickly 2-0 we started to laugh at the poor Bruins.

If we had a season like they had we would be just the same if not worse

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You may be right but your comments are reminiscent of what Bruins fans were saying in 2002. How could the first place Bruins lose to such a ragtag Habs team, with Koivu just returning from cancer therapy and the roster full of over-the-hill players like Gilmour and McKay and Audette and their high scorer (Zednik) felled by a cheap shot? If the Bruins are as undisciplained as they were last Thursday they could be in for a rude surprise.
The game was a total freebie game, Lucic got the green light to do whatever he wanted while the B's had the lead. I don't expect he'll be doing that in playoff games.

And I agree 2002 was a big upset. But this team is that much better then the 2002 team.

Old
04-13-2009, 02:39 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Actually, judging by the main board, etc you guys seem more confident than we do.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:17 PM
HotPie

I find it so ****ing hilarious how Bruins fans have collectively conditioned themselves to blame the refs for any loss to the Habs during the post season in order to rationalize the ineptitude of their team.

****ing hilarious. I literally spilled my drink laughing when I glanced over their board and read some posts.

Looks like they're going to have to repress some more memories after the first round.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Tusk

Quote:
The Habs 2002 playoff team was a ragtag bunch, judging from the roster. I still can't fully explain how they upset the Bruins, although in retrospect the Bruins Dmen were as mobile as oak trees.
The Bruins were just too aggressive and over-confident for their own good, you could see it on their faces in game 1, it just seemed so unprofessional and juvenile at the time, and still does. It was probably Ftorek's fault.

Also, the Habs deadline moves were getting some guys off of the IR, Koivu, Souray, Audette. They weren't the same as the regular season team.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHestah in Maine View Post
First off, who really cares about what Bruins' fans think about the series?? If I wanted to know, I'd go looking on the Bruins board! I'm so tired of seeing threads about the Bruins on this board.

Second, the gap between teams is quite larger this year than '01-'02: 23 points to 14.
that's a gap in the standings, jot a gap in ability. Huge difference.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
you know what they say about cornering a wounded animal.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
RealCity

Personally I love their overconfidence. Bring it.

As Hotpie said, let them blame the refs, diving, and whatever else for losing, I love it.

Even when they make fun of the so called 'riot' after we eliminated them, no one ever talks about the riots after the Red Sox beat the Yanks a few years ago, when people actually DIED. The only reason there hasn't been a riot in Boston is because they haven't won a playoff series since the 98-99 season, and also no one gives a crap about hockey there.

They are going down.

RealCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Quote:
The Habs 2002 playoff team was a ragtag bunch, judging from the roster. I still can't fully explain how they upset the Bruins, although in retrospect the Bruins Dmen were as mobile as oak trees. At least in 2004 they had one line that dominated the Bruins as well as the advantage of playing against Raycroft.
The 2002 and 2004 Bruins both suffered from a terribly immobile defensive corps and a lifeless bunch of forwards. They simply played like they didn't give a ****, and it was very upsetting to watch. Many of us knew the shortcomings of those teams, and the speed of the Habs was able to overcome our size. Things have changed a bit (we're not as big as a lot of Bruins posters seem to think), but we finally have a balanced offensive attack. I think it'll be a vastly different playoff series this time, regardless of winner, where both teams are constantly threatening to score. So excited!

Bruins4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:32 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever View Post
The 2002 and 2004 Bruins both suffered from a terribly immobile defensive corps and a lifeless bunch of forwards. They simply played like they didn't give a ****, and it was very upsetting to watch. Many of us knew the shortcomings of those teams, and the speed of the Habs was able to overcome our size. Things have changed a bit (we're not as big as a lot of Bruins posters seem to think), but we finally have a balanced offensive attack. I think it'll be a vastly different playoff series this time, regardless of winner, where both teams are constantly threatening to score. So excited!
I'll give this to you: you got rid of choker Joe.

But what's good is both Habs and Bruins fans are hyped about their team and what can happen. That can only make everything more emotional. And more emotional in Hockey is always good.

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Savynquick*

I put some thought into this this afternoon. I think that without Markov and Lang, this habs team we're about to face is the worst one we've faced in over 20 years.

Go something like 13-19-5 to close out the season (and 4 loses going in), Price is ranked in the 30's in both s% and GAA average. Power play ranked 19th, and that can only drop without Markov. 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio is the second worst of any playoff team (only Rangers are worse), recent coaching change, Schneider playing hurt, no Bouillon.

How can we not be confident? That's all a #1 seed can hope for when it comes to flaws!

Old
04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
wikiwa

Quote:
I put some thought into this this afternoon. I think that without Markov and Lang, this habs team we're about to face is the worst one we've faced in over 20 years.

Go something like 13-19-5 to close out the season (and 4 loses going in), Price is ranked in the 30's in both s% and GAA average. Power play ranked 19th, and that can only drop without Markov. 5 on 5 goals for/against ratio is the second worst of any playoff team (only Rangers are worse), recent coaching change, Schneider playing hurt, no Bouillon.

How can we not be confident? That's all a #1 seed can hope for when it comes to flaws!
Your words are those of a team who's not used to win...

wikiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:43 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs killer View Post
stacked up front in 01/02, blue line was not very good at all. Defense alone, comparing the 01/02 season to this year is night and day, not even close.
Not to mention goaltending and coaching.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:56 PM
NHRonin

Quote:
Why do Habs' fans keep saying this? Do you guys not realize the Bruins didn't really care if they won that game? It was all about blowing off steam against a hated rival before the season ended.

They will not play that way in the playoffs. I can guarantee that if Lucic goes crazy like he did last week, he'll be riding the pine.

Good luck, Habs' fans. As much as I hate your team, I have to respect your tradition.

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
suprez

It's going to be tough.If the bruins show up and keep their emotion in check i don't see the habs winning.They have simply a much better team right now.

But eh ... Everything can happens! Everything..
That why we're watching eh?

I'm very excited .. Very Very Very excited!!

With the salarial cap everything can happens! The flyers finished last and 1 years later they beat us in the playoff.The bruins finished 8th and they finished first .Vise versa with the habs!

The hockey is changing!! But the fun remain!

i just hate when the Bruins fan are saying losing Markhov it's not an excuse.I give credit where it's due if the bruins beat the habs.But it's hurt us a lot losing our best player.He's the general at the blue line.Losing him make a lot of us insecure about this series.

It's like driving with no insurance when you're broke.

Last edited by suprez: 04-13-2009 at 07:17 PM.
suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:13 PM
emb24*

everyone's talking about price, price, price. what about thomas? what has he ever won? has he been that good vs montreal in his career? there's a TON of pressure on this 35 year old guy to justify 5 mill per year.

let's see what he can do.

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
suprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
everyone's talking about price, price, price. what about thomas? what has he ever won? has he been that good vs montreal in his career? there's a TON of pressure on this 35 year old guy to justify 5 mill per year.

Well sir .. You have to start somewhere . It's a cliche.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Well,

Count me among those who feels that this is going to be an upset. I agree with what some others have posted earlier in that the stats really aren't indicative of anything at this point.

The Bruins have cooled down somewhat lately and since adding Schneider our PP is back to being lethal. Price has been very good (sometimes spectacular) lately and the game we played against Boston was a strong one.

I think we can get into Thomas' head and if we do... its all over. We've got a good chance to win here. That horrific slump is over and we're a much better team than we've shown. Everyone knows this.

Hopefully, we'll get Markov back early. He's a huge difference maker.

The one factor that people seem to forget too? For the first time in maybe two seasons, there's no pressure.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 04-13-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post

BTW,

Price was amazing against Boston last year.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote