HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rule Q - Picking Up An Extra Stick

Old
04-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Tyler

vCash: 500
Rule Q - Picking Up An Extra Stick

Not sure if this is the right place, but I've always wanted a little bit of clarificaiton on this question.

Is it against the rules to pick up the stick of a teammate that has lost his stick (ie - a goalie) and hand it to them while you're still holding your own stick?

I was penalized this for delay of game when I was like 12 years old, but I see it happen in the NHL lots of times with no penalty.

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

is it a penalty to hand the goalie his stick during play? no way, it happens all the time

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Tyler

Yeah that's what I thought.

Thanks.

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Yeah that's what I thought.

Thanks.
However, it is a penalty to play the puck while holding two sticks.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:49 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
It's "Official NHL Rulebook" time!!

From rule 10.5:
A player who participates in the play, who checks or who
intentionally prevents the movement of an opponent, or who
intentionally plays the puck while carrying two sticks (including while
taking a replacement stick to his goalkeeper) shall incur a minor
penalty...(fine-related crap follows).

From USA Hockey's rulebook.
A minor penalty shall be assessed to a player or goalkeeper
who participates in the play while he is in possession of
more than one stick, except that no penalty shall be assessed
to a player who is accidentally struck by the puck while he is
carrying a replacement stick to a teammate.

You got hosed, I'd file a grievance!

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right place, but I've always wanted a little bit of clarificaiton on this question.

Is it against the rules to pick up the stick of a teammate that has lost his stick (ie - a goalie) and hand it to them while you're still holding your own stick?

I was penalized this for delay of game when I was like 12 years old, but I see it happen in the NHL lots of times with no penalty.
you must have watched the Ranger game tonight. I thought it was a penalty to hold two stick as well. guess not though as long as you dont touch the puck.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
You've probably already seen this, but if not check it out. Apparently the refs in this game were a bit confused on the rule as well. I think it definitely should have been called, but it's hilarious and very strange to watch.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=633201

Last edited by jlr: 04-19-2009 at 10:25 PM.
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
You've probably already seen this, but if not check it out. Apparently the refs in this game were a bit confused on the rule as well. I think it definitely should have been called, but it's hilarious and very strange to watch.

[URL="http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=633201"]http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=633201[URL]

I tought of this thread also as soon as I saw this

Last edited by timbitca: 04-19-2009 at 11:22 PM.
timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:53 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Somewhat related but I had a teammate who scored with the butt end of his stick on a shootout attempt using it like a pool cue after a fancy move. Ref said no goal cause he used the wrong end of his stick.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Somewhat related but I had a teammate who scored with the butt end of his stick on a shootout attempt using it like a pool cue after a fancy move. Ref said no goal cause he used the wrong end of his stick.
If I can tip in a shot with the shaft of my stick, why can't I butt-end it in too?

*Very* unorthodox for a shootout, but I'd like to see a rulebook outright ban this technique.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
If I can tip in a shot with the shaft of my stick, why can't I butt-end it in too?

*Very* unorthodox for a shootout, but I'd like to see a rulebook outright ban this technique.
Check the rulebook under equipment. If the stick blade doesn't conform with the sizes listed, it's illegal equipment. If you use the stick upside down, you have no blade, thus illegal equipment.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Check the rulebook under equipment. If the stick blade doesn't conform with the sizes listed, it's illegal equipment. If you use the stick upside down, you have no blade, thus illegal equipment.
The blade is still very much there.....

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I remember a Caps game earlier this year were Theodore lost his stick, and it ended up being hit all the way to the blue-line. The Caps were on the PK and cleared the puck. Instead of skating out to the blue line and grabbing Theodore's stick and then skating all the way to Theodore. David Steckel threw Theodore's stick from the blue line back to Theodore.

He got a penalty.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
The blade is still very much there.....
Feel free to use that argument when you're sitting in the box.

Old
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Stripes

A note (from Hockey Canada rules) about picking up your goaltender's stick to give it to him. If you do this, you must go directly to your goaltender to give him the stick. If you drop the goaltender's stick to get back involved with the play, you're getting a penalty.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
MikeD

In USA hockey, if the stick is legal, the portion of it used to propell the puck into the net is of no consequence. Only a Ref making an off interpretation of the rules to suit his/her own sense of "honor" or "integrity of the game" would call such a penalty.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
In USA hockey, if the stick is legal, the portion of it used to propell the puck into the net is of no consequence. Only a Ref making an off interpretation of the rules to suit his/her own sense of "honor" or "integrity of the game" would call such a penalty.
I guess I missed that in the rulebook. Care to point out which rule that is?

Old
05-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Care to point out the rule that states this?

Old
05-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Note) A broken stick is one that, in the opinion of the
Referee, is unfit for normal play.
Under broken sticks. If you want to let a player use his stick in that manner in one of your games, that's your call. I choose to consider player safety as a factor just as if a player had broken his stick and was only using the shaft to continue play.

Thanks for asking.

Old
05-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Under broken sticks. If you want to let a player use his stick in that manner in one of your games, that's your call. I choose to consider player safety as a factor just as if a player had broken his stick and was only using the shaft to continue play.

Thanks for asking.
Just what about a stick turned upside down is a safety issue under the broken stick rule? The rule is broken sticks.

The call you should make is the call that you can defend the easiest. You would have a very hard time defending that call under the Broken Sticks rule because the stick is not broken.

If you can score by using the shaft of your stick, you can damn well score with the butt end of your stick. As a supervisor, if one of my referees made such a call, his next assignment would be on the lines.

Old
05-05-2009, 05:43 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Just what about a stick turned upside down is a safety issue under the broken stick rule? The rule is broken sticks.

The call you should make is the call that you can defend the easiest. You would have a very hard time defending that call under the Broken Sticks rule because the stick is not broken.

If you can score by using the shaft of your stick, you can damn well score with the butt end of your stick. As a supervisor, if one of my referees made such a call, his next assignment would be on the lines.
Then it's probably a good thing you'll never be a supervisor.

If the equipment is being used in a manner other than what it was designed for, and in my opinion it's a danger to others on the ice, it's not going to be on the ice. Anyone who puts their ego ahead of the safety of the kids playing the game doesn't need to be anywhere near the game, so stay behind your keyboard and off the ice. But you can dream.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Then it's probably a good thing you'll never be a supervisor.

If the equipment is being used in a manner other than what it was designed for, and in my opinion it's a danger to others on the ice, it's not going to be on the ice. Anyone who puts their ego ahead of the safety of the kids playing the game doesn't need to be anywhere near the game, so stay behind your keyboard and off the ice. But you can dream.
How can you say "you'll never be a supervisor" when you have no idea who you're talking to? By no means do I have a recognizable name, I am a supervisor. I have also been on the ice up to Jr.A.

How is holding your stick in the manner described (upside down) a safety issue? That's what you can't defend with the rulebook.

If I was supervising a game where the referee made the call you are trying unsuccessfully to defend, here is what I would point out to him...

The Broken Stick rule states that a broken stick is a stick that is, in the opinion of the referee, unfit for play. By disallowing this goal, you're not deeming the stick unfit for play, you're deeming the action of using the stick unfit for play, which would be incorrectly applying the rule.

Also, this rule is not the rule you should be applying in this situation. The goals and assists rule states that a goal shall be scored when the puck shall have been put between the goal posts by the stick of a player of the attacking team. It doesn't say how the stick should be held by the attacking player.

Last edited by Stripes: 05-05-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
How can you say "you'll never be a supervisor" when you have no idea who you're talking to? By no means do I have a recognizable name, I am a supervisor. I have also been on the ice up to Jr.A.

How is holding your stick in the manner described (upside down) a safety issue? That's what you can't defend with the rulebook.

If I was supervising a game where the referee made the call you are trying unsuccessfully to defend, here is what I would point out to him...

The Broken Stick rule states that a broken stick is a stick that is, in the opinion of the referee, unfit for play. By disallowing this goal, you're not deeming the stick unfit for play, you're deeming the action of using the stick unfit for play, which would be incorrectly applying the rule.

Also, this rule is not the rule you should be applying in this situation. The goals and assists rule states that a goal shall be scored when the puck shall have been put between the goal posts by the stick of a player of the attacking team. It doesn't say how the stick should be held by the attacking player.
Glad you were able to think up all those credentials, they add so much to your credibility. People on the internet never overstate their qualifications just to try and impress their point, so you really must be just as good as you say you are. A legend in your own mind.

Quote:
(Note) A broken stick is one that, in the opinion of the
Referee, is unfit for normal play.
That rule is all I need to support my arguement, and until you can show me a rule or a ruling that is more specific, I'll stand behind it. Normal play does not have players using their sticks butt end down. And please, don't ever let common sense and solid judgement enter into your thought process, let alone the safety of the players on the ice. Let your ego be your guide.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Glad you were able to think up all those credentials, they add so much to your credibility. People on the internet never overstate their qualifications just to try and impress their point, so you really must be just as good as you say you are. A legend in your own mind.

That rule is all I need to support my arguement, and until you can show me a rule or a ruling that is more specific, I'll stand behind it. Normal play does not have players using their sticks butt end down. And please, don't ever let common sense and solid judgement enter into your thought process, let alone the safety of the players on the ice. Let your ego be your guide.
Dude, you're wrong on this one, Stripes is pretty much the expert here on officiating. Give it up.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Stripes

Quote:
I don't post here looking for credibility. If you're going to suggest I "thought up" my credentials, then that's you're problem, not mine.

Quote:
You have yet to even attempt to defend why you would consider a player using his stick upside down a safety issue. You also did not attempt to refute my point that the Broken Stick rule is about deeming a STICK unfit for play, not how the stick is being used. There are stick fouls in the rulebook that govern how players can use their sticks. Playing with your stick upside down is not among those rules. Just because something isn't "normal play" doesn't automatically make it a safety issue. That's why you're wrong. You cannot defend your position to apply the Broken Stick rule when a stick isn't broken.

You obviously have a hard time when somebody tells you that you're wrong, but your judgment and application of this rule is not solid by any means. If applying the rules correctly is letting my ego be my guide, then I will let my ego be my guide.