HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs fans opinions on "Burke going after Tavares"

View Poll Results: Will Burke Aquire the Tavares Pick?
Yes, I guarantee it 8 4.10%
No, but anything is possible I guess 73 37.44%
No way in hell will he ever aquire that pick! 114 58.46%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
He says the entire team, bar Schenn, is available in a trade for the Isles' pick. I think the entire Laffs team, bar Schenn, still isn't worth Tavares. Burke's a mental case if he thinks he can get that pick WITHOUT including Schenn. And even with him, Burke doesn't have enough assets of any value, including his top three picks from this year, to add to a package for that first overall.
Yeah this trade dosn't happen without Schenn even with him I can't see it happening. Tavares/Hedman are the franchise players the isles have been waiting for, your going to have to give up alot of talent to get that first overall pick. The leafs don't have enough.

The Habs on the other hand may be able to offer a nice package...hey the drafts in Montreal let the rumours fly

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Flambergius

The most valuable asset in of course the Islander's first pick, after that comes Atlanta's (?) second overall pick. After those two there's a drop and it could be argued that the Toronto's first pick 2010 is the third most valuable asset. :-)

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
NewHabsEra*

Burke said the only untouchable was Schenn.. Well, Schenn is the only one interesting asset the Leafs have to get a futur NHL star like Tavares.. Burke is not only dreaming, he is sending a bad message to the ones that played hard this season for their jersey..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
habtastic

even if the leafs have 5 1st round picks, what are they worth unless the leafs come in the bottom 5 in each case? Nothing compared to tavares OR hedman. He is jsut trying to show that "he cares" and that he wil do anything possible. Again, attention freak. I don't know who I hate more, him or Bill O'Reilly.

Also, hasn't the whole knock on ferguson jr been that he does these draft pick trades (albeit the other way around). Just stick with what you have, maybe move up a little bit, but come ON...move to 1st from 7th! with nothing to offer.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I enjoy Burke's approach. How many GMs say anything at all? Whether Burke is doing it purely to stroke his own ego or not, it's still entertaining and I really find it refreshing.

Whether he can pull it off or not, basically all comes down to team philosophy and a bit of scouting for the Isles IMHO. I don't think there's necessarily a HUGE separation between Tavares and the best player available at #7. If the Isles' feel similarly, and if they have any motivation at all to try to turn things around next season, then a package of Kubina, Kaberle, a #7 pick, maybe some other young guns like Tlusty or Kulemin, maybe some future 1st rounders, maybe even Blake (he's better than... who are the Isles' current top wingers anyway?)... it's not ridiculous. It's only ridiculous if the Isles are truly sold on Tavares (or Hedman) as a future franchise superstar, or if they simply don't have the money/desire to take the immediate impact of guys like Kubina/Kaberle as part of the package.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Why not trade our 1st, Plekanec, Higgins + the rights for Komisarek (or signed) and whatever the Isles would want to add. Wang and Snow might get hoodwinked by some hometown talents.

What pick do we have? 12th, 13th ,14th, 15th? I haven't seen any official word on it and am too lazy to go check.

It would be soooooooooo sweet to get Tavares under Burke's nose. It would be priceless.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:37 AM
wolfinhabsclothing

Brian Burke is a joke. I suppose he's been drinking the Kool Aid in TO long enough to think the collection of 3rd liners he has on the Marlies is enough to woo the Islanders or Lightning.

Earth to Brian. The price of one of the top two picks would be Schenn, your #1 (7th overall), and a whole bunch of things you don't have. Somehow I don't think Tlusty, Pogge, Mitchell, and/or Pohl will do it. You'd be better off staying put and drafting a very good player at #7 in a deep draft.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Tusk

Burke is just his own media machine, it's all very calculated. It's one thing he does very well and is why he is both popular and infamous. As annoying as he can be he still does a great job drawing interest to his franchises. People that think he seriously thinks it will be an easy move for him are out to lunch, this is all just pr. He wants his fans to know he's trying his best all of the time, good job there. He's gonna try but it's not like he's saying it's a slam-dunk move for him. Some people need to chill on that front.

Now, did he bring his own scouts with him Toronto? That's something Leafs fans need to worry about.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Maxpac

He's a poor GM if he decided to trade his assets to draft Tavares. What he doesn't seem to realise is he has a **** load of free cash to sign top players when the time will be right. With the 7th pick he'l have the chance to draft Brayden Schenn, those 2 bros on the same team and full of character are perfect players to build the team around.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:45 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

No chance in hell it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
He's a poor GM if he decided to trade his assets to draft Tavares. What he doesn't seem to realise is he has a **** load of free cash to sign top players when the time will be right.
And isn't that why he can afford to trade half the team? He could replace losses trough free agency.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I enjoy Burke's approach. How many GMs say anything at all? Whether Burke is doing it purely to stroke his own ego or not, it's still entertaining and I really find it refreshing.

Whether he can pull it off or not, basically all comes down to team philosophy and a bit of scouting for the Isles IMHO. I don't think there's necessarily a HUGE separation between Tavares and the best player available at #7. If the Isles' feel similarly, and if they have any motivation at all to try to turn things around next season, then a package of Kubina, Kaberle, a #7 pick, maybe some other young guns like Tlusty or Kulemin, maybe some future 1st rounders, maybe even Blake (he's better than... who are the Isles' current top wingers anyway?)... it's not ridiculous. It's only ridiculous if the Isles are truly sold on Tavares (or Hedman) as a future franchise superstar, or if they simply don't have the money/desire to take the immediate impact of guys like Kubina/Kaberle as part of the package.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...1&postcount=10

Plagiarism.

Let's say the Isle do this trade and throw a ridiculous amount at Komisarek and sign Higgins to an offer sheet:

Fowards:
Blake - Weight - Hunter
Higgins - Bailey - Okposo
Bergenheim - Tlusty - Comeau
Tambellini - Neilsen - Park

Extras: Tim Jackman, Joel Rechlicz, Kulemin (I don't know much about the NYI depth chart so I don't know where they would fit in.)

Defense:
Kaberle - Kubina
Streit - Komisarek
Sutton - Witt

Extras: Martinek, Gervais

Goalies:
Rick DiPietro
???

lololol

Last edited by Sined: 04-15-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Does anyone else thing this is retarded? I know the isles are poorly managed but COME ON. And what do you guys think a package TO would have to use in order to aquire said pick would be?

I think it's laughable personally. Yeah when Malkin was coming up I'm sure Burke wanted to land that pick too

Do you guys think he can make a deal or it's highly unlikely?
Never underestimate the stupidity of the Islanders' management.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Why not trade our 1st, Plekanec, Higgins + the rights for Komisarek (or signed) and whatever the Isles would want to add. Wang and Snow might get hoodwinked by some hometown talents.

What pick do we have? 12th, 13th ,14th, 15th? I haven't seen any official word on it and am too lazy to go check.

It would be soooooooooo sweet to get Tavares under Burke's nose. It would be priceless.
It depends on how far we go in the playoffs. As of right now we only know the rankings of the top 14 (teams who didn't qualify for the playoffs).

04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Habs

I think Hedman would be a better choice for Montreal if that chance ever came along. Whoa, take it easy on me for a sec before you call me a putz.

Getting a franchise stud on the blueline would help Montreal out more along the way, and Price plus you can fill in the gaps with scoring with some FA signings.

No point scoring 4gpg if you are letting in 5.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:

We have the 4th least point total of all playoff teams, so technically we have the 18th pick

If we lose out and Anaheim, Columbus and St. Louis were to win Round 1, we'd have the 15th pick

If we advance, add at least 4 spots to 22

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:14 PM
transitguy

His 2009 1st round pick (#7 overall), his 2009 second round pick + Luke Scheen to Tampa Bay for Vinny. TB gets 2 of the 7 top picks, a young defenceman and gets rid of a lot of salary.

He then ships Vinny + Vessa Toskela + Thomas Kaberle + his 2010 1st rounder to the Islanders. The Islanders get better for 2009-10 and gets another 1st round pick in 2010. They take on a lot of salary but they get a first line centre, a good defenceman and a better goaltender than they presently have. They then can dump some salary to help pay these guys.

Just my thoughts and I hate the Leafs.

transitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It depends on how far we go in the playoffs. As of right now we only know the rankings of the top 14 (teams who didn't qualify for the playoffs).
Thanks H, I forgot about that one.

Though, would you do that trade, from either perspective?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:34 PM
AgRiVaToRR*

Tavares will be like Toews in a year or two, maybe better. There is no way in hell that the Ilsanders trade a guy with as much potential as Tavares to a team that has nothing outstanding going the other way.

Off topic, but do you think Tavares can perform as well as Crosby?

AgRiVaToRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:41 PM
AgRiVaToRR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy View Post
His 2009 1st round pick (#7 overall), his 2009 second round pick + Luke Scheen to Tampa Bay for Vinny. TB gets 2 of the 7 top picks, a young defenceman and gets rid of a lot of salary.

He then ships Vinny + Vessa Toskela + Thomas Kaberle + his 2010 1st rounder to the Islanders. The Islanders get better for 2009-10 and gets another 1st round pick in 2010. They take on a lot of salary but they get a first line centre, a good defenceman and a better goaltender than they presently have. They then can dump some salary to help pay these guys.

Just my thoughts and I hate the Leafs.
So you're saying the Leafs lose:

1st (7th overall) + 2nd + Schenn + Vinny + Toskala + Kaberle + 1st in 2010

And the Leafs recieve:

Tavares

That is a huge overpayment IMO. And I doubt the Leafs make two blockbuster deals like that.

AgRiVaToRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:46 PM
AH

Why would the Iles want Schenn? Didn't they trade down last summer to NOT draft him at the 5th spot?

The Leafs have nothing the Iles would want long term (5 to 10 years).

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks H, I forgot about that one.

Though, would you do that trade, from either perspective?
IMO it looks like a good deal for both sides, especially if the Islanders can sign all 3 Hab players.

If I'm Snow (Islanders gm) I pass because of attendance problems. Even though Higgins and Komisarek are both New Yorkers. A player like Tavares would have a much greater impact.

If I'm Gainey, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:50 PM
GNick42

It would take a Lindros type package to get the #1 overall pick. Can't see Toronto parting will all that

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
Brian Burke is a joke. I suppose he's been drinking the Kool Aid in TO long enough to think the collection of 3rd liners he has on the Marlies is enough to woo the Islanders or Lightning.

Earth to Brian. The price of one of the top two picks would be Schenn, your #1 (7th overall), and a whole bunch of things you don't have. Somehow I don't think Tlusty, Pogge, Mitchell, and/or Pohl will do it. You'd be better off staying put and drafting a very good player at #7 in a deep draft.
Amen.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
It would take a Lindros type package to get the #1 overall pick. Can't see Toronto parting will all that
How could they? They don't have anything close to a Lindros package to offer.

They have 1 young premium prospect (Schenn) who is still not comparable to Tavares. They have Kaberle, one of the top 10 Dmen in the conference, on a good contract but only for 2 more seasons before he gets a raise, then what? Only boatloads of draft picks.

The rest of Toronto's roster consists of overpaid UFA signings and mediocre young guys, none of whom are really guaranteed to still be in the NHL in 5 seasons.

Toronto's got nothing to offer, the cupboard is completely bare of any premium players.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
LOL @ Burke

they. wont. get. him

impossible, no way would the islanders give up tavares, and im just so glad the leafs cant even come up with a decent trade at all with the team they have

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote