HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild were looking for permission to speak to Dave Nonis. Leafs Decline permission.

Old
04-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
Wild were looking for permission to speak to Dave Nonis. Leafs Decline permission.

http://tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=275335

Interesting....

Old
04-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Cool Beans Man

Good to see. We're lucky to have Nonis as part as this management team.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 2735
the nonis haters on the nucks board will have a field day with this discussion

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
no nonis for them...

hey someone give em JFJ's number

Dreger is Nonis's cousin right?

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
NCPokey

Surprising that he wouldn't be given permission, I didn't think Burke would stand in his old buddy's way if there was a potential job there for him.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:43 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPokey View Post
Surprising that he wouldn't be given permission, I didn't think Burke would stand in his old buddy's way if there was a potential job there for him.
Perhaps Burke knows Nonis won't get the job right now and wants to increase his perceived value to the Leafs, making him more sought after by desperate teams.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

GOOD

Minnesota don't need Nonis. Nonis is the worst drafter ever.... he is scared to make moves and is not a good gm.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
GOOD

Minnesota don't need Nonis. Nonis is the worst drafter ever.... he is scared to make moves and is not a good gm.
Risebrough did well drafting AJ Thelen ahead of Drew Stafford, Alexander Radulov and Travis Zajac.

Also, picking Benoit Pouliot ahead of Carey Price, Devin Setoguchi, Anze Kopitar and Marc Staal was a shrewd move.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:51 PM
landfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post
Risebrough did well drafting AJ Thelen ahead of Drew Stafford, Alexander Radulov and Travis Zajac.

Also, picking Benoit Pouliot ahead of Carey Price, Devin Setoguchi, Anze Kopitar and Marc Staal was a shrewd move.
Risebrough had a great draft record with the wild did he not?

landfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:55 PM
God
Free Citizen

Nonis is an okay drafter. I think his biggest mistake was putting too much trust into Delorme, who is a horrible judge of talent.

For a guy who got us Raymond, Schneider, and more importantly Edler, he's done an okay job. Grabner's actually looking to be a decent second line goal scorer. I'm not putting Bourdon on his resume, though, because he took him ahead of Kopitar, which is absolutely inexcusable considering that Kopitar should have been top 5 in that draft and that the pick had "I'm trying to replace Jovanovski" written all over.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:32 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPokey View Post
I'd be surprised if his(Nonis) opinion wasn't first sought. I'm sure if he had a keen interest permission would have been immediately granted.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Peter Griffin

Nonis and Burke really do have a Randy and Lahey type relationship, don't they?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

As said on Leaf Board, no reason to allow Nonis to talk to others while he knows all of Burkes plans for draft/UFA. Maybe after Toronto is satisfied, but Nonis knows too much (as conspiracy-theoryish as that sounds).

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:44 AM
KeanuReeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Nonis is an okay drafter. I think his biggest mistake was putting too much trust into Delorme, who is a horrible judge of talent.

For a guy who got us Raymond, Schneider, and more importantly Edler, he's done an okay job. Grabner's actually looking to be a decent second line goal scorer. I'm not putting Bourdon on his resume, though, because he took him ahead of Kopitar, which is absolutely inexcusable considering that Kopitar should have been top 5 in that draft and that the pick had "I'm trying to replace Jovanovski" written all over.

Kopitar is awesome and all, considering all that he's done at such a young age...and would have been tremendous for the Canucks as that 2nd line center they were looking for before they got Sundin, but you can't say that Bourdon wasn't going to become a stud for the Canucks as it looked like was going to happen at the end of last season before the accident. We all know it typically takes longer for defensemen to develop rather than forwards, and accordingly defensemen are typically more valued than forwards since there are less of them, so I think Nonis's choice for Bourdon rather than Kopitar might not have been "hindsight's" number one choice but its still a quality pick by Nonis according to my opinion of what Bourdon would have become for the Canucks franchise. You never know, in the long run a Bourdon might have been more valuable than a Kopitar and I think this fascination by Canucks fans that they "should have drafted Kopitar" should disappear considering the circumstances of how it all played out.

KeanuReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
As said on Leaf Board, no reason to allow Nonis to talk to others while he knows all of Burkes plans for draft/UFA. Maybe after Toronto is satisfied, but Nonis knows too much (as conspiracy-theoryish as that sounds).
No that actually makes sense.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:58 AM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
As said on Leafs Board, no reason to allow Nonis to talk to others while he knows all of Burkes plans for draft/UFA. Maybe after Toronto is satisfied, but Nonis knows too much (as conspiracy-theoryish as that sounds).
No offence but that sounds rather silly.
Do they assume there isn't sufficient integrity in Nonis to accept his word that he would opt not to divulge that information? If so, are they not extremely worried about Burke's gross misinterpretation of Nonis character, especially after working so closely together for many years. A misjudgement of that magnitude would be alarming to put it mildly.

Old
04-17-2009, 01:16 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Do they assume there isn't sufficient integrity in Nonis to accept his word that he would opt not to divulge that information? If so, are they not extremely worried about Burke's gross misinterpretation of Nonis character, especially after working so closely together for many years. A misjudgement of that magnitude would be alarming to put it mildly.
I think it's more that Nonis and Burke have been discussing who to target for UFAs and trades. If Nonis becomes GM, then Nonis and Burke would probably be targeting the same players. For the draft, they have probably been working together to determine who to take. Who Burke likes is probably who Nonis likes.

Old
04-17-2009, 01:41 AM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
I think it's more that Nonis and Burke have been discussing who to target for UFAs and trades. If Nonis becomes GM, then Nonis and Burke would probably be targeting the same players. For the draft, they have probably been working together to determine who to take. Who Burke likes is probably who Nonis likes.
Yes obviously they communicate on draft picks and current NHL's.
But why do people think the Minnesota Wild and Toronto will target the same UFA's just because Burke let Nonis know he liked them. Its a longshot at best and the only issue i can see without reaching to the point of risking a serious shoulder hyperextension is if the Leafs were to target Gaborik. Then Nonis could inform ownership and get him inked ASAP. Even then if Minnesota has its heart set on resigning Gaborik they have months to get it done without fear of interference from anyone at all. If Gaborik has a predetermined notion to hit the open market neither Burke or Nonis have any option but to offer the best deal which is all the other 28 teams can do. Its not like the two teams will be battling eachother for a playoff spot ever which would be the only other credible scenario.

Besides, if Nonis has questionable integrity towards a man who has had a tremendous positive impact on his career its best to part company anyway IMO.

Old
04-17-2009, 10:44 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Yes obviously they communicate on draft picks and current NHL's.
But why do people think the Minnesota Wild and Toronto will target the same UFA's just because Burke let Nonis know he liked them. Its a longshot at best and the only issue i can see without reaching to the point of risking a serious shoulder hyperextension is if the Leafs were to target Gaborik. Then Nonis could inform ownership and get him inked ASAP. Even then if Minnesota has its heart set on resigning Gaborik they have months to get it done without fear of interference from anyone at all. If Gaborik has a predetermined notion to hit the open market neither Burke or Nonis have any option but to offer the best deal which is all the other 28 teams can do. Its not like the two teams will be battling eachother for a playoff spot ever which would be the only other credible scenario.

Besides, if Nonis has questionable integrity towards a man who has had a tremendous positive impact on his career its best to part company anyway IMO.
It's not the big signings that matter, it's the one or two third line guys who Burke/Nonis believe may be had for cheap and have high potential. The so called diamonds in the rough. Obviously knowing that Burke wants to sign Gaborik would have no benefit as every team would sign him for the right price. But there might be one third line guy that they've identified who they think can be a top 6 down the road.

Old
04-17-2009, 11:07 AM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
It's not the big signings that matter, it's the one or two third line guys who Burke/Nonis believe may be had for cheap and have high potential. The so called diamonds in the rough. Obviously knowing that Burke wants to sign Gaborik would have no benefit as every team would sign him for the right price. But there might be one third line guy that they've identified who they think can be a top 6 down the road.
Do you honestly believe this to be the case?
I'll leave it back at my "sounds silly" to put it mildly opinion of earlier.

Old
04-17-2009, 11:12 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Nonis probably makes more with the Leafs than most GMs do.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
NuxFan09

LOL, this rumour is so fitting because Dave Nonis seems like he would fit like a glove with the Wild organization. Yeah, the Wild needs a guy who's gonna sign a bunch of Isbister's and Ritchie's and Chouinard's in hopes they become go-to guys for the club.

Dave Nonis = Doug Riseborough.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
What if Nonis has been courting Euro/college UFAs? He coudl take em with him if he went to another team. Burke suerly wouldnt want that.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:18 AM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Nonis probably makes more with the Leafs than most GMs do.
Probably won't bump into him in line at the food bank, thats for sure.

Old
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
The Saurus

I'm glad the Leafs denied permission.

Their management team is extremely good: Burke, Nonis, Nieuwy and Fletcher as an adviser.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote