HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Georges Laraques "Thornton's not in my league"

Old
04-15-2009, 09:54 AM
icerocket

vCash: 500
BGL is coming bruins fans!

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Chara would not fight BGL unless the game is out of reach in Montreal's favour. Since I doubt Montreal will blow out Boston in any of the games, we won't see it. We will see BGL and Thornton go in game one, probably in the first 5 minutes. That to some extent could end the series physical safeguard for Montreal if BGL doesn't win.
I think Thronton's taking on of BGL right off the hopper in our first game vs. the Bruins was a turning point in the B's season. It showed the B's need not fear our new mercenary since Thornton has him balanced.

But now BGL has a second chance... a dominating win vs. Thornton early-on could mean momentum for us. Thornton is a savvy vet but I can't figure what he'd do. Taking the fight early may be what BGL wants... conversly if he can perform as well vs. BGL in the regular season fight it sort of disarms the Habs

can't wait for Thrusday

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:00 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
I still think he should keep his mouth shut. IMO comments like that only make the Bruins want to beat us more.
its true ... but on the other hand ... it draws their attention on something pointless ...

I really think last game is going to justify a lot of thursday's violence imo. The fact that laraque can go out there and take lucic and chara out is great , as the two of them acted like retarded ogres last game.

looking forward to see that old bruin concept of ''dominating physical play'' go down the drain.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I think Thronton's taking on of BGL right off the hopper in our first game vs. the Bruins was a turning point in the B's season. It showed the B's need not fear our new mercenary since Thornton has him balanced.

But now BGL has a second chance... a dominating win vs. Thornton early-on could mean momentum for us. Thornton is a savvy vet but I can't figure what he'd do. Taking the fight early may be what BGL wants... conversly if he can perform as well vs. BGL in the regular season fight it sort of disarms the Habs

can't wait for Thrusday
Laraque looked terrible in that first fight of the season against Thornton, but he looked pretty terrible for much of the early part of the season. I don't think that fight against Thorton is typical of what we'll see if and when they do fight. Laraques earlier fights against Thronton and Fritz were bad but he absolutely destroyed guys as the season went on. Shelley, Gratton come to mind

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Magic33

I wish BGL would fight someone while being super mad. Most fights we watch with him, he's smiling. I want him to absolutely lose it and then drop the gloves.

That being said, BGL can be an absolute force down low. If he works hard below the goal line, throws some big hits and pummels someone in a fight, then I would say we're good to go!

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Hockeyfan68

Whatever happens I hope Gainey keeps Laraque on the powerplay.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I wish BGL would fight someone while being super mad. Most fights we watch with him, he's smiling. I want him to absolutely lose it and then drop the gloves.

That being said, BGL can be an absolute force down low. If he works hard below the goal line, throws some big hits and pummels someone in a fight, then I would say we're good to go!
the smile on Laraque is part of the intimidation

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Whatever happens I hope Gainey keeps Laraque on the powerplay.
Well, with the Bruins taking so many penalties, he may not the choice but to rest the other guys, especially once we're up by 4 or 5 goals.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
I still think he should keep his mouth shut. IMO comments like that only make the Bruins want to beat us more.
If the Bruins all want to beat up Laraque, we're doing well. He knows it too.

Good job Big George!

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:39 AM
gillyguzzler

How will the refs handle BGL?

During the last game, Chara attacked Komi, threw down his gloves and punched Komi repeatedly, throwing more punches than are seen during common fights. Major penalty for fighting? NO... Instigator? No.

So according to that logic, BGL can attack Chara, punch him repeatedly and not get a major or an instigator penalty.

During their last game, Thornton dropped the gloves and started swinging at Komi then Lucie tackled Komi and took him down. Did Thornton get a major for fighting? No... Third man in for Lucie? No.

So if Stewart drops the gloves and starts swinging at Chara, BGL can just skate in from the back and jump on Chara and tackle him to the ice. Stewart won't get a five for fighting and BGL won't get a third man in...

If the reffing is consistent...

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:43 AM
rician blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay54 View Post
there's a certain 6'9 defenseman, oh what's his name again, anyway he can go with Laraque. Which would be good for you guys.
I'm a B's fan, so obviously I don't want Chara dropping them with Laracque.

IF Thornton takes on BGL right away it'll have been something the B's talked about...get it over with quick, hopefully to some extent negating BGL's ability to get another major.

Thornton has balls, he'll fight anyone, but there is a chance he'd get pummeled by BGL. For the team...he'll take that beating.

rician blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I hope BGL does exactly what he did against Toronto

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
How will the refs handle BGL?

During the last game, Chara attacked Komi, threw down his gloves and punched Komi repeatedly, throwing more punches than are seen during common fights. Major penalty for fighting? NO... Instigator? No.

So according to that logic, BGL can attack Chara, punch him repeatedly and not get a major or an instigator penalty.

During their last game, Thornton dropped the gloves and started swinging at Komi then Lucie tackled Komi and took him down. Did Thornton get a major for fighting? No... Third man in for Lucie? No.

So if Stewart drops the gloves and starts swinging at Chara, BGL can just skate in from the back and jump on Chara and tackle him to the ice. Stewart won't get a five for fighting and BGL won't get a third man in...

If the reffing is consistent...
You know pretty well it won't be. There are economics at stake.

How would you think the Bruins fanbase would react if the League would have given a totally deserved 4-5 games suspension to Chara or Lucic ? Right before the PO ? Would bring back the Campbell/Richard era.

Boston claims that the refs are favoring the Habs because of the centennial. Which is stupid - the league has nothing to gain from a Cup in Montreal - the arena is sold out for the years to game and the money keeps flowiing.

On the other hand, the Boston market needs this victory a lot more, given their recent past and the competition from other major sports.

To stay on topic - Laraque said he never saw in his life such physical abuse (those were his words) as in the last Bruins game. Especially going unpunished - he said there is no chance the refs would tolerate the same stuff from him.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:54 AM
SakuKovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Laraque looked terrible in that first fight of the season against Thornton, but he looked pretty terrible for much of the early part of the season. I don't think that fight against Thorton is typical of what we'll see if and when they do fight. Laraques earlier fights against Thronton and Fritz were bad but he absolutely destroyed guys as the season went on. Shelley, Gratton come to mind
That fight was a clear win for Laraque, go watch it again. He tripped on a glove or a stick, thats why he fell

SakuKovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I wish he'd attempt more hits. Big hits > fights in terms of momentum shifts imo.
Exactly. Slower players wait for the faster, more skilled players to tie up the opposition, then BGL waits, comes in and freight trains them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I hope BGL does exactly what he did against Toronto
Me too, BGL took out Kubina there, if he can take someone else out of importance, that would be good! And by take out, I mean both go to the penalty box, not one gets hurt.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:55 AM
MM425

When he was in the lineup, BGL did have positive impact on Pittsburgh last year.

Hopefully he can do the same this year!

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rician blast View Post
Everyone knows Thornton is not in Laracque's league as a fighter. No one on the Bruins is.
If I were to bet, I'd put my money on Georges too, but the fact is, when they've gone in the past, Thornton has more than held his own, and that dates back to his Blackhawk days.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Maxpac

My man is here, and above all for BGL, it's time to shut HF up for good

edit: That interview was perfect by Georges, he said exactly what we wanted to here, gave it with honesty and kept his composure in front of those 2 hypocits who want for Laraque to jump everybody and then the next day they talk about banning fights....

Last edited by Maxpac: 04-15-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
My man is here, and above all for BGL, it's time to shut HF up for good
If he plays like he did the last week of the season, none but the most irrational haters will complain.

I mean, even Asterix admits that he's been pleased with Kovalev lately.

If Laraque plays like he has lately, it will help us determine who actually watches the game

Old
04-15-2009, 11:32 AM
habman6

Interesting stat...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...=realTimeStats

habman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by habman6 View Post
Very interesting, on paper. However, while I love the concept of hits and blocked shots as statistical categories, I've never been convinced they're ever counted correctly.

So grain of salt on that.

Old
04-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Steveshutt

Even if the Habs lose, watching Laraque kick Lucic's *** and drag him along the ice crying would make it almost okay. Worse, living in Vancouver, I have to deal with the local media here worshiping the little punk making him out to be a "good B.C. boy" and the next Cam Neely.

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailGrabovski View Post
That fight was a clear win for Laraque, go watch it again. He tripped on a glove or a stick, thats why he fell
Laraque falls 2 seconds in luckily gets up before the linesman get in between and spends the next 20 seconds trying to hit Thornton in the back of the head while Thornton has him in a partial headlock. Not exactly a fight I'd want on my resume if I'm looking for work. I think maybe you need to look at it again.

The point of him fighting Thornton early on in the playoffs isn't to fight to a draw (which is the most I'd give him in the preseason bout) it's to absolutely destroy him and to let the Bruins know the Habs will be setting the physical tone for this series.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Hopefully the Bruins don't play into any of this nonsense....I do love BGL however...The more BGL talks however, the less likely anything is to happen...We've seen how Julien has dealt with this in the past...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Laraque falls 2 seconds in luckily gets up before the linesman get in between and spends the next 20 seconds trying to hit Thornton in the back of the head while Thornton has him in a partial headlock. Not exactly a fight I'd want on my resume if I'm looking for work. I think maybe you need to look at it again.

The point of him fighting Thornton early on in the playoffs isn't to fight to a draw (which is the most I'd give him in the preseason bout) it's to absolutely destroy him and to let the Bruins know the Habs will be setting the physical tone for this series.
Exactly, time for him to take things seriously.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote