HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik - Do you think Gainey goes after him this offseason?

Old
04-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Both.
1. Gaborik (in the summer)
2. Kovalchuk (at the trading deadline)
Agreed

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Both.
i like it bro

HOWEVEr i wouldnt mind

1. Hossa (in the summer)
2. Lecavalier (trade summer)

i mean..i want kovalchuk but we do need a center..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Bill McNeal

Just as an appreciation of skill...

From 1 minute onward it's like a breakaway festival. He really is a modern Pavel Bure, I just hope his career follows a different path injury-wise.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Kikizaz

Yes, I would love to sign him.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 08:35 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Both.
Agreed

Then of course we'd need to let someone else go in this scenario but hey, that's what deadline is for right

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
If we hire Lemaire,forget Gaborik!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 08:41 AM
neofury*

To be honest the reason i want to sign him and not go for Lecavalier or Kovalchuk is as follows:

He isn't a FUTURE risk. Even if we give him 7$mil a season and he has a career ending injury or a season ending injury, his salary is then off the books. Don't get me wrong though I know it won't help that our organization would have pissed away 7$mil I just think if any organization can handle it, it's a team that has sell out crowds each night, and adding Gaborik would add an even greater dimension to merch sales. Imagine all the Gaborik jerseys you would see?

With Vinny or Kovalchuk, you need to give up a lot to get a lot and get stuck with a similar salary and similar contract years (not sure about Kovalchuks length but for Vinny its long).

With Gaborik you take the injury risk but you don't give up a ton of youth, current roster players, picks, etc. I think in the longterm, the risk is smarter to go with a guy like Gab because his potential is insane, and if he isn't injured he will reach said potential. People quickly forget when discussing injury prone players that the players they throw out there like Lecavalier/Kovalchuk tho not injury prone CAN be injured too. Just because it hasn't happened recently doesn't mean it won't happen soon. And then what? You gave up like 4 players and 2 picks + took on the contract, in order to get that player.

I wouldn't be against going after Kovalchuk because he's younger then vinny and if I'm not mistaking his contract length isn't crazy, maybe we'd throw in more players then not dependant on an extension, point is though Gaborik doesn't come with all the costs of giving up players, he comes with a salary.

Old
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest the reason i want to sign him and not go for Lecavalier or Kovalchuk is as follows:

He isn't a FUTURE risk. Even if we give him 7$mil a season and he has a career ending injury or a season ending injury, his salary is then off the books. Don't get me wrong though I know it won't help that our organization would have pissed away 7$mil I just think if any organization can handle it, it's a team that has sell out crowds each night, and adding Gaborik would add an even greater dimension to merch sales. Imagine all the Gaborik jerseys you would see?

With Vinny or Kovalchuk, you need to give up a lot to get a lot and get stuck with a similar salary and similar contract years (not sure about Kovalchuks length but for Vinny its long).

With Gaborik you take the injury risk but you don't give up a ton of youth, current roster players, picks, etc. I think in the longterm, the risk is smarter to go with a guy like Gab because his potential is insane, and if he isn't injured he will reach said potential. People quickly forget when discussing injury prone players that the players they throw out there like Lecavalier/Kovalchuk tho not injury prone CAN be injured too. Just because it hasn't happened recently doesn't mean it won't happen soon. And then what? You gave up like 4 players and 2 picks + took on the contract, in order to get that player.

I wouldn't be against going after Kovalchuk because he's younger then vinny and if I'm not mistaking his contract length isn't crazy, maybe we'd throw in more players then not dependant on an extension, point is though Gaborik doesn't come with all the costs of giving up players, he comes with a salary.
Kovalchuk is a ufa next year

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 12:36 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
Kovalchuk is a ufa next year
yeah, after next season he is

Too bad Gaborik and Kovalchuk aren't both UFA this yea

Old
04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
C4KOMI

Team GP G A Pts
000-01 MIN 71 18 18 36
2001-02 MIN 78 30 37 67
2002-03 MIN 81 30 35 65
2003-04 MIN 65 18 22 40
2005-06 MIN 65 38 28 66
2006-07 MIN 48 30 27 57
2007-08 MIN 77 42 41 83
2008-09 MIN 17 13 10 23
Career 502 219 218 437
You people are on crack calling him a superstar.
He is another Alex Kovalev, but even Kovalev has better numbers
than He he does.
Kovalev's best season with Pitsburgh was 44 goals, 55 assists, 95pts.

just sign Kovalev.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post
Team GP G A Pts
000-01 MIN 71 18 18 36
2001-02 MIN 78 30 37 67
2002-03 MIN 81 30 35 65
2003-04 MIN 65 18 22 40
2005-06 MIN 65 38 28 66
2006-07 MIN 48 30 27 57
2007-08 MIN 77 42 41 83
2008-09 MIN 17 13 10 23
Career 502 219 218 437
than He he does.

just sign Kovalev.
Or we could not sign either one. Gaborik is great when he plays, which is... what, 25 games a year? Give me someone with less talent who actually plays.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Could you imagine if we let Kovalev and Tanguay go, signed Gaborik and traded for Kovalchuk!!!

Last edited by RoyBoyCoy: 04-14-2009 at 05:43 PM.
RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post
Team GP G A Pts
000-01 MIN 71 18 18 36
2001-02 MIN 78 30 37 67
2002-03 MIN 81 30 35 65
2003-04 MIN 65 18 22 40
2005-06 MIN 65 38 28 66
2006-07 MIN 48 30 27 57
2007-08 MIN 77 42 41 83
2008-09 MIN 17 13 10 23
Career 502 219 218 437
than He he does.

just sign Kovalev.

That's some weird logic you use there.. So because Kovalev had a better season than him pts wise (in a different era and team mind you) he's better than Gaborik?

I'm pretty sure 30 out of 30 GMs in the league would pick Gaborik over Kovalev any time of the year.. unless their salary cap can't handle it.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Gaborik is world class talent... with a groin made of the most fragile material on earth...

Honestly, some GM is going to shoot their load on Gaborik and give him a long term deal for big bucks... and I will honestly feel bad for them...

On flip side, if by some act of God, you can get him at a discount and not such long term...its defiently worth the risk...your talking about someone who missed 121 games since the lockout... thats nearly 2 full seasons...

buyer beware is all im saying

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Or we could not sign either one. Gaborik is great when he plays, which is... what, 25 games a year? Give me someone with less talent who actually plays.
you are being facetious, right? the post you quoted showed that Gaborik has averaged 63 games/season over his 8 year career... considerably more than "25 games a year", no?

and I wonder if this is how you felt about Koivu prior to 2002?
incidentally, Koivu's avg games/season in his first 8 years= 54 games/year.
overall for his career, he's at 61 games/year... guess we should avoid re-signing him at all costs eh

Gaborik had some pretty bad luck injury wise, and if I follow the story correctly, the bulk of his past injury problems were directly tied to the hip problem/imbalance that he finally had corrected this year. So far, it appears that the surgery was a success and has corrected the problem.
but from what i understand, it was his desire to play through the pain/problems so as to NOT to miss a full season that was the biggest problem. Had he packed it in 2-3 years ago to have this procedure instead of trying again and again to "play through it", he'd have been able to deal with it properly years ago.
no way to know if the blame lies with the team or with himself, but either way, if the surgery did what it was supposed to do, he should done with the hip/groin problem which have cost him so many games over the years.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If we hire Lemaire,forget Gaborik!
lemairs already said "no" to the habs

but im pretty sure gaineys gonna throw fat money to gaborik, if he threw HUGEEE money at briere for crissake, he will do it for one of the big dawgs on the market, unlike that summer however, i think our chances are finaly good this year to land 1 of them

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I hope not.

He's always injured.
Pretty much sums it up. The guy would be wicked if he could ever stay healthy but... he can't.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Shred

Quote:
they throw out there like Lecavalier/Kovalchuk tho not injury prone CAN be injured too. Just because it hasn't happened recently doesn't mean it won't happen soon.
Lecavalier has been injured and has not been the same since. He was tearing it up last year until he got hurt, then produced decent but not at the same pace. This year he has 67 points, and nothing indicates that he would do more than 60-70 points on the Habs. It's good, but guys like Plekanec and Kostitsyn have hit around that total so those players are easier to come by than a guy like Lecavalier who has the reputation of a 100 point scorer and will be set up to fail in Montreal, where he doesn't really want to play anyway. I would much rather get a free agent who will cost us no players / picks and would want to play in Montreal.

I think a guy like Gaborik might want to prove that he can actually play a few good seasons in a row and contribute on a playoff team before he becomes too old so it might be the best time to get him.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
Lecavalier has been injured and has not been the same since. He was tearing it up last year until he got hurt, then produced decent but not at the same pace. This year he has 67 points, and nothing indicates that he would do more than 60-70 points on the Habs. It's good, but guys like Plekanec and Kostitsyn have hit around that total so those players are easier to come by than a guy like Lecavalier who has the reputation of a 100 point scorer and will be set up to fail in Montreal, where he doesn't really want to play anyway. I would much rather get a free agent who will cost us no players / picks and would want to play in Montreal.

I think a guy like Gaborik might want to prove that he can actually play a few good seasons in a row and contribute on a playoff team before he becomes too old so it might be the best time to get him.
I'd rather go with a guy that plays through his injuries instead of sitting out every time he's injured. That shows toughness, commitment and dedication to winning. I'll also take a player who's made it all the way and won the Stanley Cup. I'll also take the big centerman that this team is so lacking. There are many other reasons, but you get my point.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 11:01 PM
ekof232

At this point in his career Gaborik is probably one of the most offensively dynamic players in the league.

At this point in his career Gaborik is probably one of the most fragile players in the league.

At this point in his career Gaborik is probably one of the players most likely to demand big money (as in 7+ millions big).

Point taken, this guy is just not worth it, and brings more negatives than positives at the table. Definitely one player we do NOT want on our team right now (fragile+ inconsistent+ selfish+ big money= NO GOOD).

ekof232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 11:15 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Patches-Lang-Gaborik
Sergei-Pleks-Andrei
Lats-Laps-Kosto
Higgins-Maxwell-Laraque

I like it!

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 11:42 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekof232 View Post
At this point in his career Gaborik is probably one of the most offensively dynamic players in the league.

At this point in his career Gaborik is probably one of the most fragile players in the league.

At this point in his career Gaborik is probably one of the players most likely to demand big money (as in 7+ millions big).

Point taken, this guy is just not worth it, and brings more negatives than positives at the table. Definitely one player we do NOT want on our team right now (fragile+ inconsistent+ selfish+ big money= NO GOOD).
The first 3 points of your post summarize things perfectly. I would add that on top of the fact that Gaborik will get huge money, he will get said huge money long-term. In the bidding war that will ensue, some desperate GM will offer him a long-term contract for a ridiculous amount of money. I really don't know if I would invest that much cap space for that many future years on a guy that might prove to be a superstar, but could just as likely spend the majority of his time on the IR.

If the unlikely scenario that Gaborik gets either a short-term contract (1 or 2 years), or goes at a bargain price happens, then I'm all for picking him up. However, odds are he will get overpaid by a team that needs him badly enough to risk wrecking their cap structure for the future to get him.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'd rather go with a guy that plays through his injuries instead of sitting out every time he's injured. That shows toughness, commitment and dedication to winning. I'll also take a player who's made it all the way and won the Stanley Cup. I'll also take the big centerman that this team is so lacking. There are many other reasons, but you get my point.
You cant play with a pulled groin. It will turn in to an abdominal tear.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:39 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
That's some weird logic you use there.. So because Kovalev had a better season than him pts wise (in a different era and team mind you) he's better than Gaborik?

I'm pretty sure 30 out of 30 GMs in the league would pick Gaborik over Kovalev any time of the year.. unless their salary cap can't handle it.
Not only that but he links stats that show a guy who for 4 seasons straight averages among the top 5 in the NHL in points per game.

Then he tries to say that makes Kovalev as good as Gaborik. LOL

When Kovalev was off getting 90pts other players in the NHL like Gretzky were getting like 150pt seasons lawl. Different era for one, different ages for two, and for three it's like if I tried to compare Bure to Satan. Sorry to say, there is no comparison, Gaborik is far more talented then Kovalev, and this is coming from a guy who loves Kovalev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post

My sentiments on the entire thing exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekof232 View Post

It's funny how people say that, but then turn around and say Lecavalier is the answer.

At this point in Lecavalier's career he's a 70-80pt guy max.

Since Lecavalier's injury he hasn't been the same.

Lecavalier has a horrible contract and is NOT UFA.

Lecavalier's team the lightning would want at least a top prospect like Subban, plus a few roster players, plus picks, for a 70-80pt guy who imo could get injured like any other player but also has a massive contract?

If you ask me, it's a scam deal. We take on Tampa's horrible contract for a guy who might not even ever return to full form. Who knows on the habs maybe he regresses to 60pts.

I'd rather take a young but fragile player who has the potential/talent to be a top 5 guy in the NHL if he stays healthy, when it hasn't even yet been proven that he is in fact injury prone STILL due to the surgery which may have fixed the problem. In Montreal we have good doctors who could take a look at the merchandise before purchasing, and I doubt Gab would be against it unless he really did have something to hide.

To me, the bad outweighs the good far more with Vinny then Gaborik.

Gaborik we sign him and we don't give up future franchise players like Subban (yes, I do have that much faith in subban) and guys like Plek (who could bounce back and be a 70pt guy, pretty much equivalent in points to vinny) or Higgins (good pker). Not to mention the whole Higgins + Plek + Subban + Picks deal sounds like a heaping load of crap because why would tampa take 2 guys who are unproven or had 1 good season but play like crap lately? Sorry to say but even if that was the deal, I don't wanna give up ANYTHING for a guy with a longterm contract who is like a 70pt guy and won't likely return to form.

At least Gaborik has proven that when healthy he is among the elite nhl forwards. He hasn't yet been proven that he is STILL injury prone, his surgery could've fixed him up perfectly. You need to take risks to get some where in the post season. You think signing ovechkin wasn't a risk for washington? Any player CAN get injured.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-15-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old
04-15-2009, 10:06 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
17gp 13g 10a 23pts (and a +3)

I know it isn't saying much and he is a LW, but he's a point per game type guy and a real gamebreaker imo, something the habs have needed for some time now.

Then again, going for Gaborik would likely equate to not re-signing Tanguay.

Would you guys be for or against this? Would you consider trying to sign both and forming 2 good lines again or would you rather Gainey just stick with the 1 line we have and re-sign our big 3 (Kovy, Tang, Koivu)

I don't think Gainey is going to want to make a trade for a big name, I think it makes more sense to sign one when given the chance to. (Not saying Gaborik would want to sign here, just using him as the example because he is a good point producer and UFA)

Who else would you guys have in mind aside from Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev and Gaborik in terms of UFA material?

Should we re-sign Lang? It's going to be one long summer for the habs
how so? no way tanguay gets 6m on the open market.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote