HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Georges Laraques "Thornton's not in my league"

Old
04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Georges Laraques "Thornton's not in my league"

Talking about Thornton this morning on CKAC. He was asked a lot of questions and the interviewer said Thornton gave him "du fil a retorde" to which he replied this. Also went on to say that Thornton was shaking before the game against Laraque.

Cool interview, said the team is in playoffs mode and from what I could gather he seems in it too. He also mentioned the fact that outside Lucic and Chara, the Bruins don't have any overly physical players, not more than the Canadiens but that they finish their checks (sounds like the '04 Canadiens).

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
neofury*

Nice Yeah I hope Laraque pounds Lucic and Chara, if possible at the same time

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Bahahaha I ****ing love it.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:18 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Nice and not far from the truth!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Patrice Brisebois

I still think he should keep his mouth shut. IMO comments like that only make the Bruins want to beat us more.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Nice!

He`s stirring the pot.

There are only two things that truly worry me

1. Markov not starting for the Habs
2. The Bruins having the 41 year-old tip-in master, Mark Recchi

Recchi is the anti-Higgins... a guy who`s made a carrer of burying his chances

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Craig71

I would love to see laraque go mental against the bruins, see if chara or lucic are as tough as they appear to be, go BGL go.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rician blast

Everyone knows Thornton is not in Laracque's league as a fighter. No one on the Bruins is.

rician blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pascal

Cool.... will he still ask Thornton permission before roughing him up?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darz

If Laraque realizes to help out his team he has to do more than fight, than he can be a positive in this series.

A couple good hits, a few facewashes, some aggressive forechecking, and getting under some of the Bruins skin by BGL would really help out the Habs alot.

04-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Newhabfan

It was a great interview (link here http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...5-1512741.html)

Laraque is really a smart guy. I somehow see him as hocley analysts after his retirement. And he faced a lot of stupid questions:

" Langevin: Last game against the Bruins Bob Gainey decided not to play you. What do you think was the reason and what were you thinking when you were watching what happened to your teammates?

Laraque: I was thinking that we made the Playoffs. As for the first question - Bob Gainey was asked about it and he said he could not answer. It was a team based decision, not a personal based one."

As for the comments on Thornton I won't translate them cause it would only draw Bruins trolls here.

P.S - the comments on Thornton were not planned/intentional. I doubt he was thinking about them before the show. They were a (somehow irritated) reply to insinuations from Langeving that Thornton caused him problems during the year. Laraque is angrier at the Montreal media than he is at the Bruins.

Last edited by Newhabfan: 04-15-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Cool.... will he still ask Thornton permission before roughing him up?
They talked to him about that and he had a good answers for it. He plays for the team, not the fans wet dreams of him killing a player on the ice.

Old
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
They talked to him about that and he had a good answers for it. He plays for the team, not the fans wet dreams of him killing a player on the ice.
I don't think the fans want that. They just want him to do more of what Darz described in his post above.

Old
04-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

As for the comments on Thornton I won't translate them cause it would only draw Bruins trolls here.

I think the thread title alone is enough to draw the trolls here...so please can you translate

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Lone Rogue

If Laraque fights, I only want him to fight Chara. No Lucic. No Thornton.

The NHL referees watch Laraque closely because of his reputation as a fighter and the league's current interest in decreasing fighting in the league. Remember when he got the penalty instead of Begin? That's because the refs were watching Laraque.

He might as well stick to Chara, who lets his emotions get the best of him and will drop every time. Maybe one of those times Laraque will knock him silly and make him a non-factor in the series. I doubt Boston could do anywhere near as much as they've done without Chara.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
I don't think the fans want that. They just want him to do more of what Darz described in his post above.
Well, I've missed a lot of games this year but I've seen I think 3 where Laraque really decided to turn it up a notch, against the Coyotes, the Leafs(game where he checked Grabovski and pummeled Harrison) and his last game against Pittsburgh. He can really castrate a team when he wants to. If he plays anything like he did for Edmonton in the post-season, I think the fans will be very happy. Those who think he'll get suspended and a major 5 minute penalty in the playoffs for beating up and almost killing a player after the play need to realize that's never going to happen save if someone Bertuzzis a Habs player.

Old
04-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Darz

Quote:
Well, I've missed a lot of games this year but I've seen I think 3 where Laraque really decided to turn it up a notch, against the Coyotes, the Leafs(game where he checked Grabovski and pummeled Harrison) and his last game against Pittsburgh. He can really castrate a team when he wants to. If he plays anything like he did for Edmonton in the post-season, I think the fans will be very happy. Those who think he'll get suspended and a major 5 minute penalty in the playoffs for beating up and almost killing a player after the play need to realize that's never going to happen save if someone Bertuzzis a Habs player.
that is EXACTLY what Laraque needs to do!!!!

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Jackie Treehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rician blast View Post
Everyone knows Thornton is not in Laracque's league as a fighter. No one on the Bruins is.
there's a certain 6'9 defenseman, oh what's his name again, anyway he can go with Laraque. Which would be good for you guys.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Pascal

Quote:
I agree with you there. And the Leafs game is one of the rare ones where he really went after someone.

Against the Bruins he needs to get under Lucic's skin mostly. I'm pretty sure Chara would drop them against him unless Julien told him not to.

Old
04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I'm excited to see big Georges in this series, he recently said he's in the best shape he's been all year and after the last game I really think he can not only help us by fighting but by using his big body down low to help draw penalties.

If Thornton isn't in BGL's league then Big Bad Lucic must be not even close to Georges' league.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I wish he'd attempt more hits. Big hits > fights in terms of momentum shifts imo.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
that is EXACTLY what Laraque needs to do!!!!
On the other hand, he cannot compensate for defense giving weak goals, for offense losing pucks and for Price giving softies. It's too eas to picky on him at times.

Anyway - the translation about Thornton - Langevin was poking him, saying that Thornton caused him problems and that Thornton was not scared to face him and that got him irritated. He said that Thornton was scared, that he knew from "inside sources" that Thornton was shaking before the game and that it was normal to be like that since Thornton is not in his league as a fighter. I saw the message more as another reply to an annoying media figure (remember what he did to Lajoie and Villeneuve) then an attack at Thornton. In fact he clearly said he expects no fighting to happen in a Play off series.

Now, of course, the CKAC crew turned it into "Laraque taunts Thornton" which was not the case..

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:

Against the Bruins he needs to get under Lucic's skin mostly. I'm pretty sure Chara would drop them against him unless Julien told him not to.
Chara would not fight BGL unless the game is out of reach in Montreal's favour. Since I doubt Montreal will blow out Boston in any of the games, we won't see it. We will see BGL and Thornton go in game one, probably in the first 5 minutes. That to some extent could end the series physical safeguard for Montreal if BGL doesn't win.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

He also said about Thornton that: "If he want to challenge me tomorrow or saturday, i will make a pleasure to shut him down and the crowd also."

He seems ready to kick some a$$!

Last edited by Hannibal: 04-15-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I wish he'd attempt more hits. Big hits > fights in terms of momentum shifts imo.
what's great about this too...

neither Chara nor Lucic are too fast for BGL to hit... especially Chara who BGL will have a few shots to hit on the forecheck... his size usually protects him from injury and allows him the force to injure people... he doesn't have that advantage to protect him vs. BGL.

I really wish it were Thursday.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote