HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray wants out? Part 2

Old
04-16-2009, 01:52 AM
alanschu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yes because every day Joes are never friends of players or players families or friends, especially people from the area. What would you say if I told you that I know a players relative and I met him/her on this very site???
I actually do know one of Souray's cousins. We play on the same volleyball team haha

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
If you don't have to justify yourself or waste your time defending your contacts, then why did you even post this? Seems odd, is all.
Because you asked for a link and in essence said that no link = false.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:54 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Because you asked for a link and in essence said that no link = false.
No link = no credibility.

Evidence your claim or get out - those aren't only my standards, they are the actual rules of this message board.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:54 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I actually do know one of Souray's cousins. We play on the same volleyball team haha
Cool, I have no reason to question that, you have never come across as having questionable character (just questionable coaching preference )

Do you still play B-ball???

Old
04-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
No link = no credibility.

Evidence your claim or get out - those aren't only my standards, they are the actual rules of this message board.
To each their own, I'm just saying that there are people out there that say things off the record or in confidence. Don't be so quick to call people out as some of them are bound to be telling the truth just as some are bound to be full of it.

Old
04-16-2009, 01:57 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Cool, I have no reason to question that, you have never come across as having questionable character (just questionable coaching preference )

Do you still play B-ball???

Not since I destroyed my ankle in early December landing on someone's foot in Volleyball I'm not sure how but I somehow did damage medially AND laterally. Was on crutches for a month. Just started resistance training to strengthen it the past month or so, and it's finally getting better!

Though my Men's league team just qualified for the playoffs.

I haven't spoken with my friend about Souray's intentions (she might not even know), but she and I did discuss his shoulder (though pre-surgery in his time here) and how it pretty much hurts after every game. I don't know if that is still the case or not.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Not since I destroyed my ankle in early December landing on someone's foot in Volleyball I'm not sure how but I somehow did damage medially AND laterally. Was on crutches for a month. Just started resistance training to strengthen it the past month or so, and it's finally getting better!

Though my Men's league team just qualified for the playoffs.

I haven't spoken with my friend about Souray's intentions (she might not even know), but she and I did discuss his shoulder (though pre-surgery in his time here) and how it pretty much hurts after every game. I don't know if that is still the case or not.
Yeah that is a wonderful thing, I did that a number of times playing b-ball. Hurts like a mother!!! I haven't played for years, but I loved the game in high school.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:02 AM
alanschu

It's crazy how much it cracks now. Can feel the scar tissue moving around all over.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
It's crazy how much it cracks now. Can feel the scar tissue moving around all over.
Now you're reminding me why I don't play ball anymore. I most certainly don't miss those types of injuries at ALL!!!

Old
04-16-2009, 02:08 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Now you're reminding me why I don't play ball anymore. I most certainly don't miss those types of injuries at ALL!!!
I have a morbid fascination with the sensation. While laying in bed I'm always making circles with my ankle haha.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I have a morbid fascination with the sensation. While laying in bed I'm always making circles with my ankle haha.
My personal favorite is every time I see someone roll their ankle I grimace and feel it in my ankle (seems like it although I'm sure that I'm just remembering the pain). I'm the same way though if it hurts I keep messing with it

Old
04-16-2009, 02:41 AM
alanschu

Sympathy pain is not uncommon, and I feel it whenever I see someone suffer an injury I have suffered in the past too.

Old
04-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Ssseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Agree with Heists take. Brownlee has gone south and has been hit with the blog bug. So much more fun to say anything and make it up.

Of all the players on this club this year the last I would expect were dissatisfied would be Roli and Souray.

Based on their intensity and play.

Warriors both and among the few.

Judged from that perspective I don't buy these rumors.

Sourays year long play and demeanor suggested the Oildrop meant something.

Isn't "on the ice" an obvious place to look to see how a player is fitting in?
I'd say Brownlee won this round. TKO.

Old fogies like him have learned to think THEN type, not the other way around. Although newspapers don't have the luxury of an edit button I suppose.

No hard feelings Replacement, I just couldn't help but chuckle when I saw your name come up at OilersNation this morning.

Ssseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssseth View Post
I'd say Brownlee won this round. TKO.

Old fogies like him have learned to think THEN type, not the other way around. Although newspapers don't have the luxury of an edit button I suppose.

No hard feelings Replacement, I just couldn't help but chuckle when I saw your name come up at OilersNation this morning.
Pretty much confirms my assessment of Brownlee. I'll leave that at that.

Of course if I lowered myself to the level Brownlee went I'd get points here. Let the readers consider that..

As far as Brownlees backpedaling he made it a story, decided it was a story, and that it had legs.

Mentioning "rumours" does not sway the editorial license he took in that piece and he should know that. In fact, his invocation of "rumours" is in context used, and in plural, an indication from him that something is repeatedly up. As if to back his supposition.

For instance:

Quote:
Rumours Souray has asked to be dealt began several weeks ago and they’ve persisted since. To this point, neither Souray or anybody in the Oilers front office has gone on the record to put the talk to rest. Until that happens, and there’s a flat-out denial from one of the parties, this has legs.

Last edited by Replacement: 04-16-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Boilers*

Quote:

Good for you to leave it alone.

Edit: Nevermind.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
It's against the site rules to make such claims without evidence.

If you are referring to DashingSilverFox, then let him prove it or shut up and GTFO. Until then, I'll continue to value the opinions of regular joes on this board at zero and listen to the media rumblings.
You're never going to learn anything fun that way.

The "prove it or shut up logic" makes no sense. Why would anyone start parading that stuff around? They don't need to and why should they?

We've had reliable sources that were kind enough to post here in the past in a respectable way and help us out. We've also had many more who speak to things privately. Whether you want to believe this is your business, but you don't need to slag on it or try to "out" people.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
frag2

Quote:
Too bad you aren't credible because you know, its on HF

I love how SK13 is denouncing everyone that has personal connections to Oiler members/media/family. hahaha

I'm really good friends with Pisani's cousin [I think I've been saying that for years lol]. I wonder how less credible I am...

It makes sense for the rules to not allow unsubstantiated "rumors" to be discussed as that would hamper the credibility of the site and its rep but thats part of life, not everything MUST go through the media to be true.

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
You're never going to learn anything fun that way.

The "prove it or shut up logic" makes no sense. Why would anyone start parading that stuff around? They don't need to and why should they?

We've had reliable sources that were kind enough to post here in the past in a respectable way and help us out. We've also had many more who speak to things privately. Whether you want to believe this is your business, but you don't need to slag on it or try to "out" people.
Just frequent Purple Onion, I hear many Oilers discuss their issues there

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Hmm, I met one of Souray's cousins the other week playing in Walmac - maybe the same guy? Then again, who knows how many cousins he has :p

Edit: nvm, you said 'she'

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:52 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:

Of course if I lowered myself to the level Brownlee went I'd get points here. Let the readers consider that..

As far as Brownlees backpedaling he made it a story, decided it was a story, and that it had legs.

Mentioning "rumours" does not sway the editorial license he took in that piece and he should know that. In fact, his invocation of "rumours" is in context used, and in plural, an indication from him that something is repeatedly up. As if to back his supposition.

For instance:
Hey Replacement, before I start: no more avatar bets for you. Tiger was so upset that you're not using his wife's picture as his avatar that he hit a tree smack in the middle. As big a fan of Curtis as I am, I also miss Tiger's wife...you need to think of the people you may hurt when you make these bets

....anyway, on to my main comments.

Congrats on the call out by Brownlee. This idea of MSM or prominent bloggers going after HF Board posters is a bit of a hobby horse of mine. Before I start, I should say that have I always really liked Brownlee as an Oiler reporter. I should also say that I have a general disdain for fascination almost all of the hockey media has with getting insider information and scoops on gossip, so I don't mean to pick on him specifically, since I know that the rumour based hockey media world is the world he lives in.

That being said, as you may recall from a similar (and I should say very pleasant) incident involving me and David Staples last year, I think the media, including bloggers need to adopt a bit of a change in their paradigm about hockey discussion boards like HF Boards. I view HF boards as a proxy for having a discussion about hockey in a bar, over a beer, but with a much wider group of buddies to talk with, and a much more focused interest in a subject that interests me. I should also mention that I have stayed at HF Boards specifically because I enjoy the fellowship and have gained some familiarity and affinity to a number of posters like yourself over a period of time. I disagree with you and people like DSF a lot on our main topic of interest, but its all part of the fun of the exchange.

What bothers me (a bit) about "call outs" like Brownlee did to you is that he and some others seem to think of HF as an alternative media, but without the accountability. In the sense that it's public he's right I guess, but that's just the medium, it's not what I'm going for. We of course need to be very mindful of not making libelous statements, but I'd hope that people who disagree with something we say as posters is just "chatter" an not particularly a propos of anything. In that sense, I differentiate this board from the blogs that quite a few former HF Board regulars have set up. I think that purpose built blogs are approaching the area of alternative media outlets and probably should be held to some of the MSM rules, although even Brownlee seemed to acknowledge that blogs are in a different realm for journalistic standards and non-attributed comments than he used to have to follow at a newspaper.

I can understand that to the extent that you and I have made comments about Robin Brownlee in a post, I can understand that he would want to respond. However, my preference would be that rather than calling you out in his blog, he should join our conversation and tell you what's up. Furthering my bar analogy, I wish that he would view this along the lines that he's listening to a conversation at the bar at an adjacent table and hears his name pop up, and perhaps be taken a bit in vain. In that situation, I'd rather he pull up his chair to our table and politely mention "you know that's me you're talking about...."

Anyway Robin, if you happen to tune into this, keep on doing what you're doing, but maybe think about stopping by for an actual chat once and a while.

Signed, the annomous internet poster who calls himself hillbillypriest.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 02:02 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Hey Replacement, before I start: no more avatar bets for you. Tiger was so upset that you're not using his wife's picture as his avatar that he hit a tree smack in the middle. As big a fan of Curtis as I am, I also miss Tiger's wife...you need to think of the people you may hurt when you make these bets

Congrats on the call out by Brownlee. This idea of MSM or prominent bloggers going after HF Board posters is a bit of a hobby horse of mine. Before I start, I should say that have I always really liked Brownlee as an Oiler reporter. I should also say that I have a general disdain for fascination almost all of the hockey media has with getting insider information and scoops on gossip, so I don't mean to pick on him specifically, since I know that the rumour based hockey media world is the world he lives in.

That being said, as you may recall from a similar (and I should say very pleasant) incident involving me and David Staples last year, I think the media, including bloggers need to adopt a bit of a change in their paradigm about hockey discussion boards like HF Boards. I view HF boards as a proxy for having a discussion about hockey in a bar, over a beer, but with a much wider group of buddies to talk with, and a much more focused interest in a subject that interests me. I should also mention that I have stayed at HF Boards specifically because I enjoy the fellowship and have gained some familiarity and affinity to a number of posters like yourself over a period of time. I disagree with you and people like DSF a lot on our main topic of interest, but its all part of the fun of the exchange.

What bothers me (a bit) about "call outs" like Brownlee did to you is that he and some others seem to think of HF as an alternative media, but without the accountability. In the sense that it's public he's right I guess, but that's just the medium, it's not what I'm going for. We of course need to be very mindful of not making libelous statements, but I'd hope that people who disagree with something we say as posters is just "chatter" an not particularly a propos of anything. In that sense, I differentiate this board from the blogs that quite a few former HF Board regulars have set up. I think that purpose built blogs are approaching the area of alternative media outlets and probably should be held to some of the MSM rules, although even Brownlee seemed to acknowledge that blogs are in a different realm for journalistic standards and non-attributed comments than he used to have to follow at a newspaper.

I can understand that to the extent that you and I have made comments about Robin Brownlee in a post, I can understand that he would want to respond. However, my preference would be that rather than calling you out in his blog, he should join our conversation and tell you what's up. Furthering my bar analogy, I wish that he would view this along the lines that he's listening to a conversation at the bar at an adjacent table and hears his name pop up, and perhaps be taken a bit in vain. In that situation, I'd rather he pull up his chair to our table and politely mention "you know that's me you're talking about...."

Anyway Robin, if you happen to tune into this, keep on doing what you're doing, but maybe think about stopping by for an actual chat once and a while.

I know this was intended for Replacement but I heard my name so I'll pull up a chair.

That is exactly the way I view HF as well. And couldn't agree more on calling someone out in a different forum.

I really have no problem at all with the way Brownlee handled the original story, given the context and it's means of delivery, but if he takes issue with those who don't agree with me (or him) it would just be polite to do it here unless Replacement wishes to visit ON.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 02:09 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:

Nice post. I agree with you sentiments and your conversation analogy. I never understand why people would look at this as anything other than that. That being said, Im sure Robin might counter with the idea that Replacement go to ON to call him out. Im not sure why he chose Replacement and Homesick specifically to pick on as I seem to remember others who were calling his integrity into question.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Heist

Quote:

For instance:
Aww, that would make for some good reading

I agree though, that it was immature. "IDrinkMomma’sPee", come on isn't he supposed to be a grown man? He should realise that when he starts speaking of such rumors if he has little evidence to back them up people will be skeptical and that as a forum people have license to say what they feel. If they go over the line the mods can deal with it.

Basically I agree with everything hillbillypriest and DSF said, they're just better with words than I am.

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Ssseth

Quote:

Some very interesting points I had never thought of before. Well put and I can see where you are coming from.

Although I've been around a lot of different forums over the years, I'm a lot newer to this particular one than a lot of folks here. Since I know that other people (media, Oilers staff, bloggers, etc) read these forums I've always tried to keep that in mind when posting. I think of HF as a much more public place than you do. Again though, I wasn't around HF forums before the bloggers and media folks started joining in.

Just as the internet has brought us closer to the media, it has also brought them closer to us. The lines are a bit blurred and I think these are definitely some of the learning years.

I guess what I'm trying to say it, things have changed. There definitely should be some middle ground, but I think it's only fair to understand that what you post is no longer as private as it once was. If you call out someone I can understand them responding, especially ones not held back by regular MSM restraints (Brownlee, Gregor, Staples, etc). Exactly where they post that reply though, I can see where you are coming from on that point.

The upside to it all though is that the common fan, the "anonymous internet poster" as you put it, has a voice that can be heard. To me that is pretty powerful and an exciting prospect. Media is going to have no choice in the coming years but to adapt to us, the fans. I'd say this is just the start (it will be a bumpy ride no doubt) and one way or another that is a breath of fresh air to me.

Ssseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Giant Moo

Great post, hillbillypriest. Love the analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I agree though, that it was immature. "IDrinkMomma’sPee", come on isn't he supposed to be a grown man.
I don't understand the name-calling, either. Did he just pull that out of his (hat) or is there some deeper meaning there?

Given other media peeps like Tencer and Gregor and Flaming and Bobby Mac and Mirtle and so on all post here, I'm not sure why Brownlee doesn't post here. He should grow a pair and grab a seat at the bar next to the taps.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote