HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque/Stewart role in this series

Old
04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Pr3Va1L

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
To be fair Metro didn't do most of that in your jersey. He got you a goal and was -3. But I agree he's a nice 4th line player, he played well for us last year in the playoffs.

I had no idea Higgins had fallen all the way to your 4th line!

In the few (3?) games Gainey has tryed this, he gave him defensive responsibilities and Metro/Higgins have actually kept the top lines from scoring at all in those 3 games

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Benzaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
he played for Edmonton in the year they made the finals.
oups i was wrong thx

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
No one ?? both chara and thornton challenged him the game he was chasing lucic around the ice making a fool of himself..I personally hope he plays every single game..everyone knows there really arent any fights in the playoffs and because of this laraque will be useless.. he's too slow to check anyone.. I'd love to see him line up Looch cause he will be the one winding up on his butt..
At the very least Cheech would be off the ice for 5 minutes along with Big Georges but from a Bruins standpoint you might be still more disappointed with the outcome.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
I come in complete peace to have a fairly even handed discussion on this, because personally I think Claude pulled a master move if he can trick Gainey into dressing Laraque.

You mention that Laraque has contributed quite well down low. He's got 0g, 2pts, and is a -6. I know he's been a bit snake bitten, but imho if we can get you to dress this guy in all the games, it's not going to be a good series for you.

Boston rolls the deepest set of scorers in the nhl with more 20g men then anyone. The last thing you want to do is react to Lucic with goons. You need to out-depth us. You dress Laraque and it'll be just the opposite.
I don't know how old you are but I'll tell you that I've lived to see the Habs win 10 Stanley Cups and if there is one thing that I've learned in my life of watching, playing and coaching hockey, it's that you take the regular season's stats and throw them in the garbage as this is a brand new season. Some players who have been great all year won't be a factor while others will rise their play.

Also, you may not know that Laraque has been hampered with groin and back injuries all year but his last few games, he's looked very good out there. Don't get me wrong, he won't ever be confused with Ovechkin or a Selke nominee, but he can hold his own, especially in front of the Bruins' net and down low in your zone.

As for Julien's "strategy", I'm questioning who's strategy that was really seeing that Laraque wasn't in the line-up against you guys in the last game. Everyone around the Habs was shocked to see that as we all expected that kind of game. I'm thinking that even if I didn't agree with Gainey's decision not to dress Laraque, he may have been up to something. Do NOT underestimate Gainey. He's played at that level, knows what it takes to win and he's a very smart hockey mind.

And as it's been mentioned before, Laraque will be seeing limited ice time with Kovalev being double shifted...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Delat

Laraque's role is pretty simple, he needs to get the Bruins out of tehir gameplan. What is tehir gameplan? The Bruins like to send their enforcer out there and play it rude, he needs to calm things down, he doesn't need to bring more tension because we know they have more that 2 enforcers and they have other pretty good offensive players. So what he needs to do is keep everything as calm as possible so that we can match up Higgins with Thornton and we all know who's got more talent. We need to be able to play our game and not always have to respond to their game. Our game isn't hitting everyone, while the Bruins look for the hits, we are htting when the time comes. So we have to keep doing that. Laraque's job will be huge in all these little scrums, he has to make them short and sweet.

Stewart if he plays will have to get Lucic out of his game, Stewart can't have the respect Laraque has, so I hope Bob will match Metro's line with Lucic line when Stewart is in, because Lucic will maybe fight him and then it will be a good 5 minute trade. Stewart can't go after Thornton because that would light things up, Scott T. is too dangerous for Stewart but if he concentrates himself on Lucic, Lucic will maybe focus on Stewart and not on Komisarek or anyother player.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Darz

Laraque starts earning his salary come Thursday.

His regular season contributions were almost non-existent, but in a knock em out, heated emotion 7 game playoff series, he could prove invaluable.

04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
sheed36

I want BGL in the line up...If the Bruins try to take liberties with the Habs smaller skilled guys the Habs need someone in their line up to keep the Bruins honest.You take liberties with our skilled guys we also have players that can do the exact same thing..

IMO the Habs signed BGL for this very purpose..Last year the Habs didn't have a physical presence in their lineup and both the Bruins and Flyers did what they pretty much wanted in the playoff's because they knew the Habs had no one who would respond....With both BGL and Stewart in the line up the Habs will have someone who can answer the bell when things start to get out of hand...If you are going to pay BGL 1.5M you might as well use him even with limited ice time...It's time for BGL to stop being the nice guy and start earning the contract he signed...

Just my 2 cents....

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I want BGL in the line up...If the Bruins try to take liberties with the Habs smaller skilled guys the Habs need someone in their line up to keep the Bruins honest.You take liberties with our skilled guys we also have players that can do the exact same thing..

IMO the Habs signed BGL for this very purpose..Last year the Habs didn't have a physical presence in their lineup and both the Bruins and Flyers did what they pretty much wanted in the playoff's because they knew the Habs had no one who would respond....With both BGL and Stewart in the line up the Habs will have someone who can answer the bell when things start to get out of hand...If you are going to pay BGL 1.5M you might as well use him even with limited ice time...It's time for BGL to stop being the nice guy and start earning the contract he signed...

Just my 2 cents....
Komisarek and Begin both worried me as a Bruins fan more than BGL does. The former 2 will do some nasty, unpredictable, dirty type stuff. Not BGL's style.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
"Ce n’est pas Georges Laraque qui va changer notre équipe. C’est notre équipe qui peut aider Georges Laraque", a de son côté nuancé Gainey.

Cette réponse veut d’ailleurs tout dire. Trop souvent cette saison, les joueurs du Canadien ont laissé l'aspect physique à Laraque lorsque celui-ci était dans la formation.

Source...
I like this mentality. Gainey is saying that it's not Georges that will change the team, but the team can help Georges. By that he means that he found that when Laraque was in the line-up, other players were sitting back on the physical department thinking that Laraque could do it all.

Although I still disagree with his decision to leave Laraque out of the line-up in the last game against the Bruins, I now understand better why Gainey has done it. He wanted the team to take care of the rough stuff themselves, pull together without Laraque. Still too risky for my liking as Komo, Lapierre or Latendresse could have easily been lost to serious injuries in those non-sense scuffles, but I see why it was done and no, it wasn't for the PP as some stipulated.

Here's hoping that the team comes out and matches the Bruins' physicality and Laraque in the line-up allowing them to not have to fear retribution.

Old
04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
AgRiVaToRR*

If you listen to his interview on Habs I/O, he really sounds like he understands his role and sounds confident. He says this is the best he's felt all year and that he will be physical while remaining smart and discpline.

AgRiVaToRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Hi guys, we all know this series will be tough and intense. Bruins have Lucic, Thornton and Chara who disturb our best players.

We also know that no one want to fight Laraque. He must find a way to be useful in this series. IMO, the only was he can help us is to play like a pest. He can hit really hard and he surely can respond to any Bruins. Disturb Chara and send him to the penalty box for 5 minutes with him, it clearly help us. Or hit hard Savard in the first game many times and he would be scare to play along the board.

For Stewart, his speed and intensity can also be benefic in this way.

We shouldn't be victims anymore, we need to be agressor.
I can tell you what will happen..Thorton will fight BGL right off, and put them in the box. That will settle those two down for awhile.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:18 PM
emb24*

honestly, if we could have a little bit of the BGL from those oil/stars playoff series it would be HUGE. if the guy just started punishing players with hits... he's 6'3 252...i know him ,he's HUGE.. if he developed a little more of a mean streak in this series, he could make a significant difference in keeping chara off his game and lucic a bit quieter...

i am sure fulien has given lucic strict instructions to stay away from him and not fight - so one can assume he will be quieter...bgl could kill thornton if he wanted to...who cares?

the key for me, is BGL targeting chara as much as he can with checks

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:20 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
I can tell you what will happen..Thorton will fight BGL right off, and put them in the box. That will settle those two down for awhile.
if they do fight, i believe it will be significantly different than the first time - which was BGL's first game of the year and first fight - and clearly he was out of shape. can you imagine if BGL catches thornton with one of his left bombs and fractures a cheek bone?

that would certainly set the tone

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Maliki2

My point being, fighting Thorton would only take BGL off the ice, thus nullifying his roll of being on the ice keeping people quiet.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:58 PM
mrCoffea*

There is no way he plays game 1, or at least, he might not get press boxed, but he won't be playing a lot of minutes

same goes for Stewart

The Habs best chance against the Bruins is to find a way to annoy them, make them play dirty out of pure hatred/disdain and then score on the power plays

Thomas has been playing well, but we've score 5 goals or more on him more than once. He isn't an insurmountable wall if we can get him off his game

If Boston plays disciplined Hockey, we practically have no chance against them. But catering to their game with Laraque and Stewart isn't a good idea. It's a losing battle. They should only be around in case things get out of hand, depending on how the refs call the games

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
My point being, fighting Thorton would only take BGL off the ice, thus nullifying his roll of being on the ice keeping people quiet.
Not at all because he'd be back on the ice. See, it's not necessary for him to be on the ice to be efficient. He needs to be in the line-up.