HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will Latendresse become a Milan Lucic?

Old
04-13-2009, 06:51 PM
timbitca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
He needs:

- A mean streak

- To learn to how skate

- Work on speed, which he has..but there's still a way to go
This post sums it up pretty well, especially the part in bold. He caught up to the Zamboni this year, now let's see if he can pass it next season.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:06 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaza View Post
what i dont understand is from the coaching staff point of view...if the coach asks all his players to hit the other team hard, non-stop...wouldnt the players do that? ..
Probably, but it would be a terrible waste of a fine goal-scorer.

Latendresse makes the Lapierre line work. It's his hands, his shot, his hockey sense that make it a meaningful offensive threat. Without him it's just a high-energy grinding line.

Lats is, in fact, a better goal scorer than 95% of the Habs, especially five-on-five. If he were asked to be purely a hitter, it'd make him a far worse player.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Kman777

I think Latendresse uses his size quite well along the boards, his skating has to improve just a little bit more before he can start throwing huge open ice hits. Personally I like his offensive upside more than Lucic's.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:30 PM
habtastic

Lats is fine the way he is (taking into account his continual development). He will be a very important player in this series. As long as he shoots, and not that spin around blind shot. Quick snap shot when he comes off the boards after protecting it (which he has become very good at!)

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
eightyseven

I don't understand Montreal fans' obsession with Lucic. He's a good player, not a gamebreaker, at least now yet in his development. He also is a cheap shot artist but in terms of actual skill level, isn't all that great, he just keeps it simple, working down low and driving to the net. If you overrate him, I think it only makes it worse....

Don't always listen to the TSN hype. They make Tavares sound like the second coming of God himself. TSN reporters are hyping Lucic but in terms of game-breaking ability, I'd think I'd take someone like Chara or Kovalev over him.

When my Sens play Boston, I hardly notice Lucic...

Montreal should be more focused on Bergeron (French-Canadian players always do well against the Habs, it seems), Recchi (from what we saw in the last game, ex-Hab), Savard, Kessel. I'm not sure about Krejci, he looks like a "soft" European player (stereotype of course) and I don't recall him standing out in the last game or in last year's playoffs. Uhh, maybe Wheeler but he isn't exactly physical himself. So Montreal just has to avoid letting those guys have the puck.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Patty Roy

I have been pretty happy with what i've seen from Latendresse, especially in the last 20 games or so of this season. But clearly his physical game has regressed from when he first entered the league.

Maybe at the time he thought it was his only way to make a contribution, but really a couple of years ago it seemed like he hit to hurt...and he was the one Habs forward that could do it too. I noticed a drop off last year and again this season.

I dont want to see him running around the ice simply looking for hits...but he should finish every opportunity that presents itself. That's really all im asking for at this point.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
I don't understand Montreal fans' obsession with Lucic. He's a good player, not a gamebreaker, at least now yet in his development. He also is a cheap shot artist but in terms of actual skill level, isn't all that great, he just keeps it simple, working down low and driving to the net. If you overrate him, I think it only makes it worse....

Don't always listen to the TSN hype. They make Tavares sound like the second coming of God himself. TSN reporters are hyping Lucic but in terms of game-breaking ability, I'd think I'd take someone like Chara or Kovalev over him.

When my Sens play Boston, I hardly notice Lucic...

Montreal should be more focused on Bergeron (French-Canadian players always do well against the Habs, it seems), Recchi (from what we saw in the last game, ex-Hab), Savard, Kessel. I'm not sure about Krejci, he looks like a "soft" European player (stereotype of course) and I don't recall him standing out in the last game or in last year's playoffs. Uhh, maybe Wheeler but he isn't exactly physical himself. So Montreal just has to avoid letting those guys have the puck.
I agree.

Lucic is a sparkplug, but he's not the guy we need to worry about. Kind of like you don't worry about Avery or Tucker. Those guys are good at their jobs but we need to remember who the real threats are. Lucic isn't one of those guys and if we pay too much attention to him, he's been successful.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I agree.

Lucic is a sparkplug, but he's not the guy we need to worry about. Kind of like you don't worry about Avery or Tucker. Those guys are good at their jobs but we need to remember who the real threats are. Lucic isn't one of those guys and if we pay too much attention to him, he's been successful.
...or in terms Habs fans can relate to.

It's like focusing on Lapierre.

I'd personally think that Julien has more of an eye on Kovalev.

(and no, I am not saying they're the exact same player...)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Lats has progressed nicely this year. If he can continue to progress next year a little more, I think all habs fans will be pleased with him.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

You wanna see a mean streak? Wait till Lats is watching from the ice and pinch his wifes ass.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
You wanna see a mean streak? Wait till Lats is watching from the ice and pinch his wifes ass.
That works on most players.

For Lats, the best approach would be to replace Youppi! with:

(jokes! jokes!)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Tray4Adams

Latendresse will be Latendresse.

We could have had Lucic, yet we took Maxwell the pick before.

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveFor25IsAlive View Post
Latendresse will be Latendresse.

We could have had Lucic, yet we took Maxwell the pick before.
And if we wouldn't have we would have no upcoming center for the team.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorzzz View Post
I hope it never happens, I don't want a coward like Lucic on our team. I would rather have someone who can control himself on the ice.

GO HABS GO!
I'd take Lucic on my team any day of the week. And the answer to the question is never. They'll be different and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Lats has never played that way and Lucic has always played that way.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Latendresse will never be a Lucic. For one thing, he doesn't fight which also means that he doesn't pick and chose his fights!

I'm very pleased with Latendresse this season and because he's been in the league for 3 years, people tend to forget that he's only 21! To put things into context, Lapierre just turned the corner and he's 24. Plekanec turned the corner last year at 24 as well. Andrei Kostitsyn is still terribly inconsistent and he's 23. Young guys rarely have the consistency that they need until their mid-20's and some never get it (Kovalev anyone?).

Latendresse is physical, he's getting more and more confident and the best thing for him is to be matched with Lapierre as those two seem to enjoy each other's company on and off the ice. Guillaume is also quite mature for his age, already a father.
And you seem to forget Kovalev is 36 and our older forward and despite that he is still our best scorer, has the most point this season and last season, and last playoff.

Stop trying to bash Kovalev on every thread. You know deep down inside that Kovalev, the Habs wouldnt make the playoff this season.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:08 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Latendresse will be Latendresse. I think he has more offensive upside than Lucic but he will never have his mean streak. When he plays with Lapierre Latendresse is a bit more agressive however, he takes part in scrums and he's better at delivering hits than he used to be. They are the perfect pair because Guillaume (the Benoit in me speaking here) can't seem to be able to lead the play (yet) so having a crash and bang, energic guy like Lapierre leading the way helps him a lot. Its sad he was injured this year because he improved a lot this year.

Lucic is not the most gifted offensively (he's still above average mind you), its his aggressiveness and sheer size and strength allows him to score goals and create chances. Latendresse relies far more on his skill, even if he can (and does) use his fairly large (and fat ) body too. He's slowly learning to be a more complete player by using all of his tools more effectively.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Latendresse will have a mean steak way before he has a mean streak.

Jokes aside, Lats will never be Lucic. He doesn't have near the level of aggressiveness and grit that Lucic has. Lats might become a good power-forward who will put a good amounts of pucks in the net or remain a great 3rd-liner, but one thing is sure, he will never be like Lucic.

If we draft a guy like Kassian this year, then perhaps some comparison might be realistic. Until then, the Habs have no players who have the potential to be a Lucic-type of player.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
He doesn't have a mean streak.

That normally doesn't come from development and learning.
I agree with you. He's a big nice guy.. But that's ok. He just has to get a little meaner on the ice..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:20 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I agree with you. He's a big nice guy.. But that's ok. He just has to get a little meaner on the ice..
I think he's more aggressive than he used to be. Its a bit unfair to ask him to be Lucic since Lucy can be absolutely berserk and reckless at times (which isn't always a good thing imho). Few players are like that and we don't necessarily need one.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Mustafa*

Latendresse is more of a Blake Wheeler than a Lucic if you wanna compare with the Bruins, but Lats is more physical. Lats will always be good along the Boards and that's where he will land his hits, he's not fast enough to open ice hit like Lucic.

And does somebody realy think that he's gonna start fighting goons?

Old
04-13-2009, 09:32 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
He can't even scare kids at mcdonald's manor.
You got the 'You just made me piss in my pants award' for this one!

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Taylorzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I'd take Lucic on my team any day of the week. And the answer to the question is never. They'll be different and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Lats has never played that way and Lucic has always played that way.
Sorry, but after the incident last game I just can't stomach the guy. That and the goofy celebration after the Komi fight.

GO HABS GO!

Taylorzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:49 PM
jcorb58

When will Wayne Gretzky be like Dave Semenko, it is hilarious to think Lats will be the same player as Lucic. Maybe he will be more like Jim Peplinski.

jcorb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
And you seem to forget Kovalev is 36 and our older forward and despite that he is still our best scorer, has the most point this season and last season, and last playoff.

Stop trying to bash Kovalev on every thread. You know deep down inside that Kovalev, the Habs wouldnt make the playoff this season.
You should pay more attention to the point of the thread as opposed to a small detail in it. I will not stop bashing Kovalev because YOU like him, and I'm certainly not bashing him in every thread. YOU, on the other hand, seem to have an obsession every time I mention his name. It's not MY problem but rather YOURS from what I can see.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
You should pay more attention to the point of the thread as opposed to a small detail in it. I will not stop bashing Kovalev because YOU like him, and I'm certainly not bashing him in every thread. YOU, on the other hand, seem to have an obsession every time I mention his name. It's not MY problem but rather YOURS from what I can see.
No, he's right, stop bashing Kovalev...