HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will Latendresse become a Milan Lucic?

Old
04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
saints96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
??? Lats has way more skills than Lucic, way better hands and goal scoring abilities. Lucic is a freak of nature, for his age to have that balance and skating is something special which makes him more effective than Lats right now but hes not the most talented guy outhere. Something tells me that this series will be Lats coming out party...
are you serious??????

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
habfaninvictoria

Lats came to the NHL too early and that has been discussed to death here, it was what it was.

Today however he is a valuable part of the team. He and Lappy have good chemistry together. Laps makes up for Lats lack of speed and Lats plays decent positional hockey allowing Laps to run around a bit. They cycle the puck well and both have enough skill to put the puck in the net.

As for the OP and when Lats will become Lucic. Never I hope. Lucic has not respect for anyone and eventually that will do him in. Lats, from what I've seen lately, has a nose for the net and is using his size more effectively. I think Lats could be a decent fighter but I think he's got some concussion history that prevents him from going for it. The only way Lucic will score regularly is through threat and intimidation, which is effective, but lets not confuse that with skill. Lats has more, the shame is that I wish he would play more passionately, which would turn him into a truly scary asset. I'll be happy if he turns into a regular 25 goal man on the third line, which is most likely where he'll end up. Why try and turn him into a 1st line guy when he's better suited to this role.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
are you serious??????
Yes i am, and i know how much you hate Lats also...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
saints96

Quote:
Yes i am, and i know how much you hate Lats also...
yes i do and i understand u love him but open your eyes, if you honestly think he has more talent than lucic, your on some good drugs.. share some please

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Tray4Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
And if we wouldn't have we would have no upcoming center for the team.
If we're counting on Ben Maxwell to come up to our club and be a top 2-line Center, we're in huge trouble.

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
How can you say that. Lucic is a better player now and he's younger than Lats. Gui is an average 3rd liner who'll look good when he plays with sparkplugs like LAPPY & kosto.
Lats is 1year older and unlike Lucic, he jumped from Juniors to NHL.
I think we can all agree that Lats probably would have benefited from 1-2 in AHL before coming up. But too late for that and he's progressed a great deal this season becoming a valuable player on the third line.

Cam Neely that defined what a Power Forward is, had 34pts in his 3rd NHL season. At that time, he only had 5 more Goals than Lats while having played a few less games.

I'm not saying Lats will ever score 50ish goals. But if he keeps progressing and trains hard again over the summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fill a more offensive role next year on the top 2lines with some PP time.

46G over 3years, starting at 18, with minimal ice time and almost no PP time is pretty decent.
We know he can be effective with top liners as he's shown with Koivu more than once.

Latendresse once into his groove, will be a better player than Lucic offensively. That doesn't mean that I'd take Lats over Lucic today.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
yes i do and i understand u love him but open your eyes, if you honestly think he was more talent than lucic, your on some good drugs.. share some please
Ok simple stat:

Lucic: 72 games 17 goals
Latendresse: 56 games 14 goals

-Lucic gets PP time, plays on a top line with top line mins on the best team in the East

-Latendresse gets almost no PP time and plays on a third line with low mins

Dont mix mean streak and size with skills
Skills alone, I take Latendresse but Lucic is a more complete player.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
yes i do and i understand u love him but open your eyes, if you honestly think he has more talent than lucic, your on some good drugs.. share some please
Lucic is faster, stronger and more feisty.
But Lats has more offensive upside. He has better hands, and is becoming as effective as anybody can be at protecting the puck along the boards. Their shot is pretty similar but Lats has better vision.
Gui has also grown leaps in terms of his defensive coverage.

Gui will really start to shine in the next couple years if he keeps training hard during off seasons.

Old
04-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveFor25IsAlive View Post
If we're counting on Ben Maxwell to come up to our club and be a top 2-line Center, we're in huge trouble.
Why so? Because we are actualy counting on him. I think he's a great hockey player, and a second round steal.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Corey

Quote:
I'm not so sure Maxwell is the Habs' upcoming centre. If he is, it's by default because Timmins has shown a penchant for drafting Dmen in the first round. Who knows, maybe this time he'll draft a centre who's better than Maxwell. In the meantime, Lucic has had a couple of NHL seasons under his belt and he's a regular. No one would dispute that the Habs could have used him.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Lucic is faster, stronger and more feisty.
But Lats has more offensive upside. He has better hands, and is becoming as effective as anybody can be at protecting the puck along the boards. Their shot is pretty similar but Lats has better vision.
Gui has also grown leaps in terms of his defensive coverage.

Gui will really start to shine in the next couple years if he keeps training hard during off seasons.
Lucic being more faster, stronger and more fiesty makes him a beter hockey player than Lats at a younger age. I Still believe Lats have a higher ceiling regarding offensive skills (good passer and good slapper), but to be realistic Lucic will be a better player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I'm not so sure Maxwell is the Habs' upcoming centre. If he is, it's by default because Timmins has shown a penchant for drafting Dmen in the first round. Who knows, maybe this time he'll draft a centre who's better than Maxwell. In the meantime, Lucic has had a couple of NHL seasons under his belt and he's a regular. No one would dispute that the Habs could have used him.
Maxwell is the Hab upcoming center and he was brilliant in his first pro year. This guy had his developpement slowed down because of injury. Would i trade him for Lucic? Yes, for sure. But his position (center) makes him a lot more valuable than just the trade of numbers with Lucic.

Maxwell is great.

Old
04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think most of us are happy with Lats' progress this year. He seems to be playing better day by day. Its a slow progress but its there for sure.

I do agree though that I'd like to see him play with more of an edge. I don't ever think he'll become the power forward that we all were hoping he'd become but we have to remember that he's still just a kid.

Playing more physical would be nice though.
good post ...

I like the fact that he still has a physical presence, but he's never targeted by the other team cuz his hits are clean ... see I don't want him to become a guy like lucic ... or avery ...

he's fine the way he is and his improvements are making him a threat around the net everyday , which is what this team needs ; a 3rd line that can post points 5 on 5. they are arguably our best 5 on 5 line this season ... in terms of consistency.

I was really worried with lats, but whatever it was (becoming a father? wedding? ) he looks like a guy who has matured a lot, unlike most of our young guns.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Corey

Quote:

As for a comparison between Lucic and Latendresse, I'd say Lats will never be that kind of player. Lucic was the prototypical Lucic as soon as he came up. Latendresse would have to metamorphose into a Lucic type, and that would take years if it could happen at all.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Next Best Thing*

Why are so many people bad mouthing Latendresse?

He was pretty awesome this year for us, overall I am very satisfied with him. Looking forward to seeing him continue this trend in the playoffs.

Last edited by Next Best Thing*: 04-14-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:51 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Lats is 1year older and unlike Lucic, he jumped from Juniors to NHL.
I think we can all agree that Lats probably would have benefited from 1-2 in AHL before coming up. But too late for that and he's progressed a great deal this season becoming a valuable player on the third line.

Cam Neely that defined what a Power Forward is, had 34pts in his 3rd NHL season. At that time, he only had 5 more Goals than Lats while having played a few less games.

I'm not saying Lats will ever score 50ish goals. But if he keeps progressing and trains hard again over the summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fill a more offensive role next year on the top 2lines with some PP time.

46G over 3years, starting at 18, with minimal ice time and almost no PP time is pretty decent.
We know he can be effective with top liners as he's shown with Koivu more than once.

Latendresse once into his groove, will be a better player than Lucic offensively. That doesn't mean that I'd take Lats over Lucic today.
Didn't Lucic go right from Vancover (WHL) to Boston at the age of 19??

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
-Lucic gets PP time, plays on a top line with top line mins on the best team in the East

-Latendresse gets almost no PP time and plays on a third line with low mins
Just wanted to clear up a couple things:

Lucic has played on every line this year but yes he has played mostly on the top line with Savard and Kessel (70% of his ES time)

Lucic gets almost the same amount of PP time (1:39) as Latendresse (1:31), which is mostly with the 2nd unit.

Carry on.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
CarrePrisme

Latendresse is way too nice to ever look like Lucic.

I remember when he fought that guy from Buffalo (I think?)

"I didn't want to hurt him!"

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Lucic being more faster, stronger and more fiesty makes him a beter hockey player than Lats at a younger age. I Still believe Lats have a higher ceiling regarding offensive skills (good passer and good slapper), but to be realistic Lucic will be a better player.
Will be a better player?..I don't know, it all depends how they develop.
Is he a better player today?..Yes.

I think somebody with more offensive upside has more potential. Therefore, he could very well become the better player.
In the end, it all comes down to how they'll grow as players and keep training in the off seasons.

Old
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd View Post
Latendresse and Lucic are not even remotely similar in character, style or skill.
Almost like asking when Streit will be like Komisarek!

Apart from solid built, Lats will continue as a third or fourth liner, effective but not a consistent game changer.

That's funny because when Lats plays with Kostopoulos and Lapierre,they are our #2 line. When somebost else plays there the offense disapears and they are a 3rd or 4th line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Next Best Thing*

I just want to add that Lucic and Latendresse are totally different players. One is about toughness and overpowering, the other big body'd finesse scorer that can lay a hit. Don't compare them plz thx.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Didn't Lucic go right from Vancover (WHL) to Boston at the age of 19??
Yes, he did. My bad.

Old
04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveFor25IsAlive View Post
Why would having Ben Maxwell on our top 2 lines be such a bad thing? I'm not expecting it next year, but in 2 years I expect him to be a 2nd line calibre NHLer at 22/23.

Old
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
x-bob

Latendresse and Lucic are two completely different types of players. Lucic is much more aggressive but, even though he has a decent offensive potential, I believe that Latendresse can reach higher totals then him.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Maxwell is the Hab upcoming center and he was brilliant in his first pro year. This guy had his developpement slowed down because of injury. Would i trade him for Lucic? Yes, for sure. But his position (center) makes him a lot more valuable than just the trade of numbers with Lucic.

Maxwell is great.
Lucic is faster but Lats is bigger(225-230lbs) and stronger, have ytou seen big NHL d-men try to knock him off the puck lately? Lucic hits hard because he skates faster.

In terms of style, I'd compare Lapierre to Lucic before Lats(minus the fights). Lapierre is the better skater and has stiffer hands.

Old
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Lucic is faster but Lats is bigger(225-230lbs) and stronger, have ytou seen big NHL d-men try to knock him off the puck lately? Lucic hits hard because he skates faster.

In terms of style, I'd compare Lapierre to Lucic before Lats(minus the fights). Lapierre is the better skater and has stiffer hands.
Also at this moment both Lapierre and Lucic have a more accurate shot.