HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Falardeau leaving msu??

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2004, 06:46 PM
icthelight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think he meant it more as just about everyone but the Rangers had all these guys rated higher than Lee even back then.

I for one know that Brandon and I just about had anyeurisms when they made that pick.

It didn't make sense then and it doesn't now. Someone did a heck of a sales job. I can say fairly confidently that no other team was taking him in the second round.

I really didnt follow the rangers farm system until a yaer or so ago. Can you tell me the two or three guys that you felt prior to the pick that the Rangers should have taken?

Old
09-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight
I really didnt follow the rangers farm system until a yaer or so ago. Can you tell me the two or three guys that you felt prior to the pick that the Rangers should have taken?
Well the big one I wanted {and was very vocal about} was Stoll. I loved that kid in Juniors and knew that though not a star, could be a solid, usefull, character NHL player.

Others that I had liked: Stajan, Campbell, Christensen, and I loved Kanko. I also liked Fernholm and Globke.

But the one that really stands out that I wanted was Stoll. I had pegged him to go to Toronto in the first round that year {they had tried and failed to acquire him in time}.

Hudler was someone I was NOT exceptionally high on, but I would have taken him over Falardeau as well.

At the time some people thought he was a "Safe" pick because that's the only way they could make sense of his numbers. But even then I made it well known I thought it was a garbage pick and I stand by that today.

Maybe as a third rounder I would looked at him, but there were better options out there. They shouldn't be crucified for it, but the Rangers scouting department messed up with that pick.

Probably the only other pick i've been as vocal about was Jessiman, but it wasn't even close. I could live with Jessiman even though there were players i would have taken ahead of him but this pick. I still get angry about it.

Old
09-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
eh, why complain about giving him a contract? big deal. it's probably for peanuts, and it's not like the rangers desperatly need that to sign someone else

i don't see why it's an issue in the slightest. at worst, he becomes nothing and the rangers are out a few K, same thing with any prospect. at best, they get a player.

like i said, they gave freakin juris stals a shot and most didn't think he was worth a damn or worth a contract. odds are still stacked against him becoming a NHL player but it didn't stop the rangers from signing him...
I dont think its the contract per say, so much as the pick in the first place. He's been one of the more....um controversial picks since the day he was drafted.

Old
09-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Fish

I see Dane Byers this past draft as a similar kind of pick...but of course there were 5 other 1st/2nd round picks so it didn't stand out the same way.

Old
09-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfanatic
I'm not writing off Falardeau yet. He's big, great on faceoffs and can skate well. He might learn a lot at Hartford and improve. I think in 2 years we will know if he has any talent. I don't think we can write him off. Jason Blake was written off by everybody as was M. St. Louis.

There might still be hope. Sometimes the light goes on late for bigger players. I don't expect much from him but I wouldn't give up on him yet. Lundmark has shown nothing either and people still seem to be high on him. He's been horrible.
A kid who scored 5 goals in college is in trouble.......

There is a difference between patience and waiting for something that just ain't gonna happen.

Jessiman requires patience....Falardeau requires a miracle at this point.

I gotta be honest with you, the guy is gonna struggle at the ECHL level so thinking about anything beyond that isn't even an option right now.

Old
09-12-2004, 02:28 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I see Dane Byers this past draft as a similar kind of pick...but of course there were 5 other 1st/2nd round picks so it didn't stand out the same way.
true its alot easier to take a guy like that when he is 1 of 5+ picks in the top 2 rounds vs the ONLY pick in the first 2 rounds...

not to mention that the overall talent and depth in our system compared to before the 2002 draft is night and day...obviously we still have holes to fill and need to get as many quality players as we can. but we can withstand a player not working out much easier now then before since now you are looking at 25-30 potential guys vs 5-10 before

Old
09-12-2004, 08:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Larry David:

If you cannot make your point without resorting to personal attacks, you will be banned.

Old
09-14-2004, 06:13 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Finally announced and official

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=1308

Old
09-15-2004, 12:19 AM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I've never seen Byers play, but considering that he was #20 on Central Scouting's North American skaters list, someone out there must like him. 48th isn't an outrageous spot to take a guy ranked that highly and since all our other 2nd rounders are high-risk/high-upside offensive talents, I don't see a problem taking a "safe" pick with a 2nd rounder.

Old
09-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Edge

I gotta admit i wasnt thrilled with the Byers selection but the talent is there, it's just inconsistent. He could be a pest and pop in some points if he puts it together and he has shown flashes of it.

I never really saw flashes of anything from Falardeau {even going back to before Michigan}. He was an average player for the US development team, and a below average collegiate player who essentially lost his role on the team and well.... we can see where this pattern is going.

Old
09-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I gotta admit i wasnt thrilled with the Byers selection but the talent is there, it's just inconsistent. He could be a pest and pop in some points if he puts it together and he has shown flashes of it.

I never really saw flashes of anything from Falardeau {even going back to before Michigan}. He was an average player for the US development team, and a below average collegiate player who essentially lost his role on the team and well.... we can see where this pattern is going.
Well Falardeau certainly hasn't progressed from the point at which he was drafted, and seemed to be an unimaginative pick...it remains to be seen whether Byers will be the same or not, but I do get that feeling that he has a fairly low ceiling.

Still like I said, it's easier to overlook that in a draft where you take 6 players in the first two rounds...

Closed Thread