HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we resign Komisarek this off season?

View Poll Results: Do we resign Komisarek this off season?
Yes, keep Komi a Hab 119 84.40%
No, better cheaper options out there 22 15.60%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
On sportsradio this morning. I'm not trying to antagonize you. I'm saying he's going to want a pay day the same way Streit did. It's hardly news to anyone.
Which sports radio broadcast were you listening to when you heard this Savynquick?

Oh, and quoting another hockey board is not a credible source. So I deleted your post that contained the link.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Lone Rogue

vCash: 500
Quote:
On sportsradio this morning. I'm not trying to antagonize you. I'm saying he's going to want a pay day the same way Streit did. It's hardly news to anyone.
Him and Higgins went to Gainey around Christmas to get new contracts and Gainey said that he won't re-sign anyone until after the season is over.

This concept of waiting is something a lot of uneducated hockey fans simply cannot grasp, due to their complete inability to understand the job of a General Manager. Thus, you have unfounded rumours of players about to leave or wanting more money, simply because, "If the team wanted them to stay, they would sign them now".

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
buddahsmoka1

Why ask this now? Shouldn't this upcoming series be the real litmus test?

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Find that odd? That exact situation just happened to you with Streit.
it wasn't the exact situation at all. Wre never even tried to pursue Streit because we couldn't.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
heard this morning he's looking for big $$$ from the Islanders.
ya ok, source?

He will be back.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
fredez

Quote:
Find that odd? That exact situation just happened to you with Streit.
Do you realize that we let Streit go and no the other way around? The organization didn't think Streit could play as a regular on defense and I can fully understand why (Streit had a tough time handling big forwards and was pretty weak defensively). Since Streit couldn't be guaranteed a spot on D, he went elsewhere.

It seems that the Habs were not the only organization to question Streit's defensive ability since the Islanders (of all teams) grabbed him. We can now see that Streit has flourished as a go-to guy. Good for him.

As for Komi. He had a very very bad season and will most likely be signed for under 4 millions by the Habs. I'm personnaly hoping for Colin White money (3 M$) because I think those two guys bring similar things to the table. Komisarek seems to love it here and sees that the organization is ready to put a lot of trust in him (named assistant captain, possible future captain). He doesn't strike as a guy to aim for the big bucks, but you never know.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Jigger77

I just wish he had an ounce of offensive upside. As much as Komi is a warrior and one of the best in the business at blocking shots he's extremely one-dimensional. That's the reason I think he's not going to get as much as people think imo.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
4M? Yes, can't be worse than Cory Sarich or Jeff Finger!

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:50 PM
dutchy29

Trade Komi for Streit

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Pat

I'm praying Habs sign Komi, but I fear some team will offer him an insane amount of money.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Schooner Guy

Hell Yeah!! Komi proved his value last week in the game in Boston. He's a warrior and you need physical gamers like him to succeed in the playoffs. He's just entering his prime years.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I just wish he had an ounce of offensive upside. As much as Komi is a warrior and one of the best in the business at blocking shots he's extremely one-dimensional. That's the reason I think he's not going to get as much as people think imo.
I agree, if he had some offensive upside he would be worth more but he doesn't. 4 million on a long term contract is a little high on a good team for his services. (oh and I am assuming you mean 10 yrs = long term) so I voted NO!!

Before this season I would have said that 4 million is fair but he had a terrible season for him. This is the 1st season he has gone backwords in his abilities. I am glad that Bob is waiting till the playoffs are over. One thing is for sure, Bob probably has the toughest job in Hockey, this summer will be very interesting as Bob has a lot of work to do in a short time.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
MicroFracture

Quote:
heard this morning he's looking for big $$$ from the Islanders.
Everyone says that.
''He's from Long Island, he'll go with the Islanders and get big bucks!''
But IMO, Komi is young and does not want to go to a rebuilding team, not to mention he seems to love it here.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Toro

I wanted to add 1 more thing. I hate long term contracts. 5 to 6 years is as far as I hope Gainey goes on any long term contract. Anything longer is just stupid.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Streit didn't want to leave to NYI. He just got a great offer from there.
Komi wants to stay here as he mentioned it before the season started and the habs clearly want him to stay seeing as they allowed him to go behind the bench while injured.
He's not going anywhere, his situation is more comparable to the one of Markov, not Streit.

Markov said he loved playing here but wasn't re-signed during the season. Since he barely spoke to the media and always was a shy/quiet man, not too many people thought he'd re-sign but we all know what happened.

Komi will be a habs for many years to come, I'd bet anything on that. I'd tattoo the Bruins logo on my ass if he doesn't sign here.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Bullsmith

5 years at 5.5

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
5 years at 5.5
No thank you. That is Markov money. Komi is nowhere near Markov. As someone said, he is very one-dimensional. If another team is going to overpay for him (like 5.5 million) then let him walk. I personally wouldn't give him over 3.5 for 3-4 years.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:55 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'd sign him, but not to anything more than $4.5M.. I'd just offer that to Ohlund instead on a shorter term contract.
4,5mil max on a 3 or 4 years deal is as far as I would go...

Ohlund is a great choice and so is Beauchemin... The way he played without Markov showed us he deserves to be re-sign, but if another team wants to overpay for him, go ahead...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Miller Time

@4M per, I'd be fine with a long term deal...
it's a lot to pay, and we'd have to hope that he can improve on his performance this year, but at some point as a franchise you have to make commitments to "core" guys who you want to build your team around.

Komi may not be great all around, even mediocre as far as offensive contributions, but he is the only guy who brings a real physical precense in the back end, and from what it looks like on the outside, he seems to be settling into a leadership role on and off the ice (though i could be wrong about that).

if he goes, we're left having to bring in someone else to play top four minutes on D, and frankly outside of JBo or Ohlund, there is no one available that would be a clear upgrade on Komi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Komisarek should have already been signed in my opinion,earlier this year when he got injured,Bob had plenty of time to meet with him and agree on an extension.Now I think Komi would be crazy not to wait and see whats there for him on the open market

this is the big problem... If Komi walks, there is really no way for Gainey to come away without egg on his face (unless he's busy planning a cup parade). You do what you have to do to keep the players you want to build your team with, and/or you move the quality players you have for other assets if you can't/won't be able to sign them... GM 101 i would think...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:07 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
it wasn't the exact situation at all. Wre never even tried to pursue Streit because we couldn't.
Actually I think the word was the Streit was willing to sign for less in February. I think we erred. I think most folks know that now.

Meanwhile I think Komi while not in the superstar category, he is in the desireable D man grouping. I think we should resign the guy

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Yes, but not over 3m$ a year.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:36 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
Do you realize that we let Streit go and no the other way around? The organization didn't think Streit could play as a regular on defense and I can fully understand why (Streit had a tough time handling big forwards and was pretty weak defensively). Since Streit couldn't be guaranteed a spot on D, he went elsewhere.

It seems that the Habs were not the only organization to question Streit's defensive ability since the Islanders (of all teams) grabbed him. We can now see that Streit has flourished as a go-to guy. Good for him.

As for Komi. He had a very very bad season and will most likely be signed for under 4 millions by the Habs. I'm personnaly hoping for Colin White money (3 M$) because I think those two guys bring similar things to the table. Komisarek seems to love it here and sees that the organization is ready to put a lot of trust in him (named assistant captain, possible future captain). He doesn't strike as a guy to aim for the big bucks, but you never know.
Your avatar made me throw-up in my mouth a little bit.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've made peace with it.

If he wants outrageous money, I'll be glad to let him go play for another team and succeed there until he becomes a burden, which we won't then have to worry about. His physical type of game will take a toll, I don't expect him to be dominant for all his career (funny I should say that seeing the play he's responsible of this season).

We have some nice prospects or we could spend the cap otherwise, options are there.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Devulous, dutchy29, fifi, GNick42, IrishPaulie, jason allison'fans, Jean-Guy Drouin, Macs, Magic33, missthenet, Steadfast, THECHFAN, Tom Kostopoulos, Toro, vokiel all need to be clubbed and thrown rocks at.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Yes, sign him to a 4-year deal worth between $3.5 and 4 million a year.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote