HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Souray anyone?

Old
04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
I would very much like Souray back, we need that shot and sadly Schneider is very old and very slow, mind you i love what he has brought this year. I would keep Hammer for the youngsters, he can't go anywhere. IMO Put Souray with Markov and his defensive lapsses will be covered. Let Komi go and bring back Souray.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
LesCanadiens

No thanks....one-trick pony and dissed us in the press. Souray can kiss my...

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:15 PM
timbitca

I like him just fine in Edmonton or on any of the other 28 teams in the league.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Brass

For some reason I think He was part of the problem in the lockerroom when playing here so. No , I'd rather go with Beauchemin or Bouw!

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

The notion seems absurd to me. The Habs have an abundance of thirtyish Dmen, and two of them (Markov and Hamrlik) get big bucks. Besides, Souray is injury prone, not great defensively, and has shown a preference for getting out of Montréal.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Mustafa*

If the trade include Hamrlik to Edmonton, i'm all for it. He was ma favorite Habs and we could use him so much with the Habs.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
WE REQUIRE ADDITIONAL PYLONS

(not everyone will get that one)
LOL

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
dutchy29

From what I've heard he likes the West, If he wants out of Edmonton because they can't compete I would imagine him going to a sure thing like San Jose or Anehiem. I'd rather have Streit back.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Souray, Sheldon Souray? That same p.o.s that constantly got beat to the outside and really for every PP goal he scored he somehow managed to be on the ice for 2 goals against Souray. Granted he is tough and can fight and score on the PP but defensively he was/is not good. Better all round guys, not as good on the PP will be available soon enough and will be less costly.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:22 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Souray, Sheldon Souray? That same p.o.s that constantly got beat to the outside and really for every PP goal he scored he somehow managed to be on the ice for 2 goals against Souray. Granted he is tough and can fight and score on the PP but defensively he was/is not good. Better all round guys, not as good on the PP will be available soon enough and will be less costly.
Thats exactly the reason i talked about Protoss Pylons (see video)

Me and my friend had a nickname for him, ''Cellule'' (Cell) cause we thought he only had 1 cell remaining in his brain that would occasionally pass in front of his forehead making him perform an action (a slap shot on a PP per example) but 99% of the time the guy was a true pylon that couldn't move to save his life on D always making whoever attacked to just pass around him

Yup that Sheldon Souray, 3 mistakes on D = 1 PP goal amirite?

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
LeHab

Sign JBo, trade Hamrlik and forget about Souray...don't wake me up please.

Remember this?

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Go Habs Go

Hamrlik straight up for Souray!

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:32 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Sign JBo, trade Hamrlik and forget about Souray...don't wake me up please.

Remember this?
HAHA

WE REQUIRE ADDITIONAL PYLONS

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:26 AM
HabsFanUKR

it's a large contract to take in, but Souray would help our PP... We really missed Streit a lot this year, so we need a big shot on the blue line.

Souray has a big shot, he's a big man, and he'd be able to stand up to big goons

HabsFanUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I really find it hard to believe that people think souray makes too much...

he's one of the top offensive dmen in the league, and while he has his deficiencies on defense, he brings an element of toughness/leadership that many of the other premier offensive defensmen in the league just don't have.

5.4M cap hit for Souray is more than reasonable, and is a lot better than Hamrlik's cap hit. How much do people think a 20+ goal scoring dman who plays 25 minutes/game and brings a physical precense is worth?

frankly, if you do the math, adding souray's cap hit really wouldn't be too difficult when you consider that many of the "bad" contracts the habs have are now finished with (dandy, bouillion, brisebois, lang, tanguay, koivu...), and the key RFA's we need to re-sign are not due for huge raises.

I don't agree that all of those contracts are bad and who says some of them will not be resigned? Hamerlik also brings a much more rounded game. I don't hate Souray but I still think he is not worth the risk when you consider the fact that he has 3 years left and has been injured on and off during his career.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Le Gros Bill

Hammer has a no-trade clause...

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
strutsboa

Why did Souray leave Montreal? Didn't we want to give him that kind of money Edmonton gave or did he prefer Edmonton?

If we didn't match their bid, why did we then get Hamrlik for same money when Souray is a better player...?

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:44 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
Why did Souray leave Montreal? Didn't we want to give him that kind of money Edmonton gave or did he prefer Edmonton?

If we didn't match their bid, why did we then get Hamrlik for same money when Souray is a better player...?
We offered similar money to Edm but only after offering less (wich he might consider low-balling)and only after july 1st where other teams were in the bidding. Gainey apparenly still wanted both Hammer and Souray.
Sheldon seemed offended that he was nowhere near being a priority and that no serious offer was made until after the deadline while Markov was signed within a week or so.

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Gros Bill View Post
Hammer has a no-trade clause...
True but he did wanna sign with a Canadian team so I'm sure he would accept the move + with all the media crap that went on this year,I doubt he wouldn't accept

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
big_habs_fan

Say No to Souray - the money he gets paid can be spent much more effectively. Our powerplay was great down the stretch after aquiring Schneider and last I checked Souray and the Oilers were near the bottom of the league for PP efficiency. I think we finished near the top 10 - even after the lousy start. Save the money for a Kovalchuk, Lecavailer, Hossa, Bouwmeister, etc...

Just my opinion.

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Joe Cole

I always wondered if the reason Souray received so much 5 on 5 and even penalty kill minutes was because of his "status" on the team.

God knows, anyone could see that he looked like a bobblehead in the defensive end, his head swivling back and forth and side to side, always a few seconds too late to see the play develop all around him. Yet still... there he was, out there when the game was on he line, being a liability.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_habs_fan View Post
Say No to Souray - the money he gets paid can be spent much more effectively. Our powerplay was great down the stretch after aquiring Schneider and last I checked Souray and the Oilers were near the bottom of the league for PP efficiency. I think we finished near the top 10 - even after the lousy start. Save the money for a Kovalchuk, Lecavailer, Hossa, Bouwmeister, etc...

Just my opinion.
I agree with you but getting one of those players to come and play here ain't as easy as you think.We shall wait and see what happens at the draft

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Habs13

F Souray ; he took less to go elsewhere.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
F Souray ; he took less to go elsewhere.
You are misinformed. We offered him Hamrlik's contract at $5.5M per season for 4 years, so $22 million. He signed with the Oilers for 5 years at $5.4M per season and front loaded, for a total of $27 million with a no movement clause! Less you say?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:42 PM
habtastic

ehhhh...i'll take Streit before Souray. I have a feeling OB took lessons on how to be a defensive D from Shelly. We need good defencemen more than people who can just fire a shot

Snidy is reliable on D and has the shot. There are alot of other people like that too. Also, let's just see how Subban and McDo turn out...we may get lucky with their development speed.

also, Fisher has been known to go "top titty".

also, as mercurial as Hammer has been, he can be a very good D man. he was good tonight. just what we need (assuming Markov in the lineup).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote