HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Lucic Myth

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2009, 12:16 AM
  #1
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
The Lucic Myth

All I've seen and heard from Bruin fans for the past week is about how tough Lucic is and how he's such a stand up guy and never cheap shots and will fight any comers.

Well I've just spent 20 minutes on hockeyfight.com having a boo at our mythical figure. What a piece of work. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt cause I don't watch the Bruins unless they're playing us. Maybe he's just an awesome power forward that can fight with the best of them, but BGL is out of his weight class so who can blame??? Nope. He's a punk. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but, man, what a cherry picker.

The majority of his fights are at home and the way the NESN guys call the fights is hilarious, you'd think this guy was landing haymakers against true heavyweights, when in fact he's grabbing Ruutu's sweater holding on for dear life. Chris Neil is the closest to an actual tough guy he's fought this year and Lucy's sweater came over his head just as it was about to get interesting.

As for his tough hitting style. Yikes... alot of his big hits appear to be him as 3rd man in lining up a player otherwise engaged. If the trolls want proof look the Grabo hit.

The guys got great PR I'll give him that but as far as substance it's completely lacking. He's touted as the next Cam Neely, but not even close. I'll give the B's there due though, great hype to get the fans involved.

If he wants any respect here he'll have to drop 'em with a real heavyweight, until then, no luck. I've seen on the B's board some of them actually want him to fight BGL.... Please o please let this happen. Bob please tell BGL it's ok to get the instigator, we can deal with the 2 minutes, this punk will disappear into the sidelines where he belongs.

habfaninvictoria is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:20 AM
  #2
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!
 
TheKingSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
lol Lucic will not fight BGL this year... he maybe as strong as he is, but nowhere near his skill level at fighting.. he's just making his way up the depth charts and eventually he'll take his shot at the reigning champ you'll see... a few more years of seasoning and BGL will not see what hit him once they fight

TheKingSlayer is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:20 AM
  #3
wcb231*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
The only reason Bruins fans want Lucic to fight Laraque is because it means Laraque will actually be dressing, and that means nothing but good things for the Bruins' chances.

wcb231* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:21 AM
  #4
jmiller010
Registered User
 
jmiller010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton Valley, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
All I've seen and heard from Bruin fans for the past week is about how tough Lucic is and how he's such a stand up guy and never cheap shots and will fight any comers.

Well I've just spent 20 minutes on hockeyfight.com having a boo at our mythical figure. What a piece of work. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt cause I don't watch the Bruins unless they're playing us. Maybe he's just an awesome power forward that can fight with the best of them, but BGL is out of his weight class so who can blame??? Nope. He's a punk. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but, man, what a cherry picker.

The majority of his fights are at home and the way the NESN guys call the fights is hilarious, you'd think this guy was landing haymakers against true heavyweights, when in fact he's grabbing Ruutu's sweater holding on for dear life. Chris Neil is the closest to an actual tough guy he's fought this year and Lucy's sweater came over his head just as it was about to get interesting.

As for his tough hitting style. Yikes... alot of his big hits appear to be him as 3rd man in lining up a player otherwise engaged. If the trolls want proof look the Grabo hit.

The guys got great PR I'll give him that but as far as substance it's completely lacking. He's touted as the next Cam Neely, but not even close. I'll give the B's there due though, great hype to get the fans involved.

If he wants any respect here he'll have to drop 'em with a real heavyweight, until then, no luck. I've seen on the B's board some of them actually want him to fight BGL.... Please o please let this happen. Bob please tell BGL it's ok to get the instigator, we can deal with the 2 minutes, this punk will disappear into the sidelines where he belongs.
He isn't the next Cam Neely in terms of fighting because all of the guys who played back then could play hockey and fight...teams like yours who are soft and have no fight hire guys like this who are a liability when it comes to hockey, but can apparently make up for it with their "toughness"...I like how you, the Habs fan, goes and looks at Lucic's clips and suddenly has an "objective" opinion that "oh, he is cheap afterall"

And, stats wise, he's right on pace with Neely after his first 2 seasons, so only time will tell if he is actually the next Cam Neely.

jmiller010 is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:21 AM
  #5
TheRealThornton22
Registered User
 
TheRealThornton22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
First of all what does fighting at home have to do with anything?

Second of all a few hits they throw on hockeyfights.com are not the hits Bruins fans love. He's great at knocking other guys off the puck and feeding it one of the skill guys. He's had a few good hits (putting Van Ryne through the glass)

TheRealThornton22 is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:23 AM
  #6
PJStock42*
 
PJStock42*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC via Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
And this refutes my claim how? All it shows is that he has no class and will take advantage of a situation to inflict injury. He's a punk and you know it, he knows it, and our team knows it and truly there is no fear there.
Yeah that glove burn can end someones career.

PJStock42* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:29 AM
  #7
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Fishing with grenades is illegal you know
Sorry I was under this misguided notion that this was the habs forum. Again though I'd like to hear a reasonable argument from someone that he doesn't pick his spots. Show me a fight where he doesn't have a serious advantage height and weight wise or the opponent is not American or European.

habfaninvictoria is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:32 AM
  #8
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,746
vCash: 500
i have a feeling BGL will teach him an important lesson in game 1 if he steps out of line again. by the way, i think there are way too many lucic threads here.

number 11 is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:33 AM
  #9
PJStock42*
 
PJStock42*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC via Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Sorry I was under this misguided notion that this was the habs forum. Again though I'd like to hear a reasonable argument from someone that he doesn't pick his spots. Show me a fight where he doesn't have a serious advantage height and weight wise or the opponent is not American or European.
Lucic is not the heavyweight enforcer that many Habs fan seem to build him up to be.

Lucic is a 20 year old kid who had more points this year than:

Andrei Kostitsyn
Alex Tanguay
Thomas Plekenac
etc etc (everyone on the Habs except for markov/kovalev/koivu.

of course a skill player is going to pick his spots to fight. Lucic in the box for 5 minutes hurts his team because unlike Laraque, Lucic actually knows how to play hockey and is an offensive threat.

PJStock42* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:34 AM
  #10
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
i have a feeling BGL will teach him an important lesson in game 1 if he steps out of line again.
BGL needs to teach him that lesson from the last game, he already earned the whooping

habfaninvictoria is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:35 AM
  #11
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Sorry I was under this misguided notion that this was the habs forum. Again though I'd like to hear a reasonable argument from someone that he doesn't pick his spots. Show me a fight where he doesn't have a serious advantage height and weight wise or the opponent is not American or European.
But attacking Lucic is not allowed, Habs board or not!!

I agree Lucic is overrated and does pick his spots (most players do however). He's still a reckless monster of a man tho, and we need a nemesis to feel complete inside. He's to Habs fans what Komisarek is to Bruins fans. We hate and despise him yet we'd love to have him on our team so much, just because we wouldn't be pissed off about him. Still, having to face him gives the game more sense and purpose : to kick his ass and see his ugly face when he's sad.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:41 AM
  #12
wcb231*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Sorry I was under this misguided notion that this was the habs forum. Again though I'd like to hear a reasonable argument from someone that he doesn't pick his spots. Show me a fight where he doesn't have a serious advantage height and weight wise or the opponent is not American or European.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO56PaJOj8E

Witt is 2 inches shorter and a bit heavier, didn't pick his spot, and easily won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTPJPcJjiwM

Clarkson asks to go, Lucic obliges.

And what in God's name does being American or European have to do with anything? That just shows your shortsightedness. You're embarassing your fan base

wcb231* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:43 AM
  #13
HamiltonSteelhawks*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Hammer
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I've gone troll fishing and hit the mother load
Well when you claim to have uncovered a myth you better have some strong evidence to back that up. And unfortunately you fell very short. You claim that there is no fear in Looch but you attempting to research his fighting career and reassuring yourself would suggest otherwise.

Laraque is the toughest player in the NHL...cool. Lucic can actually play and he's one of the best hitters in the game. This obsession Habs fans have with Lucic fighting Laraque is irrelevant in the big picture. Lucic is a much much greater help in winning hockey games then Laraque is. The reason everyone wants BGL to fight Lucic so bad is because otherwise he's useless to the Canadians. Why not keep it that way if you're the B's?

Don't make a claim to have uncovered a big myth and then get mad when people start proving you wrong. It's not trolling - it's educating. Lucic is one of the toughest players in the league whether "his jersey was lifted up against Neil" or not.

Here is a complete list of Lucic fights according to HockeyFights.com:


2007-08
Winchester
Ivanans
Tarnasky
Eager
Bell
Clarkson
Boll
Jackman
Erskine
Brookbank
Gleason
Ruuttu
Bradley

2008-09
Komisarek
Boynton
Witt
Boulton
Crombeen
Tim Wallace
Mike Brown
Neil
Orescovic
Melichar
Lapierre


Pretty decent mix of middleweights to heavyweights. But again...irrelevant. Maybe the fact that Looch would have been ranked 4th in goals AND points on the Habs this season is more of a concern?

HamiltonSteelhawks* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:45 AM
  #14
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock42 View Post
Lucic is not the heavyweight enforcer that many Habs fan seem to build him up to be.

Lucic is a 20 year old kid who had more points this year than:

Andrei Kostitsyn
Alex Tanguay
Thomas Plekenac
etc etc (everyone on the Habs except for markov/kovalev/koivu.

of course a skill player is going to pick his spots to fight. Lucic in the box for 5 minutes hurts his team because unlike Laraque, Lucic actually knows how to play hockey and is an offensive threat.
Thanks for admitting he picks his spots. Skill players don't generally fight and for good reason, you're correct, but they also don't run off at the mouth about how tough they are for beating up the Ruutus of the world. BTW Lucic is not skilled. Helen Keller could get 50 points on a line with Savard.

habfaninvictoria is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:45 AM
  #15
PJStock42*
 
PJStock42*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC via Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonSteelhawks View Post
Well when you claim to have uncovered a myth you better have some strong evidence to back that up. And unfortunately you fell very short. You claim that there is no fear in Looch but you attempting to research his fighting career and reassuring yourself would suggest otherwise.

Laraque is the toughest player in the NHL...cool. Lucic can actually play and he's one of the best hitters in the game. This obsession Habs fans have with Lucic fighting Laraque is irrelevant in the big picture. Lucic is a much much greater help in winning hockey games then Laraque is. The reason everyone wants BGL to fight Lucic so bad is because otherwise he's useless to the Canadians. Why not keep it that way if you're the B's?

Don't make a claim to have uncovered a big myth and then get mad when people start proving you wrong. It's not trolling - it's educating. Lucic is one of the toughest players in the league whether "his jersey was lifted up against Neil" or not.

Here is a complete list of Lucic fights according to HockeyFights.com:


2007-08
Winchester
Ivanans
Tarnasky
Eager
Bell
Clarkson
Boll
Jackman
Erskine
Brookbank
Gleason
Ruuttu
Bradley

2008-09
Komisarek
Boynton
Witt
Boulton
Crombeen
Tim Wallace
Mike Brown
Neil
Orescovic
Melichar
Lapierre


Pretty decent mix of middleweights to heavyweights. But again...irrelevant. Maybe the fact that Looch would have been ranked 4th in goals AND points on the Habs this season is more of a concern?
ding ding ding

PJStock42* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:47 AM
  #16
PJStock42*
 
PJStock42*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC via Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Thanks for admitting he picks his spots. Skill players don't generally fight and for good reason, you're correct, but they also don't run off at the mouth about how tough they are for beating up the Ruutus of the world. BTW Lucic is not skilled. Helen Keller could get 50 points on a line with Savard.
When have you ever heard Lucic bragging about how tough he is?

If anyone "brags" about his toughness, its the fans.

Im looking at this objectively, honestly. Lucic is an offensively skilled player who isnt afraid to fight, he is not an enforcer whose job is to tangle with the Laraques of the NHL.

PJStock42* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:48 AM
  #17
Max et Guillaume
Registered User
 
Max et Guillaume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
I think the main thing here though is that Lucic has a very, very short temper... I don't think anyone will argue here. What he did to Komisarek, pulling him from behind as the 3rd man in, would've resulted in a suspension if it wasn't so close to the playoffs.

Laraque's strategy will be to get under Lucic's skin, to distract him, and hopefully, yes kick his ass because that would be sweet to watch. Lucic is an emotional player, if Laraque (and Komi) play their card's right, they will make him go crazy and he will be an absolute non-factor in this series. Blame his short temper on immaturity or personality, doesn't really matter... point is, he's way too emotional for his own good... which is to our advantage.

Max et Guillaume is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:51 AM
  #18
wcb231*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road for the 25th View Post
I think the main thing here though is that Lucic has a very, very short temper... I don't think anyone will argue here. What he did to Komisarek, pulling him from behind as the 3rd man in, would've resulted in a suspension if it wasn't so close to the playoffs.

Laraque's strategy will be to get under Lucic's skin, to distract him, and hopefully, yes kick his ass because that would be sweet to watch. Lucic is an emotional player, if Laraque (and Komi) play their card's right, they will make him go crazy and he will be an absolute non-factor in this series. Blame his short temper on immaturity or personality, doesn't really matter...
What you people fail to realize is that Laraque will have to be on the ice with a line trying to defend the likely line of Marc Savard and Phil Kessel, or Michael Ryder and David Krejci. Since Laraque as a hockey player is incompetent, how does this favor Montreal?

wcb231* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:52 AM
  #19
SakuKovalev
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock42 View Post
When have you ever heard Lucic bragging about how tough he is?

If anyone "brags" about his toughness, its the fans.

Im looking at this objectively, honestly. Lucic is an offensively skilled player who isnt afraid to fight, he is not an enforcer whose job is to tangle with the Laraques of the NHL.
when he was acting like a clown after his fight against komisarek

SakuKovalev is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:52 AM
  #20
PJStock42*
 
PJStock42*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC via Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road for the 25th View Post
I think the main thing here though is that Lucic has a very, very short temper... I don't think anyone will argue here. What he did to Komisarek, pulling him from behind as the 3rd man in, would've resulted in a suspension if it wasn't so close to the playoffs.

