HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good RDS Write-Up On Weber

Old
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Good RDS Write-Up On Weber

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/272983.html

A nice little player-focused piece on RDS.ca about Yannick Weber, our Markov body double for the start of this post-season. A translation in English...

Kind of rough in spots, but I think it's more or less accurate

------------------------------

Last year at this time, Weber was wearing the colors of the Kitchener Rangers of the OHL, on route to the Memorial Cup. One year later, the young Canadiens defender is preparing for the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"I don't know if I am going to play, we'll see. But I am lucky to find myself here at my age, it's a formidable experience," said the Swiss, who is only 20 years old. "I am happy that they are giving me this chance. It cannot help but benefit my development and the team."

Weber has taken part in the last two Habs matches and all indications are that he'll form a duo along with veteran Mathieu Schneider Thursday at the start of the series against the Boston Bruins. In the absense of Andrei Markov, whose hurt, the Canadiens lack the services of an offensive defensemen for the powerplay.

Weber is very promising, in the mold of his countryman Mark Streit. In his first year with the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL, he was chosen for the rookie All-Star team. In 68 games, he got 44 points, including 16 goals.

"I am a bit suprised myself at the progression I achieved this season," he said candidly. "I never expected to jump from juniors to pros so quickly or well. It's positive to see that I can play in the NHL."

(NOTE, I am unsure of a couple words in this sentence: "Weber n'a pas lésiné sur l'effort afin de combler des lacunes en défense." I believe it is, "Weber hasn't let up on the effort as he emerged on defense," but I honestly do not know). He credits much to his old Bulldogs coach Don Lever, who is now an assistant in Montreal, and to Ron Wilson, who replaced Lever in Hamilton.

In his first match in the NHL, January 8th, even if Guy Carbonneau used him mostly as a forward, it allowed him to realize that he could make it in the bigs.

"I went back to Hamilton and had the advantage of what I needed to work on. I am better prepared this time. I've gotten better every day I am here and ... "que je côtoie les gars." (not sure?)

He believes that much of the progress he has made on defense is the main reason that Head Coach Bob Gainey is able to place confidence in him.

"I learned a lot this season. If I compare my game's level between the start of the AHL season and now, I can see a big difference."

Weber is not very physical, but he is not worried about being in the heart of the bear at the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston. He got a preview of what awaits the Canadiens last week when the team faced the Bruins.

"It's pleasant, there was a lot of intesnity. It was a preview of the playoffs. The Bruins will surely be more disciplined then they were. We know they're waiting and we're ready."

The third round choice of the Habs in 2007 (73rd overall) will be asked to play in important role on the power play, beside Schneider.

"The veterans, particularly Mathieu Schneider, have told me to stick to my style, simply, and to not try and do too much. The guys are great, they want to help me. I told Mathieu that if he sees any problems in my game to not hesitate to tell me. He responded that I should always work to do what I do best."

Last edited by Lucius: 04-14-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 08:02 PM
habtastic

costaud = thick ( i think) as in he isn't very big/robust

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
costaud = thick ( i think) as in he isn't very big/robust
Updated - Thanks!

Old
04-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Weber is not very rugged, but he is not worried about being in the heart of the bear at the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston. He got a preview of what awaits the Canadiens last week when the team faced the Bruins.

"It's pleasant, there was a lot of intesnity. It was a preview of the playoffs. The Bruins will surely be more disciplined then they were. We know they're waiting and we're ready."
Playing the Bruins when the game is rough like that is "pleasant"?

Damn!

I like this guy

ps. Nice link, thanks

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Playing the Bruins when the game is rough like that is "pleasant"?

Damn!

I like this guy

ps. Nice link, thanks
I suspect if he'd been interviewed in English he might have used a different word, but it is technically what he said, so that's how I wrote it

Old
04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
#2eddieshore

thanks for the tranny.

very useful for those of us who don't speak French!

#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #2eddieshore View Post
thanks for the tranny.

very useful for those of us who don't speak French!
apparently this tranny speaks English

http://static.pyzam.com/img/funnypics/8/tranny.jpg

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Orange

Quote:
(NOTE, I am unsure of a couple words in this sentence: "Weber n'a pas lésiné sur l'effort afin de combler des lacunes en défense." I believe it is, "Weber hasn't let up on the effort as he emerged on defense," but I honestly do not know).
It means that Weber worked hard on rounding his defensive game.

A direct translation would be :

Weber didn't skimp on putting efforts into correcting his defensive shortcomings.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Teufelsdreck

It's worth reminding ourselves that Streit isn't big or physical and we should take into consideration that Streit was much older and more experienced than Weber when he first came to the Habs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Analyzer

Quote:

"I went back to Hamilton and had the advantage of what I needed to work on. I am better prepared this time. I've gotten better every day I am here and ... "que je côtoie les gars." (not sure?)
and that I mixed with the guys.

Good read, thanks for the translation!

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote