HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev Question

Old
04-14-2009, 04:51 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
Kovalev Question

I have a question that I imagine only you guys could answer. I remember reading on here some time ago that in that 2004 playoffs, where Travis Green slashed Kovalev and he bumped into Souray, etc., that Kovalev was actually legitimately injured on that play. Any truth to it? It's to settle a bet.

And for those thinking I might be trolling, far from it. Kovalev is one of my favorite players in the game, and when that play came up, I defended Kovalev, mentioning how Souray made a pretty dumb move on that play(which is how I saw it), and had he been in better position that goal doesn't happen. Anyway, can someone help a brother out?

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 04:55 AM
SakuKovalev

As far as I recall, Kovalev wasn't actually injured. The slash did hurt him, he wasn't trying to draw a penalty or anything. But he gave up on the play, which led to the goal after he bumped Souray.

SakuKovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I do remember kovalev only shaking hands with the bruins with his left hand at the end of the series.

Unless you consider than an act (I doubt he would go that far), I'd say he was legitimately injured.

There's really no way you can get 100% proof on this though... its not like a player is going to admit to embellishing or faking.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 08:26 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
I have a question that I imagine only you guys could answer. I remember reading on here some time ago that in that 2004 playoffs, where Travis Green slashed Kovalev and he bumped into Souray, etc., that Kovalev was actually legitimately injured on that play. Any truth to it? It's to settle a bet.

And for those thinking I might be trolling, far from it. Kovalev is one of my favorite players in the game, and when that play came up, I defended Kovalev, mentioning how Souray made a pretty dumb move on that play(which is how I saw it), and had he been in better position that goal doesn't happen. Anyway, can someone help a brother out?
I remember that when the media interviewed them the next day he had his hand/thumb taped up. I don't recall if they explicitly said what the injury was, but I'd say he in fact did get hurt on the play.

Last edited by danboulie: 04-14-2009 at 12:35 PM.
danboulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Belso

I was at that game... It was soooo sad to watch....

Let's the season is saturated in drama and the play-offs will go smooth...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
TheCH*

He could still play on it and played a huge roll in the habs winning that series, but yes he did legitimately get hurt. The camera zoomed in on his hand(i believe when he was getting ready in the dressing room before the next game) and there was a big nasty bruise on it.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 11:46 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

This whole incident made me so mad. Kovy took a lot of heat for giving up on the play but it was a pretty vicious slash to the hand by Green. I was upset that Souray threw Alex under the bus for the play in an interveiw after the game but it was just a perfect storm of errors that led to the overtime goal.

I remember fuming when Ron McLean mentioned all the "actors" on Montreal at the NHL awards, Ribeiro I understood, but the Kovy bashing on this play was way off base and should have been a penalty in the first place.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Coldplay
Courage

It wasn't Kovy's fault...entirely.

He got injured there no doubt, but he should've maybe got out of the way and let Souray take him down. And Sheldon shouldn't have thrown him in the fire like that either.

In the end they were both to blame, and as I recall, Souray and Kovalev always disliked each other for some reason.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
This whole incident made me so mad. Kovy took a lot of heat for giving up on the play but it was a pretty vicious slash to the hand by Green. I was upset that Souray threw Alex under the bus for the play in an interveiw after the game but it was just a perfect storm of errors that led to the overtime goal.

I remember fuming when Ron McLean mentioned all the "actors" on Montreal at the NHL awards, Ribeiro I understood, but the Kovy bashing on this play was way off base and should have been a penalty in the first place.
Souray was wrong to do what he did to a teammate, especially a veteran NHLer like that.

BTW, I have never EVER heard Kovy do anything similar to another Hab.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post

What Souray said afterwards was horrible. You don't say things liek that about your teammates. Not publically, at least.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
neofury*

I'd say he got hurt on the play and no amount of "not giving up on the play" would've change the outcome imo. (Due to the pain even if he tried to make it back the initial slash is what stopped him)

Personally I don't think he faked at all. If you watch the video it's a clear as day slash directly inside the glove.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:51 PM
habfaninvictoria

I remember being pissed at Green, the refs and Kovalev, in that order. Kovalev is a proven playoff performer, but he learned something that game, and I don't think he's done it since. Souray is in Edmonton and that's all I need to know about his relationship with Kovalev. Kovalev frustrates me but.... he is the most talented player BY FAR in this series and has the ability to singlehandedly change the outcome of the game.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Souray was wrong to do what he did to a teammate, especially a veteran NHLer like that.

Kovy is a good guy and Souray is a jack ass. I'm actually happy Sheldon "get beat 1 on 1 everytime" Souray is gone.

Sorry I don't feel 6 million is worth it for a defensive liability unless they can consistently put out 70pts and stay max a -10 as well.

Furthermore he's like a #9 d-man defensively, he's just lucky he's a bit of an enforcer and he can shoot. Take away his shot and he's among the most useless players in the NHL.

Leave it to a guy who had 1 good season (at that point) to start talking **** about a guy who has had many and who took an obvious cheap shot slash in the first place.

Souray pisses me off, friggin ******, Kovalev is awesome and Souray just couldn't handle the fact that he blew it.

Old
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50

Seriously, what the hell was Souray doing?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:57 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
What the hell was the maker of the video thinking... he puts a ****tier quality version of the same thing in there twice.

Old
04-14-2009, 03:47 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

Well, there were the criticisms of the coach favouring Quebec players such as Lapierre and Latendresse to the Russian media a couple of years ago. I don't know if he mentioned them by name, so perhaps it's not the same thing.

Was Kovalev hurt? I don't know, we'll really never know since no one would admit to faking. He obviously was slashed fairly hard, it was a play that could have been called. His reaction though was laughably over the top, it's not like that injury was serious enough to prevent him from playing any of the next game, and then of course he took his teammate out of the play, which was completely ********.

And as for what Souray does, obviously he was rushing back to the Habs zone, and Kovalev clearly skated into his path. I can't believe there's actually people who think its all Souray's fault. It says something if even the coach (ironically one Claude Julien) also criticized Kovalev publicly.

Still Kovalev did play much better after that and was a big part in winning the series, so it's all forgiven. Just a really bizarre play that makes it for an unfortunate highlight, that's all.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
habtastic

it was legit, also the best thing to happen to us in that series

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Lets hope someone talks trash to Kovalev, he played amazing in games 5,6 and 7.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 05:38 PM
bhuya71

i hope chara or lucie talks a huge run at kovy and that way his golden blonde hair will go super saiyan for the rest of the series he he

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Plain and simple, the ref screwed up the call. Anytime you slash a guy on the wrist and get possession that could lead to a scoring chance it's an automatic penalty call.

Blaming Souray or Kovalev is a dumb, since the ultimate responsibility is Green for the slash, and the ref for what should have been a routine penalty call. Ref makes the right call, and there is no incident and no game winner by the Bruins.

If the same thing had happened to the Leafs, Maclean and company would have been up in arms. It happens to the Habs and they make snide comments.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

Souray was trying to backcheck in an attempt to prevent a breakaway cause by Kovalev giving up on the play! I can't believe someone would blame Souray for bumping into Kovalev on that play...

To answer the question from the OP, Kovalev was not injured... well his pride took a hit when Souray rightfully called him out. It worked as it whipped Kovy for the rest of that series!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Souray was trying to backcheck in an attempt to prevent a breakaway cause by Kovalev giving up on the play! I can't believe someone would blame Souray for bumping into Kovalev on that play...

To answer the question from the OP, Kovalev was not injured... well his pride took a hit when Souray rightfully called him out. It worked as it whipped Kovy for the rest of that series!
Predictable post from a predictable man. Souray is just as much to blame as kovalev, and it was kovalev who won that series for us not souray.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:04 PM
habtastic

Yeah, it was Kovy who won that series for us from the mess he created. Also, as for Souray, it's like, you might have called a rushing penalty on him against Kovy. He ran RIGHT into him with at least 2-3 seconds to choose a different route. I'm amazed he doesn't crash into players during warmups. I loved Souray when he was here, but wow, between the two, I was more pissed at Souray for the play AND the comments.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

Who are you to say such thing? Are you Kovalev's wife or something? How do you know that for sure? Oh yeah.. you probably believe everything coming out from Michel Bergeron or Jean Perron's mouth.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Predictable post from a predictable man. Souray is just as much to blame as kovalev, and it was kovalev who won that series for us not souray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Who are you to say such thing? Are you Kovalev's wife or something? How do you know that for sure? Oh yeah.. you probably believe everything coming out from Michel Bergeron or Jean Perron's mouth.
The blind love is quite funny to tell you the truth! Poor Kovy got a slap on the fingers and even knowing that he was the last man, he gave up. Yet, he put his head down trying to sell a penalty that never came, a huge no-no in hockey, even at the pee-wee level. Souray tried going around him but Kovy kept gliding away in Souray's way, another example that he only thinks of himself. Souray is a team player, a character guy and he took exception to this and rightfully so. He called him out and I'm glad he did as that's when Kovy woke up and as I've admitted, he was a huge reason why we won... AFTER Souray called him out publicly!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote