HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins fans' overconfidence / Comparison with 2001-02 playoffs

Old
04-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
You know, let's be more sympathethic toward the Bruins fans.

Most of them know/feel/fear the fact that they have about 2 days left for bragging and try to make the most out of it.

Things are going to get ugly for them starting Friday morning

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
All Right Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
You know, let's be more sympathethic toward the Bruins fans.

Most of them know/feel/fear the fact that they have about 2 days left for bragging and try to make the most out of it.

Things are going to get ugly for them starting Friday morning
Now there's an insightful (or is it inciteful??) post. Way to go, NEWhab, someone comes here to really discuss hockey and you bring it back down to it's lowest levels.

Congrats.

All Right Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I'm not stupid enough to think this is a 4 or 5 game series, but I do think the Bruins win in 7.

My thinking.

1. Last year, we played you guys tight through six games, and then crapped the bed game 7. We had Kessel on the bench three games and no Bergeron or Kobasew.

2. Habs health/status. No Lang or Markov (hopefully). Two difference makers that seriously even the talent gap IMO. Also, you guys have a heck of alot of UFA's...I think that weighs on a guy IMO. It's in the back of his mind IMO and a distraction...seemed to happen with the 04 Bruins who lost almost everyone after the lockout.

3. Bruins health/personnel. Chara is healthy. Was nowhere near the player he was capable of being last year.

Players in: Bergeron, Kobasew, Wheeler, Ryder, Yelle, Recchi.
Players out: Metropolit, Nokelainen, Schaefer, Murray, Sobotka, Sturm.

Big talent upgrade in players over last year. Losing Sturm sucks, but Recchi has 11 goals since the deadline.

4. Confidence. This is for the players. I really think the Bruins feel like they are going to win, and are able to win. Can't say the same about the 02 and 04 teams, who fell apart after the McLaren incident and the game 5 destruction at home vs Raycroft and co.

Again, this is seven games IMO. Throw the records out. I don't have that "playing the Habs pressure on my chest" like I did the previous three times....which I know means nothing...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rician blast View Post
Now there's an insightful (or is it inciteful??) post. Way to go, NEWhab, someone comes here to really discuss hockey and you bring it back down to it's lowest levels.

Congrats.
First let's clear things - You are two months NEWER then me on this boards. Not that it matters in any way though.

And yes - I am NEW to Hockey - but what got me hooked into it were the 2001-2002 series against Boston. And being new doesn't mean my points of view are not valid anyways.

Second - the title of the thread is "Bruins fans overconfidence" - I fail to see why my post is out of topic - in fact talks about hockey are actually out of topic in this particular thread.

To rephrase my post - overconfident claims and excesive bragging always hide one thing - insecurity. You need to endlessly repeat that you will win mostly because deep down you fear you won't. That's all.

Old
04-14-2009, 02:24 PM
All Right Hamilton

Quote:
You need to endlessly repeat that you will win mostly because deep down you fear you won't. That's all.
Show me where I stated that the Bruins would win, repeatedly or otherwise.

Old
04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:

Congrats.
Hey, c'mon. The lowest level was your Sean Avery comparison. He's reviled around the league for his actions. The Habs are not Sean Avery.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Show me where I stated that the Bruins would win, repeatedly or otherwise.
Show me where I was talking about you or your posts in my own (before you started of course).

And don't tell me the Bruins fans on the Bruins boards do not claim they win, repeatedly or otherwise. The whole thread started because of this.

P.S Just in case - the "you" I used was a "general you". Kinda like saying "one needs to...".

Old
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
All Right Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone View Post
Hey, c'mon. The lowest level was your Sean Avery comparison. He's reviled around the league for his actions. The Habs are not Sean Avery.
Wow, that stirred the pot, huh. OK, I do apologize for that shot and it was offbase...I was just trying to say that if I'm the Canadiens and knowing how Chara and Lucic can lose their cool, I'd torment those guys into bad penalties, that's all.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 04-14-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: circumvention deleted
Old
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
We were 5-0-1 before the Markov injury. I wonder how the Bruins would've managed the last 4 games without Chara.

I have no doubt that the Habs will be back to the 5-0-1 form when Markov comes back. They were playing extremely well before Markov was injured, and I was expecting bigger defeats when he wasn't there. .
5-0-1 was against:

Tampa, NYI, Chicago, Buffalo, Atlanta, Toronto. So one playoff team. I don't think that's too much to celebrate.

And you mentioned not having Chara for the last 4. Actually we sat him for the last 2 to rest him. And against you guys we sat Wideman (our Schneider), Ference, and Axe.

My point is that if Markov doesn't play in this series, I can't see you having enough horses. I REALLY hope he does play, because if we won and he didn't, that will be the excuse all year. "Oh if Markov had played".

Honestly I hope Markov and Schneider both play to their potential, it would make for a super series.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
All Right Hamilton

Quote:
And don't tell me the Bruins fans on the Bruins boards do not claim they win, repeatedly or otherwise. The whole thread started because of this.
I think I've acknowledged that fact and the fact that those claiming this is some kind of easy series likely are not true, knowledgable fans.

Hmmm, since you posted this:

"You know, let's be more sympathethic toward the Bruins fans. Most of them know/feel/fear the fact that they have about 2 days left for bragging and try to make the most out of it. Things are going to get ugly for them starting Friday morning"...

Does that mean you fall into the same category, just with a different alliance?

If you look at either team's fanbase and their posts I think there are quite a few on both sides that are overcondident, or stirring the pot or looking for attention or are just idiots.

When you think about it it's amazing how many threads are based not on these teams, the series and playoff hopes but are more or less based on these peripheral issues and who's fans are saying what. This thread is an example of that.

So go ahead and focus on what the B's fans are saying or their supposed over-confidence (remember they don't speak for all B's fans) and I'll go back to talking hockey...we all have our place I guess. Enjoy.

Old
04-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
I think I've acknowledged that fact and the fact that those claiming this is some kind of easy series likely are not true, knowledgable fans.

Hmmm, since you posted this:

"You know, let's be more sympathethic toward the Bruins fans. Most of them know/feel/fear the fact that they have about 2 days left for bragging and try to make the most out of it. Things are going to get ugly for them starting Friday morning"...

Does that mean you fall into the same category, just with a different alliance?

If you look at either team's fanbase and their posts I think there are quite a few on both sides that are overcondident, or stirring the pot or looking for attention or are just idiots.

When you think about it it's amazing how many threads are based not on these teams, the series and playoff hopes but are more or less based on these peripheral issues and who's fans are saying what. This thread is an example of that.

So go ahead and focus on what the B's fans are saying or their supposed over-confidence (remember they don't speak for all B's fans) and I'll go back to talking hockey...we all have our place I guess. Enjoy.

Actually no - I do not feel insecure because I have no reason to feel confident. We, the habs have almost nothing to lose in this series.

Using my reasoning I estimate our chances of winning this series at a roughly 10-20%. And I'm sure you will agree with me on that. It's just that in my book being a fan means cheering for your team even against the odds.

Add to that that I'll be there Monday night for my first Habs game EVER at the Bell Centre !!!! and that I will yell GO HABS GO till I lose my voice regardless if the Bruins lead 5-0 and 2-0 in the series and you will understand.

Anyway I agree we both said all we had to say. Cheers.

Old
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
DrMailloux

They are definatly overconfident, the Habs are a way better team than they showed and in the playoff, its all about momentum, trust me, all we need is a win or two and they will start crying and choking .

We have their numbers, and they know it, they are going down !

Well at least as long as Jesus Price stops the damn puck.

Seriously, im not saying its going to be easy, but it won't be easyer for them thats for sure... yes they won 5 out of 6 games this season but how much were won in overtime ? I think we have a pretty even matchup.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
All Right Hamilton

Quote:
Using my reasoning I estimate our chances of winning this series at a roughly 10-20%. And I'm sure you will agree with me on that. It's just that in my book being a fan means cheering for your team even against the odds.
Good enough, I agree we've said our peace.

As for the Habs chances...I've watched B's-Habs games for many years...the late 1970's series were gut-wrenching...and B's fans can NEVER count the Canadiens out. While I think the Bruins have the better team I'm still not 100% confident that Thomas will play great in the biggest games and I fear that the Bruins can be sucked into bad penalties. I'm not putting a % on it, but I think this will be a very, very tough series and go 6 or 7 games.

Old
04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
RonFournier

Wooo, I didn't know until 5 minutes ago that Tim Thomas has NEVER won a playoff round!!??
Oh my dog, that gives you hope...

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:13 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
1.We didn't have koivu til game 6

2.Or they will play their ***** off for a contract never know how some people will deal with it, gotta wait and see. Markov will be back at some point but i don't expect to see lang

4.I guess you never know what will happen in a series to change momentum, like when the canes took koivu out and we fell apart. **** happens but i'm sure this will be a great series like always. It all comes down to the goalies i think. I look forward to watching this hope it lives up to the hype it has had every other year. Good luck

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
All Right Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
Wooo, I didn't know until 5 minutes ago that Tim Thomas has NEVER won a playoff round!!??
^this scares me as a Bruins fan.

Old
04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
5-0-1 was against:

Tampa, NYI, Chicago, Buffalo, Atlanta, Toronto. So one playoff team. I don't think that's too much to celebrate.

And you mentioned not having Chara for the last 4. Actually we sat him for the last 2 to rest him. And against you guys we sat Wideman (our Schneider), Ference, and Axe.

My point is that if Markov doesn't play in this series, I can't see you having enough horses. I REALLY hope he does play, because if we won and he didn't, that will be the excuse all year. "Oh if Markov had played".

Honestly I hope Markov and Schneider both play to their potential, it would make for a super series.
Funny thing is the bottom feeder teams are our kryptonite. I agree if we have no markov i don't see us having a realistic chance to win this series our defense is horrible without him and we have no replacement for him except maybe o'byrne

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
1.We didn't have koivu til game 6

2.Or they will play their ***** off for a contract never know how some people will deal with it, gotta wait and see. Markov will be back at some point but i don't expect to see lang

4.I guess you never know what will happen in a series to change momentum, like when the canes took koivu out and we fell apart. **** happens but i'm sure this will be a great series like always. It all comes down to the goalies i think. I look forward to watching this hope it lives up to the hype it has had every other year. Good luck
AS to you my friend.....I'm sure we'll all need some Pepto-Bismol for the next couple weeks...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
ForzaAzzurri

Quote:
^this scares me as a Bruins fan.
There's a first time for everything.

Having said that...I don't think this will be a walk in the park for boston. Should be another great series.

ForzaAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:

Congrats.
I don't really know the context that inspired this, but that is some excellent word play!

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
AS to you my friend.....I'm sure we'll all need some Pepto-Bismol for the next couple weeks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaAzzurri View Post
There's a first time for everything.

Having said that...I don't think this will be a walk in the park for boston. Should be another great series.
I agree with both of you. It should be a great series, and I do think we'll all need some Pepto-Bismol.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
m00ks

Alright. I'm pumped. I wasn't optimistic but more and more I like our chances. If there's one team that will make us dig deep and make us pour very last ounce of effort, it'll be the Ruins.

I like Bob behind the bench.
I like the spotlight on Tim Thomas.
I like the underdog role.
I like two of our playoff horses on the same line.

It's hyped. I want to taste Bruin tears. Always so sweet.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
Carey Price has only won one NHL playoff round. This is a wash at best. Some Habs fans think that Thomas' lack of playoff experience is a huge benefit to the Canadiens, but Price has won a grand total of one series in his career. This will be a series determined by goaltending, but I think this is definitely up for grabs.

Bruins4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Habarazzi

Apparently, it's not only Bruins fans that think this will be a walk in the park as someone said .... every analyst is dumping on the Canadiens saying they have no chance at all ----- as if this is the biggest mis-match in playoff history - NO JOKE

Currently I'm watching the MSG playoff preview show and they were practically laughing at the Canadiens when they did the preview of that series.
I'm sure the TSN show won't be any different

If I was Canadiens coaching staff and wanted a little help on the motivation side, I'd have the players read and watch what the so-called "experts are saying about them & theur chances in this series. ...... they might as well not show up, it'll be a massacre.

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
As a Bruins fan I cringe at every thread displaying the overconfidance of the fans over on our board. I'm extremely anxious about this series.
The playoffs are a whole new season as last years round showed everyone after the many many games that the Habs dominated the B's.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote