HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Official (Former) NATIONAL CHAMPS!! BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2009, 12:01 PM
  #76
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
If Cohen and/or the Avalanche is smart, they'll leave him in Boston for another year. Actually the guy I'd be most concerned about leaving early from a developmental standpoint is Strait, he's the most pro-ready guy.

I really think with Strait, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Warsofsky, and Gryba all returning though, that this team could still be a contender next season. When 5/6 of possibly the best defensive corps ever assembled in college hockey are returning...well, you've still got one helluva defensive corps.
Yeah, I think the Avs will keep him and Shat at BU, they both could stand to learn a bit more and eliminate the basic mistakes from their game.

I'm not sure what more Strait has to learn tbh, he seems like he should jump, but I don't think he will.

I agree with what you said about becoming more defensive minded, Kieran played incredibly well this year and we got a lot of the D coming back.

The offense might be an issue, but with Bonino, Connolly, Trivino, and Saponari, they might have something to build on and Z. Cohen, Popko, and Perreira should be a killer 3rd line.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:13 PM
  #77
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,705
vCash: 250
Congrats to BU.Best team all year and they proved it yesterday with a dramatic come from behind win.That's what championship teams do and they did it.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:57 PM
  #78
Jori
Registered User
 
Jori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 20,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Cohen wanted to leave after last year, so we'll see if he's back.

Both him and Shatty have a lot of room for improvement though, they both have defensive lapses a little too often.
Really? He's definately not ready and both he and Shattenkirk need to refine their games.

__________________
Colorado Avalanche Prospects-- News and updates on the future of the Colorado Avalanche!
Colorado's Future -- Team * Manning * Landeskog * Tulowitzki
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:42 PM
  #79
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The offense might be an issue, but with Bonino, Connolly, Trivino, and Saponari, they might have something to build on and Z. Cohen, Popko, and Perreira should be a killer 3rd line.
I think we'll see Zach off of Popko's line next year. With 5 of the top 6 gone, and Jack's unwillingness (and probably with good reason next year) to put freshmen in the top six right away, Zach Cohen could easily be on the 2nd line next year, he's a goal scorer that has become excellent along the boards and around the crease.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
  #80
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Well one thing is for certain - Jack has made no secret that he's coming back for another year. He's just not ready to call it career just yet, despite some of the rumors that circulated after the National Championship game that he might finally retire.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
  #81
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I think we'll see Zach off of Popko's line next year. With 5 of the top 6 gone, and Jack's unwillingness (and probably with good reason next year) to put freshmen in the top six right away, Zach Cohen could easily be on the 2nd line next year, he's a goal scorer that has become excellent along the boards and around the crease.
I agree somewhat. I think Connolly-Trivino-Saponari will stay together, and Cohen will move to the line with Bonino (which I don't know I'd call the "2nd line"). Who the other wing will be though I have no idea. Perreira/K. Gilroy/Glass/Saponari the Elder are the non-freshman choices...

I think the fact the Cohen was used as an extra attacker in the Miami game (which paid off) shows what Parker thinks of him as an offensive player.

=====

Strait and Shattenkirk are co-caps next year. Pretty obvious choice in this season's alternate Strait, and Shattenkirk has been captain at the NTDP and alternate at the WJCs for Team USA.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 05:50 PM
  #82
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
I agree somewhat. I think Connolly-Trivino-Saponari will stay together, and Cohen will move to the line with Bonino (which I don't know I'd call the "2nd line"). Who the other wing will be though I have no idea. Perreira/K. Gilroy/Glass/Saponari the Elder are the non-freshman choices...

I think the fact the Cohen was used as an extra attacker in the Miami game (which paid off) shows what Parker thinks of him as an offensive player.

=====

Strait and Shattenkirk are co-caps next year. Pretty obvious choice in this season's alternate Strait, and Shattenkirk has been captain at the NTDP and alternate at the WJCs for Team USA.
I think that Vinny is going to have to be on the top line, he's now the best RW the team has, so unfortunately the current freshmen will be broken up. Glass or Chiasson could be the right winger for them.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 01:06 PM
  #83
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
This is probably old news by now and I'm sure the folks over on the Bruins board have already reported this, but I'll post it here anyway. Jason Lawrence signed a PTO with the baby Bruins yesterday HERE is the link.

Nice to see Jason getting some love from the pros. During his four years at BU, he was always one of my fave Terriers, so it's good to see him moving on.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
  #84
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
This is probably old news by now and I'm sure the folks over on the Bruins board have already reported this, but I'll post it here anyway. Jason Lawrence signed a PTO with the baby Bruins yesterday HERE is the link.

Nice to see Jason getting some love from the pros. During his four years at BU, he was always one of my fave Terriers, so it's good to see him moving on.
If only it wasn't the baby Bruins...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
  #85
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,029
vCash: 500
Strait goes pro, signs with Pittsburgh

Can't blame him, he has nothing left to learn or prove at this level.

So the defense looks like
Shattenkirk-Cohen
Gryba-Warsofsky
Nicastro-Ruikka/Rosen

Still not bad.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:12 PM
  #86
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,029
vCash: 500
Escobedo will come in this season to replace Strait.

Shattenkirk-Cohen
Gryba-Warsofsky
Nicastro-Escobedo

Shattenkirk will wear the C, Gryba and Bonino get A's.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
  #87
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Escobedo will come in this season to replace Strait.

Shattenkirk-Cohen
Gryba-Warsofsky
Nicastro-Escobedo

Shattenkirk will wear the C, Gryba and Bonino get A's.
No way will they pair two freshman together. I'm sure they will break up Gryba-Warsofsky.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
  #88
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
One of the big news stories from earlier this week was out of BU.

For those that haven't seen it yet, David Quinn has left the team and been named as Lake Erie's (AHL) new head coach. Quinn had been mentioned as one of the candidates for the UNO job before Dean Blais landed it. Quinn's name had also been mentioned for several other coaches opening both inside and outside of the college hockey community, so this shouldn't come as a complete surprise to those who follow BU closely.

I personally will miss him. He was one of my favorite assistant/associate head coaches and he's also a darn good recruiter too. BU's loss is certainly Lake Erie's gain and I wish him nothing but the best.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:20 AM
  #89
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
One of the big news stories from earlier this week was out of BU.

For those that haven't seen it yet, David Quinn has left the team and been named as Lake Erie's (AHL) new head coach. Quinn had been mentioned as one of the candidates for the UNO job before Dean Blais landed it. Quinn's name had also been mentioned for several other coaches opening both inside and outside of the college hockey community, so this shouldn't come as a complete surprise to those who follow BU closely.

I personally will miss him. He was one of my favorite assistant/associate head coaches and he's also a darn good recruiter too. BU's loss is certainly Lake Erie's gain and I wish him nothing but the best.
Quinn deserves the opportunity, he's done a great job at BU. Kind of fitting he's going to Lake Erie--he could end up coaching Yip (who I'm kinda surprised hasn't inked a deal yet, although I guess he's still got 1.5 months), Shattenkirk, Cohen, and Millan while with the Monsters in the coming years.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:20 PM
  #90
Honu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 808
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Other news: Ben Rosen from the South Shore Kings (EJHL) will be joining the team. He was originally set to go to Brown but decommitted in March.

Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:45 AM
  #91
Dru2318
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I think that Vinny is going to have to be on the top line, he's now the best RW the team has, so unfortunately the current freshmen will be broken up. Glass or Chiasson could be the right winger for them.
I think Saponari goes on the top line with Bonino and Connolly. Chiasson sounds like he may be legit enough to play in the top 6, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing with Trivino and Cohen/Glass. I hope Parker has a plan for 4th line center though because I think Connolly plays much better on the wing than in the middle.

Dru2318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:48 AM
  #92
Dru2318
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
No way will they pair two freshman together. I'm sure they will break up Gryba-Warsofsky.
You're probably right that he will break up Warsofsky and Gryba to play with the freshmen at first, but I bet he'll put them back together as soon as he feels they can handle it. That's how he went about it with Cohen Shattenkirk during their first year.

Dru2318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 12:20 AM
  #93
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,029
vCash: 500
09-10 Schedule is out: http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-h...key-sched.html

Non-conference opponents:

Home: Notre Dame, Michigan, RPI
Away: Harvard
Neutral: Cornell (MSG--Red Hot Hockey), Beanpot (Northeastern, BC/Harvard)

2 fewer non-conference games than last year.
Aside from the Beanpot, no other mid-season tournaments this year.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
  #94
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
09-10 Schedule is out: http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-h...key-sched.html

Non-conference opponents:

Home: Notre Dame, Michigan, RPI
Away: Harvard
Neutral: Cornell (MSG--Red Hot Hockey), Beanpot (Northeastern, BC/Harvard)

2 fewer non-conference games than last year.
Aside from the Beanpot, no other mid-season tournaments this year.
Slug, you've gotta be totally excited about the BC game at Fenway though! That place is going to be jumping come January.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:47 PM
  #95
Honu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 808
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Rumor that I hope is false: Ryan Ruikka tore his ACl and is out for the year...again. This kid can't buy a break.

Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:54 AM
  #96
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Terriers TV Schedule:

For all you Terriers fans out there....

Oct. 20 vs. Notre Dame (ESPNU)
Nov. 21 vs. New Hampshire (NESN)
Dec. 11 vs. Rensselaer (NESN)
Jan. 2 vs. Massachusetts (ESPNU)
Jan. 8 vs. Boston College - Frozen Fenway (NESN)
Jan. 15 at Providence (NESN)
Jan. 22 at Boston College (NESN)
Jan. 23 vs. New Hampshire (NESN)
Feb. 1 vs. Northeastern - Beanpot (NESN)
Feb. 8 Beanpot Championship Game (NESN)
Feb. 12 vs. Maine (NESN)
Feb. 26 at Vermont (NESN)
Feb. 28 at Vermont (ESPNU)

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:37 AM
  #97
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Team doesn't appear to have much offense this year unfortunately. They do generate some chances, but Bonino might be the only legit finisher the team has, but Connolly and Trivino failed to cash in on breakaways against UND.

Still though, the defense looks solid (Nicastro and Escobedo have both been good) and it's a young team, so hopefully they'll mesh together well.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:45 AM
  #98
Titan124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,683
vCash: 500
I'm scared about this game tonight. They lost to a scrub in Lowell, a good team in Notre Dame 3-0, and now they're playing Michigan. Maybe Chiasson will turn out to be a phenom and carry the offense (oh god I hope so).

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:11 AM
  #99
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan124 View Post
I'm scared about this game tonight. They lost to a scrub in Lowell, a good team in Notre Dame 3-0, and now they're playing Michigan. Maybe Chiasson will turn out to be a phenom and carry the offense (oh god I hope so).
Awesome game as it turned out, really chippy and Millan was huge in net before Hogan blew it for Michigan, nice 3-2 win.

Bonino dislocated his shoulder though.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 12:18 PM
  #100
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan124 View Post
I'm scared about this game tonight. They lost to a scrub in Lowell, a good team in Notre Dame 3-0, and now they're playing Michigan. Maybe Chiasson will turn out to be a phenom and carry the offense (oh god I hope so).
UMass (Amherst), not Lowell--they play a set against Lowell coming up. And Lowell is for real this year--BU barely beat them in the HE championship last year and they pretty much return that same roster.

The Bonino injury will hurt--they need guys to step up offensively. With him out, there will be no one from last year's top 6 in the lineup.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.