HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Draft Louis Leblanc Thread

Old
04-12-2009, 10:11 PM
BigTimer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Jared Staal had 21 in his draft year. That total didn't impress me then, 25 doesn't impress now, especially from a gritty forward that's a mid first-rounder.

My boy Werek got 32 on a worst team than Peterborough. He's lighting up the other teams at the U18's (4 goals in 2 games).

Get me that guy. He'll make for a more productive pro. I guarantee it.
I would be far from upset at Werek, and lets wait for bigger challenges than just Switzerland and Germany at the U18's for both Werek and Kassian's (who is getting his points as well) sake. Werek brings the range we need, but so does Kassian who is closer to being a complete package, albeit a raw one.

If both are available without trading up, I'm taking Kassian.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:14 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
1998? Wow, you did'nt have too many examples, right?
Welcome t the 21th century, Teufelslate!
The 21st century; where the Q is a complete laughing stock.

Old
04-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
I would be far from upset at Werek, and lets wait for bigger challenges than just Switzerland and Germany at the U18's for both Werek and Kassian's (who is getting his points as well) sake. Werek brings the range we need, but so does Kassian who is closer to being a complete package, albeit a raw one.

If both are available without trading up, I'm taking Kassian.
Depends on what you mean.

Werek isn't as gritty and doesn't have the mean streak, but he has a goal-scoring instinct that Kassian lacks. I also believe his offensive flair is superior.

That said, it's hard to predict what pros they are going to make.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:27 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
oh ya! I'm sure you're an junior hockey expert!
Thanks for your time!
On passe à un autre appel!

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:29 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Depends on what you mean.

Werek isn't as gritty and doesn't have the mean streak, but he has a goal-scoring instinct that Kassian lacks. I also believe his offensive flair is superior.

That said, it's hard to predict what pros they are going to make.
I feel that with Pacioretty, Latendresse, and Kassian as three of our main young wingers in our projected top-6 that we'd finally be able to put that need for grit upfront to rest.

Regardless of who we pick, we need to address our #1 center spot this summer someway, somehow... All else is moot if we keep thinking that Koivu and Pleks can get the job done.

Old
04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I feel that with Pacioretty, Latendresse, and Kassian as three of our main young wingers in our projected top-6 that we'd finally be able to put that need for grit upfront to rest.

Regardless of who we pick, we need to address our #1 center spot this summer someway, somehow... All else is moot if we keep thinking that Koivu and Pleks can get the job done.
Good thing Werek is a center.

Old
04-12-2009, 10:39 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
There are still some great prospects, but the number is just very slim...

Seeing Keven Veilleux playing right now, the Habs clearly missed something there. I wouldn't be surprise if he makes the Pens NHL lineup next year...

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 10:42 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Good thing Werek is a center.
Another left handed one that won't be manning a top-2 pivot spot for several years. We need righties.

Old
04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
There are still some great prospects, but the number is just very slim...

Seeing Keven Veilleux playing right now, the Habs clearly missed something there. I wouldn't be surprise if he makes the Pens NHL lineup next year...
Perhaps I am missing something but when I saw him last year, I would have been pissed if the Habs drafted him in the first round or even 2nd but I watched a few games this year when Fortier was back and he looked impressive, not sure what he did to change but good for him and Pitt. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he made the Pens, they appear to be in major cap problems and are going to need cheap contracts I'm guessing (I actually have't looked cause I don't care one bit but the guy that sits next to me at work is a Pens fan so I get info from him)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Perhaps I am missing something but when I saw him last year, I would have been pissed if the Habs drafted him in the first round or even 2nd but I watched a few games this year when Fortier was back and he looked impressive, not sure what he did to change but good for him and Pitt. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he made the Pens, they appear to be in major cap problems and are going to need cheap contracts I'm guessing (I actually have't looked cause I don't care one bit but the guy that sits next to me at work is a Pens fan so I get info from him)
I can't agree more. I wished that Montreal try to move for 2nd round pick last year to get Patrice Cormier.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
DDIHH

Should we start an "Official draft BPA thread"?

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Roulin

I wouldn't mind trading down to pick Leblanc, and getting a 2nd round pick in the deal. But if we stay at #18, it looks like there will be better players available - Werek, Ferraro, Despres, Roussel, Josefson, Morin are all possibilities.

Of course, I would love to see the Habs win at least a couple of rounds, and fall in Leblanc's range.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:31 PM
GNick42

I wouldn't mind if we took Werek

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
you mean the league that produced epic busts like Fortier, Voracek, Crosby, Frolik, Brassard, Latendresse, Lapierre Krejci and Giroux?

Well... I can't say I'm shocked...

-------

All triviality aside, I am quite surprise to see that people around here are so scared of drafting a quebecer in the first round... Maybe we drafted an utter bust in Chouinard, but other drafted quebecer who developped well... like a certain Gagne or Bergeron...

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Lone Rogue

Montreal will draft a French Canadian in the First Round because they know if they draft anyone else the Bell Centre will boo the poor kid into not wanting to play here.

It's a pathetic truth about a large portion of the fans of this franchise.

I think we'll draft Jordan Caron, even if it takes moving up.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
you mean the league that produced epic busts like Fortier, Voracek, Crosby, Frolik, Brassard, Latendresse, Lapierre Krejci and Giroux?

Well... I can't say I'm shocked...

-------

All triviality aside, I am quite surprise to see that people around here are so scared of drafting a quebecer in the first round... Maybe we drafted an utter bust in Chouinard, but other drafted quebecer who developped well... like a certain Gagne or Bergeron...
This is what a lot of people are missing.

There is a group that believes we need to take a French/Q player.

There is a group that believes we need to take the best player available.

There is no rational group that believes that we should never take a Q player. Wanting the BPA means BPA, regardless of league. If he's from the Q, WONDERFUL! Bonus. If he's not, no biggie.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:06 PM
fredez

This does seem like an interesting year for QMJHL and francophone prospects. At least way more interesting that the last few years which have been pretty weak overall.

There are two guys, we rarely hear anything about around here that have caught my eye.

First, Alex Chiasson. He's in the USHL just like Louis Leblanc. He too led his team in scoring as a 17 year old. I believe he was a -9 which was best on his abysmal team. He has pretty good frame at 6'3" 185. I believe he is expected to go in the early-mid 2nd round though and we have no pick around that range.

Second, I have no idea where he is ranked or where he is expected to be picked but I'm very intrigued by Eric Gelinas. He has a pretty big sports-pedigree. His brother Karl Gelinas was drafted in the MLB (Angels) and his father was a pretty good athlete and is almost 7 feet tall (tallest man I've ever seen live lol).

Eric is a superb skater and he led a pretty low scoring team in points (for defensemen) as a 17 years old which is pretty strong. He has all the physical tools and he'll most likely reach the 6'4-6'5" mark once he is fully matured. A defenseman that big, that skates so well == pretty rare.

If he falls to the 4th-5th round, I would without a doubt take a flyer on him.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
This is what a lot of people are missing.

There is a group that believes we need to take a French/Q player.

There is a group that believes we need to take the best player available.

There is no rational group that believes that we should never take a Q player. Wanting the BPA means BPA, regardless of league. If he's from the Q, WONDERFUL! Bonus. If he's not, no biggie.
Timmins has said it a few times now. They want to take the best player available.

Though, Carbo (when he was with the team) and Boivin made it clear that the team is doing an effort to acquire Québécois. And it's true. Look at our roster every year. We are always the team with the most Québécois on it's roster (or very close to the top).

I personally think we should draft good players, including good Québécois and that's what the team direction seem to think too.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
kernkraft

Zach Budish for me here. 6'4 230lbs, Right shooting centerman. Around 2 ppg at Edina High School.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
You can add Chipchura and Fischer too.

Ah yes, any defenseman drafted out of HS 2 years ago who hasn't fully matured in a top 2 NHL D yet has to be a total bust...

Another insightful comment by CanadienErrant...

Last edited by Max et Guillaume: 04-13-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road for the 25th View Post
Ah yes, any defenseman drafted out of HS 2 years agp who hasn't fully matured in a top 2 NHL D yet has to be a total bust...

I must say, he's piling them up.

Old
04-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Ah yes, any defenseman drafted out of HS 2 years ago who hasn't fully matured in a top 2 NHL D yet has to be a total bust...

Don't you realize that Timmins failed to realize that David Fischer would get ill and lose weight, thus pushing his development back a year. Every other scout did, hence why every other team had Fischer in the Eighth Round.

Timmins
Gainey
Koivu

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:44 PM
tiredman

Quote:

I have not really seen him play this season... but his statistics seem to indicate he's still very far from being in the NHL.

4 goals in 3 season in the NCAA for Fischer... Even Komisarek, who's a defensive dman, who has like 10 goals in the NHL in 5 seasons, had a season of 11 goals in the NCAA. Fischer is still far from this point.... and he was considered as an offensive dman when he was drafted. Komi wasn't.

I'm not saying he's a bust... but it's pretty clear that if Fischer can't be an offensive dman in the NCAA, he won't develop into one in the NHL.

Unless he's a very good defensive player or that his stats indicate nothing about him or that he suddently develops into a good offensive player, I can't see how he's going to develop into a regular NHL player.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
I have not really seen him play this season... but his statistics seem to indicate he's still very far from being in the NHL.

4 goals in 3 season in the NCAA for Fischer... Even Komisarek, who's a defensive dman, who has like 10 goals in the NHL in 5 seasons, had a season of 11 goals in the NCAA. Fischer is still far from this point.... and he was considered as an offensive dman when he was drafted. Komi wasn't.

I'm not saying he's a bust... but it's pretty clear that if Fischer can't be an offensive dman in the NCAA, he won't develop into one in the NHL.

Unless he's a very good defensive player or that his stats indicate nothing about him or that he suddently develops into a good offensive player, I can't see how he's going to develop into a regular NHL player.
Fischer has been a defensive D man at Minnesota, he's on the top PK unit and 2nd PP unit, he's the top D on his team this year imo. I do agree, I think he's still a ways away as he's got to get stronger. But he's got the frame, so once he fills it out more, he's got a long reach, plays smart in his own end, moves the puck well, very good skater with decent speed.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Max et Guillaume

Well his developmnent hasn't been what we expected (because of illness this year), but he still managed 13 points in 30 games.

My point is, 2 years after drafting a player at the age of 16 is way, way too early to call him a bust.. But looking at CanadienErrant's track record, that comment wasn't too surprising...

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote