HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Maloney Chronology

Old
12-25-2008, 07:26 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Has there been any press that Don's deals have to get league office approval now due to the Coyotes financial situation?
Nothing that I've seen.

The only NHL financial obligation claim I've seen publicized is that the "NHL advanced the team $ that otherwise would have been paid to them later in the season". Presumably from the centrally generated revenue and/or revenue sharing pools. Also noted this isn't unique and the league has done so for other teams in the past.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Nothing that I've seen.

The only NHL financial obligation claim I've seen publicized is that the "NHL advanced the team $ that otherwise would have been paid to them later in the season". Presumably from the centrally generated revenue and/or revenue sharing pools. Also noted this isn't unique and the league has done so for other teams in the past.
Quote:
The NHL hasn't taken over control of the Phoenix Coyotes, but it is taking an active role in trying to find new investors or ownership for the financially strapped franchise and is being kept apprised of any "significant" financial decisions the team makes, ESPN.com reported, citing league sources.
link
Only thing I was able to find

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Anyone watching the WJC USA/Czech game? They were just interviewing DM in the stands, but I'm watching at a restaurant with no volume.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Anyone watching the WJC USA/Czech game? They were just interviewing DM in the stands, but I'm watching at a restaurant with no volume.
I'm watching, but on DVR, so I haven't seen the interview yet. I'll fill you in once I get to that point in my recording. Thanks to that lovely little box, I'm now watching my fourth full hockey game of the day. Perfect for my hungover, lazy, don't wanna do nuthin, Sunday afternoon, no good, hockey loving ass.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
It was mostly fluff about how the WJC's have a lot of talent, is a world class tournament, etc. etc.
He did make an interesting comment about how watching the WJC's lets you see first hand many different prospects which can come in handy later on should you want to trade for one of them.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yup. Guy asked DM why all the GMs are at the WJCs. Maloney explained that these are the future best, and any info. he can gather could be usefull in the future. Guy made a comment about Ruzicka being a Phoenix pick, and about it being something like the twenty year anniversary of Maloney being traded for Colin Wilson's dad. Nothing at all worthwhile.

Old
12-31-2008, 05:10 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Maloney's a beast.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
Hey all... we got a chance to talk to Don at the last booster club meeting of the year. I posted the notes from the meeting if you are interested.

http://blog.coyoteshipcheck.com/2009...t-don-maloney/

Z4dfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4dfence View Post
Hey all... we got a chance to talk to Don at the last booster club meeting of the year. I posted the notes from the meeting if you are interested.

That's pretty damned good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'm wondering if Carcillo has uber hatred for Roenick for being the 3rd person in the scrum that led to his knee injury.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So many interesting things there! Thanks very much for posting! A few questions, though. Regarding the coaching staff, did he actually say the words "Of course the staff will be evaluated and it appears that some changes may need to be made. Anytime a team does what this one has, the staff is going to get a good long look to see if there is anything the organization can do to improve in that direction."?

Also, when talking about his top six, did he actually mention Cowen's knee, specifically? And did he mean the knee is or isn't a concern?

Old
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
ducky

From that interview...

GMDM: "Well it all depends on where we pick of course. Right now, I see the top 6 as Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane, Cowan (despite the knee concerns) and possibly Kadri. We will of course go with the best plaer available"

No mention of Schenn?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

No mention of Schenn or MSP (MPS) in his top 6. I don't think Maloney likes rt.

If they draft Kadri at the 6th pick with those two still available I will insta-vomit.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:22 AM
zz

Quote:

This one blog post had 10x more valuable information than the aggregate of all Coyote media coverage over the past year. Thanks for sharing!

I'm relieved they haven't given up on Lisin, and that Morris + Telqvist may come back. Montoya looked good, but assuming he'll be next year's backup would be a very risky move.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:01 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
That's pretty damned good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I'm wondering if Carcillo has uber hatred for Roenick for being the 3rd person in the scrum that led to his knee injury.
"The issues grew and we didnít think it would be good for a team with such a large group of youngsters to be affected by the circumstances/behavior."

I think thats the more relevant part of it. There an awful lot of suggestion that it was off ice behavior in his response.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Z4dfence

The Cowans knee thing was an exchange (there were a group of us and in between each question there was lil mini exchanges) I'll check with Odie and confirm if he got who said what first about Cowan.

And he was even more blunt about the staff. The tone indicated that somebody (not Wayne) would be out the door.

He did not specifically mention Schennie, but you know how cagey he can be... he might be parading these other guys out to disguise his real intent. He's a wily bastage.

Old
04-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Z4dfence

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
"The issues grew and we didnít think it would be good for a team with such a large group of youngsters to be affected by the circumstances/behavior."

I think thats the more relevant part of it. There an awful lot of suggestion that it was off ice behavior in his response.
There was lot of off ice unofficial gossip that partyin played a large part in the behavioral issues... totally unofficial and gossipy

Old
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Z4dfence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
No mention of Schenn or MSP (MPS) in his top 6. I don't think Maloney likes rt.

If they draft Kadri at the 6th pick with those two still available I will insta-vomit.
If it makes you feel better the whole mention was.. and the Kad kid from London looks pretty good, we'll see (more like a throw in than a real 6th guy tone to me... made me wonder if they are thinkin about using the CAL 1st and some other pick/package to move up and grab a another high 1st round pick?)

Old
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
indczn

Right, unofficially, of course. Thought i might have heard that somewhere, was just curious.

Old
04-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Z4 - a great blog - thanks for sharing.

Lots of interesting info but the biggest surprise to me was that he rated getting Jokinen's salary off the books as his best move!

Most worrying aspect for me was that he wants Lisin to sign a 2-way deal. Obviously he's going to have a starting point but I hope that doesnt end up with Lisin going to the KHL. I think Lisin has done enough to earn a 1 way deal to show what he has in the NHL and not be shuttled back and forth.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Z4dfence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Z4 - a great blog - thanks for sharing.

Lots of interesting info but the biggest surprise to me was that he rated getting Jokinen's salary off the books as his best move!

Most worrying aspect for me was that he wants Lisin to sign a 2-way deal. Obviously he's going to have a starting point but I hope that doesnt end up with Lisin going to the KHL. I think Lisin has done enough to earn a 1 way deal to show what he has in the NHL and not be shuttled back and forth.
You guys say the sweetest things LOL always glad to contribute where I can. (even tho I often screw up RT's entire day with my lack of a recorder)

I really thought GMDM would say the Upshall deal! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Then I had to remember that he was a guest not a real interview and not press for details on why he felt so strongly about Joker being gone (Don is always really straight almost blunt when asked about specifics) but it was Booster Club and positivity reigns there so I didn't ask the really dark questions on my mind.

As for Lisin, I don't think he'll run (actually I don't think there is a place to run to) the KHL is having its own struggles and unless he was a superstar already I don't think they'll be shelling out $$ or TOI like he could possibly earn here.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
(even tho I often screw up RT's entire day with my lack of a recorder)
No way! I love the blog! It's nice to see hockey covered by someone who actually follows and gives a **** about hockey, but isn't payed by the organization. I don't think we've ever had that in Arizona. Recorder, or not, I really appreciate reading.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:05 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
This one blog post had 10x more valuable information than the aggregate of all Coyote media coverage over the past year. Thanks for sharing!
It is true and that is just sad. I wish there was decent, not good but decent, coverage. Thankfully we get good stuff here. Thanks Z.

Quote:
I'm relieved they haven't given up on Lisin, and that Morris + Telqvist may come back. Montoya looked good, but assuming he'll be next year's backup would be a very risky move.
I will second that. Tellqvist sounds like a good guy to have in the room in addition to being a solid back up goalie. I doubt I need to add to the many comments I have already made about Lisin and Morris.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Z4dfence

My only concern is that Telly won't WANT to come back. For what? a measly 10-15 games? I wouldn't if I were him unless it was all I could get. They have got to stop ridin Bryzzie 10+ games at a time. He just isn't that kinda goalie yet (if he ever will be). Am I wrong for wanting more of a true tandem situation? At least GMDM acknowledges the need to push Bryz and will look at options, but if you never play the option, it doesn't push him anyway.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
indczn

Quote:
You guys say the sweetest things LOL always glad to contribute where I can. (even tho I often screw up RT's entire day with my lack of a recorder)

I really thought GMDM would say the Upshall deal! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Then I had to remember that he was a guest not a real interview and not press for details on why he felt so strongly about Joker being gone (Don is always really straight almost blunt when asked about specifics) but it was Booster Club and positivity reigns there so I didn't ask the really dark questions on my mind.

As for Lisin, I don't think he'll run (actually I don't think there is a place to run to) the KHL is having its own struggles and unless he was a superstar already I don't think they'll be shelling out $$ or TOI like he could possibly earn here.
I thought both the joker and carcillo trades were very good (even though i said otherwise at the deadline) going off that unofficial gossipy that i've heard, although i would love to heard what Maloney really thought about the whole Jokinen problem.

Anyway, appreciate the blogging.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
zz

Quote:
My only concern is that Telly won't WANT to come back. For what? a measly 10-15 games? I wouldn't if I were him unless it was all I could get. They have got to stop ridin Bryzzie 10+ games at a time. He just isn't that kinda goalie yet (if he ever will be). Am I wrong for wanting more of a true tandem situation? At least GMDM acknowledges the need to push Bryz and will look at options, but if you never play the option, it doesn't push him anyway.
It all depends whether Tellqvist thinks of himself as a starter or not. He's still pretty young for a goalie. If he believes he can be the real thing somewhere else, he won't come back. He knows there's almost zero possiblity for him to get another shot at being our starter, everybody's moved on. He'll be expected to play 10 - 20 games / season for $1 M tops until a kid's ready for prime time.

That's not too bad if the guy doesn't think too highly of himself - it's an NHL contract, and he gets to live in a pleasant, sunny area. I just don't what his state of mind is like. I can think of a couple of places that would potentially offer him an oportunity to shine in playoff series like Bryzgalov did with Anaheim. That would give his career a huge boost, and wouldn't shock me. I know the guy can look good over a 5-game span.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote