HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hatcher returns as coach of sorts...

Old
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Stonehands77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Yea?

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/key.cgi

MAybe u were busy cheering for the Kings to notice.
Oh snap!

I like it. Hatcher helped Coburn out tremendously, and if he's going to be helping out at practices it can only help.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't really care if he's there or not, but why are you bringing him now and not before? It's really kind of irrelevant. He doesn't have to be active to be on the team and go on road trips. I seem to recall Randy Jones and Danny Briere going on the road with the team before they were ready to play. Why wouldn't it have helped a few weeks ago, but it would now?

It's not being negative, it's that it's pointless.
Actually you are negative and clueless (as usual) Why bring Hatcher back into the fold? I'll give it a shot. Had you ever actually played hockey you would realize that being a Captain is a very difficult role to occupy. There is no set formula for success. Some Captains lead by example (Desjardins), some are more vocal than others (Preems) some hold you accountable away from the media (Poulin) but in all cases the Captain has the respect of all his teammates and they follow whatever example he sets on and off the ice. I'm sorry to say that Mike Richards does not command the respect of at least a third of his teammates and thats not entirely his fault. He's young and inexperienced in the role and it will come in time. My main criticism with Richards is not his lackadaisical play at times but rather his inability to hold his teammates accountable for their lack of intensity and commitment to winning. Regardless of cap concerns because really what Hockey fan really cares about that type of **** over the actual game itself, Hatcher is a part of this team. What kind of message do you think it sends to a young player to look across the room and see Derian standing there broken and bent over, It says dedication. It says sacrifice. It says selflessness. All the qualities any team exhibits to make it to the glorious end.

The reason you don't bring Hatcher on the road with 2 weeks left is you give every possible chance and opportunity to Mike Richards to right the ship himself because that is the role of the Captain and that is the trust a GM places onto his Captain. When he demonstrates that he is incapable of doing this, as he showed in the last week of the season, you look to your teammates, your veterans to step up and lead the way. And for all the pissing and moaning about Stevens and his own inability to motivate his players You don't build around a coach, you build round the "C" on the crest.

Game starts in 5 hours, lets go win a ****ing Cup!

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 01:56 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Actually you are negative and clueless (as usual) Why bring Hatcher back into the fold? I'll give it a shot. Had you ever actually played hockey you would realize that being a Captain is a very difficult role to occupy. There is no set formula for success. Some Captains lead by example (Desjardins), some are more vocal than others (Preems) some hold you accountable away from the media (Poulin) but in all cases the Captain has the respect of all his teammates and they follow whatever example he sets on and off the ice. I'm sorry to say that Mike Richards does not command the respect of at least a third of his teammates and thats not entirely his fault. He's young and inexperienced in the role and it will come in time. My main criticism with Richards is not his lackadaisical play at times but rather his inability to hold his teammates accountable for their lack of intensity and commitment to winning. Regardless of cap concerns because really what Hockey fan really cares about that type of **** over the actual game itself, Hatcher is a part of this team. What kind of message do you think it sends to a young player to look across the room and see Derian standing there broken and bent over, It says dedication. It says sacrifice. It says selflessness. All the qualities any team exhibits to make it to the glorious end.

The reason you don't bring Hatcher on the road with 2 weeks left is you give every possible chance and opportunity to Mike Richards to right the ship himself because that is the role of the Captain and that is the trust a GM places onto his Captain. When he demonstrates that he is incapable of doing this, as he showed in the last week of the season, you look to your teammates, your veterans to step up and lead the way. And for all the pissing and moaning about Stevens and his own inability to motivate his players You don't build around a coach, you build round the "C" on the crest.

this

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yea?

Except I'm not talking about when Forsberg was captain. I am talking about when Hatcher was captain.

When the team quit against the Sabres in 2006?

Last edited by GKJ: 04-15-2009 at 02:11 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Let's Go Flyers

Quote:
Yea?

I believe GKJ was pointing to the fact that Hatcher's stint as captain was not for the season from hell, but rather the first season after the lockout

Let's Go Flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Actually you are negative and clueless (as usual)
I'm clueless and negative 'as usual' because I'm not a cheerleader? Please. That is just a veiled and vain comment to make.

Quote:
Why bring Hatcher back into the fold? I'll give it a shot. Had you ever actually played hockey you would realize that being a Captain is a very difficult role to occupy. There is no set formula for success. Some Captains lead by example (Desjardins), some are more vocal than others (Preems) some hold you accountable away from the media (Poulin) but in all cases the Captain has the respect of all his teammates and they follow whatever example he sets on and off the ice. I'm sorry to say that Mike Richards does not command the respect of at least a third of his teammates and thats not entirely his fault. He's young and inexperienced in the role and it will come in time. My main criticism with Richards is not his lackadaisical play at times but rather his inability to hold his teammates accountable for their lack of intensity and commitment to winning. Regardless of cap concerns because really what Hockey fan really cares about that type of **** over the actual game itself, Hatcher is a part of this team. What kind of message do you think it sends to a young player to look across the room and see Derian standing there broken and bent over, It says dedication. It says sacrifice. It says selflessness. All the qualities any team exhibits to make it to the glorious end.

They and he will say all the right things, but when it comes down to it, he is not on the ice in game action. He's there to hang out and have guys talk to him. It's probably not much different from when the team was at home during the season, but to bring him on the road for more leadership, is in vain. If you want to bring the younger guys on the road to go through the routine of the playoffs that's different, but these Johnny-Come-Lately's...not so much. They won't resent him, as they did see what he and Jason Smith went through last year, but when it comes down it, they know he isn't out to battle with them. Now if he's traveling and planning to play, that's different, but like Primeau in 2006, that tended to be more of a distraction than being a leader.

And I was an advocate, moreso before last season than this season of NOT having a captain at all.

Last edited by GKJ: 04-15-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old
04-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Danglous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I dont think it has all that much to do with anything other than making him feel like part of the team..
I disagree, this isnt little league. I think the Flyers just want to get every ounce of help they can get for the playoffs.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Defmincex13

Quote:

cheer

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
As if that was his fault.
It was a lot of people at fault, but he was not absolved from it.

Old
04-15-2009, 02:30 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
I disagree, this isnt little league. I think the Flyers just want to get every ounce of help they can get for the playoffs.
maybe this is the only way Hatcher can get his name on the Cup since he didn't actually play any games?

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:30 PM
supa scoop

Great post.(@MrKurri's)

Last edited by supa scoop: 04-15-2009 at 02:42 PM.
supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Defmincex13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
maybe this is the only way Hatcher can get his name on the Cup since he didn't actually play any games?
his name is all ready on the cup. But Ok

Old
04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Orange Crush 89

Oh well that's it, this team just went over the hump and is NOW a lock to win the cup. Everyone else might as well pack it in Hatcher is back (sort of) to save the day!

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Defmincex13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Oh well that's it, this team just went over the hump and is NOW a lock to win the cup. Everyone else might as well pack it in Hatcher is back (sort of) to save the day!
no no we need Keith P behind the bench for that to happen

Old
04-15-2009, 03:24 PM
ToTheNet

Wow jump to conclusions much? I'm just saying if there Flyers were to win, perhaps this would be how Hatcher would get his name on the cup. Sheesh people.

Old
04-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Except I'm not talking about when Forsberg was captain. I am talking about when Hatcher was captain.

When the team quit against the Sabres in 2006?
There was only ONE season form hell and Forsberg was captain when it happened.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
There was only ONE season form hell and Forsberg was captain when it happened.
Who said there was two?

Who was the captain in the playoffs when in Game 2 our discipline was completely out of wack, and then not show up for Games 5 and 6?

Old
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Pope Pogo II

Send a message via AIM to Pope Pogo II Send a message via Yahoo to Pope Pogo II
Quote:
Who said there was two?

Who was the captain in the playoffs when in Game 2 our discipline was completely out of wack, and then not show up for Games 5 and 6?
Why are you two even arguing about it?

Anyway, whenever I think of Hatcher this is the only thing I see.

Pope Pogo II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
ToTheNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Pogo II View Post
Why are you two even arguing about it?

Anyway, whenever I think of Hatcher this is the only thing I see.

that is an angry looking dude right there.

Old
04-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Pope Pogo II

Send a message via AIM to Pope Pogo II Send a message via Yahoo to Pope Pogo II
Quote:
that is an angry looking dude right there.
I swear when you click to make the image full, he looks even more angry, like he is pissed you clicked on that image without fear.

Pope Pogo II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Brophy

Quote:
Wow jump to conclusions much? I'm just saying if there Flyers were to win, perhaps this would be how Hatcher would get his name on the cup. Sheesh people.
His name is already on the cup. He captain the Stars to the cup.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Not trying to jump down anyone's throat or anything here but if you've ever played hockey and lost a powerful personality in the dressing room....you miss it. McKurri's soup kitchen says it pretty well. If half of these guys could play with Hatch's heart and intensity Pittsburgh wouldn't even bother showing up.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
It was a lot of people at fault, but he was not absolved from it.
I didn't say he was, but you blamed him.

What you just wrote to me is EXACTLY what I was saying to you.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Haute Couturier

I don't know, I agree with GKJ. This just seems like a move just to include Hatcher. I don't think his presence is going to make any sort of difference, but it can't really hurt either.

I also get what GKJ is saying about Hatcher's stint as captain. It didn't really go well here and if I recall correctly Hitch said it was a mistake to name him captain.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I didn't say he was, but you blamed him.

What you just wrote to me is EXACTLY what I was saying to you.
It's a discussion about Hatcher. We can start a Petr Nedved and Mike Rathje thread if you want....