HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carcillo suspended one game (post #81)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2009, 02:05 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 500
To me, the Flyers have to answer a question. Is the ultimate goal to win the Stanley Cup or to go as far as they can playing Flyers hockey? Because until we knock of the "message sending" crap like this or the crashing into the goalies like Hartnell, we are NEVER going to get the marginal whistles that become pretty critical deep in the playoffs.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
To me, the Flyers have to answer a question. Is the ultimate goal to win the Stanley Cup or to go as far as they can playing Flyers hockey? Because until we knock of the "message sending" crap like this or the crashing into the goalies like Hartnell, we are NEVER going to get the marginal whistles that become pretty critical deep in the playoffs.
Hartnall had a horrible game penalty wise, but he was forcefully pushed into the goalie. It was obvious.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Yeah, he was pushed but he didn't exactly try to NOT hit Fleury in the face/chest. I've been in those situations 100's of times, it's reactional to get your hands up to protect your face, but he didn't really do that.

I still don't think it should be a penalty though, let Fleury suffer for Letang's stupidity.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 485
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Isnt it Stevens fault if Carcillo was on the ice late in a game?

Old
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
fine.
suspend Guerin as well for instigating that fight with Coburn in the closing seconds.
Suspend Fleury for taking a cheapshot on Knuble's head AFTER the goal was scored.

Wait, or did Pens fans not see it?

Old
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
fine.
suspend Guerin as well for instigating that fight with Coburn in the closing seconds.
Guerin wasn't called for an instigator penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Isnt it Stevens fault if Carcillo was on the ice late in a game?
Yes. Carcillo shouldn't have been on the ice, especially since the league told each team not to send any messages in the dying minutes of any game.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
dr.rosenrosen

you have to send a message at the end of a game like that. you can't let the penguins think that they can walk all over you. if he gets two so bit it it's not like we're going to miss him. what we need to do is stop taking stupid penalties. like harts knee to knee hit. and we need to get back into playing our game(what ever that is) and play more north-south hockey and less east-west type of stuff. i don't know when it happened but for some odd reason the carter line thinks they're on the red wings or something.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
BS. Suspend Guerin too, then. That'd be a win for us at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
Exactly, he just went and attacked Coburn after the faceoff as Coburn backed away, then bear hugged him and dropped to the ice. Yet he gets no instigator penalty, and Carcillo is the one with a hearing today.

I hate the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
How about Guerin and the instigation against Coburn with 10 seconds to go?

Fair? OK? The NHL hates us, face it.

We are the bad boys of the NHL.
Did you guys see what happened? Right off the faceoff Coburn came down with a two-hander or Guerin's ankle. There's no way they should have called an instigator penalty on Guerin for that "fight".

Old
04-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Did you guys see what happened? Right off the faceoff Coburn came down with a two-hander or Guerin's ankle. There's no way they should have called an instigator penalty on Guerin for that "fight".
Except Coburn wasn't interested in fighting at all. Guerin dropped the gloves and went after him before Coburn was good to go.

That's instigation. A slash doesn't mean you get to fight like that.

'Course, I think the instigator penalty should be removed from the game...but that was obvious "instigation."

Old
04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Hartnall had a horrible game penalty wise, but he was forcefully pushed into the goalie. It was obvious.
That's nice, and would actually be relevant if that was the rule interpretation in the NHL. However, it is not. The NHL requires the offensive player to make an active effort to avoid contact with the goalie in order to not get a penalty, and as soon as Hartnell felt the push, he went into Fleury wholeheartedly.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:36 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
you have to send a message at the end of a game like that. you can't let the penguins think that they can walk all over you. if he gets two so bit it it's not like we're going to miss him. what we need to do is stop taking stupid penalties. like harts knee to knee hit. and we need to get back into playing our game(what ever that is) and play more north-south hockey and less east-west type of stuff. i don't know when it happened but for some odd reason the carter line thinks they're on the red wings or something.
The only message that was useful was the one Gagne sent.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Except Coburn wasn't interested in fighting at all. Guerin dropped the gloves and went after him before Coburn was good to go.

That's instigation. A slash doesn't mean you get to fight like that.

'Course, I think the instigator penalty should be removed from the game...but that was obvious "instigation."
Coburn slashed him on the ankle then Guerin gave him a few little pushes and Coburn then pushed him back and sent him back a good 5 feet. That's when Guerin came back and dropped the gloves. Someone has the be the first to drop the gloves in almost every fight, other than those ridiculous staged fights. They went back and forth for a good 4-5 seconds(which is a long time in hockey) before they fought. Its not like off the face off Coburn slashed Guerin and then Guerin instantly dropped the gloves and went after Coburn. Coburn just before that face off was trying to get after Guerin and the refs held him back. I dont think that was instigation at all.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Coburn slashed him on the ankle then Guerin gave him a few little pushes and Coburn then pushed him back and sent him back a good 5 feet. That's when Guerin came back and dropped the gloves. Someone has the be the first to drop the gloves in almost every fight, other than those ridiculous staged fights. They went back and forth for a good 4-5 seconds(which is a long time in hockey) before they fought. Its not like off the face off Coburn slashed Guerin and then Guerin instantly dropped the gloves and went after Coburn. Coburn just before that face off was trying to get after Guerin and the refs held him back. I dont think that was instigation at all.
Seriously? Have you not been watching the NHL since they instituted the instigator rule? 95% of the fights are those "staged" fights. And if you drop your gloves first and go after a guy that hasn't dropped his (what Guerin did), then that's "instigating" the fight.

Note: I'm not saying I have any real problem with what Guerin did, the game was chippy at that point and we'd just gotten a bit liberal with some of their players--the exact thing I'm sure the officials were thinking.

However, that was instigation by definition in the NHL rulebook. It's a stupid rule, and that is what you're reacting to...but you and I didn't write it as it is written, but the sport is supposedly governed by it.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
MountainHawk

I'd have to go back and watch it again, but during the game, my reaction was the same as Jester's ... it was textbook instigation. If Coburn slashed him, then it's 2 and 5 for Coburn, and 2, 5, and 10 for Guerin.

Old
04-16-2009, 02:54 PM
mm6492

I agrre with Jester. According to teh rules, that was probably an instiugation penalty. But I hate that rule

Old
04-16-2009, 03:09 PM
sg12lw

this is dumb its ****in hockey

**** you bettman

Old
04-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Brophy

**** this ********. no surprise.

Old
04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

The Big Bad Philadelphia Flyers

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Guerin wasn't called for an instigator penalty.

Yes. Carcillo shouldn't have been on the ice, especially since the league told each team not to send any messages in the dying minutes of any game.
Going to disagree, last 6 seconds chippy game, the pens aren't putting malkin, crosby, stall out there. We aren't putting any of our top 6 or giroux/briere out there. That leaves Ross, Powe, Carcillo. Powe had just been out there, not sure about carcillo/ross or who were the last 3 flyers on the ice. But Stevens didn't have a lot of options between the 3 guys in the box and the guys who were sent off.

Old
04-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
Going to disagree, last 6 seconds chippy game, the pens aren't putting malkin, crosby, stall out there. We aren't putting any of our top 6 or giroux/briere out there. That leaves Ross, Powe, Carcillo. Powe had just been out there, not sure about carcillo/ross or who were the last 3 flyers on the ice. But Stevens didn't have a lot of options between the 3 guys in the box and the guys who were sent off.
It wasnt a chippy game until we made it one. Also the league sent out a note to all teams that last minute physical statements will not be accepted and will therefore be reprimanded for such actions.

Old
04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
The Pens weren't going to start anything. Why give the Flyers any extra motivation for Game 2? Powe and Knuble would have been fine. Hell, Richards and Gagne would have been fine for the last 6 seconds.

Two of the guys in the box were defensemen and the other was Asham so, yes, the Flyers had plenty of options for that final faceoff.

Old
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Robo-Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
penguins are such babies. doesn't talbot realize that he's taking the faceoff against a guy who is only out there for one reason?
If I were Talbot, I'd assume my opponent's fighter was out there for the faceoff to fight, not cheapshot me in the back of the head.

Old
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
It wasnt a chippy game until we made it one. Also the league sent out a note to all teams that last minute physical statements will not be accepted and will therefore be reprimanded for such actions.
Doesn't change the fact that Carcillo was one of the few options to be out there at that time. You still don't put any of the top 6 or giroux/briere on the ice at that time.

Old
04-16-2009, 03:34 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that Carcillo was one of the few options to be out there at that time. You still don't put any of the top 6 or giroux/briere on the ice at that time.
Why? What is Pittsburgh going to do? The game was finished, they had a powerplay and Coburn and Guerin already covered the shenanigans.

Old
04-16-2009, 03:34 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The Pens weren't going to start anything. Why give the Flyers any extra motivation for Game 2? Powe and Knuble would have been fine. Hell, Richards and Gagne would have been fine for the last 6 seconds.

Two of the guys in the box were defensemen and the other was Asham so, yes, the Flyers had plenty of options for that final faceoff.
If Gagne, Richards, or Knuble had gotten slased would you have said it was fine? Look I would rather risk a carcillo suspension than a top 6 injury. I don't care if it a 100X more likely carcillo gets suspended I put him out there before I put any of the top 6 or valuable players out there.

Closed Thread