HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I actually like a Bucky idea

Old
04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

vCash: 500
I actually like a Bucky idea

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...ry/637127.html

Quote:
Nobody should feel safe. Clearly, the hockey department needs an outsider to take a fresh look at a potential overhaul. Regier built the team and should not be allowed to stay if Ruff is sent packing. The Sabres should be better in two years, but they can't rely on people who have been entrenched in the organization to get the six or seven players needed to get back into the hunt.

Blame should begin at the top with Golisano and Quinn and trickle down to the dressing room. Regier's biggest problem is being wed to his own players. The Sabres had 14 losses in regulation or overtime against Eastern Conference teams below them in the standings. That falls on Ruff as much as the collection of fragile players he coaches.

Rick Dudley would be a terrific choice to take over. He helped put the pieces in place in the late 1990s that made Ottawa a good team, after that helped build Tampa Bay into a Stanley Cup winner and currently is the assistant GM in Chicago. He could make a decision about Ruff, and you bet the house he would make roster changes.

He still lives in Lewiston, knows the team, knows the town. He would be an easy sell to a fan base that has grown tired of the same old routine, but don't get your hopes up. I'm not sure Golisano even knows the guys exists, let alone understands his qualifications.

Dudley has a strong personality and relentless work ethic, which was how he played. Quinn probably wouldn't hire him because it would mean relinquishing control. That's why it is easy to envision him keeping Regier, a good soldier who already has fallen on the crossing swords a few times.

Peter Chiarelli turned the Bruins into the top team in the conference in two years. Scott Howson turned Columbus around in the same span. Same with Paul Holmgren in Philadelphia. Brian Burke will get the job done in Toronto. The Sabres need someone with the vision, acumen and stomach to do the same here.
I think Rick Dudley would be a solid name to replace Regier with.

I don't expect LQ & BTG to have the guts to make that move, but that would get me looking forward to next season..........

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:24 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...ry/637127.html

I think Rick Dudley would be a solid name to replace Regier with.

I don't expect LQ & BTG to have the guts to make that move, but that would get me looking forward to next season..........
I'm in like... Quinn.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I mentioned Pat Quinn earlier in the thread. He's won (almost) everywhere he's coached (nobody won in LA in the '80's) and built some solid teams in places he's had management input. He's got balls and will make deals to improve his team.

I have no interest in recycling ex-Sabres. I could stomach Dudley as GM, maybe, but Muckler's over the hill and all the rest are just not worth it. Get some people who have built contenders, have coached winning teams. Enough with the cheap-o home-town discount folks who might not have a job otherwise. Let's get some new blood in, some hockey minds. It's more than time enough to do so.

04-13-2009, 09:40 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Chain, I think you and Buffaloed need to pour over the server logs, and see if you find any IP or host addresses you can trace back to TBN.

If you see something like [bigbucky1.thebuffalonews.com] make sure you let us know.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Chain, I think you and Buffaloed need to pour over the server logs, and see if you find any IP or host addresses you can trace back to TBN.

If you see something like [bigbucky1.thebuffalonews.com] make sure you let us know.
I'm pretty sure Schopp and Bulldog also frequent this site because I've heard them talk about things that were brought up here first, so you should probably look for a WGR IP too , but yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if that hack Gleason was browsing through here or other Sabres forums for ideas.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
I'd look at guys that have worked with Muckler over the years for the coaching spot. I really don't think this team is 7 players away from a highly competitive team, it's more like upgrading 2 positions (center and defense) and bringing in more veterans where they have young role players.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:17 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
I'd look at guys that have worked with Muckler over the years for the coaching spot. I really don't think this team is 7 players away from a highly competitive team, it's more like upgrading 2 positions (center and defense) and bringing in more veterans where they have young role players.
Which could end up being 6 or 7 players. At the very least it would be 3 or 4.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
I'm pretty sure Schopp and Bulldog also frequent this site because I've heard them talk about things that were brought up here first, so you should probably look for a WGR IP too , but yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if that hack Gleason was browsing through here or other Sabres forums for ideas.
I think Kevin Sylvester has been "known" to read these boards as well...

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:24 PM
dire wolf
be cool

One of my posts was plagiarized almost verbatim a couple of years ago by TBN, so I know someone over there is "listening." ( I can't remember if it was Bucky) I don't want to discourage that behaviour though because this is the most knowledgeable, insightful and articulate group of Sabres fans around.

As for Bucky's suggestion, I think it's not bad. I also agree with his comment that Regier's biggest fault is being too wed to his own players, although sometimes I think it's more that he's afraid to pull the trigger on deals.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Which could end up being 6 or 7 players. At the very least it would be 3 or 4.
3 very good players would do it while moving the roster fat out. 7 seems on the 'rebuilding' side.

I'd love to see a Chiarelli come in. It's pretty funny, because just two years ago the B's were looking at the Sabres and thinking about how they would remake their team in that image.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote