HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

A Brit In Columbus

Old
04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Callum61

vCash: 500
A Brit In Columbus

Fellow Jackets!

I have been a fan for a couple of years now, and think its time i visited Nationwide. I am planning a trip for mid October and hope to catch a couple of games. I know that the schedule isnt released until late July, but I was wondering if people had any advice on when would be the best time to come?

I am looking to spend about 5 days in the city just to see the sights etc and watch the Buck Eyes.

Where are the places i need to go? As some of you are local, are there any websites that I might find useful?

Thank you in advance.

Jackets In 6 - CARRY THE FLAG

Callum61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

For the best weather come in early October.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I'd aim for mid-October, unless you're only interested in a pre-season game (the regular season starts around the 10th of October now thanks to the European mini-tours some teams play). I would imagine home game tickets might be a little harder to get now seeing as we have a winning team. (Nice problem to have, right?) Opening night always seems to be a near sellout, but if you go to the 2nd or 3rd home game, you might have a better time with tickets.

edit- Keep an eye on the schedule. Getting tickets for any home CBJ game may be made more difficult if we play Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Buffalo in the first couple weeks of the year.

As you might know, OSU football games are played on Saturday afternoons or Saturday nights. The home schedule for October is as follows (doing the dates the European way):
10/10/09- vs. Wisconsin (this could be a decent game)
24/10/09- vs. Minnesota
31/10/09- vs. New Mexico State

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 04-15-2009 at 03:18 PM.
CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:24 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

This will probably get merged with the Ticket/All Things Columbus thread but before it does...

There are plenty of nice hotels around the arena. If you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with a Hampton Inn in the states. They usually have less amenities than the nicer hotels but the quality and cleanliness for the money make them good bargains. If you can afford it, the Hyatt Regency or Drury Inn are very nice hotels but pricey.

There are far too many places around the arena for food and entertainment to list them all (for now) so I'll just list a couple.

Bostons Pizza - Gourmet pizza and other food. I haven't had anything here I didn't like. Filatov eats there a lot, apparently. Great atmosphere and a very diverse menu.

BD's Mongolian BBQ - Very good Mongolian BBQ. Not sure if you have anything like this in the UK but a few British friends of mine love the place.

O'Shaughnessey's - Irish Pub. Typical pub style for America, in that they're all based off pubs in the UK and Ireland. If you get a little homesick while you're here, this is probably the place to go.

Brothers & Gaswerks- College bars. There will be lots of OSU kids at both these bars on Friday and Saturday nights.

Sugar & Spice - Clubs. Owned by the same people but technically different places.

I also recommend checking out events at the Columbus Convention Center as they will effect hotel availability and rates.

Links:

http://www.arenadistrict.com/ - Events and info for the Arena District.

http://www.columbusconventions.com/calendarofevents.php - Events for the Columbus Convention Center

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Columbus.../artist/805927 - Blue Jackets site at Ticketmaster.com for purchasing tickets.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Bobcat110

If you have the least bit of interest in "thrill" rides(roller coasters), a trip to Cedar Point is a must. They have 17 roller coasters and many of them have set some type of world record in terms of height or speed when they were built. They have 3 of the top 10 steel coasters in the world. It's around an 1 hour 45 minute drive up to Lake Erie and is typically open Friday nights, Saturday and Sundays in October.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/par...ters/index.cfm

Bobcat110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Callum61

Thank you all so much for everything so far.

Callum61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
If you have the least bit of interest in "thrill" rides(roller coasters), a trip to Cedar Point is a must. They have 17 roller coasters and many of them have set some type of world record in terms of height or speed when they were built. They have 3 of the top 10 steel coasters in the world. It's around an 1 hour 45 minute drive up to Lake Erie and is typically open Friday nights, Saturday and Sundays in October.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/par...ters/index.cfm

Last time I went to Cedar Point, I rode that ride 10 times and those videos don't even begin to justify the thrill of it.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Last time I went to Cedar Point, I rode that ride 10 times and those videos don't even begin to justify the thrill of it.
Yeah it's hard to translate 120MPH (194KMH) and 420 Feet (128 meters) into a grainy youtube video.

Bobcat110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
chaking

seeing a buckeye game and blue jackets game on the same weekend might be difficult... they usually try to stay away from each other.

I would say you should come on the first saturday of a month though... They have the 'gallery hop' those weekends and it really adds some flavor to the area (Short North - 1/4 mile from arena) for the weekend.

You might be able to find a thursday, friday, sunday or monday blue jackets game and still be able to attend a buckeyes game on saturday. If the gallery hop is happening too, the area will be very alive.

chaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaking View Post
seeing a buckeye game and blue jackets game on the same weekend might be difficult... they usually try to stay away from each other.

I would say you should come on the first saturday of a month though... They have the 'gallery hop' those weekends and it really adds some flavor to the area (Short North - 1/4 mile from arena) for the weekend.

You might be able to find a thursday, friday, sunday or monday blue jackets game and still be able to attend a buckeyes game on saturday. If the gallery hop is happening too, the area will be very alive.
When gallery hop nights coincide with home Buckeyes football games and Blue Jackets home games, Columbus turns into a city with three times the population

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:28 PM
alosufan1

welcome!

There are a lot of Brits in Columbus.

I am half British myself.

make a point to check out an OSU game- closest thing to a European Soccer crowd

alosufan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:04 PM
mokkan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
When gallery hop nights coincide with home Buckeyes football games and Blue Jackets home games, Columbus turns into a city with three times the population
Lol, we aren't Happy Valley. Columbus has over a million people. The 'Shoe holds ~105,000 and N'wide holds ~18,000. Not exactly tripling, but nonetheless, a full house at either venue is a sight to behold.

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
oxetamu

If you are coming to Columbus in October be sure to check out The All American Quarter Horse Congress at the fairgrounds. It's the world's largest single breed horse show and goes on for most of the month. I have take many "non-horse" friends to over the years and they have always been amazed.

oxetamu is offline   Reply With Quote