Laraque's strategy will be to get under Lucic's skin, to distract him, and hopefully, yes kick his ass because that would be sweet to watch. Lucic is an emotional player, if Laraque (and Komi) play their card's right, they will make him go crazy and he will be an absolute non-factor in this series. Blame his short temper on immaturity or personality, doesn't really matter...
I agree about what he did to Komisarek on Thurs being wrong and I do think he has a short temper. However, I think with proper coaching he's able to put it past him. In the 3rd period on Thurs you could tell there were many times when he held up on checks/getting involed (IMO).

I really dont see Laraque being a factor because Laraque is a smart guy and not dirty at all. The type of stuff that Sean Avery/Mike Komisarek does is what sets Looch off, but Laraque plays too clean and without that edge to make Lucic react (especially in the playoffs).

PJStock42* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:53 AM
  #21
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
He isn't the next Cam Neely in terms of fighting because all of the guys who played back then could play hockey and fight...teams like yours who are soft and have no fight hire guys like this who are a liability when it comes to hockey, but can apparently make up for it with their "toughness"...I like how you, the Habs fan, goes and looks at Lucic's clips and suddenly has an "objective" opinion that "oh, he is cheap afterall"

And, stats wise, he's right on pace with Neely after his first 2 seasons, so only time will tell if he is actually the next Cam Neely.
Actually, Stat wise, he's behind Neely.
Two first seasons combined:
Neely 128GP 37G 70pts
Lucic 149GP 25G 69pts

Lucic had a great 2nd season though, I'll admit that. But I strongly doubt he'll ever reach 50 or 40G. His peak IMO is at 30ish G. But to reach that total, he'll have to focus more on his skills than his tough guy image.

Since you seem to know so much about our team, could you tell me who's soft exactly on our team?..
Koivu?..No.
Kovalev?..No.
Kostopoulos?..No.
Lapierre?..No.
Higgins?..No.
Tanguay?..Although some question it, he was crucial to the Avs for their cup run.
Latendresse?..No.
Metropolit?..You know he's not.
Laraque?..No.
A.Kost?..Ask Chara that. (don't confuse inconsistency with softness)
Komisarek?..No.
Markov?..No.
Hamrlik?..No.
Gorges?..No.
Schneider?..No.
Dandenault?..No.
Bouillon?..No.

The only questionable ones would be Plekanec and our youngsters such as D'Ago and Weber but that's because they're young. We also don't know how they'll perform in POs seeing they don't have any experience. On D, Breezer and O'Byrne, but they might not even play.
But what's your definition of softness?..It's not because you don't deliver bone crushing hits that you're soft.

I'm sure I can name a few players on the Bruins that are as soft as some of ours.

People were saying Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfredsson are all soft. They all realized how wrong they were.

We don't have a soft team, that's a myth.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:53 AM
  #22
PJStock42*
 
PJStock42*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC via Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailGrabovski View Post
when he was acting like a clown after his fight against komisarek
He definitely went over the top but you need to realize that it was a 20 year old kid who just dominated an established NHL agitator on home ice, I'm pretty sure anyone would be pumped after that.

PJStock42* is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:56 AM
  #23
Max et Guillaume
Registered User
 
Max et Guillaume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb231 View Post
What you people fail to realize is that Laraque will have to be on the ice with a line trying to defend the likely line of Marc Savard and Phil Kessel, or Michael Ryder and David Krejci. Since Laraque as a hockey player is incompetent, how does this favor Montreal?
I'm not suggesting he shadows him the entire time, but if used properly this is, IMO, something we should use at our advantage...

Max et Guillaume is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:59 AM
  #24
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock42 View Post
He definitely went over the top but you need to realize that it was a 20 year old kid who just dominated an established NHL agitator on home ice, I'm pretty sure anyone would be pumped after that.
Didn't realize Komi was an established agitator. He's aggressive in his own zone defending his net. If it agitates you to be near our net don't go there other wise quit whining.

habfaninvictoria is offline  
Old
04-14-2009, 12:59 AM
  #25
Max et Guillaume
Registered User
 
Max et Guillaume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock42 View Post
I agree about what he did to Komisarek on Thurs being wrong and I do think he has a short temper. However, I think with proper coaching he's able to put it past him. In the 3rd period on Thurs you could tell there were many times when he held up on checks/getting involed (IMO).

I really dont see Laraque being a factor because Laraque is a smart guy and not dirty at all. The type of stuff that Sean Avery/Mike Komisarek does is what sets Looch off, but Laraque plays too clean and without that edge to make Lucic react (especially in the playoffs).
But knowing Laraque is following your every steps for a shift or two per period will definitely impact your focus on the game. It worked (partially) this year already. Again, this all depends how well Gainey can apply this, if he chooses to go down that road. I know I would.

Max et Guillaume is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.